• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famed pick up artist and author, Neil Strauss, has a funeral for his single life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its ridiculous to call PUA creepy or whatever, because why should women have magazines and books about men and dating available to them, when if men have them its automatically awful or shameful?
The usual difference is that garbage women's advice stuff is about the woman changing herself to please the man (which is awful in itself), while the garbage men's advice stuff is about the man manipulating and gaming the woman.

i'm pretty amused by the PUA culture. They've managed to make getting girls a lame, nerdy pursuit. The subculture is really hilarious, stuff like the nicknames they use, and the peacocking fashion.

I'm even more amused by stuff like this though,
nCidahul.png
The amount of vitriol is really funny. Are you really that threatened by pick-up artists?

Liu Kang said:
The usual difference is that garbage women's advice stuff is about the woman changing herself to please the man (which is awful in itself), while the garbage men's advice stuff is about the man manipulating and gaming the woman.
cosmo.jpg

Telling women how to talk dirty. Doesn't seem that much different than Style telling men what to say to women in order to have sex with them. Also, what to to when men pull away, sounds like it could be manipulative.

And this was the first cosmo cover that came up in google, didn't have to seek it out.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Define "work"

Did they get him laid? Yes

Was he a miserable person? Was he using PUA as a way of running from his emotional problems? Did he, deep down, actually crave intimacy rather than lay counts? Yes

how did you get all that? o_O

Fantasmo

The amount of vitriol is really funny. Are you really that threatened by pick-up artists?

I think he is. What gets me is that the guys that seek this stuff out actually really need help. For guys like that, the dating game is incredibly lopsided. And more than that, they would make for amazing boyfriends or husbands, it's just that their desperation is bleeding out and they don't know how to make a good impression. And since everyone is saying "be yourself" and it isn't working, these guys pick up the slack. Can someone take advantage of it? Sure, but some women use their sexuality against men too. And the simple fix to that? Just leave!

twofold

I can't imagine it being anything other than a total waste of money since it's all free online. Nothing helps more than experience, but RSD can help you get past sticking points. But since someone shamelessly ripped this onto Youtube and since they have their own official videos, I can't imagine anyone needing a seminar. You still have to do all the gruntwork and face tons of rejection yourself. You can consume their stuff til your eyes bleed, but there's no other way to develop a thicker skin than actually go through it.

Oh man, it's been a good few years since I've seen any rsd stuff. I forgot how weird tyler is. Amusing vid, though!

Train a nerd like an animal.

Stuff like this is being said in a extremely popular, widely-sold magazine. Yet, there is way more hate being thrown at a small subculture of nerds who give each other advice on picking up women.

Fantasm said:
I think he is. What gets me is that the guys that seek this stuff out actually really need help. For guys like that, the dating game is incredibly lopsided. And more than that, they would make for amazing boyfriends or husbands, it's just that their desperation is bleeding out and they don't know how to make a good impression. And since everyone is saying "be yourself" and it isn't working, these guys pick up the slack. Can someone take advantage of it? Sure, but some women use their sexuality against men too. And the simple fix to that? Just leave!

Yeah, I think it's pretty normal to ask your guy friends advice on how to pick up or keep a woman around. Like, you get a text from a girl and ask your roommate if your planned response is lame or not. I don't think the guy in that scenario is pathetic or creepy.

The problem is that there are a lot of shut-ins and nerds who don't have any friends who are capable of picking up women. They have to turn to online communities for advice. This is great provided they are getting earnest advice. Though it seems like a lot of advice they get is bad, or coming from a charlatan trying to profit off of their desperation, which sucks.

Stuff like this is being said in a extremely popular, widely-sold magazine. Yet, there is way more hate being thrown at a small subculture of nerds who give each other advice on picking up women.
I think there is confirmation bias here. The mentally abusive nature of women's magazines is a well-known, decades-old problem.

Bleepey

This is so fucking true. Guys may have to be taught to be more confident, to learn how to deal with rejection. Hell i am sure a woman could make a killing writing a dating guide on how to pick up women. You could call it a Feminists guide to picking up women and not being a "Nice guy".

Why is it garbage for a woman to want to learn how to please her man (and vice versa)? Plus, I haven't read the Rules books but from the synopsis i read there seemed to be way more psychological manipulative stuff in it than the Game, which to be honest is more of a memoir than a seduction guide. Hell, what people forget, or wouldn't know since they haven't actually read the book is that *slight spoilers* the PUA community goes to shit at the end. That said I am the type of guy who'd tell girls i know and even told girls I was trying to date about the Game so meh.

Tenks

Exactly. The reason it exists in the first place is to get guys who have no clue, to actually get and have a clue. Its ridiculous to call PUA creepy or whatever, because why should women have magazines and books about men and dating available to them, when if men have them its automatically awful or shameful? It's not like its mind control where the woman can't leave or not be interested or something. This stuff teaches guys about what women want in a man, to men that haven't a clue. And honestly, dating coach or not, it takes a lot of relationship experience and some luck to get through mismatches and find someone you really fancy, men and women alike. It really needs a new name though. Dating for men or something.

I think part of the issue is how they display the information. They act like you have to do all these things for it to work and they go very hyperbolic with their examples. Peacocking is really nothing more than finding your own personal sense of style and not being afraid to stand out from a crowd. Negging is simply not putting the pussy on a pedestal and not letting a girl get away with everything simply because you're attracted to her. DHV/DLV is simply a way to start a chain of conversation with someone by bringing up past experiences. IOI is simply reading body language. None of this is creepy and to some guys it comes very naturally. I know my biggest problem was always always thinking girls were some alien species and not knowing how to talk to them. DHV is a good way to get around that which is basically just having some pre-canned conversation items. Once we got a conversation I let the girl say and do anything she liked because she was a female giving me attention. Again negging is simply not letting her say and do anything and not ribbing her a bit if she's acting odd. None of this is out of the ordinary or creepy. Sure the way it is presented often times is odd but in real-world implementation it is simply called "Talking to another human being."

liquidtmd

Banned

Brofist.

Girls dislike sycophants to them more than guys do. Have some confidence, humour, reality, upfrontedness - these kinda guys go in with the attitude of 'nothing to lose' and that kind of honest is all people (men and women) want

Don't put the pussy on a...something

Bleepey

I think part of the issue is how they display the information. They act like you have to do all these things for it to work and they go very hyperbolic with their examples. Peacocking is really nothing more than finding your own personal sense of style and not being afraid to stand out from a crowd. Negging is simply not putting the pussy on a pedestal and not letting a girl get away with everything simply because you're attracted to her. DHV/DLV is simply a way to start a chain of conversation with someone by bringing up past experiences. IOI is simply reading body language. None of this is creepy and to some guys it comes very naturally. I know my biggest problem was always always thinking girls were some alien species and not knowing how to talk to them. DHV is a good way to get around that which is basically just having some pre-canned conversation items. Once we got a conversation I let the girl say and do anything she liked because she was a female giving me attention. Again negging is simply not letting her say and do anything and not ribbing her a bit if she's acting odd. None of this is out of the ordinary or creepy. Sure the way it is presented often times is odd but in real-world implementation it is simply called "Talking to another human being."
I have talked to some girls about this, and they seem to think negging is a way to beat a girls self esteem down to make you seem worthy. Sort of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqTE-ig7NhY

But what i always saw it as was so as not to seem like a sycophant constantly throwing compliments her away.

The article makes it sound like The Game is a guide to picking up women when it totally isn't. Yes, he does go over some techniques in the book, but it isn't any kind of guide, it's an account of the year or so he spent living with a group of pick up artists leaning their "culture" and shit. It's a pretty good and interesting read, really. At least IMO.

Kinda hilarious that he's doing this funeral for Style. I actually thought he gave up all the PUA stuff once he was done with the book.

Fantasmo

Peacocking doesn't exist in the culture anymore. The rule of thumb now is to look groomed unless you have serious swag.

And I don't think anyone calls it negging anymore but done right, it's just playful teasing between a man and a woman, and it gives both a big rush and some laughs and if she's good she'll tease you right back. It's not being hostile. People like to bash it down like it's destroying someone's self esteem, but it's not at all like that. Yeah, Mystery was outright mean sometimes, but that only worked because the girls were really into him. Being mean to the wrong lady will get you slapped fast and hard lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This guy is such a douche bag. I'll give him props for getting paid for his nonsense, though.

Tenks

I have talked to some girls about this, and they seem to think negging is a way to beat a girls self esteem down to make you seem worthy. Sort of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqTE-ig7NhY

But what i always saw it as was so as not to seem like a sycophant constantly throwing compliments her away.

The issue with talking to girls about PUA stuff is that girls have no experience trying to pick up females cold in a social setting. Just because they are a female doesn't make them the authority on how to attract females. They don't have to do it. Most people have a misunderstanding of negging mainly because it is, by far, the hardest part of PUA. Because things can go horribly wrong quickly. Negging isn't designed to bring a girl down to your level. It is designed to show the girl you are on her level. There should be no self esteem loss or insults slung. It is playful ribbing. Something everyone does with people they're comfortable around.

Tenks

Peacocking doesn't exist in the culture anymore. The rule of thumb now is to look groomed unless you have serious swag.

And I don't think anyone calls it negging anymore but done right, it's just playful teasing between a man and a woman, and it gives both a big rush and some laughs and if she's good she'll tease you right back. It's not being hostile. People like to bash it down like it's destroying someone's self esteem, but it's not at all like that. Yeah, Mystery was outright mean sometimes, but that only worked because the girls were really into him. Being mean to the wrong lady will get you slapped fast and hard lol.

Ah my information is all at least 5 years dated now at this point. So there have probably been major revisions to the ideas I'm sure.

twofold

Kinda hilarious that he's doing this funeral for Style. I actually thought he gave up all the PUA stuff once he was done with the book.

Hah, no. He set up his own pickup company and went on to profit millions from it.

'The Game' is actually an advert for 'Style', if you look at it carefully. Strauss never describes anyone in the book in flattering ways. Mystery is always described as tall, strange looking and gangly, for example. Strauss constantly talks himself up throughout the book, though - he's the only person who comes out looking good by the end of it. Quite smart really.

BocoDragon

And I don't think anyone calls it negging anymore but done right, it's just playful teasing between a man and a woman, and it gives both a big rush and some laughs. It's not being hostile. Mystery was outright mean sometimes, but that only worked because the girls were really into him. Being mean to the wrong lady will get you slapped fast and hard lol.
If it ever worked at all, it was because it tapped into a particular game native to subcultures of American society - the play fight.

There is nothing natural in male-female dynamics about the "neg", and it is plain as day if you date women outside of the American club scene.

Most women worldwide prefer straight up gentlemen to the "teasing douchebag" approach.

Fantasmo

This is so fucking true. Guys may have to be taught to be more confident, to learn how to deal with rejection. Hell i am sure a woman could make a killing writing a dating guide on how to pick up women. You could call it a Feminists guide to picking up women and not being a "Nice guy".

Personally I'd rather get advice from men who have had success since as a man, you want to understand the mindset. But yes there are women who help guys out. Here's one, pretty lady too.

If it ever worked at all, it was because it tapped into a particular game native to American society - the play fight.

There is nothing natural in male-female dynamics about the "neg", and it is plain as day if you date women outside of the American club scene.

Most women worldwide prefer straight up gentlemen to the "teasing douchebag" approach.
That's not true. I've travelled to Europe many times throughout my life. Women like teasing as long as they can tell you mean no harm by it. It's a turn on. Being able to goof around with your mate is attractive. It gets both the man and women out of their boring life and to be silly.

Tenks

If it ever worked at all, it was because it tapped into a particular game native to subcultures of American society - the play fight.

Citation required about every line of this post

Pau

This has more to do with the fact that you probably don't run in circles where there is a female majority. Because I see people (mostly women) shitting on stuff like Cosmo all the time. Not on GAF though for obvious reasons.

twofold

'Most women prefer'? Haha, what?

Different women like different things. You can go approach 10 different women and say the exact same thing and you'll most likely get 10 very different responses. Some women like cocky guys, while others like quiet guys, and others like guys who are very 'gentlemen-y', as you put it.

Your post is absolutely ludicrous.

Fantasmo

Different women like different things. You could go approach 10 different women and say the exact same thing and you'll most likely get 10 very different responses. Some women like cocky guys, while others like quiet guys, and others like guys who are very 'gentlemen-y', as you put it.

This post is more accurate than mine. Just like there are plenty of guys with no sense of humor, plenty of girls don't either. But I can honestly say I've met women all over the place, not just American club girls, that enjoy goofing around.

BocoDragon

Different women like different things. You could go approach 10 different women and say the exact same thing and you'll most likely get 10 very different responses. Some women like cocky guys, while others like quiet guys, and others like guys who are very 'gentlemen-y', as you put it.

That's exactly my point: women are diverse.

But do you think more than 50% of them like the "fake insult" schtick - as asserted as an article of faith by the pick up community? No. It's a vanishingly small minority of women on this planet who would respond well to that.

If you read my post as anything but "the neg is nonsense bullshit", you read it wrong.

If you start any sentence with "most women prefer" you're part of the problem.
Women are people, not some homogeneous group that all love the same thing.

But do you think more than 50% of them like the "fake insult" schtick - as asserted as an article of faith by the pick up community? No. It's a vanishingly small minority of women on this planet who would respond well to that.

If you read my post as anything but "the neg is nonsense bullshit", you read it wrong.

Ok, but that's not the point here. The options are not "I love fake insult schtick" and "I hate fake insult schtick". One woman might like it sometimes, one woman might like it all the time, one woman might always hate it, one woman might like it if it's delivered in a certain way but not others. This is not a zero sum game.

I also wanted to mention that this isn't me defending negging as it seems to be described by you. I'm thinking more of playful teasing and such.

Tenks

I think you're woefully uninformed on this topic since you refer to negging as "fake insult" which is basically in bold, red, capital letters on the first sentence of the negging chapter saying "Negging is not insulting a woman."

BocoDragon

If you start any sentence with "most women prefer" you're part of the problem.
Women are people, not some homogeneous group that all love the same thing.
No, it's perfectly fair to say most women don't respond to a bizzare pick up strategy invented by a small cadre of Internet losers in the 2000s.

I read some of these guys books. They have some good stuff but some of the stuff seems well a bit strange.

I went into their official message boards and holy shit. Some of the "teachers" (they regularly post online) are stupid as fuck. Not in a picking up girls kind of way, but in a teaching students kind of way. They all take the "if you want to swim then just jump in the water and start swimming" kind of way. They all take the perspective that all these guys already have all the equipped social skills and ability of attaining status to become a "player". I don't mean its not possible for most people to become a ladies man, but I highly doubt the advice I'd give someone who has trouble with girls is to "find a group of hot girls and guys, socialize with them, and become the "leader of the group. Then talk to hot girls."

Bleepey

I read some of these guys books. They have some good stuff but some of the stuff seems well a bit strange.

I went into their official message boards and holy shit. Some of the "teachers" (they regularly post online) are stupid as fuck. Not in a picking up girls kind of way, but in a teaching students kind of way. They all take the "if you want to swim then just jump in the water and start swimming" kind of way. They all take the perspective that all these guys already have all the equipped social skills and ability of attaining status to become a "player". I don't mean its not possible for most people to become a ladies man, but I highly doubt the advice I'd give someone who has trouble with girls is to "find a group of hot girls and guys, socialize with them, and become the "leader of the group. Then talk to hot girls."

According to some of the people criticising PUAs they should already be equipped with these skills.

This has more to do with the fact that you probably don't run in circles where there is a female majority. Because I see people (mostly women) shitting on stuff like Cosmo all the time. Not on GAF though for obvious reasons.

Actually talking to women like they're people isn't how you win the Game.

twofold

More than 50%? What? Who cares?

Like someone posted on the last page, picking up girls is a numbers game. The girl will decide within seconds whether she likes you or not. If she does, you can say whatever the hell you want and she'll still like you. If she doesn't, no amounts of 'negs' or 'acting gentlemen-y' will get her to like you.

The idea that there is some magic technique that will work on more than 50% of women is absurd.

BocoDragon

I think you're woefully uninformed on this topic since you refer to negging as "fake insult" which is basically in bold, red, capital letters on the first sentence of the negging chapter saying "Negging is not insulting a woman."
I know exactly what they have said its supposed to be. I read that trash years ago. It started as insult game in the 90s, and eventually they refined the rhetoric into "demonstrating your value".

But it's the same shit in the end. You adopt a fake persona, whereby you say things that are negative (by definition) to a woman, in the hopes that she will sleep with you.

It doesn't work on women in general. It probably does work on certain broken women drunk out of their minds in a particular culture where they have learned to socialize through ribbing, but it has nothing to do with appealing to actual female psychology.

And why would it be true? Why would the groupthink of a few hundred individuals on the Internet yield hard truths about male-female interactions? That's not science, that's religion.

Like someone posted on the last page, picking up girls is a numbers game. The girl will decide within seconds whether she likes you or not. If she does, you can say whatever the hell you want and she'll still like you. If she doesn't, no amounts of 'negs' or 'acting gentlemen-y' will get her to like you.

The idea that there is some magic technique that will work on more than 50% of women is absurd.

I need to get in on this market and just make some cologne called "Bitches Be Wet" and advertise as a scent that attracts women and makes them want to hump you.

BocoDragon

I said 50% because it is, by definition, the majority , which you called me out on.

I am not the one who made a generalization about women. In fact, by saying that the "neg" is a nonsense strategy that works on very few of them, I am actually saying that they are a diverse group, so adopting a cynical and bizzare "strategy" is a fool's errand.

Fantasmo

I said 50% because it is, by definition, the majority , which you called me out on.

I am not the one who made a generalization about women. In fact, by saying that the "neg" is a nonsense strategy that works on very few of them, I am actually saying that they are a diverse group, so adopting a cynical and bizzare "strategy" is a fool's errand.
I'm not going to be a percentage guy but I will say tons of well adjusted people, not just men, not just women, people, have a sense of humor and enjoy some light ribbing which definitely goes hand in hand with flirting. Personally, I don't like people without a sense of humor, so while I will typically be respectful, I don't keep any of them close. They tend to buzzkill and analyze everything in a negative light.

twofold

But you did make a generalisation about women. Here, let me quote it.

'Most women worldwide prefer straight up gentlemen to the "teasing douchebag" approach.'

This statement is flat out absurd.

BocoDragon

But you did make a generalisation about women. Here, let me quote it.

'Most women worldwide prefer straight up gentlemen to the "teasing douchebag" approach.'

This statement is flat out absurd.
It's absurd to say that most women don't respond to the teasing douchebag approach?

I would call that a banal statement of fact. People in general don't respond well to teasing douchebags.

Fantasmo

It's absurd to say that most women don't respond to the teasing douchebag approach?

I would call that a banal statement of fact. People in general don't respond well to teasing douchebags.

I'm not clear on where douchebag came from in this context. Anyone who considers some light ribbing to be douchebaggery would probably do well to go get a sense of humor. Stick in the muds are no fun.

twofold

It's absurd to say that most women respond or don't respond to anything.

Most women decide very quickly whether they like a guy or not. If a woman likes a guy, most of the things he says and does will be interpreted with a positive slant (with the exception of things that directly oppose her views, beliefs, and values). If a woman doesn't like a guy, most of the things he says and does will be interpreted with a negative slant.

This is why hitting on women is a numbers game. You can't control whether a woman will fall for you or not, so you have to keep approaching until you find one that does.

Are there ways to improve your chances? Of course. Dress well, groom yourself, hit the gym, and improve your body language. But these changes will only slightly improve your chances. At the end of the day, it's all still a numbers game.

It's absurd to say that most women respond or don't respond to anything.

Most women decide very quickly whether they like a guy or not. If a woman likes a guy, most of the things he says and does will be interpreted with a positive slant (with the exception of things that directly oppose her views, beliefs, and values). If a woman doesn't like a guy, most of the things he says and does will be interpreted with a negative slant.
This is why hitting on women is a numbers game. You can't control whether a woman will fall for you or not, so you have to keep approaching until you find one that does.

Are there ways to improve your chances? Of course. Dress well, groom yourself, hit the gym, and improve your body language. But these changes will only slightly improve your chances. At the end of the day, it's all still a numbers game.

You're telling him he can't generalize while you do the same.

BocoDragon

I'm not clear on where douchebag came from in this context. Anyone who considers some light ribbing to be douchebaggery would probably do well to go get a sense of humor. Stick in the muds are no fun.
I'm fine with fun, for the sake of having fun. If that's already your personality, no hate. Do what you do.

But as a strategy "I'm gonna go out and tease women because then they will sleep with me" - I don't think it actually works on the general female populace (it works on a narrow type in particular cultures), and it causes people to presume that jerkiness is a desirable trait in human interactions. It's actually an arbitrary way of going through life, and a rather negative one at that. Many women (and also men) often get very turned off by the "playful insult" approach. Its no guarantor of social success at all.

Tacitus_

RSD has grown into something pretty cool. Owen's accomplishments are nothing short of amazing, considering his looks (short, red hair, skinny) but I find he talks too much. His buddy Julien though I can identify with. He gets longwinded too, but otherwise is on point and pretty easy to relate to. If you search around you can find some of their actual pickup footage and if you're not a hater you can see how and why it works and that they're legit. One of them probably shows over a hundred examples of pickups and lots of them are stunning girls too.

HEY :<

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Once a self-aggrandising moron, always a self-aggrandising moron.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom