• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interview with Tabata details Final Fantasy XV's battle system and more

duckroll

I'm not convinced Summons will really be a thing in this. Leviathan looked like a set piece.

What do you mean by that though? I think that the message they've been sending so far is that battles with summons will indeed be a big thing in XV, and that they will each be very impressive set pieces. How is a set piece in an action packed game not a thing?

Falk

that puzzling face
Hey... aren't you the dude that hinted Tales of PS4. No choice but to get hyped now :)

I neither hinted at Tales of PS4, nor am I hinting at XII HD. I don't know of any plans for XII HD, and even if I did, it'd be NDA and I wouldn't nonchalantly drop hints like that.

I want XII HD as much as you do because oh my God the soundtrack redone totally live would be something else

edit: http://www.soundtrecboston.com/ Click on the 5th music sample. Holy shit the possibilities.

wmlk

What do you mean by that though? I think that the message they've been sending so far is that battles with summons will indeed be a big thing in XV, and that they will each be very impressive set pieces. How is a set piece in an action packed game not a thing?

Yeah, if anything, the open world setting allows summons to be an actual thing. Maybe Tabata's got that figured out.

There might be some dependency that makes this all broken, though, like Leviathan only being summonable in water bodies, etc.

Verendus

Banned
Any idea how big of a push compared to say, Bloodborne? SCEA's seemingly forgotten that the game exists...
Why do you think this when the game is still half a year away? The game was present at E3, which is an event coordinated by SCEA. Every first party game is getting a push at the moment, and Bloodborne will be no different when the time draws near. And that doesn't really have anything to do with SCEJA.

zeromcd73

I neither hinted at Tales of PS4, nor am I hinting at XII HD. I don't know of any plans for XII HD, and even if I did, it'd be NDA and I wouldn't nonchalantly drop hints like that.

I want XII HD as much as you do because oh my God the soundtrack redone totally live would be something else
You're absolutely right, my mistake. FFXII HD remastered soundtrack + Type 0 HD like enhancements would be so good.

I'm not convinced Summons will really be a thing in this. Leviathan looked like a set piece.

Like, cool beans, but that thing is huge in a way that makes me question how they do summons without just going back to single-use entry/exit scenes.

Imo, summons will probably work like Type-0.

Normal sized summons as part of gameplay.

Gigantic size summons will be nothing more than set pieces or a cut scene of them attacking, and then vanishing.

wmlk

Why do you think this when the game is still half a year away? The game was present at E3, which is an event coordinated by SCEA. Every first party game is getting a push at the moment, and Bloodborne will be no different when the time draws near. And that doesn't really have anything to do with SCEJA.

Nonono...I meant FFXV. SCEA's literally forgotten that this massive game exists. That's why I was asking for a comparison.

Squire

Banned

Sorry, I said "set piece", but I meant just a cinematic. It's an impressive one and I guess that whole demo is. I'm saying I'm not sure summons will be things we have direct control over like Type-0, for instance.

Falk

that puzzling face
You're absolutely right, my mistake. FFXII HD remastered soundtrack + Type 0 HD like enhancements would be so good.

I mean on the flipside if I ever stopped expressing my desire for a XII HD something could possibly be up. :V

Man I'm between a rock and a hard place.

wmlk

They mentioned it on Twitter but the European blogs all posted about it.

I think we bothered them enough to tweet it. I emailed them.

It's a big deal, though. FFXV's trailer on the PS channel barely has any views compared to the other videos.

duckroll

Sorry, I said "set piece", but I meant just a cinematic. It's an impressive one and I guess that whole demo is. I'm saying I'm not sure summons will be things we have direct control over like Type-0, for instance.

Are you talking about using summons after acquiring them? If so I don't think we'll learn about those details until much later. I will be very surprised if there isn't a summon system, but I don't expect to see anything from it anytime soon. I was referring to there being parts of the game where you will fight famous summons, and I think they'll definitely be action set pieces you can play through. Like massive boss fights with tons of actual combat and QTEs maybe.

Squire

Banned
Are you talking about using summons after acquiring them? If so I don't think we'll learn about those details until much later. I will be very surprised if there isn't a summon system, but I don't expect to see anything from it anytime soon. I was referring to there being parts of the game where you will fight famous summons, and I think they'll definitely be action set pieces you can play through. Like massive boss fights with tons of actual combat and QTEs maybe.

Oh! Yes, I'm referring to the actual use of summons on the players part. The fights against them I have no doubt will be glorious.

Verendus

Banned
Nonono...I meant FFXV. SCEA's literally forgotten that this massive game exists. That's why I was asking for a comparison.
Right, I see. I'd say it's kind of premature to say SCEA has forgotten FFXV exists. I'm not sure what you're expecting at this stage. The game is still very far away in that respect, and we're about to enter the biggest quarter of the year. It's Square Enix's decision as to when or where show off information for FFXV. Had SE wanted to include something for E3 for example, they likely would have been accomodated, but it was their decision not to and wait until a later time. Not to mention, they probably will show up next year at E3 depending on what happens in the next couple of months.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think we bothered them enough to tweet it. I emailed them.

It's a big deal, though. FFXV's trailer on the PS channel barely has any views compared to the other videos.

They'll probably have it at E3 next year along with more information geared toward the western market. I believe the SE community was supposed to post it anyway and he didn't.

wmlk

They'll probably have it at E3 next year along with more information geared toward the western market. I believe the SE community was supposed to post it anyway and he didn't.

Yeah, usually it's a marketing person who does it. I think Kitase did it for X/X-2 HD.

Still, good press for a PS-related brand is never a bad thing so it's a bit strange.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, usually it's a marketing person who does it. I think Kitase did it for X/X-2 HD.

Still, good press for a PS-related brand is never a bad thing so it's a bit strange.

If they follow the path XIII took, I expect some English trailer at E3 along with a general western release timing.

this is gonna be at sony's e3 no doubt about it. it debuted twice(!) at sony's e3 pressers, and sony is obviously interested in the title.

although sony is in a good/bad position right now where most pubs want their games to be on ps4's 10+ million camp.

wmlk

this is gonna be at sony's e3 no doubt about it. it debuted twice(!) at sony's e3 pressers, and sony is obviously interested in the title.

although sony is in a good/bad position right now where most pubs want their games to be on ps4's 10+ million camp.

Exactly. Over-saturation is a thing.

orochi91

How cool would it be if Lightning turns out to be one of the summons in the game?! I'd freak the hell out, it would bloody brilliant.

I've been wondering, what are the chances that FF will continue to become an ARPG after this game?

i'd say big.

for me, i honestly don't want a turn-based rpg unless it's in the chessboard style of srpgs like tactics ogre, ff tactics and disgaea.

just standing there and not moving while waiting for your turn, that's reserved for yesteryears. arpgs can have the possibility of requiring more strategy.

orochi91

Seriously, think about it. Tabata said that the ending of the Duscae demo will be
memorable and surprising. It would be genius if they can tie FF15 to its
Fabula Nova Crystallis roots and have Lightning present as a summon. I think
it would be a tasteful way to connect the games.

Dark_castle

I've been wondering, what are the chances that FF will continue to become an ARPG after this game?

Depends if Tabata actually made the game one million times more appealing than he made it seemed.

As for the summons, I'm definitely having zero expectations now. If critical gameplay feature like being able to switch to other playable characters is entirely removed, what IS summon?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seriously, think about it. Tabata said that the ending of the Duscae demo will be
it would be tasteful way to connect the games.

The games have nothing to do with each other. Please stop.

Village

Please leave.

Eh,summons are iconic to Final Fantasy.I cannot fathom SE allowing a mainline FF game to ship without some form of summons, however terrible it may be.

SE would force Tabata to include token summons into the game, even if it's cutscenes attacks or reskined AI members summoned to act as an extra party member.

Switching players was a mechanic of Versus 13. That game is dead.

url-17.gif

What I expect :

Demo ends as you reach the first big city of the game. The camera pans over a birds eye view of the city and how big it is, and the demo ends without letting you explore it.

Basically "HD Towns teaser"

Styles

The summoning models and sequences will look absolutely amazing with the prettier graphics. I hope they bring back the more organic looking summons rather than the hideous Transformers mess.

CorvoSol

You have to admit, Metal Gear Collection was amazing.

Kojima returns every night to his lair of eternal youth and recharges on the sorrow of thousands of fans.

The games have nothing to do with each other. Please stop.

Well if Type-0 is anything to go by there's a chance of both Lightning and
The Gods Etro, Pulse and Lindzei
being in!

And if FFXIV is any indication then

TnK

Depends on $$$$
That is true.

Depends if Tabata actually made the game one million times more appealing than he made it seemed.

As for the summons, I'm definitely having zero expectations now. If critical gameplay feature like being able to switch to other playable characters is entirely removed, what IS summon?
Still bummed out from the whole thing huh? I think it all depends on sales like the above poster mentioned.

Regarding summons, I never really cared for it. It would be great of they took the FFX route and the game makes you control the summon while fighting. Playing as a giant bahamut vs a boss would be all kinds of awesome.
i'd say big.

for me, i honestly don't want a turn-based rpg unless it's in the chessboard style of srpgs like tactics ogre, ff tactics and disgaea.

just standing there and not moving while waiting for your turn, that's reserved for yesteryears. arpgs can have the possibility of requiring more strategy.
I think it would be great if the series does take the ARPG route moving forward as well. I don't have a problem with turn based systems myself, I enjoyed them in the older games, but an ARPG system feels less tedious when playing a very long game.
Well to be fair, they did mention that lightning could appear in future FF titles. After all, she did appear in FFXIV ARR.

orochi91

Well if Type-0 is anything to go by there's a chance of both Lightning and
The Gods Etro, Pulse and Lindzei
being in!

And if FFXIV is any indication then

That's what I'm saying! If I recall, Fal'Cie and L'cie are part of the FF13 Saga and including
Type-0 and FF15. It would be obvious to include something, maybe Etro as a summon.

Still, Lightning fighting along side Noctis, with Ali Hillis's sultry voice would be phenomenal.

Tabata, do it yo.

Well to be fair, they did mention that lightning could appear in future FF titles. After all, she did appear in FFXIV ARR.

Precisely :3

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's what I'm saying! If I recall, Fal'Cie and L'cie are part of the FF13 Saga and including
Type-0 and FF15. It would be obvious to include something, maybe Etro as a summon.

Still, Lightning fighting along side Noctis, with Ali Hillis's sultry voice would be phenomenal.

Tabata, do it yo.

Precisely :3

You had 8 years of Lightning. Please stop :(.

Top Bottom