• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Reviews Thread

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Assassin's Creed : Rogue
Far Cry 4

All made by the same studio in Montreal, Canada.

Rogue wasn't made in Montreal.

And that studio has over 2000, so yea same building but different teams. I'm sure they share some synergy but it's like all studios and r&d structures... Isolation, different floors and key cards and what not. Helps foster internal competition.

OraleeWey

Thanks guys. Damn. The addition of co-op definitely increases my need to pick up this game.

Even if it was everything but story missions, I imagine two guys on elephants taking down an outpost would be a pretty good time.

I don't think Far Cry 4 has story coop.

codhand

I don't care how well it reviews. There is no chance in hell that I'll buy it. Ubisoft poisoned the well to the very core.

Salt-Pile.jpg

Alchemist

Sony did good to drop their Assassin's Creed marketing rights for this.

If only it didn't come out on the same day as GTA V..

Klocker

All in on this one... am glad it appears they took some of the salty elements from fc3 out and gave us more to do with ourfreedom. that is what I loved most about fc2. not expecting fc2 here but so far looks better than 3.

Ubisoft ruined favorite third party franchise by trying to get two games out at the same time and being really scummy about it when one of them obviously wasn't ready to be released. So yeah, I'm not happy with Ubisoft and don't want to patronize them anymore.

You must not have a bank account considering how well they all shit the bed in 2008.
I don't know what you are referring to here.

Looked good in the ign let's play video where they took down a chopper with molotovs. I'll be picking this up along with gta5 next week

Ubisoft ruined favorite third party franchise by trying to get two games out at the same time and being really scummy about it when one of them obviously wasn't ready to be released. So yeah, I'm not happy with Ubisoft and don't want to patronize them anymore.

I don't know what you are referring to here.

Punish the bad games and support the good ones. Unity isn't that bad and Rogue is pretty good.

mf luder

I don't think Far Cry 4 has story coop.

This is from metro gamecentral review " As well as animal helpers you can also call in computer-controlled resistance fighters to aid you, if you collect special tokens. Or alternatively you can call in an actual human via the new co-op option. Unlike Assassin’s Creed Unity this is completely integrated into the main game and whatever the other person does is reflected back in their own save as well.They can’t help out in story missions, but beyond that almost the entire game can be played with two people, by simply pressing the D-pad and asking for help.

The end result is the best co-op experience so far in an open word game. And although nowadays it’s always a lottery as to whether it’ll work at launch or not, once it does it’s sure to ensure the feature becomes a standard in any similar game.

zychi

Banned
http://www.co-optimus.com/game/3456/playstation-4/far-cry-4.html

"The Co-Op Experience

Up to 4 players can experience the campaign together."

Thanks, but again, this confuses me:

This is from metro gamecentral review " As well as animal helpers you can also call in computer-controlled resistance fighters to aid you, if you collect special tokens. Or alternatively you can call in an actual human via the new co-op option. Unlike Assassin’s Creed Unity this is completely integrated into the main game and whatever the other person does is reflected back in their own save as well.They can’t help out in story missions, but beyond that almost the entire game can be played with two people, by simply pressing the D-pad and asking for help.

The end result is the best co-op experience so far in an open word game. And although nowadays it’s always a lottery as to whether it’ll work at launch or not, once it does it’s sure to ensure the feature becomes a standard in any similar game.
WHAT?

codhand

I've read NO. You can explore the entire map and attack outposts, but you can't do main campaign missions in Co-op... though I could be wrong...

cooptimus says youre wrong. anyone know definitively? maybe you just cant use the D-Pad call-in-for-help during missions, but if you are already in a group playing, the main missions are available to all?

dtcm83

Uh. Not on mine it didn't. And I have a pretty beefy setup.

I had major stuttering issues with the game at release on my GTX 670...seem to recall the issue mostly being cleared up after a few patches/weeks though. Really hoping my 970 will handle FC4 without issue.

GiantBomb's Quicklook looked promising and now these excellent review scores.

I was hoping to save my DriveClub refund for an early 2015 game, but that looks unlikely now.

codhand

from the cooptimus comments section

" sickboy • 2 hours ago

It's not Co-Op Campaign, another player can join but this is limited to "open world sections and they can only stay for a time.

Which I find massively disappointing."

sucksss if true.

joecanada

IIRC, the restrictions you are talking about were specific to that PS4 "remote play multiplayer" thing where someone who doesn't own the game gets to mess around the game world with you but not story stuff.

I would think 2 paid copies of the game would have full access for co-op. But maybe I'm wrong.

I also want to know this, why is this still a mystery this late?

Kers

So as for the co-op play. I am guessing that you can wander around the world together and unlock towers, hunt creatures, take outposts, etc. and that progress will carry over to both of your games - but you can't co-op storyline missions. Does anyone know if that is correct?

It is surprisingly difficult to find a clear answer to this.

Here the answer: No storyline missions in co-op.

WITHE1982

Well that's just bloody great. Thanks a bunch Ubisoft for completely ruining my plans for November.

After buying 4 games in October my budget for this month was down to just one full price game. That was gonna be GTA5 but now this has tossed a real spanner in the works.

I absolutely love FC3 as well.

IGN preliminary review summary
Diversity is one of Far Cry 4’s strongest assets, and it overwhelms the mostly disappointing story with countless opportunities for free-form adventure and fun. Visual variety, tons of distinct side-quests, and a dense world with plenty of options always gave me something I wanted to do, and its satisfying economy had me obsessing over completing every side-quest. It’s a little safe, in that it has many familiar elements from Far Cry 3 transplanted to an amazing new place, but those elements are incredibly empowering and rewarding.

I can't really get excited about this. I know it's basically going to be a reskinned FC3 with a few new features.

FC3 was just too dull and spread out for me. Maybe I've just outgrown the thrill of a pure FPS, but the thought of just running around and basically doing FPS stuff really doesn't appeal to me much anymore.

Luckily there's a lot else to play. I will probably get it eventually at a cheaper price.

This will be my first far cry game

So outposts are captured again by enemies which sucks, but fortresses are not? If you capture a fortress will the outposts around it be captured again ?

herod

Man, many games have received lower metacritics based solely on the bolded.

quite right too, quite why people are happy to pay full price for what in most cases is just a lot of technical tweaks and a new map is beyond me. Full price should mean a significant amount of extra effort.

Busigkatt

Banned
Are there any comparison videos between the PS4 and Xbox One version out yet? After Unity I want to see that the games has a solid framerate and looks great.

SmokyDave

Man, I wish this wasn't dropping so close to GTA 5. There's no way I can resist it after I fucking loved FC3.

I can't really get excited about this. I know it's basically going to be a reskinned FC3 with a few new features.
That's exactly why I can get excited about this.

Top Bottom