• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

I have very similar specs and I'm playing at 2560x1440 as well.
Locked to 31 with RTSS.

AA - SMAA
Tree relief - Off
Motion blur (since it's 30fps) - Off

Everything else ultra.

I also disabled mipmapping in the config file. DisableLoadingMip0 = set it to 1
Thanks for this. I tried using 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia CP but it didn't work so well.

This is clearly a better way to go if you want smooth 30/31fps...only thing is: doesn't setting DisableLoadingMip0 to 1 make it so textures convert automatically to Medium settings as posted a few pages ago?

JRW

So I'm using the DisableLoadingMip 1 fix for now which eliminated the harsh pauses / stutters when moving to new areas, but I'm still experiencing another kind of stutter usually when i'm in towns or in combat, it's like a jerky / judder motion even tho the framerate never drops below 30fps, is this micro stutter?

(I have the fps locked @ 30 via rivatuner).

The symptom is mostly eliminated if I disable Vsync but I'm not a fan of screen tearing.

garath

It's what happens with Ubisoft PC development. They spread themselves out too far and the development process is convoluted causing many issues across a broad range of system configurations.

In recent years it's not typical of PC gaming to ship a game with severe playability issues since most devs can release games with minimal issues across a wide variety of configurations. Ubisoft simply doesn't care enough to QA their games and expect most players to deal with the problems until months after release when they may or may not have the issues resolved. Typical trash development.

I am finding this as well to be an issue. I fixed the maxing out of Core 3 by setting Threaded Optimization to 'On' in the NVCP and forcing the game to run only on Cores 0,2,4,6. This helps spread the load more evenly and stops that particular issue.

The only real issue I have now is a very apparent loading stutter, just like Watch Dogs, and since Watch Dogs was never fixed, it's doubtful it will be fixed here either unless the community is able to step up and fix what Ubisoft refuses to fix.

I don't generally participate in the "trash port" discussions but man your hyperbole is really getting out of hand. Now you're blaming their QA and calling their development trash? Really man.

What do you expect? Hit auto-detect and the game runs at a rock solid fps with no issues? Sure that might happen some time but I can't remember a game I didn't have to or WANT to make some adjustments to get performance that fits me.

My system is similar to yours (i5 2500k @ 4.2, 970, 8 gigs RAM) and guess what? I spent about and hour with my settings, starting at the top then turning things down and making adjustments in the xml until I was happy with my performance. And I'm pleased with the way it runs. No hitching, smooth 60 FPS. Which is more than I can say for games like Battlefield 4 which ran like poop despite getting 120+fps. I had stuttering like crazy that I eventually discovered was due to RTSS conflicting with the Origin overlay (a problem that repeated itself for Dragon Age Inquisition).

Hardware is only the first line of potential issues, then you have drivers, other running software, and in some cases unrealistic expectations of performance.

I empathize with issues that don't seem to be easily solved though so I'll throw a few suggestions out there:

- Try borderless. I saw your post that it just stretches out, mine does that too, I don't know why but hitting ALT-ENTER will snap it in place on your monitor.
- Try disabling the uplay overlay. The game will complain that it requires the overlay for some features but I turned it off anyways
- try the maxBufferedFrames change some people have suggested in the thread
- Turn more settings down. I know it sucks but if your system is getting bogged down, make the sacrifice. When I troubleshoot a game issue I start with everything on LOW then slowly turn up settings until I find a breaking point.

This is an open world, hardware pushing title with some new NVIDIA tech. Tweaking is the name of the game.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for this. I tried using 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia CP but it didn't work so well.

This is clearly a better way to go if you want smooth 30/31fps...only thing is: doesn't setting DisableLoadingMip0 to 1 make it so textures convert automatically to Medium settings as posted a few pages ago?

I read it does but it's still looking damn good for me tbh. I like driving around fast on the quad bike and I don't want those mini pauses while I do. It looks incredible still at 2560.
I'm using the ultra setting for textures with mipmapping off.

1/2 rate isn't so hot for me either (input lag).

The only thing I really don't like is the way the road pops in on the quad bike, but I tried it with mipmapping both on and off and it's still there. I assume they don't know how to fix it since while you're in a car, the roads are whitened out with an effect.

JRW, tried setting V-sync through nvidia control panel, instead of in-game?

So I'm using the DisableLoadingMip 1 fix for now which eliminated the harsh pauses / stutters when moving to new areas, but I'm still experiencing another kind of stutter usually when i'm in towns or in combat, it's like a jerky / judder motion even tho the framerate never drops below 30fps, is this micro stutter?

(I have the fps locked @ 30 via rivatuner).

The symptom is mostly eliminated if I disable Vsync but I'm not a fan of screen tearing.

Try change the monitor refresh through the game's options. Later I'll see if the stuttering I saw was due to the higher than 30 fps or also the monitor refresh.

Anyway, sometimes after you change vsynch you notice HUGE stuttering. But it goes away on its own as the game finds the right rhythm. Usually in less than a minute for me.

So I ran some tests and in my case the micro-stuttering is a mix of vsynch and monitor refresh.

The best results I get are:
fps fixed at 30, monitor at 60hz, vsynch on.

And the worst offender for micro-stuttering is still setting a cap above 30.

The game is extremely inconstant in the way it paces fps. For example in Unity I see a fixed 30. In FC4 I see often tiny dips to 29.9 or 29.8, even in menus or moments where the hardware can easily push twice as many fps.

scitek

Fuckin' hell. Setting DisableLoadingMip0 to 1 eliminates all stutter for me, but it's fugly. I've locked it to 30fps as a result where the stutter is less noticeable, and am downsampling. I'd like it if they could fix it, though!

Dries

The only people who are going to post about it are the ones affected, so you're seeing selection bias as far as how 'widespread' these problems are. The vast majority of people are running the game just fine, otherwise the outcry would be a lot more widespread and a lot louder.

Actually, I do think that every PC user is plauged with stuttering, but simple casual players (that also don't usually visit internet forums) just don't notice it. These are the same people that don't really care what their FPS is, what graphics settings they can adjust, what resolution their using, etc... They just want to play the game right away without any fuss.

People is this thread obviously do notice the stuttering, but "enthusiasts" like us are only like 5% of the people that play the game.

So that's the reason the outcry isn't that widespread.

JRW

I watched a few PS4 FC4 youtube videos and I dont' see any of the stuttering PC version has, and even tho PS4 is running the game 30fps it looks 2x smoother than what I'm seeing with PC version @ 30fps.

Odd.

b0bbyJ03

so i've been busy with work the last few days and have not had a chance to try and fiddle with the settings to improve performance. all i did was start the game and check out the first area. I did notice that there was not possible way to tweak the game to get it to run smoothly from the options. i tried going from the lowest preset all the way to the Nvidia preset and regardless it would stutter like crazy.

Now I've only been gaming on PC since this year so im kind of curious as to how common this sort of thing is cause i see some arguments going back and forth in this thread between people that think this is bad optimization and people who think its normal to have to tweak settings (outside of the basic options) in order to get games to run the way they want them.

Also, are there people with single cards that have been able to run with game smoothly, with no stutters?

EVGA 970 SC ACX 1.0
3370k @ 4.3
8 GB RAM

I have very similar specs and I'm playing at 2560x1440 as well.
Locked to 31 with RTSS.

AA - SMAA
Tree relief - Off
Motion blur (since it's 30fps) - Off

Everything else ultra.

I also disabled mipmapping in the config file. DisableLoadingMip0 = set it to 1

What sort of FPS are you getting with those settings?

Also, what is RTSS?

Skyzard

Banned
^ I'm locking to 31fps and RTSS is a program people use with MSI to show system statistics while playing, it can also lock framerate:
I heard RTSS was the best way to get consistent frametimes.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

It's super easy:
MRWDFIj.png

In-game I set it to 60Hz and V-sync off.

V-sync forced on with nvidia control panel.

awXeQJI.png

Settings mentioned before, shadowplay recording at 720p 35mb too.

Started off hang gliding, then straight to driving in a car full speed on roads, then straight to quad biking off road full speed then camera zooming at the end for a few seconds.

Teletraan1

Banned
nah, having to tweak PC games to get them to perform at their best... is "typical".

Tweaking setting is fine. Having issues outside of tweaking like microstutter is not fine. I dont even know why having to adjust ini files to eliminate a problem that existed and was fixed in a previous version of a game is being compared to or listed as "tweaking".

Kezen

Banned
Game runs great maxed out without TXAA, replaced by SMAA.
60fps with a few drops to 50 here and here.

I of course don't demand a 60fps locked, I'm fine with fluctuating FPS as long as it's high smooth enough.

laxu

The main problem with recent Ubisoft titles seems to be that the powers-that-be are too hungry to get games to the Christmas market (or whatever the bean-counters consider to be the timeframe to please shareholders etc) and force the developers to ship before the game is ready. Painfully obvious with AC, unfortunately seems to be the case to a lesser degree with FC4 as well.

Based on how many patches are out for FC4 just days after official release the devs are most likely working their asses off on it. So all respect to the devs and a big thumbs down to management.

That said I'm a bit surprised because FC3 ran like a charm on both single and dual GPUs on my system. I'm getting FC4 in the mail tomorrow and hope that I get lucky and it works fine (or a critical patch comes out).

rBose

Banned
That's it, I am done with this piece of shit.

The only fix for stuttering is that disableloadingshit which in fact turns all the textures to Medium. and it still stutters now and then.
Like with anus creed I've tried almost every fix I found to make this work fine, no success.

Skyzard

Banned
Why do you cap the framerate at 31 fps instead of 30 fps?

I haven't tested at 30 yet but I'm starting to do it for most games instead of 30. With 30 it drops to 29 point something quite often and I notice the dip, but from 31 to 30 not so much.

Just tried it and it seemed fine at 30.

Might just be placebo from me noticing the fraps counter dropping to 20s instead of 30s even if it's a frame or two but I'm not sure. Though I remember noticing it (a drop, then looking at fraps) in past games - I used to set the framerate lock to 35 through NI.
Then I saw Durante mention he does 31 (for a different game) and took that as confirmation :p Besides I figured the extra ms response time couldn't hurt if I was maintaining the timing/framerate.

Some people are saying there is stuttering at anything above 30 with this, so I may just leave it at 30 for now.

Teletraan1

Banned
what would you call such adjustments?
help me improve my diction.

A bug. Those "tweaks" don't work for everyone and you are actively degrading IQ in some cases. Eliminating one problem for another is not a solution and it is a problem that existed on the previous game using the same engine is my point. My intention is not arguing grammar and semantics but are you saying they patched a tweak out of FC3?

^ I'm locking to 31fps and RTSS is a program people use with MSI to show system statistics while playing, it can also lock framerate:

In-game I set it to 60Hz and V-sync off.

V-sync forced on with nvidia control panel.

awXeQJI.png

Settings mentioned before, shadowplay recording at 720p 35mb too.

Started off hang gliding, then straight to driving in a car full speed on roads, then straight to quad biking off road full speed then camera zooming at the end for a few seconds.

This looks like D3D Overrider, does it also support triple buffering? and does this tool work on Windows 8?

Megasoum

Banned
Ok yeah so the Textures totally are the issue here...

I was playing around with the custom profiles and even medium was unplayable.

Then I did a test and put it back up to ultra but reduced the textures to medium and I get constant 50-60fps which is totally playable. Sucks for the textures but better than nothing.

However, weirdly enough, since I bumped everything to Ultra my blacks are crushed now. Anybody know which of the settings might be causing that?

Also, funnily enough, I noticed a similar issue with Dragon Age this morning (on a lesser degree). My FPS were so so and reducing the texture setting fixed it... I guess I have to consider more seriously the ammount of vram on the card the next time I change my video card lol.

orochi91

The only fix for stuttering is that disableloadingshit which in fact turns all the textures to Medium. and it still stutters now and then.
Like with anus creed I've tried almost every fix I found to make this work fine, no success.

I'd probably stop playing those games for a while and come back to them in a few months.

By then they will have been sufficiently patched, along with benefiting from updated drivers.

With PC games in general I just wait several months after release, just to avoid these sort of issues.

Setsuna

Are you using a 1GB video card or something

riflen

Ok yeah so the Textures totally are the issue here...

I was playing around with the custom profiles and even medium was unplayable.

Then I did a test and put it back up to ultra but reduced the textures to medium and I get constant 50-60fps which is totally playable. Sucks for the textures but better than nothing.

However, weirdly enough, since I bumped everything to Ultra my blacks are crushed now. Anybody know which of the settings might be causing that?

Also, funnily enough, I noticed a similar issue with Dragon Age this morning (on a lesser degree). My FPS were so so and reducing the texture setting fixed it... I guess I have to consider more seriously the ammount of vram on the card the next time I change my video card lol.

This is my conclusion too and my blacks are also crushed. All other settings can be Ultra, but textures must be medium for me to maintain 60fps without hitching.

I couldn't get D3D Overrider to detect FarCry4, From what Ive read in the past it wont work with 64bit applications.

This is correct. There's no support for 64-bit applications. Do you need it if the game features a "triple buffering" option?
On this point, it seems Ubisoft have at least listened to one the main complaints levelled at their Black Flag and Watch_Dogs ports; double-buffered vsync only.

So last night I plugged 0x082088F5 into the Nvidia inspector SLI compatibility bits after Interinactive suggested it. When I booted the game, the black crush/ghosting was gone. I played for a good 30 minutes during which time I noticed that image quality, particularly draw distance was wonky. Shadows only rendered out a few hundred feet, so when I was in the gyrocopter I could see the demising line clearly ahead of me.

Anyway, I removed 0x082088F5, and turned off Nvidia inspector... capped my frames to 60 in RivaTuner and upped the detail. With detail set at Ultra the game looked far better, and black crush was still gone...?

I just got home from work, and I've set everything at Nvidia. The ceiling was still 60, but my frames were between 38min and 60max. The game looks phenomenal. So now i've got my frames capped at 30 through RivaTuner, and i'm rolling. I don't know why the black crush is gone, but it vanished the second I tested 0x082088F5. And with the frames locked at 30, I do not notice the stuttering, or the hitching I was experiencing while driving.

i7-2600K 4.4Ghz
two MSI N670 Power Editions
256 SSD

triple buffering enabled
vsync enabled
Motion blur: On
Textures: Ultra
Shadows: Soft shadows
Post FX: Ultra
Geometry: Ultra
Vegetation: Ultra
Terrain: Ultra
Water: Ultra
Environment: Ultra
Ambient occlusion: HBAO+
Anti-aliasing: Off: 4x TXAA
Godrays: Enhanced
Fur: On
Tree relief: On

wish I could explain it better, all I know is that the black crush bounced when I tested 0x082088F5.

JRW

This is correct. There's no support for 64-bit applications. Do you need it if the game features a "triple buffering" option?

For whatever reason the in-game triple buffering doesnt work very well, but I fixed it by forcing it On in Nvidia control panel (FC4 profile).

Elsolar

For whatever reason the in-game triple buffering doesnt work very well, but I fixed it by forcing it On in Nvidia control panel (FC4 profile).

That only works for OpenGL games, it won't do anything for FC4. Best way to get triple buffering in FC4 is use borderless windowed mode.

JRW

That only works for OpenGL games, it won't do anything for FC4. Best way to get triple buffering in FC4 is use borderless windowed mode.

Crap you're right I thought I had disabled triple buffering in-game but it was still on, forcing in nvidia control panel does nothing (oops).

My specs are;

i5 2500 (non-k)
G1 970 (factory OC only)
8GB Ram
SSD

At 1440p I'm getting between 40 and 60fps depending on my location in game. This is with settings set at a mix between very high and ultra (mainly ultra) and SMAA (I don't like the ultra sharpened look that TXAA gives and it makes the trees shimmer). I also use the enhanced god rays and uber fur but switched off the tree shadow tessellation thing.

In the Nvidia control panel I have 16x anisotropic filtering and max GPU buffer frames at 3 which seemed to cut down on the stuttering. I have not changed the DisableLoadingMip0 setting as I found the texture difference annoying.

FLAguy954

Most people that play don't care about these kinds of issues or don't know any better to complain.

2600k@4.5
16GB RAM
GTX 970

Games I've played recently with absolutely no issues or extremely minimal:

Alien Isolation
Borderlands TPS
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Gauntlet
Saints Row IV
State of Decay
Batman Arkham Origins
Assassin's Creed Unity
Civilization Beyond Earth
Tomb Raider
Dragon Age Inquisition
Battlefield 4

Games I've had notable problems with mostly stuttering, CPU usage issues, etc.

Far Cry 3 (DX11 Mode)
Far Cry 4
Assassin's Creed IV
Watch Dogs

There seems to be a pattern here.

This man speaks the truth. Far Cry 3 and Watch_Dogs (2560*1600 @ 30 fps) have given me huge performance issues at the times of their release. Far Cry 3 is great now post patch, and Assassin's Creed 4 is still broken imo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyway, I removed 0x082088F5, and turned off Nvidia inspector... capped my frames to 60 in RivaTuner and upped the detail. With detail set at Ultra the game looked far better, and black crush was still gone...?

The black crush bug is related to the SLI bits Nvidia has chosen for the latest drivers. That's why it disappeared when you changed them and why it remained gone after you emptied the SLI bits field entirely. It's also why reports of the issue are relatively few -- the bug doesn't affect those with single-GPU setups.

JRW

Accidentally found out how to make triple buffering work in full screen mode and the game runs much better for me this way, normally if I enable triple buffer in full screen mode my fps stays locked @ 30fps.

I'm not using any external programs for this all I did was enable triple buffer + vsync in-game and then when I switch to borderless mode & then back to full screen triple buffering stays active and the framerate is more stable vs. borderless + triple buffer.

I'm curious if this helps anyone else.

knirk

Banned
i7 2600K at 4.5GHz
16GB RAM
GTX 680 4GB
Win 8.1
Installed on a HDD because SSD was full

Getting 45-50fps on High settings at 2560x1440 res so not that bad imho.

Megasoum

Banned
Scratch what I said earlier... Not only do I need to put the textures to medium (like everybody else) but I also can't really run it higher than "high" preset if I want to get somehwat stable 60fps...even there it's not that stable.

I'm seriously thinking about locking it to 30 and then I'll most probably be able to bring it up to Very High if not ultra... 60 fps would be better but oh well...

Quesa

What's the best way to cap it to 30 on an ATI 7950? RivaTuner doesn't support my card, right? Tried the disableload and the textures are crap.

Accidentally found out how to make triple buffering work in full screen mode and the game runs much better for me this way, normally if I enable triple buffer in full screen mode my fps stays locked @ 30fps.

I'm not using any external programs for this all I did was enable triple buffer + vsync in-game and then when I switch to borderless mode & then back to full screen triple buffering stays active and the framerate is more stable vs. borderless + triple buffer.

Same here.

I couldn't get triple buff + vsync working so I just switched to borderless. Out of curiosity I switched back to fullscreen to see if it affected fps and noticed that triple buffering was finally working.

Even better, I only get rare stutters when in fullscreen, whereas with borderless it was nearly constant. I don't think that's much of a help to anyone else with stutter issues though, since I imagine most people are running fullscreen anyways.

fade_

For this game just turning on triple buffering does the trick. With it off it stays locked at 30 or 60 depending on which its closest too. Although in other games i have to alt-tab out and back in to get it to kick in.

Top Bottom