• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC wireless chip filing makes me think Sony will announce new Vita hardware

g.r.e.

Please Sony, let this be true.
And please, don't do a rehearsal of the stupid bullshit that killed the Vita in the first place: we need internal storage + SD card, not your stupid & overpriced format...and comfier buttons.

Please be true as a long term resident of vita island my OLED as seen better days and want get a backup or 2. Oh be still my heart if it is a vita, Sony you crazy beautiful company!

Afrit

What makes you think this is about VITA? Could also be a new WiFi chip for the PS4K .

Ok I'm at work so took a quick peek, but the Japanse source link says something like:

"Sony has requested two wireless modules at FCC. The model numbers are AW-CB262 and J20H091. The first one is identical to the wireless module used in the PS4, while the second is identical to the one used by the PS Vita. Could the Vita also be getting an upgrade?"

Please note this is a really crude translation and I have no technical knowledge about this whatsoever... But that's basically what it says.

Onaco

No its not

Look at the module numbers in the source

They reference BOTH PS4 and Vita numbers

It suggests Vita is indeed getting some kind of revision with 5GHz wifi

Any other upgrades is just speculation at this point

Point out which line and numbers that is.

Guymelef

Stupid Sony, bringing PS Meeting at the start of September to show Neo before NX and now they are stealing Neo moment showing the real game changer Vita Ultra

UCBooties

Let's be honest here. This PS Vita 2 thing is a darn stretch. No way Sony doubles down on the handheld market after the complete and total bust that was the PS Vita.

Then again this is Sony we're talking about here.

Nooooo! The time has come! At last the time has
probably not
come!

Please be real :"(

I mean, while the Vita has bombed hard in the west, it's still doing well enough in the east that there continues to be niche Japanese games made for it. And if Sony does nothing the NX (assuming it's anything like what it's rumored to be) will take that niche for themselves. A new Vita with specs high enough to make cross-platform PS4 (and NX) development more viable might not be a completely insane idea, depending on how much they care about that niche.

Alternately, it could just be built as a dedicated remote play device that might play Vita games as an added bonus.

Alternately, it could be nothing. That's the most likely answer, of course.

Regardless, considering how they've pretty much ignored the system's fucking existence over the past few years' worth of conferences, pretty much any sort of portable device-related news would be a pretty HOLY SHIT moment.

Mendrox

Please Sony, let this be true.
And please, don't do a rehearsal of the stupid bullshit that killed the Vita in the first place: we need internal storage + SD card, not your stupid & overpriced format...and comfier buttons.

This this this. please be true.

PS Vita is the best handheld ever (sadly not software wise of course, but everything else is top notch!)

Let's be honest here. This PS Vita 2 thing is a darn stretch. No way Sony doubles down on the handheld market after the complete and total bust that was the PS Vita.

Then again this is Sony we're talking about here.

People expecting a successor to the vita are crazy.. When was the last time Sony even said the word vita

Point out which line and numbers that is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213103917&postcount=207

"Sony has requested two wireless modules at FCC. The model numbers are AW-CB262 and J20H091. The first one is identical to the wireless module used in the PS4, while the second is identical to the one used by the PS Vita. Could the Vita also be getting an upgrade?"

According to this post the Module number in the OP picture IS corresponding to the Vita chipset

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
If this is an upgraded PS Vita system I will be there day one.

Matrix_slideshow.jpg

yes!

Kaydan

Banned
Let me say this: I am deeply entrenched in Microsoft's ecosystem. But if Sony releases a handheld of the same build quality as the Vita, I will pull the trigger. The Vita is simply a beautiful piece of tech.

yeah, I'm taking this with an extra large pinch of salt. The vita certainitly didn't sell to somy's expectations, 4 years ago.

Could be an 5GHZ wifi chip, as other pointed out, for the ps4 neo. Or even a revised, cheaper, newer ps vita.

Can't imagine a whole new ps portable, especially with the perfiormace of the vita so far sales wise, Would LOVE to be proven wrong though. Gues we'll find out soon.

SephiZack

Is nobody reading the OP? That's the first thing I did after opening the thread and I don't see any mention of PSVita in those pictures

Omikaru

I am seeing nothing in the OP that suggests this is for Vita. Isn't this just the wireless chip inside Neo? Where did the 'Trinity' name come from (other than just the OP relating it to The Matrix, i.e. Neo and Morpheus)?

Tales from OP's ass?

timberger

Sorry OP, but that sounds like a hot line of bullshit to me.

Sony ain't releasing any more handhelds. If they did it'd be pretty great if for no other reason than to watch that neogaf member with the Loki(?) avatar who is always crusading against Vita have a full scale meltdown :D

At the very most all they'd do with Vita at this point is another revision... maybe one that uses SD cards?

yeah, I'm taking this with an extra large pinch of salt. The vita certainitly didn't sell to somy's expectations, 4 years ago.

Could be an 5GHZ wifi chip, as other pointed out, for the ps4 neo. Or even a revised, cheaper, newer ps vita.

Can't imagine a whole new ps portable, especially with the perfiormace of the vita so far sales wise, Would LOVE to be proven wrong though. Gues we'll find out soon.

I mean I want to say its just a simple revision but if you are gonna slap a 5Ghz chip into the Vita and NOTHING else?

They need to address the memory or forget this idea entirely. I have no idea what their plan is but I have to imagine its an upgrade in line with the Neo

KupoNut

PSA:
- Source doesn't write about a new Vita version
- Source doesn't say a new Vita version could be announced at the PlayStation Meeting event
- There is no mention of "Trinity" anywhere

This is entirely the OPs thoughts and people not thinking and just hitting that "Post Reply" button.

Top Bottom