• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu interview with Tabata details Final Fantasy XV's battle system and more

Seriously, am I the only one who came out with this?

The last thread had some great Zoolander shops.

BTW regarding this thread, FFXV, FFXV news, and my general opinions on Squeenix:

tumblr_mh9s3wyxgZ1qgqpr6o1_500.gif

HHTurtle

Neo Member
So people should be emotionless? Some people really care about the game and such a NEWS is just devastating. It's not like you jump to conclusion, it's a stated FACT that he wants the game to be ultra casual, 1-button-pony-trip. Sure it can still be fun and work out well enough, but it doesn't change the fact that it'll play like FF12 and FF13, in which you're more passive than active for the majority of the game. People are just worried, rightfully so.

My point is why can't we save our judgement of the battle system until after we have all experienced the demo?

The important thing is to wait for the demo. We know it's going to come out. After that, we can discuss whether or not the battle system is good since we would clearly know what we are talking about.

You can only go so far. Automated everything doesn't make for a compelling, interactive experience. If you have to dumb down the whole game design to "holding one of two buttons", I doubt you can add a vast depth behind it, without scaring the oh-so important casual "i want to watch a movie while i play a game" crowd. FF 7 wasn't easy at all and it sold well, this whole "it's easy = mainstream will buy it" is a myth and nothing more. In fact, the main stream used to be, and still is, normal people that play games. The casual crowd is just that, another target audience. It's nothing but a farce to alter the whole game just for that small group of potential buyers. Too much streamlining and over-casualisation can actually hurt the sales, beause the majority of the time when game tries to enforce it, it severly drags the quality down. See Sim City, most mobile adaptitations and others.

In FF7 you only select commands and every action is automated, hell you choose a summon and you can only watch the thing going off. I guess it was also a dumbed down experience.

Zukuu

Banned
My point is why can't we save our judgement of the battle system until after we have all experienced the demo?

The important thing is to wait for the demo. We know it's going to come out. After that, we can discuss whether or not the battle system is good since we would clearly know what we are talking about.
"Wait and see" doesn't work so close to release date. At that point, it's too late to voice any concerns.

In FF7 you only select commands and every action is automated, hell you choose a summon and you can only watch the thing going off. I guess it was also a dumbed down experience.
Ehm, you chose what to do when MANUALLY. In FF 13 and it seems on FF 15 as well, you don't.

"Wait and see" doesn't work so close to release date. At that point, it's too late to voice any concerns.

Ehm, you chose what to do when MANUALLY. In FF 13 and it seems on FF 15 as well, you don't.

In FF 15 you choose when to attack, defend, do magic or do warp MANUALLY as well. There's a button for each of these commands. But they aren't on a menu.

Zukuu

Banned
In FF 15 you choose when to attack, defend, do magic or do warp MANUALLY as well. There's a button for each of these commands. But they aren't on a menu.
When to attack. You don't get to chose with what. Auto dodge also makes it seems ridiculous easy to cheese through the game if Type-0 is any indication. We haven't seen magic so far, so I can't comment on that. I do think it'll be rather streamlined as well, like in Type-0 where you only had 1 or 2 magics per character silmultanously. (and you could chose from 3 in 3 variations each). :X

You know, just to play devil's advocate, one button combat could theoretically be decent if tempered with challenging and varied content. Probably works better for something like Gauntlet though.

I'm honestly interested in playing this still, if only because I can't stop laughing at the thought of playing this pretending it's a rich kids going on an LSD fueled safari in Dad's car similator

Labadal

I was thinking how potions and other items would work if there is no menu. Auto set up and then used automatically when they are needed? It will be interesting to see.

When to attack. You don't get to chose with what. Auto dodge also makes it seems ridiculous easy to cheese through the game if Type-0 is any indication. We haven't seen magic so far, so I can't comment on that. I do think it'll be rather streamlined as well, like in Type-0 where you only had 1 or 2 magics per character silmultanously. (and you could chose from 3 in 3 variations each). :X
We never get to choose this in any of FF games...

Dark_castle

Anyway, I'm officially excited again after realizing that Tabata is taking the Gambit system one step further for customizing battle strategies, and more.

Damerman

You know, just to play devil's advocate, one button combat could theoretically be decent if tempered with challenging and varied content. Probably works better for something like Gauntlet though.

I'm honestly interested in playing this still, if only because I can't stop laughing at the thought of playing this pretending it's a rich kids going on an LSD fueled safari in Dad's car similator

nothing is more cringe worthy than a post that tries to be funny, but falls flat... jayz.gif

The new Famitsu article says the blonde girl in the trailer is in fact named Luna.

Crazy thought but what if the blonde girl we saw in the E3 2013 trailer was always Luna and we just assumed it was Stella because we didn't know otherwise?

I also just made the connection with Luna and the moon at the end of the trailer... now I feel dumb.

Ishida

Banned
The new Famitsu article says the blonde girl in the trailer is in fact named Luna.

Crazy thought but what if the blonde girl we saw in the E3 2013 trailer was always Luna and we just assumed it was Stella because we didn't know otherwise?

I also just made the connection with Luna and the moon at the end of the trailer... now I feel dumb.

Or you know, the most possible explanation? Stella was renamed Luna.

Like in any other turn based "attack" command?

You can still use magic in XV, is in the demo...

wmlk

Repost from a week ago:

I really do think Stella is actually Luna now.

Look at this image.

dMdb.jpg

See the moon-shaped necklace? It'd be too much of a coincidence to have Luna, a character named after the moon, to have that kind of necklace.

From a story standpoint, it makes absolute sense to me. Noctis looks at the moon and it turns into the logo. Now we know that the woman in the logo is tied to the moon.

Having the main heroine named Luna couldn't make more sense.

ANOTHER theory is Stella having a twin sister named Luna. Luna has the moon shaped necklace, but...

StellaXVPortrait.png

...Stella has star-shaped earrings. I know that this is a bit of a stretch. It could also mean that Stella was renamed and her motif was overhauled as well.

raven777

Repost from a week ago:

I really do think Stella is actually Luna now.

Look at this image.

dMdb.jpg

See the moon-shaped necklace? It'd be too much of a coincidence to have Luna, a character named after the moon, to have that kind of necklace.

From a story standpoint, it makes absolute sense to me. Noctis looks at the moon and it turns into the logo. Now we know that the woman in the logo is tied to the moon.

Having the main heroine named Luna couldn't make more sense.

ANOTHER theory is Stella having a twin sister named Luna. Luna has the moon shaped necklace, but...

StellaXVPortrait.png

...Stella has star-shaped earrings. I know that this is a bit of a stretch. It could also mean that Stella was renamed and her motif was overhauled as well.

I am going with twin sister theory for now.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The scan says she's a new character though.

Maybe it's one of those things were Stella gets split into two or she's a something something of Stella again lol...

My baseless theory is that Stella might have given Noctis a pseudonym/fake name.

Quite possible. In the old Treaty Signing Party trailer, Stella invites Noctis to come to Tenebrae and he says he'll think about it. So maybe Tenebrae has also been renamed to Altissa?

Tenebrae, from what little we know, used to refer to a country/region in FFXV lore. I'm thinking that Altissa is probably a location in Tenebrae, rather than a renaming.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
My baseless theory is that Stella might have given Noctis a pseudonym/fake name.

Tenebrae, from what little we know, used to refer to a country/region in FFXV lore. I'm thinking that Altissa is probably a location in Tenebrae, rather than a renaming.

I can see that happening as well. Maybe Noctis doesn't remember her or couldn't recognise her even though they met as kids.

Maybe Noctis is a playboy and he's trying to juggle two women at once, like an old sitcom gag.

Noctis looks at the moon and it turns into the logo. Now we know that the woman in the logo is tied to the moon.
Do you mean the game's logo? Pretty sure it was established a long time ago (early Versus era) that the logo is the goddess Etro sleeping.
Unless they want to retcon that.

wmlk

Maybe Noctis is a playboy and he's trying to juggle two women at once, like an old sitcom gag.

Do you mean the game's logo? Pretty sure it was established a long time ago (early Versus era) that the logo is the goddess Etro sleeping.
Unless they want to retcon that.

Yeah, we do know that. But it's not a stretch to think that Stella is tied to Etro, and most people assumed that as well.

zeromcd73

She was redesigned.

I can't believe people are turning this into a conspiracy.
I was just reading through the famitsu scans that were just uploaded and noted something that hadn't been posted yet.

The blonde haired girl in the trailer is called Luna, and she will be an important character in the game. Her name means moon, which is one of the keywords of the game.

No mention of Stella.

Of course you do. Whether you do a weapon attack, skill attack or use magic.
And there's no indication that we can't do those here, too. There's nothing suggesting that "holding X" in XV is anything other than the equivalent of choosing the "Attack" command in the other games.

Top Bottom