• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Reviews Thread

Orayn

Was FC4 not being built by one of those gigantic seven million person teams?

Pretty much any Ubisoft game will have a good amount of work outsourced to their various internal studios, but I'm guessing the core team of FC4 was a lot smaller and more organized, probably a dedicated group within Ubisoft Montreal.

I would care more if this wasn't Ubisoft. But they have earned a nice year on my blacklist.

If I can get this from Gamefly that would be cool, or borrow it from a friend. Not sending money their way though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Pretty much any Ubisoft game will have a good amount of work outsourced to their various internal studios, but I'm guessing the core team of FC4 was a lot smaller and more organized, probably a dedicated group within Ubisoft Montreal.

Well regardless of the development system, the fact that Ubisoft is still capable of making good games is somewhere between a ray of light and a spit in the face.

The review from Eurogamer mentions "tearing up the space with a friend". Is there co-op in this game?
Yes, and at least on the PS4 (maybe all platforms), you can apparently invite a friend to play with you even if they don't have the game. Not sure how that works, but seems a pretty cool design decision.

Wooohooo!

Glad reviews are good.

Tuesday will be glorious with Far Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto V and Dragon Age Inquisition.

3 massive world games, damn.

sense

got this and gta 5 on ps4 preorder so 18th will be a great day. almost bought unity instead of far cry but glad i made the right choice!!

MaddenNFL64

Just think of Assassin's Creed as that thing which keeps Ubisoft's bloated ass afloat so they can make other things besides Assassin's Creed. More time for Far Cry & the like.

RPGamer92

Banned
Phew was worried about this game after Ass Creed, but it looks like the FC team can be an inspiration for other Ubisoft teams based on the reviews so far.

Zoracka

Glad to see this game getting good comments on its way .I really think Far Cry 3 took the series in the right direction, and what I've seen of Far Cry 4, it looks to do just the same.

After all the Unity debacle I've been on the fence about whether or not I should buy Far Cry 4. It's great to see the reception thus far have been positive, but I'm still cautiously optimistic and will wait for more consumer reviews before I decide if I should buy this.

antitrop

Sad to hear that Pagan Min is apparently underutilized. Troy Baker was really about all I'm interested in this game for.

vypek

I'm glad the game is reviewing well. I had doubts for a moment but I'm glad the Far Cry team is really putting in effort. Wonderful. Glad I still have this preordered

knerl

preload is up on PC ~31GB
pJb629H.jpg

If one could only start playing right away instead of having to wait until the 18th.

DOWN

Banned
The team that made FC3 great also making FC4 great is almost no surprise.
It doesn't sound like they did much except make a new map based on Far Cry 3 tech and mechanics. Much like annual AC games tbh. The reviews also say story is worse structurally than FC 3.

Bricky

Unless Ubisoft had pulled some shady shit the likes of Unity with this game I expected no less. Far Cry 3 was awesome and they would have to try really hard to make what is pretty much a direct sequel (for better or worse) a bad game.

Besides, Far Cry 3 was pretty much its own thing when compared to its predecessors (all of them were surprisingly different now that I think about it). With the way franchises are milked nowadays one 'safe' sequel like this isn't a bad thing. I hope Ubisoft lets the studio take some risks again with the inevitable Far Cry 5 though.

antitrop

That's interesting. I thought this time they would avoid making the same mistake they made with Vaas

From IGN review:

"The weaker half of the story relates to Pagan Min and his lieutenants. I barely remember what the missions were, or what completing them accomplished. Pagan Min is a great character, thanks to an excellent, gleefully sadistic and twisted performance from actor Troy Baker. But Min is completely misused. He has a thunderous introduction, followed by a disappointing, minimal presence throughout Far Cry 4’s 15-hour campaign. Worse, his poorly explained henchmen don’t have time to become interesting before vanishing from the story in sudden and confusing ways."

Sounds like the E3 trailer was about as good as it gets.

Hmm seems like a decent game (I enjoyed FC3) to get for free with my new video card. The other 2 options (ACU and The Crew) weren't very appealing alternatives anyway

anddo0

Wooohooo!

Glad reviews are good.

Tuesday will be glorious with Far Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto V and Dragon Age Inquisition.

3 massive world games, damn.

Where will you find the time to play all three?
Maybe save some money and only get two of the three?
Save the third for 2015.

That's interesting. I thought this time they would avoid making the same mistake they made with Vaas
The only mistake they made with Vaas was
killing him off too early
. He was an excellently acted villain with great dialog. IMO.

I hope Ubisoft lets the studio take some risks again with the inevitable Far Cry 5 though.
Yes, and I hope they shift it to current-gen/PC only... and the new engine performs better than Unity's

Seanspeed

Banned
One improvement that seems pretty huge to me is that areas you unlock later are actually different. One of the big problems with FC3(and to some extent, FC2), was that the new area you unlock halfway into the game is just more of the exact same. No new variety to give you a renewed sense to explore.

And having outposts being able to be reclaimed by the enemy also sounds good and will hopefully hit that right balance between FC2 and FC3.

DOWN

Banned
That's the mistake he was referring to. People complained Ava's wasn't involved as much or as long as he should have been as one of the game's big marketing and story appeals. Same mistake is made on Pagan Min apparently.

Needlecrash

This is a great sigh of relief. Between Smash, COD: AW, FC4 & GTA 5, it's going to be fun time in gaming
if my PS4 didn't have to be repaired right now. :(

MMaRsu

Banned

Yes, and I hope they shift it to current-gen/PC only... and the new engine performs better than Unity's

He also didn't appear enough in the story to be a real force to be reckoned with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is going about how I expected.

A lot of 9's, a fair amount of 8's, and a sentiment that the game is a better version of Far Cry 3 (which reviewed really well), but doesn't have any extreme landmark improvements that really elevate it to a completely different level.

It will probably average a bit lower review wise, but I think the text makes it pretty clear it's still the best received Far Cry yet.

Should be a 7.5 for offering no innovation, doing the same as in previous games, too many filler bullshit quests.

Story is good and the freedom to take on missions your way is great.

Thats what I think by looking at the footage.

wut. Given the text of your review, don't see how you can go below 7.7. Maybe you just don't know how to watch the footage?

One improvement that seems pretty huge to me is that areas you unlock later are actually different. One of the big problems with FC3(and to some extent, FC2), was that the new area you unlock halfway into the game is just more of the exact same. No new variety to give you a renewed sense to explore.

And having outposts being able to be reclaimed by the enemy also sounds good and will hopefully hit that right balance between FC2 and FC3.
I totally agree. If anything the second location in FC3 wasn't just more of the same, it was less appealing than the first. Seems to be a lot of environmental diversity in FC4. Some of the reviews indicate there is a substantial amount of trekking required to get to various locations (before you can fast travel to them). Seems this game may have exploration in spades... and considering the scale, I think it will be cool to get isolated and loose control of some of your previously captured outposts. FC3 became a ghost town as you progressed through the campaign.

Top Bottom