• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Did anyone actually finish S2 of True Detective?

'Cause I sure as hell didn't.

Yes.

55c816a5169027501c6f13d4_td-salute.gif

Was it? Malvo orchestrated the whole thing, but the question was always: How? As far as I'm aware, there was never a reasonable explanation as to how he could've pulled it off the way it happened.

The fish were picked up by the wind from the blizzard or something like that. Malvo had nothing to do with it, it was just a coincidence.

squidyj

You know, I'm gonna be legitimately interested in having an extensive conversation about Fargo Season 2 vs True Detective Season 2.

I7N2gZB.jpg

can I just say I knew this would happen? True Detective season 1 was nice but it didn't have half the creative spark that Fargo Season 1 had. It had a very weak core concept that was held afloat by some redeeming factors honestly. I went into both expected True Detective to disappoint and Fargo to be on fucking point.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think the first episode of Season 1 hooked me in a bit more. Looking forward to seeing where things head though.

Agreed. The first episode of season one had a much stronger hook but season two's premiere was still solid. Also, I really dug Culkin's performance and am bummed to see him go already.

can I just say I knew this would happen? True Detective season 1 was nice but it didn't have half the creative spark that Fargo Season 1 had. It had a very weak core concept that was held afloat by some redeeming factors honestly. I went into both expected True Detective to disappoint and Fargo to be on fucking point.

I dunno, True Detective Season 1 was one of the best things HBO had done.

Which made the crap-tastic Season 2 all the more disappointing. I thought TD was better than Fargo Season 1 (though Fargo was really good).

But Season 2 of Fargo has got me hooked way more than either TD2 or Fargo Season 1. Really strong premiere.

Agreed. The first episode of season one had a much stronger hook but season two's premiere was still solid. Also, I really dug Culkin's performance and am bummed to see him go already.

I think it'd be hilarious if Rye was still alive in the freezer, and when they try to like get rid of the body or whatever, he reanimates and tries to run away.

And then they have to chase after him. It'd be hilarious and slapstick.

I dunno, True Detective Season 1 was one of the best things HBO had done.

Give me a break. You're talking about the channel that made The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, In Treatment and Treme, along with a handful of other shows that weren't great for their entire runs but still had some amazing seasons (Six Feet Under, Oz, Big Love). They still have some gems in their current comedy lineup: Silicon Valley, Veep, Getting On (perhaps the most underrated show on television) and of course Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

The consider some of their excellent miniseries: Band of Brothers, Show Me A Hero, Generation Kill, Olive Kitteridge, John Adams, Angels in America.

True Detective season 1 isn't even in the running for best things HBO has ever done.

-MD-

Give me a break. You're talking about the channel that made The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, In Treatment and Treme, along with a handful of other shows that weren't great for their entire runs but still had some amazing seasons (Six Feet Under, Oz, Big Love). They still have some gems in their current comedy lineup: Silicon Valley, Veep, Getting On (perhaps the most underrated show on television) and of course Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

The consider some of their excellent miniseries: Band of Brothers, Show Me A Hero, Generation Kill, Olive Kitteridge, John Adams, Angels in America.

True Detective season 1 isn't even in the running for best things HBO has ever done.

Sure it is.

I didn't know somebody was the HBO Opinion Police!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm fairly certain the UFO was a hallucination from the bump of coke he took before he walked into the diner, but I guess we'll see. Or maybe it will go unexplained like the fish monsoon.

The UFO was a "Man who wasn't there" reference.

There were *tons* of Coen references in the episode, like non stop.

ZombAid82

What an awesome start!

And Ron fucking Swanson plays the brother from another mother of Walter Sobchak?!?
Hillarious.

Cannot wait, suspense is killing me arghhh

Lol wat? Yes it is

jond76

Banned
I love how they completely inverted Ron Swanson, beard and no moustache, Took me a moment to recognize him.

Great first ep. Looking forward to this season.

Grinchy

Banned
I was excited about Nick Offerman being on the show, but I have to admit that he was a bit distracting to me. Like, I'm not the biggest Kristen Dunst fan in the world, but she was never distracting to me. In fact, she did an awesome job. Nick Offerman just felt out of place to me or something.

Hey I agree with you at least! I thought True Detective was alright but it doesn't compare to the Wire, Deadwood, or Sopranos. No way!

When The Wire ended I was left a new outlook on the world and felt like it really opened my mind to how a city works and how we all fit into it. When Deadwood ended I thought it was absolutely tragic that we wouldn't get to finish the series. It was brutal, had western tropes, but it wasn't a romantic view of the frontier and still stands alone in that regard. Sopranos basically birthed the new TV revolution. Never seen a show written that well before it.

Even though I liked TD I never think about it after the fact. Some of the best acting/directing on a show for sure but it was short and not enough to put it above the HBO greats.

I actually have higher expectations of Fargo S2 than S1. I like this '79 period much better as it distances itself from the Fargo movie more. The cast still has to prove itself but so far I'm impressed. Also disappointed Culkin is dead already.

I was excited about Nick Offerman being on the show, but I have to admit that he was a bit distracting to me. Like, I'm not the biggest Kristen Dunst fan in the world, but she was never distracting to me. In fact, she did an awesome job. Nick Offerman just felt out of place to me or something.

I though Offerman was great, reminded me of a younger version of some of the goons my midwestern grandpa would play cards with when I was a kid.

The first season of True Detective is greatly overrated. I very much preferred Fargo's first season.

I thought this was a great opener. I don't want this season to follow the same arc as the first season just with stand in characters, so I'm not looking for who the "Nygaard" character is. What I did like was that there were many elements that seem familiar yet are different enough to make it interesting. It sets out all the different players and connects them in a way that creates anticipation to see how things turn out (unlike True Detective where the connections simply were not made, even by the end of the season).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Loved the first episode. Loved season 1 but I think this is a more solid first episode. I love how Dunst's character just wanted to go on with her life like nothing happened. I think Landry + Dunst will be my favorite part of the show.

Toothless

Just tried this out (without watching Season 1). It was interesting; wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it'd be. I'll stick with it though; still pretty good.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just tried this out (without watching Season 1). It was interesting; wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it'd be. I'll stick with it though; still pretty good.

It is a very specific style of dry, dark humor that isnt always humorous. Also, do yourself a favor and watch the first season cause its amazing.

Toothless

It is a very specific style of dry, dark humor that isnt always humorous. Also, do yourself a favor and watch the first season cause its amazing.

I plan getting around to season 1, but I'm working through Rick and Morty right now and kinda want to finish it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yo that cast

Was the first season like this? I mean I know its a different cast but damn thats some legit star power there

Walpurgis

Banned

I thought the grey part in the opening was pretty funny. The part where the white guy said he was a Jew and knew about how tough things are to the Aboriginal guy made me LMAO. The conversation between the coked out younger brother and the judge was also funny to me. I can't wait to see that Reagan character. Should be a real knee-slapper.

Hatchtag

Banned
Yo that cast

Was the first season like this? I mean I know its a different cast but damn thats some legit star power there

First season's leads were arguably bigger (Billy Bob Thorton & Martin Freeman). Though both seasons have really good casts, and this season doesn't need as big of leads since it seems to be more of an ensemble.

roytheone

I never got very far into the first season, but I thought the season 2 premiere was sensational.

Why? I thought season 1 was amazing from beginning to end. I did binge watched it though, so that could have helped in keeping my interest. Anyway, going to watch the season 2 premiere now, hopefully it doesn't disappoint!

El Topo

Why? I thought season 1 was amazing from beginning to end. I did binge watched it though, so that could have helped in keeping my interest. Anyway, going to watch the season 2 premiere now, hopefully it doesn't disappoint!

I don't think I can properly explain it, but Martin Freeman's character rubbed me the wrong way.

roytheone

Well, that was pretty great! They really nailed the atmosphere and managed to both make it feel different but still recognizable compared to season 1! I also thought it was a bit funnier.

I don't think I can properly explain it, but Martin Freeman's character rubbed me the wrong way.

It's Martin Freeman with a funny accent! How can that rub you the wrong way???? But seriously, like SuperStiltzkin said I think you are supposed to hate him a bit. He is a pretty smart dude that only thinks about his own interests, even destroying his brothers family in the process, and keeps getting away with it thanks to a lot of luck, even profiting from the horrible things he did!

Good start, as expected.

Pretty much. No chance at top five. Maybe top ten if you don't count miniseries. And I say this as a major fan of Fukunaga's direction, especially Jane Eyre.

Saty

They try very hard to be throwaway funny and it's just bad.

And stupidity is already at the driving seat of the plot, or needlessly complicating it with Dunst character that's basically is 'i'm doing the complete opposite of what a reasonable person would do in this situations'.

Helmholtz

Really good premiere. Looks like we're in for another solid season.
Didn't realize the killer was Macaulay Culkin's brother. I thought his performance in this episode was pretty great and I was honestly a bit bummed that he's already gone.

Loved the premiere. I dig that this show (along with Hannibal--RIP--and Breaking Bad) is continuing to push the formal conventions for television structure. It's a damn stylish show too, with great tension, and some solid comedic beats. Like last season it seems they rely too frequently on the "character tells a dramatic and seemingly unrelated story" technique, but I can forgive it since it works reasonably well in the context of the stylized world, and who can begrudge them because that half-measures story from Breaking Bad was so good that I can't blame them for wanting to do that shit all the time.

Top Bottom