• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Faith

Reinstalled the game and applied the newest patch. Still getting 20-40fps with my 970. Just tried out Tomb Raider to be sure. Game is running perfectly maxed out.

Well, I'll just wait another 2-3 weeks and give it a try then.

Megasoum

Banned
Latest stuttering fix I'm hearing from the afflicted among us is to adjust the EditorGamerProfile.xml to:

GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" to GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1"

I'm not going to be home to try it for a bit, but the word of the day with this fix is (supposedly):

"Butter"

Still unplayable for me

Vitor711

Still unplayable for me

Can we all define what sort of stutter we're getting to see if it's the same issue?

For me, it's not micro-stutter but heavy judder. My FPS will drop by 15 or so for a second, feels like something streaming related. Then I'm back up to 50-60FPS on ultra. At times, it'll stay perfect smooth, mostly when stalking through the grass and moving slowly.

Megasoum

Banned
Can we all define what sort of stutter we're getting to see if it's the same issue?

For me, it's not micro-stutter but heavy judder. My FPS will drop by 15 or so for a second, feels like something streaming related. Then I'm back up to 50-60FPS on ultra. At times, it'll stay perfect smooth, mostly when stalking through the grass and moving slowly.

Yeah it's more like that for me too. I can get to 60 but I can't keep it with the recommended settings. It drops low all the time.

Reinstalled the game and applied the newest patch. Still getting 20-40fps with my 970. Just tried out Tomb Raider to be sure. Game is running perfectly maxed out.

Why do you have to reinstall the game and then apply the patch? If you reinstall the game, it is already patched. What version of the game do you have exactly?

Evo X

Doesn't work. Says it's been used in another account or something. Everyone who got it via the Nvidia promotion has this problem.

This is simply not true. I got this game through the Nvidia promotion and was able to play just fine at midnight release. I also purchased the season pass at the same time, not sure if that's relevant.

Randam

hättest dir man ne radeon geholt. :v:

am getting 60 when it is quit outside with ultra settings.
but it drops too.
will adjust things a little bit tomorrow.

MaLDo

60 locked without stutter in 3x680 (2GB). 2880x1620, Ultra settings, nvidia god rays, HBAO+, no AA, DisableMipMap0=1, FXAA + Anisox16 in drivers profile. RTSS@60fps.

Heigic

Game ran surprisingly well on a 560Ti. I had around 40fps on high @ 1080p. I haven't played around with the settings to try and get to 60 because I don't feel like playing with the hitching bs.

SliChillax

60 locked without stutter in 3x680 (2GB). 2880x1620, Ultra settings, nvidia god rays, HBAO+, no AA, DisableMipMap0=1, FXAA + Anisox16 in drivers profile. RTSS@60fps.

Glad to hear this, not because I have 3 680's but to hear 2GB is still relevant even at high res. I was paranoid about my 4GB 970 not being enough until the next two years.

Disable AA, motion blur, use HBAO+, and force FXAA in drivers game profile.

I think SMAA option in the game means Temporal SMAA (atm not compatible with SLI).

Hey Maldo, do you ever get any weird image retention with SLI? I seem to be getting it on FC4 and I got it on Watch Dogs too.

SaberEdge

Alright, this game is joining all other TXAA-compatible software in my criticism of the method. I hate the way it softens the whole image. It inhibits clarity and mars textures, I really don't like it at all and prefer traditional MSAA even if it does leave temporal shimmering. I hope MFAA is enabled for SLI soon, it would be nice to have a proper alternative. In this game, SMAA just blurs everything obscenely.

TXAA is a lot sharper than SMAA in my experience. Some people prefer temporal stability and image cleanliness over mere sharpness. I'm one of those people. A slightly softer image never bothers me nearly as much as artifacts like shader aliasing, flicker, jaggies, etc.

Disable AA, motion blur, use HBAO+, and force FXAA in drivers game profile.

I think SMAA option in the game means Temporal SMAA (atm not compatible with SLI).

Ahh nice to know, thanks. I play at 4K too, so using FXAA over SMAA doesn't bother me much either, especially when there's a slight fps boost.

Lol

I always look for you in these threads (not a bad thing) because our resolution and system is somewhat similar.

I dont have to get my hands dirty :p

Haha, clever :D Though i think your tri-titans(?) have a bit more power than my dual 980s :p

Jesus christ the mouse acceleration is horrendous. Basically unplayable for me. Even with the XML edits... using 970 newest drivers.

It's like I'm fighting to aim...

And the stuttering is ridiculous. Same EXACT shit that happened with FC3 on launch..

With FC3 I eventually fixed it though and it was BUTTER smooth. Can't remember what edits I did with the XML though..
I think it was a MAXFPS 60 setting or something like that..

*on knees gazing up at the ether...
Dear galactic warlord Xenu, please let someone post a solution for the crushed blacks while running SLI.

Skyzard

Banned
When's 1.04 due? Doesn't seem available for me on uPlay.

I really hope they fix the road popin. Come on now. You all get that too right? Only noticeable on the quad bike as cars have this effect which whites out the road...worryingly.

Damn though:
http://a.pomf.se/xusgfj.webm

tree relief off

Depth of field looks a bit naff on the player and gun imo, maybe too strong? There was a setting in the config file that read as being on low even on ultra, may try changing it.

Holy shit! Looks incredible =)

yep, but fur simulate is not applied on all animals..only those shown in the video.

Awesome! That tiger looked ridiculously good. I'm gonna go see if the patch is live for me now.

Edit: Damn, just booted it up and no patch. My game is still at 1.3.0. How did that guy get the patch and record that video?

Russian pirate version i suppose..ubisoft has release the patch and quickly retreat, i dont know why -.-

Lowmelody

Does this game have 16:10 support without black bars? I played FC3 with proper 16:10 res but I can't recall if I used Flawless Widescreen plugin or not for that game.

Sounds like they have identified the USB devices issue and are also aware of the mouse acceleration. Putting this down until those get resolved.

Coflash

Getting crushed blacks on GTX 980, is this a known issue? Is it getting patched? Getting it on the new drivers and older ones.

Are you using SLI? I found a fix for this on another forum. Use the latest drivers and add this to SLI compatibility bits through inspector:

0x082088F5

I had tried various other bits settings last night, fixes, settings etc, nothing worked. This does with SLI. GTX980s in SLI anyway. 80-90FPS @ 1440p. It was 50FPS on one 980 before.

ELCID777

Neo Member
yep, but fur simulate is not applied on all animals..only those shown in the video.

Russian pirate version i suppose..ubisoft has release the patch and quickly retreat, i dont know why -.-

They withdrew the patch due to an issue associated with USB devices causing black screens during gameplay or something like that.

I guess it's been reported even with the current patch, though I've never experienced it personally. I guess they're adding more fixes as well which is why they're delaying it.

From Ubisoft support:

"Daniel @ Ubisoft Support 2014-11-19 23:56 GMT
We are pleased to say that we have been able to remedy the issue (identified in our Known Issues list yesterday) which caused some PC versions of Far Cry 4 to go directly to a black screen due to the presence of external USB devices. Some players have been able to temporarily fix this problem by disabling USB devices and certain drivers, but we realize this was in no way ideal.

For that reason, this Friday, November 21st, we’ll be releasing Patch 1.4.0 for PC that should remedy the problem and allow you, as a PC player to enjoy the game as normal.

Though Patch 1.4.0 will contain additional fixes on release, we wanted to let users know that the black screen issue has been tackled. An update containing the full list of fixes will be posted to the News Section of the Far Cry 4 page prior to the patch being released on Friday.

If you would like additional help, please click on the link to update this ticket.

Thank you for your patience."

A bit disconcerting that there was no mention of the stuttering in that lengthy reply. How long are we expected to wait for this game to be playable?

You already have our money, Ubisoft... where's our working product?

Jeramii

Banned
Anyone wanna play PC Co-op right now? I'm just about to boot my game up again. I'm just finished with Act 1, so I'm not really far, but far enough for co-op.

Add me: Jeramii

CND

Neo Member
Latest stuttering fix I'm hearing from the afflicted among us is to adjust the EditorGamerProfile.xml to:

GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" to GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1"

I'm not going to be home to try it for a bit, but the word of the day with this fix is (supposedly):

"Butter"

Doubtful. The stuttering is exhibited on g-sync which doesn't even use v-sync, rendering this setting moot.

The stuttering is some sort of performance bottleneck probably associated with the dx11 renderer. It looks very similar to FC3 stuttering, which could only be fixed by switching to DX9.

Are you using SLI? I found a fix for this on another forum. Use the latest drivers and add this to SLI compatibility bits through inspector:

0x082088F5

I had tried various other bits settings last night, fixes, settings etc, nothing worked. This does with SLI. GTX980s in SLI anyway. 80-90FPS @ 1440p. It was 50FPS on one 980 before.
This fucking guy................................................. Knows what he's talking about. MY MAN!
0x082088F5, resolves the black crush. It also apparently locks fps to 60. At the setting i'm currently running with my 670's, I occasionally drop below... but the ceiling is 60. Nonetheless, high fidelity only my 670's & no black crush.

Thanks dude.

edit: actually, while 0x082088F5 eliminates black crush... it severely impacts image quality. back to running a single gpu...

garath

Finally got to load the game up after the uplay unlocking fun.

i5 2500k @ 4.2
8 gig DDR3
Evga 970 FTW
Win 7 64bit

Set it to Nvidia setting but turned txaa down to 2x. Using border less.

I get 50-60 pretty consistently. I think I need to turn a few things down to get that solid 60.

Going to hit Andy's breakdown of the settings and try to bump a couple costly things down and get that 60.

Looks amazing though. No bullshots this time.

BPoole

Mine finally unlocked later today. As I expected, it's a stuttering shit show. I'll play this if it is ever fixed, but this is fucking it. Fuck Ubisoft and all of their broken games. I don't have as much time to play games now so when I do get time I'd rather just play rather than dick around with their bullshit

Skyzard

Banned
Disabled mipmapping, locked framerate to 31fps with RTSS, for 2560x1440 on a 780ti + 4.4 4770K, frametimes:

gLerIyM.png

I think those peak clusters are from when I use the camera and zooming in, I get 99% GPU usage. The frametimes include shadowplay recording - the webm I recently posted was at the end. Driving around full speed with quad bike and having it crash and burn too.

http://a.pomf.se/kzmbzm.webm
It's like when the Source engine first came out again:
http://a.pomf.se/ftlhef.webm

Top Bottom