• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys must also realise that the Day 1 update for PS4 launch as well essentially installs EVERYTHING that should have been in the first place. It might be an iffy launch for PS4 as well .

But we have no actual evidence of that, just people creating possible scenarios because Sony didn't switch the service on yet. It's literally not worth discussing.

Into

If it takes them that long to fix it then that can do major damage to their brand, both consoles will likely sell out but what comes after that is word spreads around, especially these days on social media.

Though this is stuff is probably different from the CboaT and Bish stuff, which sounded more like raw hardware issues.

you guys must also realise that the Day 1 update for PS4 launch as well essentially installs EVERYTHING that should have been in the first place. It might be an iffy launch for PS4 as well .

Sony Too

Sony will also have always online
Sony will also have DRM
Sony will also be against used games
Sony will also have yield issues

bla bla bla. This has been done to death, its a sad attempt at trying to neutralize bad news for one console, its silly and transparent.

Two things

1) CBOAT hasnt posted. That indicates that even if this is true, it cant be talked about yet.

2) The mods are being extremely quiet. They are staying out of this thread for a reason.

I wouldnt expect further confirmation until launch, where this will be self evident if true. We will get further info then.

3 weeks.

Which brings the important question up:

What happens at launch?

There's shitloads of rumors:
720p everywhere, low yields, low pre-orders, unfinished games, buggy OS, huge day one patch (The size was only communicated in an ambiguous amount of minutes) and now a flaky online system.

Even if HALF of those turn out to be true, it's going to be crazy.

They can only shut down this news for so long. But maybe their silence is a far better strategy than what they've been trying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is bad. Really bad. The people who are buying XBO out of the gate are those that highly value XBL. Burn that crowd and they'll effectively have pissed off every single prospective demographic.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I think we are all just crossing our fingers that they have been iterating and testing this for months. Since 1.0 firmware was probably what was installed on the box months ago when these things started getting built.

Hopefully 1.5 is already baked and ready to go, and not something they are crunching on all the way up to 11/15.

Of course it is. It's a console launch so by nature it's going to be iffy and as these boxes get more technical there are more things that can and will go wrong. If the goal was buying a complete box with everything working and no bugs then peeps wouldn't be buying at launch now would they.

Folks here just live for the drama and animated gifs.

As nuch as I want to believe this I cannot.

Xbone can't be this bad so close to launch...

We will know the truth in less than a month. If Xbone is as broken as what this thread claimed the outcry will be immense and it would damage MS in the long run. If the console is not ready, it is smarter for them to delay the launch instead of shipping an unoptimized system.

Good, good. As I was writing I got on twitter and sent people at my wife's account. The trolls gave her a hard time and one called her a tranny.

She said, laughing "I just got called a tranny!"

I said, also laughing "How did he know?"

She said "I think I posted a dick pic"

And then we laughed. It was funny. I know that things are super serious in this industry and even that back and forth probably offends some people... but that's how we talk. The 12 people who listen to my podcast can back that up, as I do one with my wife every month (or 6 months, depending...).

My night thus far has been this:

Ate food

Poured a glass of wine and sat down to watch the world series (I'm a lifelong red sox fan).

Got a (message of some sort) in the first inning with incredible info.

Spent the next several innings (yes, innings are the length of time now) talking to this person. Another person. A third person... and then tracking two other people down.

Got mad when St Louis scored.

Got excited when Boston tied it up.

Got my first partial verification that this info was right.

Got info from two others almost simultaneously that it was right.

Gomes slaps a home run that makes me go apeshit.

I'm feeling bad that it's taking so long to write up what ends up being a gramatical nightmare anyway that I point people at my wife because she's the funniest person I know.

She is laughing hysterically as she tells me what people are writing to her.

Shemale thing (we both laugh).

I finally decide that it's done. Oh I forgot to mention, the entire time I was writing it here - in a gaf box - waiting for Bish to tell me it was ok to post. He never did. So I moved it to my blog. I know this red flags! HE WANTS CLICKS! Look up the site, it's wordpress, I don't make a dime. In fact I pay many dimes every year.

I post it.

Mik (mormonrage... or Mike on the Player One Podcast) finds every gramatical error in 2 seconds and tweets them at me.

Twitter/email/gchat/etc go nuts.

I respond to things as best I can, it's really, really fast.

It approaches midnight and today (monday) is my wife's birthday.

We go and do birthday things for a few hours.

I come back and talk to friends, try to respond to tweets... the red sox already won. Everything is awesome.

I keep responding to stuff. I find it fun. Someone is fucking mad as fuck... don't mind, like to give what info I have. Someone is thanking me... I thank them back. Someone is excited I ripped MS a new one... i remind them that Sony fucks up... a lot.

Then, at some point, I made a post here... and I think a tweet that made people think I was suicidal or something. I kept getting messages saying I needed to relax.

It made no sense... tonight has been an obscenely good night and I'm fucking off from work tomorrow!

It kept happening!

I wrote a long thing and a friend made me feel like it would seem desperate so I erased it.

He was wrong.

I wrote this and formatted it just like kevin dent's post the other night.

TL;DR I've been nothing but happy for a long time. Also, my wife is fucking awesome. Don't believe me? Listen to this.
Good for you :) We all need to be a little bit more happy around here.

But we have no actual evidence of that, just people creating possible scenarios because Sony didn't switch the service on yet. It's literally not worth discussing.

It already sounds like PS4 will have a huge day 1 update to me... with everyone updating at the same time and their track record of PSN not exactly being the best... could be a nightmare on day 1 even worse than WiiU's day 1 patch. I don't have the same concerns about xbox one's day 1 patch, but could be the same scenario.

Coolwhip

Banned
If it takes them that long to fix it then that can do major damage to their brand, both consoles will likely sell out but what comes after that is word spreads around, especially these days on social media.

Though this is stuff is probably different from the CboaT and Bish stuff, which sounded more like raw hardware issues.

Sony Too

Sony will also have always online
Sony will also have DRM
Sony will also be against used games
Sony will also have yield issues

bla bla bla. This has been done to death, its a sad attempt at trying to neutralize bad news for one console, its silly and transparent.

If Call of Doody works online they wont even notice. As much as I dislike MS and Xbox One, this rumous seems like grasping for straws.

Skeff

This is bad. Really bad. The people who are buying XBO out of the gate are those that highly value XBL. Burn that crowd and they'll effectively have pissed off every single prospective demographic.

The problem is, they've spent $500 on it and can't return it because it's opened, they're a little stuck (they could ebay or trade in) but...ya know? what do they do?

It already sounds like PS4 will have a huge day 1 update to me... with everyone updating at the same time and their track record of PSN not exactly being the best... could be a nightmare on day 1 even worse than WiiU's day 1 patch. I don't have the same concerns about xbox one's day 1 patch, but could be the same scenario.

Eh, it's only a 300MB patch. I don't think it'll be too bad.

Shrewder

Neo Member
I wonder why he isn't outright denying this? it would make sense to stop the false news that's quickly spreading among gamers. Sounds like it's actually true.
Perhaps it is a judgement call on his, and maybe others, behalf. He could feel it is best not to address questions directly in hopes that the situation will sort itself out once the system is out. Who knows what is exactly going on within the group and it's product and services leading up to launch? Could be a crunch period, or a lousy mess. It could be a gamble, not answering direct questions at this point, which may or may not pay off come the 22nd.

Faustek

I get that, I'm not defending either side. I'm just saying if there is a great 720p game on Xbone and a shotty game on PS4 in 1080p, an xbox fan should play that exclusive he wants. Just cuz it's 720p isn't gonna make it less fun.

I stress that the following analogy isn't mine but from one if my summer workers, which I'll make damn sure never gets hired here again.

So the college kids are sitting in the break room having coffee and snacks while talking video games.
This "COD brah" joins when they start talking about ps3's COD.

"Nah brah, why play on Xbox brah you don't want the ugly ps3 version.
Its like chicks brah, why fuck the ugly when you have a sexier here brah"

I know that just a small % of the COD lovers are wired(a small % of humanity) like this but this specimen was fascinating to me. I really want to call him up and ask him about current affairs in the gaming world. If he might grow thanks to this or if he still think of games as he thinks if women or if he realizes that it's about having a good time. Whether it be gaming or life.

Me I will be having a good time with Resogun and other indie games.

Because it's batshit insane in here? :p

Which is why you would expect them to be more active, even if this was patently false information.

No. This is something they have collectively decided to stay away from (outside of usual warnings) and is a clear contrast to how other recent leak threads have been treated, either with false or verified info.

Im not saying its confirmation this info is true or false. Im saying that they aren't willing to acknowledge it in the usual fashion. Yet.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

300 MB is by no means a "huge" update.

Of course it is. It's a console launch so by nature it's going to be iffy and as these boxes get more technical there are more things that can and will go wrong. If the goal was buying a complete box with everything working and no bugs then peeps wouldn't be buying at launch now would they.

Folks here just live for the drama and animated gifs.

You have to understand people have already put up with this shit from this generation. You keeping fucking up and you can watch the whole gaming division of whatever company go down the shitter my friend.

Wow, that Phil Spencer exchange is damning.

I don't know. Not seeing it. He said they can and have been playing MP on a nightly basis, and are able to upload stuff etc. What else is there to say after that? Answer every single question there? Launch is really close. Reviews are really close. We WILL find out.

I'd just like to clarify this thread is on a quarter of a million views, that's some pretty widespread news now.

Are you improperly using the word "news" here? I keep refreshing the page looking for substantiated reports and haven't found it yet. Did I miss something or did you mean to say rumor.

Into

If Call of Doody works online they wont even notice. As much as I dislike MS and Xbox One, this rumous seems like grasping for straws.

Agree most wont care, it really depends on the severity of the issues. People lost their shit with the Diablo 3 login issues on launch, if its on that scale of problems or Sim City online type problems, then its big

But if its a few messages not getting through, finicky friends list, it wont matter that much.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The problem is, they've spent $500 on it and can't return it because it's opened, they're a little stuck (they could ebay or trade in) but...ya know? what do they do?

I don't know but I do feel bad for them. I think a lot of people that have been trying to defend MS the past few months are going to get burnt on launch and it sucks. If you drop $500 on a product on good faith, you should be able to expect basic functionality.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't know. Not seeing it. He said they can and have been playing MP on a nightly basis, and are able to upload stuff etc. What else is there to say after that? Answer every single question there? Launch is really close. Reviews are really close. We WILL find out.

Where the hell are you getting the bolded statement from? Because it sure isn't that Twitter exchange.

OlympicTechno

Neo Member
It's times like this that I am glad I have to wait till the 29th for the PS4. I know the rumours aren't as bad as the Xbox side of things but at least if the launch is a fuck up, hopefully sony can get things fixed by European launch. That being said I hope it all goes smoothly for you guys over the pond, we shouldn't have to worry about these sort of things this close to D-Day.

RedAssedApe

Banned

well they already said there is a 300mb one with detailed release notes. not really news at this point. i mean people will complain if some type of psn outage happens. there isn't any point in discussing that until then (outside of what is missing in the day 1 patch) is there?

GlassCity

Banned
Hold on.

You're telling me you don't? Look, I don't know if you know this, but GAF rumours are like facts. When the train goes off the track, there ain't no getting back on. You don't just pick up a train and put it back on the track. That's not what happens.

That train is gone. It's game over. We hold a burial for that train.

I'm never buying a Xbox One. Hell, I ain't buying a PS4. It has no games.

Yep, your post was where I saw this rumour..

This is kind of concerning to me.

Negative news is one thing, the people who fuel the fire are another.
Do people not see that it's the same handful of people who constantly babysit these negative xbox threads... Food for thought, Just sayin...

The X1 OS will be fixed IF there are issues, maybe not a launch, but they will be fixed. That's guaranteed... The PS4 has next to no issues, so i'm not seeing why you would even cancel that, but whatever.

I think you let this place get to you a little to much... Enjoy these systems man, don't let a handful of people that count pixels tell you what's fun or not.

Thrakier

People proclaiming Xbox live as the holy grail of online services are in for a rude awakening if this is true.

This is not surprising. Considering MS track record as a company, they had way more fails than wins. 360 and XBox 1 kinda wer wins, but I guess that series broke now. For example, I am owning a surface tablet and while the OS has a lot of potential and neat ideas, it ultimately fails because of thousands of little bugs and things that are just now well thought out.

I don't know but I do feel bad for them. I think a lot of people that have been trying to defend MS the past few months are going to get burnt on launch and it sucks. If you drop $500 on a product on good faith, you should be able to expect basic functionality.

You're talking like these rumors are fact, are they? What am I missing here?

Skeff

Are you improperly using the word "news" here? I keep refreshing the page looking for substantiated reports and haven't found it yet. Did I miss something or did you mean to say rumor.

I'd say this was news, there is a good summary here:

Skeff can you think of anything noteworthy to add to my summary?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87786946#post87786946

Where there is smoke there is fire they say, but on this occasion, there is not just smoke but the sky has turned black. The most important bit IMO is the twitter response from Phil which is the lack of a denial.

EDIT: No I can't think of anything missing from that post.

Joni

You can play while downloading the patch. That is a big difference.

I'd say this was news, there is a good summary here:

Where there is smoke there is fire they say, but on this occasion, there is not just smoke but the sky has turned black. The most important bit IMO is the twitter response from Phil which is the lack of a denial.

EDIT: No I can't think of anything missing from that post.

Alright thanks. Going to give it a read.

I don't think CBOAT is posting again, not about that esram info and "myriad of technical issues" pm he sent bish. He said to to wait till launch.

p3tran

Banned
this thread is running fast, very difficult to keep up, but please someone verify me on these:

A) XBONE NETWORK IS ONLINE, YET STILL SEMI-FUNCTIONAL AND BUGGY

B) PS4 NETWORK IS ....STILL OFFLINE

are the above correct?
because if they are, I think I have better things to do than to worry about the present state of xbone live....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom