• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 2014 Top 100 - Japanese Software Sales

Vena

9 games over 500,000; 23 games over 250,000; 78 games over 100,000

*flashes back to 2007*

29 games over 500,000; 67 games over 250,000; >100 games over 100,000 (100th did 160,000 or so)

How does the software spread compare against numbers of hardware units in the wild?

This is the correct answer to all of the "X franchise has officially dethroned Mario/Pokemon!" proclamations. See where YW is compared to Pokemon five years from now, much less 20.

No one has said that. Seeing the rise of such a huge phenomenon is something, though.

L Thammy

Famitsu Top 100 2014

01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 3.050.178
05. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Shin Uchi <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.12.13} (¥4.968) - 2.007.327
06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 994.346 / 1.280.799

Top 5 Publisher

2. Level 5 - 6.210.000

So 97% of Level-5's sales have been Youkai Watch, and it's the number two publisher in Japan? Wow.

hold on

wtf is Yokai Watch and how is it outselling Pokemon?

A Pokemon clone, more or less. The TV show and merchandise are hits; apparently they have a ton of pop culture references, including a bunch that adults get.

boingball

Wow at Knack being the bestselling game on Playstation platforms.(Though probably because of bundles).

And another wow to Yo-Kai Watch selling better than Pokemon and MH.

Definitely proves there is still a big difference in how Japanese gamers are choosing to game and what franchises capture their interest versus NA gamers.

Calamari41

41 > 38
No one has said that. Seeing the rise of such a huge phenomenon is something, though.

It was said in this very thread.

I have nothing against YW, though. I am fascinated by Level 5's success... it seems like they always have a franchise absolutely tearing up the charts, but the franchise itself is a different one every couple of years. Do they just have their finger on the pulse of what people will go crazy for? Or do they have fans who buy their output no matter what it is? Or both?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
To be fair, the Yokai Watch games that outsold the Pokémon games were out for months longer and didn't outsell by much...

Yokai Watch is doing very well though. I'm surprised at the adoption rate for their enhanced version, especially as a patch adds most of it to the original one

I don't see YW lasting as long as Pokémon anyway. It's just the flavour of the month.

One shouldn't surprised as Level-5 planned the release accordingly with their film; which has grossed over 6 Billion yen. For comparison, the last Pokemon film was barely able to reach 3 Billion yen.

Pokemon is an evergreen property - almost been twenty years now it's been on the market, so obviously it was not going to retain the dominant position for a lifetime but I don't think Youkai Watch is a fad either.

Youkai Watch is appealing to a younger demographic ages 2-7; they have short attention span but if Level-5 can keep nurturing that audience, and be invested in the property as they grow, much like Pokemon did, then that flavor of the month will keep trucking along.

It's definitely going to be interesting. Pokemon Company does not like to be second. They are used to be number 1 so I'm interested to see what they have cooking for 2015.

JoeM86

One shouldn't surprised as Level-5 planned the release accordingly with their film; which has grossed over 6 Billion yen. For comparison, the last Pokemon film was barely able to reach 3 Billion yen.

Pokemon is an evergreen property - almost been twenty years now it's been on the market, so obviously it was not going to retain the dominant position for a lifetime but I don't think Youkai Watch is a fad either.

Youkai Watch is appealing to a younger demographic ages 2-7; they have short attention span but if Level-5 can keep nurturing that audience, and be invested in the property as they grow, much like Pokemon did, then that flavor of the month will keep trucking along.

It's definitely going to be interesting. Pokemon Company does not like to be second. They are used to be number 1 so I'm interested to see what they have cooking for 2015.

Indeed. According to my friends in Japan, Yokai Watch's audience is really youth orientated. Far more than Pokémon ever has been. She says that the appeal for the older audience just isn't there, unlike with Pokémon which has the complexity of the battle system etc. to lure the older base in.

I just fear franchise fatigue. It is literally everywhere, crossing over with things. I really do get the feeling that Level 5 are milking it as much as they can before its demise.

I too am intrigued. I mean hell, we have Pokkén Tournament coming this year, and Great Detective Pikachu. Both complete unknowns and very experimental. I'm excited for both.

We'll see how things are at the end of next year, though with my theory that there will be no main Pokémon game until Feb 2016, and no brand new entry until 2017, it'll be hard to gauge if true.

Sandfox

The 3rd game will tell us if Yokai Watch makes it or not, given Level 5's history.
With L5 I thinks its the transition to the next generation that kills them, but they're trying to push as much out of this series than they ever have before so who knows.

I don't trust L5 to do that given their history.
Regarding Yokai Watch vs Pokemon, I think it's worth noting that the last original Pokemon entry (X/Y) was still significantly bigger than Yokai Watch 2. So while 2014 was certainly the year of Yokai Watch, it still isn't quite as big as Pokemon. The new version of Yokai Watch 2 is selling about as well as the new Pokemon remake of Ruby/Sapphire, which is pretty great for a brand new franchise, but to determine if it really is bigger than Pokemon, we'll have to see how Yokai Watch 3 performs against the next brand new Pokemon title.

The next Pokemon title isn't going to be original.

L5 has never had a franchise on this scale, it'd be stupid of them to kill it after all the planning and investments they've made.

The next Pokemon title isn't going to be original.
i think next game will be 7th gen, possibility cross-gen 3ds/4ds, or just 3ds

donny2112

56. [WIU] Wii Fit U # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.02.01} (¥5.985) - 130.149

Should be

56. [WIU] Wii Fit U # <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.02.01} (¥5.985) - 130.149 / 188.918

Famitsu includes the sales of the hardware bundle for Wii Fit U along with the standalone, so need to add the 2013 total for the hardware bundle to the 2014 number. They've done that before with other bundled software released prior to the main physical software, too. (There was a version of RE5 with Move, think MH3G download version was included before physical release, etc.).

Thanks a lot for the MC 2013 Top 1000! If you're ever at the library and have some time to kill, it'd be great to see the Famitsu 2013 Top 1000, too. *hint, hint* :D

hiska-kun

what??
you can find the White Book in some library??

I found Media Create White Book 2013 in a library.
And my plan was to find someday the Famitsu's one too.
But I don't usually have enough time during on weekdays to check one, since it could take some hours.

cantona222

Yo-kai Watch franchise looks cute. Someone needs to make a special introduction thread for this game. It is #1 in Japan and we nothing about it 0_0
YW2_April_A01.jpg

Top Bottom