• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Nuregarasu no Miko trailer + screenshots (Sep 27 in Japan)

ohlawd

do I get more points for taking better pictures?

I died earlier (lol), was over 2000 points. I get to the same section later on but ended at 1800. I'm pretty sure I got all the special photos in both runs.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Whoa this game looks good. I need this. Wii U needs this. Please.

InsuRn

Never played a Fatal Frame game before, but the trailer and the screens of this one sold me on it. Maybe an "Operation Ghost" could bring the game out of Japan ?

Fatal Frame can be pretty scary.

Like when you are doing a 360 with your camera to find the ghost and it's this close to you:

rU07bcA.jpg

mess

I died earlier (lol), was over 2000 points. I get to the same section later on but ended at 1800. I'm pretty sure I got all the special photos in both runs.
You get more points the better the shot is. Having the ghost in the center and close about to attack is optimal. If you get it at just the right moment you'll get a Fatal Frame which is worth a really large amount. It can be tough though, sometimes you have literally a split second.

you really have to get in the mood for Fatal Frame scares it is mostly about the environment and atmosphere - can easily brush off a ghost if you are focused on getting the best photos and points with your camera

Het_Nkik

You get more points the better the shot is. Having the ghost in the center and close about to attack is optimal. If you get it at just the right moment you'll get a Fatal Frame which is worth a really large amount. It can be tough though, sometimes you have literally a split second.

I streamed my playthrough of FF4 and I was trying to act brave waiting for Fatal Frame shots for the most points. But inside I was like ohgodohgodohgod I don't want to let it close to me this awful ohgod. Fun game.

I just imported a PAL version of Project Zero 2 so I can stream it in October.

jimi_dini

Ok, that was more or less a joke, but let's say that NOA decides to translate subtitles only. I believe that this is extremely easy to be done technically, just replacing the japanese text.

And what happens, when a proper translation takes more space (or way less space) than the Japanese text? What about the timing of subtitles? That needs adjusting too. What about menus? What about graphics, that need to get translated (menus, HUD, etc.)? You will definitely have to change code here and there. That's even assuming that the game is written in a way that you can easily change Japanese text to English text (which doesn't have to be the case). Fonts need to get created as well. Then like I said - QA and bugfixes. Lots of people involved and that will cost quite a bit of money.

For Europe the costs are even higher, because you need to translate the game to 5 languages, otherwise the target market will be way smaller.

Just take a look at the credits of Project Zero 2 (Wii Edition).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/wii/project-zero-2-wii-edition/credits

Localisation Management 3 people
Localisation Producers 2 people
Localisation Coordination 2 people
UK English Translation 2 people
French Translation 2 people
German Translation 2 people
Italian Translation 2 people
Spanish Translation 2 people
Debug & Quality Assurance Mario Club Co. Ltd., NOA Product Testing, NOE Quality Assurance, Keywords International (lots of people)

For QA just take a look at Xenoblade Chronicles. Sure, that's a way larger game, but there were around 7-10 translators involved and around the same amount of people for QA - for every single language.

I forget can ghost kill you in these games? what is the lose state?
I always had the feeling all you lose is not being fast enough to take a photo before they disappear

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Points are determined by a number of factors. How close you are to the ghost when you snap the ghost, where your camera is focused, how much you have 'charged' your shot (which also delivers more damage the more charge you have), and if you manage a zero shot (which means to attack right when the ghost is triggering its attack, which can be indicated when your viewfinder turns orange in the first FF). There's also a special shot or core shot you can take, but those are rare, risky, and hard to do most of the time.

Is this another Bayonetta 2 situation? Did Nintendo have anything to do with funding this?

Nintendo has been funding this series for years now the have publishing rights

there are some confusions over the issue but it is kinda like Bayonetta2 and not really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame
While Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame 4, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, the Spirit Camera spin-off and all future installments of the series.

Dusk Golem

I forget can ghost kill you in these games? what is the lose state?
I always had the feeling all you lose is not being fast enough to take a photo before they disappear

Death, you have a health meter and will die and load back to your last save position. However, there are areas to miss chances for points.

If you mean the non-hostile ghosts that quickly disappear, all you miss is some additional points and the ability to get an 100% album (which unlocks something in most FF games).

FF ghosts are split into four main categories:
-Wanderer (Ghost that very briefly appears, usually walking away or standing there, and can have their picture taken briefly for bonus points; sometimes used for scares)
-Hostile [Scripted] (Ghost that attacks you and might have a scare involved, but are scripted to appear and will stop attacking once you do something to finally put their flame to rest, usually indicated when they finally turn into a flame when you defeat them)
-Hostile [Random] (Ghost that attacks you but is set to appear randomly at any time during gameplay)
-Stalker (Invincible ghost you can't hurt who stalks you through an area, giving you no choice but to run for your life, and in some cases hide)

However, as I've mentioned here, I honestly think the games are too lenient on giving you healing items and while I love the series, some great atmosphere, moments, fun to play, etc., one of its weaknesses in most of the series is that its survival element is rather poor, the game's often are just too easy. They have the horror down, but the survival element is on the easier side most of the time. That's not to say they're a walk in the park, or not-scary, or not fun, as they certainly are in my opinion at least, but I do often find myself not dying by anything but my own forgetfulness to use a healing item in some situations I should of, and find myself with too many healing items by the game's end.

Nintendo has been funding this series for years now the have publishing rights

there are some confusions over the issue but it is kinda like Bayonetta2 and not really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame
While Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame 4, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, the Spirit Camera spin-off and all future installments of the series.

*sigh*
Thanks for the info.
Great news for WiiU owners, I suppose, so long as Nintendo decides to localize it.

Death, you have a health meter and will die and load back to your last save position. However, there are areas to miss chances for points.

If you mean the non-hostile ghosts that quickly disappear, all you miss is some additional points and the ability to get an 100% album (which unlocks something in most FF games).

FF ghosts are split into four main categories:
-Wanderer (Ghost that very briefly appears, usually walking away or standing there, and can have their picture taken briefly for bonus points; sometimes used for scares)
-Hostile [Scripted] (Ghost that attacks you and might have a scare involved, but are scripted to appear and will stop attacking once you do something to finally put their flame to rest, usually indicated when they finally turn into a flame when you defeat them)
-Hostile [Random] (Ghost that attacks you but is set to appear randomly at any time during gameplay)
-Stalker (Invincible ghost you can't hurt who stalks you through an area, giving you no choice but to run for your life, and in some cases hide)

However, as I've mentioned here, I honestly think the games are too lenient on giving you healing items and while I love the series, some great atmosphere, moments, fun to play, etc., one of its weaknesses in most of the series is that its survival element is rather poor, the game's often are just too easy. They have the horror down alright, but the survival element is on the easier side most of the time..

yeah I was confused about these you made it very clear
but you can change difficulty levels in most of the games right?

Dusk Golem

yeah I was confused about these you made it very clear
but you can change difficulty levels in most of the games right?

Yes and no, how Fatal Frame works is that you have to unlock difficulty levels. So the first time you play the game you need to play it through Normal Difficulty to unlock Nightmare difficulty, then play it through Nightmare difficulty to unlock Fatal difficulty. Part of the reason for this is because in all of the Fatal Frame games so far, the ending you get is tied with the difficulty level you're playing on, and the higher difficulty you're on, the better ending you get.

Though two comments on this, some minor spoilers here so I'll spoiler tag it.
The Fatal Frame series is unique in that while there are better 'alternate' endings, the normal difficulty 'bad' endings are the canon endings (Fatal Frame 1 and 2's normal endings are canon as proven by Fatal Frame 3),
and Fatal Frame 2 and 3 at least have some other endings you can get by doing specific things in the game.

ohlawd

Points are determined by a number of factors. How close you are to the ghost when you snap the ghost, where your camera is focused, how much you have 'charged' your shot (which also delivers more damage the more charge you have), and if you manage a zero shot (which means to attack right when the ghost is triggering its attack, which can be indicated when your viewfinder turns orange in the first FF). There's also a special shot or core shot you can take, but those are rare, risky, and hard to do most of the time.

Thanks

Wasted too much of my weak film. I was trigger happy for half an hour, doing weak damage like 10-20. Yeah so to reiterate; I should keep my reticle centered on a ghost, letting the blue symbol things on the bottom get to near max then take a shot. Hopefully I find more film lol. I have a bunch of the stronger film but I wanna save it since I never know >_>

Eolz

According to this new Team Ninja tweet, if I understand it well, part of the engine is using technologies from DoA5
WiiU port pls

映像を見て、気づいているかもしれませんが、先日発表された「零」最新作にはDOA5の技術が一部活用されています!"@famitsu: 【速報】『零 ~濡鴉ノ巫子~(ぜろ ぬれがらすのみこ)』 発売日発表! http://t.co/ptbXaRKCCV"

There's a Famitsu article link too.

It sucks that they removed content from the English Wii version. It also sucks that you cannot scan the PZ2 manual in the US release of Spirit Camera. It also sucks that they never brought the Wii Fatal Frames to the US. Thanks Nintendo!

The Fatal Frame series is unique in that while there are better 'alternate' endings, the normal difficulty 'bad' endings are the canon endings (Fatal Frame 1 and 2's normal endings are canon as proven by Fatal Frame 3),
and Fatal Frame 2 and 3 at least have some other endings you can get by doing specific things in the game.
So Kei and Mio died, then? Sadness...

Dusk Golem

So Kei and Mio died, then? Sadness...

Yup, there's a segment in Fatal Frame 3 where you play and Miku and she's reliving her time at the manor of her dreams chasing her dead brother, and the main character in FF3 is cousins of the FF2 girls, and Mio's sister has passed away.

Yup, there's a segment in Fatal Frame 3 where you play and Miku and she's reliving her time at the manor of her dreams chasing her dead brother, and the main character in FF3 is cousins of the FF2 girls, and Mio's sister has passed away.
Oh, I'm aware of those. It just never occurred to me that
Fatal Frame III taking the "Normal" ending from the first and second game means that the canon ending in the third one is most likely the "Normal" one, too
. Is there any allusion or confirmation to this in Tsukihami no Kamen or anywhere else? *clinging to a little hope*

Yes and no, how Fatal Frame works is that you have to unlock difficulty levels. So the first time you play the game you need to play it through Normal Difficulty to unlock Nightmare difficulty, then play it through Nightmare difficulty to unlock Fatal difficulty. Part of the reason for this is because in all of the Fatal Frame games so far, the ending you get is tied with the difficulty level you're playing on, and the higher difficulty you're on, the better ending you get.

this is cool, thanks

Top Bottom