• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interview with Tabata details Final Fantasy XV's battle system and more

Dark_castle

These news seriously making me losing sleep and overall productivity at work/life. I still can't believe how this has happened. I remember the first day where we were shown the TGS trailer. It was amazing. Now? I can't even think straight anymore. Like, wow.....is this real life? Do we have to endure another several weeks to months to know if the battle system has changed from great to rubbish? Maybe? Maybe no???

FFXV has been my dream Final Fantasy for the longest time. How the fuck am I supposed to handle the potential likelihood that it can be worse than fucking FFXIII? HOW........

duckroll

Maybe you should just relax? It's just a game. It's not coming out for at least another year. The demo won't be out for 6 months. This doesn't sound healthy for you. :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Maybe you should just relax? It's just a game. It's not coming out for at least another year. The demo won't be out for 6 months. This doesn't sound healthy for you. :p

Pretty much.
Time to take a step back and wait for people to actually play the game on an actual machine because, as we all (should) know, trailers aren't everything.

HHTurtle

Neo Member
Pretty much.
Time to take a step back and wait for people to actually play the game on an actual machine because, as we all (should) know, trailers aren't everything.

I am still relatively new here on NeoGAF but I've heard rumors and such.

Does the "mass hysteria from jumping to conclusions" thing happen often here?

These news seriously making me losing sleep and overall productivity at work/life. I still can't believe how this has happened. I remember the first day where we were shown the TGS trailer. It was amazing. Now? I can't even think straight anymore. Like, wow.....is this real life? Do we have to endure another several weeks to months to know if the battle system has changed from great to rubbish? Maybe? Maybe no???

FFXV has been my dream Final Fantasy for the longest time. How the fuck am I supposed to handle the potential likelihood that it can be worse than fucking FFXIII? HOW........

if you are being serious, I can relate,if not then haha I'am only joking as well.

ec0ec0

the Final Fantasy XV support group is coming. It has to come.

edit: i hope that everyone is ok.

Styles

I am hoping for a lengthier trailer at Jump Festa that shows town footage and a better picture of how the battle system play's out.. Not here a rehash of footage from the upcoming demo.

Kssio_Aug

8 years of tears, man.
8 years.
I was 20 when this game was announced... :(

I was 16! T-T
But thank god Im having faith on it. And its funny because before this last trailer I was pissed with SE and thought I would not let the hype consume me again. I was wrong!

But seriously, I would not worry that much about the gameplay. I believe theyre looking for a good balance, and I dont think the battle system will be as automated or dumb as people fear. It actually can become pretty good! Lets have faith here! At least imo, SE knows how to do good gameplay.

duckroll

I am still relatively new here on NeoGAF but I've heard rumors and such.

Does the "mass hysteria from jumping to conclusions" thing happen often here?

I think we're one of the biggest gaming forums on the internet, so with this many members, and at the speed discussion flies by for popular topics, yeah it's a pretty common thing for people to over-react and jump to conclusions about everything. When we were smaller there was a lot more room to have detailed discussions about stuff where people actually read every post before replying further, but I think that's really hard these days unless it's a thread with less interest or less activity.

raven777

Well, Jump Festa is around 3 month away so hopefully we will see more details on the game soon.

But I do think we won't see the full picture of how battle work in the game until next year's E3 or TGS.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Nomura said he didn't want people to think it was too dark going off the original trailer, and that it's more about brotherhood and he even described it as a road trip movie back then as well. I wonder how much of the original story has changed. I still think it'll be dark though.
Yes, it just seems that the transition from "tragedy" to "road trip" could be a bit jarring.

Mortemis

Banned

I feel you man, this went from one of my most hyped games to just some other game I'll try out when it comes. You gotta chill though, try putting your hype somewhere else. Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 are looking to be some of the best games coming and they're actually coming soon, I'm hyped.

I've thrown Versus to the same depths of my brain that Mega Man Legends 3 is chilling at, its best to relax.

HHTurtle

Neo Member
I think we're one of the biggest gaming forums on the internet, so with this many members, and at the speed discussion flies by for popular topics, yeah it's a pretty common thing for people to over-react and jump to conclusions about everything. When we were smaller there was a lot more room to have detailed discussions about stuff where people actually read every post before replying further, but I think that's really hard these days unless it's a thread with less interest or less activity.

I think that was what I was expecting when I joined. Too bad, I guess.

benzy

Yeah, I highly doubt it'll be worse than XIII. Everything besides the auto attack/combat changes sounds great to me, and even if it really is just auto attack, I'm sure there are parts that will keep me playing, such as the incredible graphics. They also supposedly have plans to expand on XV with direct sequels so it's not the end of the world. For the time being, you can come cry with the rest if us.

rsz_mr_burns_evil_7487.gif

wmlk

Honestly, a game is as enjoyable as you want it to be sometimes. The collective negativity here seeps into individual members' negativity, and it starts over. It's a vicious cycle.

People should stop trying to be so negative.

Gbraga

8 years of tears, man.
8 years.
I was 20 when this game was announced... :(

It's really interesting to see how much people changed and aged since this was announced, and yet for some reason we're all still interested in it. I don't give a crap about a lot of the stuff that would get me excited back in 06, but I'm still super hyped for this game. Maybe not as much as before, but still VERY excited.

LowParry

I think we all just need to wait and see at this point. Maybe we'll get some more insight at Jump in December. Hopefully some clarifactions with the battle system or hell, maybe a little more demonstration.

Otherwise if the whole hold X to play is true, oiy. The defend thing I can understand. As long as there's a sort of stamina behind how long you can hold defend.

Squire

Banned
Pretty much.

I'm just waiting on the demo. There's just no point worrying over this stuff, especially when that is on the way.

People should've reconciled with the possibility this game might not be amazing or even good, with of without Nomura, years ago.

Verendus

Banned
I expect in 6-7 months, most people will be praising the battle system. It sounds like they're still experimenting with things too.

I would really like a strong Summon system. I don't remember really utilising them in either FFXII or FFXIII, as it was mostly pointless. Kind of disappointing coming off FFX, where you could control them and Bahamut would become such a beast. Probably a pipe dream since Summons will likely be some form of a special attack, but it would be pretty amazing if they allowed that again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's really interesting to see how much people changed and aged since this was announced, and yet for some reason we're all still interested in it. I don't give a crap about a lot of the stuff that would get me excited back in 06, but I'm still super hyped for this game. Maybe not as much as before, but still VERY excited.

I'll be more excited when they actually announce a release date. Leaving a vague "in development" message at the end of the trailer was not very reassuring.

Falk

that puzzling face
OMNIS LACRIMA

@falk, somnus nomura...

I still don't get how someone can screw up the names that badly hahahah

It's from road trip to tragedy. The TGS trailer is early footage.

I heard you could judge FF7's story by its opening hour.

I mean the game literally was about blowing up the 8 mako reactors while getting more powerful on the way and that's it game over.

Ishida

Banned
I expect in 6-7 months, most people will be praising the battle system. It sounds like they're still experimenting with things too.

I would really like a strong Summon system. I don't remember really utilising them in either FFXII or FFXIII, as it was mostly pointless. Kind of disappointing coming off FFX, where you could control them and Bahamut would become such a beast. Probably a pipe dream since Summons will likely be some form of a special attack, but it would be pretty amazing if they allowed that again.

Verendus, do you know how the Summons were used in previous builds? What do they do? How do they appear in the battlefield?

Gbraga

I hope so. And I hope they don't hold back on too much combat stuff. I don't know how the decision to make the FFXIII demo without paradigms didn't went badly.

I'll be more excited when they actually announce a release date. Leaving a vague "in development" message at the end of the trailer was not very reassuring.

Haha, yes, I was like :D the whole trailer, and then that came and I was like :C

Aeana

I think it's kind of weird to assume that the combat was amazing before. A company doesn't change something that was really good and turn it into something worse just because. That doesn't make any sense. I don't really think there was any evidence of the combat being great in what we'd seen so far, either. It looked like KH1, without the benefits of the stuff added to later KH games.

Verendus

Banned
Verendus, do you know how the Summons were used in previous builds? What do they do? How do they appear in the battlefield?
I don't know. I've said most of what I know, and what little is left doesn't really have much to do with the game itself.

zeromcd73

Summoning was garbage at first in XII, but they seemed to have fixed it and let you control your summons in the Zodiac edition... which never left Japan.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It's from road trip to tragedy. The TGS trailer is early footage.
Perhaps so. I have no doubt that I will thoroughly enjoy Final Fantasy XV once it comes out. The idea of a AAA fantasy-style tragedy was just too appealing to me--some of Shakespeare's tragedies are among my favorite pieces of literature, and I gleaned from some of Nomura's very early interviews that Shakespearean tragedy was the direction where he wanted to take the series. The shift toward a darker direction seemed more likely since Versus XIII was going to be a spin-off title, which would allow for more experimentation than a mainline title.

At this point, I am just incredibly glad to see that the game is real and it will be coming out relatively soon, but I hope that some portions of the game will retain the look and feel of the original Versus XIII CGI trailers.

TnK

thisisneogaf.gif at what happened in the start of this page.

Anyways, what are the chances that someone talk to them about putting a "manual" mode in the options for those that want it?

Verendus

Banned
Do you really know the release date from an inside source or were you just making an educated guess?
There is no "release date". Little early to for it to become that specific. Just a target period since SCEJA will also be involved in the push of this game.

Squire

Banned
I'm not convinced Summons will really be a thing in this. Leviathan looked like a set piece.

Like, cool beans, but that thing is huge in a way that makes me question how they do summons without just going back to single-use entry/exit scenes.

I think it's kind of weird to assume that the combat was amazing before. A company doesn't change something that was really good and turn it into something worse just because. That doesn't make any sense. I don't really think there was any evidence of the combat being great in what we'd seen so far, either. It looked like KH1, without the benefits of the stuff added to later KH games.

This.

The snippets of the battle system showed at E3 last year was cool,but how much of it was pre-rendered cinematic battle moments and how much of it was actual working mechanics already implemented within the game build?

Top Bottom