• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Reviews Thread

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Any word on HUD options? I had to mod it to my liking in Far Cry 3 but I'd be getting it on PS4 this time and I don't want to be stuck with an intrusive, over-informative HUD.

So as for the co-op play. I am guessing that you can wander around the world together and unlock towers, hunt creatures, take outposts, etc. and that progress will carry over to both of your games - but you can't co-op storyline missions. Does anyone know if that is correct?

It is surprisingly difficult to find a clear answer to this.

I think you can do the storyline missions as well.

Any word on HUD options? I had to mod it to my liking in Far Cry 3 but I'd be getting it on PS4 this time and I don't want to be stuck with an intrusive, over-informative HUD.

Giant Bomb has a quick look up - it looks pretty minimal. Just the minimap with your health bar.

OneUh8

I figured this would review well. It has been looking good for a while. Will be picking this up Tuesday! Loved FC3 too.

Far Cry 4 is a needy game, reminding you constantly that there's something to do everywhere you go with pop-up messages that invite you to go do something other than what you are currently trying to do. Did you just liberate that camp? Well, you'll be told it's under attack 10 seconds after you leave it, and the game will move your waypoint to it on your behalf. And if you re-liberate the camp, it'll be under attack again 10 seconds after you leave.
..oh NO. This sound terrible, it's like gang missions in GTA: Vice City Stories all over again.

I feel that using the same engine and building upon Far Cry 3's open world mechanic is the wisest thing Ubisoft has done in the past year.

Good on that dev team. They deserve it.

BigDug13

So as for the co-op play. I am guessing that you can wander around the world together and unlock towers, hunt creatures, take outposts, etc. and that progress will carry over to both of your games - but you can't co-op storyline missions. Does anyone know if that is correct?

It is surprisingly difficult to find a clear answer to this.

IIRC, the restrictions you are talking about were specific to that PS4 "remote play multiplayer" thing where someone who doesn't own the game gets to mess around the game world with you but not story stuff.

I would think 2 paid copies of the game would have full access for co-op. But maybe I'm wrong.

Looking forward to giving this game some time over the xmas holiday.
GTA V ,Dragon age ,Bloodborne and this should see me through until R6 seige.

Sources 1 & 2

You can think what you want about TB, and keep it to yourself so we don't derail this thread, but Ubi apparently holding PC copies back from being reviewed should be red flag for PC players.

I'm waiting on info about the PC port before I even consider getting this game. The graphics to me do not look any better than Far Cry 3, but the system requirements are way higher. So I'm expecting a terrible port job...

Azlan

I think you can do the storyline missions as well.

IIRC, the restrictions you are talking about were specific to that PS4 "remote play multiplayer" thing where someone who doesn't own the game gets to mess around the game world with you but not story stuff.

I would think 2 paid copies of the game would have full access for co-op. But maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks guys. Damn. The addition of co-op definitely increases my need to pick up this game.

Even if it was everything but story missions, I imagine two guys on elephants taking down an outpost would be a pretty good time.

valkyre

I remember a dev noting that you can turn off all HUD and also there will be options to choose what you want to remove or stay on screen.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Glad to see good scores after the Unity fiasco. At least not ALL of Ubisoft has turned to shite.

Watch Dogs
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Assassin's Creed : Rogue
Far Cry 4

All made by the same studio in Montreal, Canada.

Sources 1 & 2

You can think what you want about TB, and keep it to yourself so we don't derail this thread, but Ubi apparently holding PC copies back from being reviewed should be red flag for PC players.

Edit: Port is done by same Ubi studio as ACU if that matters, most likely not.

I would prefer just random order as they come in as putting highest ones first makes it read like promotional game cover, but that is just me.

Oh please no.... please don't be a terrible PC port.

Like an idiot i preordered with the GMG deal for $48....

PC Gamer explains why they're review is delayed.

Looks like Ubi isn't sending out PC copies until the day of release. Shady? Yes.

THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Sony would not care about the PC release...
Sony wouldn't mind having their system being mentioned in the reviews, though.

Not that I believe that's what it is. Could just be that they don't want to send out a bunch of different versions to people and felt sending out PS4 versions was good enough. Were any of these reviews done on the XB1? I don't seem to remember seeing any.

Wow... talk about huge red flag right there.

I'm not worried. The engine has a proven track record on PC, unlike Unity's... considering the game seems to perform well on the plebeian specs of the Xbox One and PS4, what makes you think PC's aren't going to run the game well?

Unity on the other hand does not perform well on the current-gen consoles... At least in that sense FC4 has the leg up.

Also:
"The reason why we did not provide review code until now is that there is a title update which won’t be available before Monday prior to launch. However, we will officially communicate on the title update prior the release of the game so consumers are aware."
Could be bullshit, could be truth. Considering it's an Nvidia sponsored game, revised drivers / SLI profiles may launch this weekend/monday. Who knows.
Glass half full.

KooopaKid

Banned
"And there can be no doubt. Far Cry 4 is a superb skinner box, staving off monotony with constant upgrades, and it's so expertly crafted to appeal to baser instincts, so rewarding of you embracing them, that there's a strong chance you'll miss the broader point that all of what you're doing is utterly despotic"

Ugh. Generic game design 101.

lordxar

Mmmm not good. Was writing this one off but with good reviews...loved FC3 but platted it in a week so I may hold off on this. Too many good games coming out Tuesday to handle it all. So conflicted lol

Edited for half typed thought

Top Bottom