• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Reviews Thread

knerl

I actually bought a physical copy from Uplay and it appears to be arriving today...does anyone know if you get in trouble for starting the game early?

You will still have to unlock it through Uplay.
Apparently people pretty often use a VPN to unlock games early if the game in question isn't being released at the same date in the respective country.
Doubt you'll get into trouble for playing it early as long as you've purchased it through the store meant for the same region as the one you live in.

Orayn

Any comments about the micro-transactions? Isn't this game loaded with them?

Don't think so. The store screenshots showed three "currencies," but none of them were linked to real world money. You had cash, XP, and karma. The first two work how you'd expect, and karma is something you gain from helping NPCs that you can use to call in backup.

Different team at the same developer though yes?

Yes, Ubisoft Montreal is a huge studio.

Devil

More of FC3 without enough changes means no buy to me. Absolutely disliked every character in the game, the story, the open world full of work to. But to each his own.

thelastword

Banned
This is going about how I expected.

A lot of 9's, a fair amount of 8's, and a sentiment that the game is a better version of Far Cry 3 (which reviewed really well), but doesn't have any extreme landmark improvements that really elevate it to a completely different level.

It will probably average a bit lower review wise, but I think the text makes it pretty clear it's still the best received Far Cry yet.
Man, many games have received lower metacritics based solely on the bolded.

I'm glad it's being reviewed well though, It appears that the framerate is at least solid unlike far cry 3 on consoles so that's always a positive.

You will still have to unlock it through Uplay.
Apparently people pretty often use a VPN to unlock games early if the game in question isn't being released at the same date in the respective country.
Doubt you'll get into trouble for playing it early as long as you've purchased it through the store meant for the same region as the one you live in.

Awesome...thanks for the info.

D6AMIA6N

Looks like an improved FC3, just wish it were a bit more evolved. Taking over bases, radio towers, patting down dead bodies, all left over from FC3. I'll still probably get it in the future, but make it more next gen please.

d1rtn4p

Had they had said it was more Far Cry 2 I woulda bought this day one. Now that I know it's more FC3, It can wait on the back burner a bit until I finish the priorities ;)

garath

Nah, Ubisoft just has one sequel that has landed safely, and that's all it was aiming for. The ambitious new gen only title is the one that missed the haystack.

It's just continuing their normal mindset. Release game after game with the same formula, slightly touched up assets and a couple new guns/animals/cars/whatever. Get great sales and reviews.

NHale

Can't wait to read VanOrd's hand wringing over the story. I assume it's vanord that is doing the gamespot review?

He already tweeted about it last night:

Kevin VanOrd @fiddlecub · 9h 9 hours ago
Spoiler: I think people will have very, very, very, very, very, very strong feelings about this game.

Man

I bought FarCry 3 but I never had time to play it much. I loved number 2.

I would personally rather have FC3 on new consoles (due to its setting) than FC4 as it currently is.

Fliesen

This is going about how I expected.

A lot of 9's, a fair amount of 8's, and a sentiment that the game is a better version of Far Cry 3 (which reviewed really well), but doesn't have any extreme landmark improvements that really elevate it to a completely different level.

It will probably average a bit lower review wise, but I think the text makes it pretty clear it's still the best received Far Cry yet.

it's a bit like Arkham Origins.

Carbon copy of the predecessor, barely any innovation, no risks taken, but enjoyable for those who liked what the previous installation offered. Not going to rock your socks off, not going to disappoint you either.

(at least that's how i felt about Origins - it was a decent enough game, which i enjoyed)

Ubi really should have delayed Unity and given this and Rogue the big marketing push. They've ended up damaging the AC brand and overshadowing a couple of really good games.

thelastword

Banned
I bought FarCry 3 but I never had time to play it much. I loved number 2.

I would personally rather have FC3 on new consoles (due to its setting) rather than FC4.
Far Cry 3 would look amazing on these new consoles, so would far cry 2 with some enhancements I imagine.

Blobbers

Far Cry 4 is the only quadrillion dollar title I'm interested this holiday season.

I still fucking hate the villain, ever since I saw him off his henchman in the first trailer. Seems like a worse Vass, who I also disliked, once he asked me for the 4th time what insanity was. God why can't they write a decent villain, it's like all of them are supposed to appeal to a much younger demographic of people who'd maybe find their tirades and quirkiness cool.

Yeah, excited for Far Cry 4.

Tobor

Ubi really should have delayed Unity and given this and Rogue the big marketing push. They've ended up damaging the AC brand and overshadowing a couple of really good games.

Yep. Rogue would look and play great on current gen, just like Black Flag did, and they would have had a year to get Unity in shape. It's a shame.

At least they did the right thing with Far Cry.

Dynomutt

Im actually glad this got great reviews. Now Sony looks a little smart for choosing.to advertise this instead of AssAssins Creed.

Aces&Eights

Alright! This gives me something to play while I wait for the Unity patch. Ubi Montreal had always seemed to put out the good stuff. Looking forwards to riding them elephants.

valkyre

Ubisoft is certainly not redeemed, but credit were its due.

Far Cry 4 is solid.

More of this would help to eventually, some day redeem themselves.

Fixing ACU would also help greatly.

Shredderi

From IGN review:

"The weaker half of the story relates to Pagan Min and his lieutenants. I barely remember what the missions were, or what completing them accomplished. Pagan Min is a great character, thanks to an excellent, gleefully sadistic and twisted performance from actor Troy Baker. But Min is completely misused. He has a thunderous introduction, followed by a disappointing, minimal presence throughout Far Cry 4’s 15-hour campaign. Worse, his poorly explained henchmen don’t have time to become interesting before vanishing from the story in sudden and confusing ways."

Sounds like the E3 trailer was about as good as it gets.

This shit again? Underutilization of it's best character elements was by far the most biggest disappointment in Far Cry 3. I thought that they just didn't really know what they had until too far into the development and had to roll with what they got but surely wouldn't repeat that mistake in Far Cry 4. This was the one thing I was sure they would try to do right this time. Is it that they honestly just don't realize the most interesting elements of their games before it's too late? At least the reviews sound positive so that's good. It looks really solid gameplay wise which of course is the most important thing.

Alienous

Nothing is convincing me it varies significantly from Far Cry 3.

Thankfully that makes it easy to not give Ubisoft my money, but I'm glad they managed to make a solid game.

So people are saying this game is offensive to some? Interesting...honestly that makes me even more excited, not for peoples feelings being hurt, but a new conversation that's not about framerate, parity, or resolution.

RPGam3r

Fun game but a lot like FC3. Got it!

Should be a 7.5 for offering no innovation, doing the same as in previous games, too many filler bullshit quests.

Story is good and the freedom to take on missions your way is great.

Thats what I think by looking at the footage.

Did you seriously just give a review score to a game based on other reviews?

RPGam3r

Nothing is convincing me it varies significantly from Far Cry 3.

Thankfully that makes it easy to not give Ubisoft my money, but I'm glad they managed to make a solid game.

You can say this for almost every series. I mean in theory you should be able to say this for any series, hence why you would make the game part of the series.

pr0cs

I really enjoyed FC3, really it has been one of my favorite games I played this year. Unfortunately there are just too many good games coming out so I will have to wait on FC4.
I will still never understand why they release all these good games at the same time.

Top Bottom