• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, March 7th

Unknown?

Are some serious about people waiting for Scorpio? Majority of people that buy consoles likely have no clue what Scorpio is.
Exactly! I know a lot of casual gamers who don't even know what the Pro is and that's been out for months! These same people have never even heard of Scorpio. It only really effects people who are more serious and visit gaming websites.

Are some serious about people waiting for Scorpio? Majority of people that buy consoles likely have no clue what Scorpio is.

There's a definite bubble on GAF that I think we're all guilty of at times. You're absolutely right that outside of the very hardcore circles the majority won't even be aware of it.

PS4 Pro, too.

Yes. Scorpio has likely impacted the sales curve, however slightly, for the Xbox One. It's not why the PS4 won the month, it's not some excuse for disappointing sales. It's just one of many factors impacting the market.

It's been publicly announced, to release later this year, the people at MS keep talking about it, and there's still a lot of uncertainty about what it is and how much it will cost.

You also have a soft release slate this year, especially when compared to PS4, and the launch of the Switch in March.

All of these things impacted sales in the month, for all gaming, just as similar factors come into play in other months.

You don't need to freak out about it.

Oh, and delayed tax refunds to the list...

Tubie

Like many have already said, by and large the casual and even semi-hardcore know next to nothing about Scorpio (or even the Pro), so I doubt it's having any noticeable impact on sales.

The cheapest SKUs will be king till a new generation comes and they are no longer supported.

Like many have already said, by and large the casual and even semi-hardcore know next to nothing about Scorpio (or even the Pro), so I doubt it's having any noticeable impact on sales.

The cheapest SKUs will be king till a new generation comes and they are no longer supported.

The cheapest versions aren't even leading in sales now.

And just because "many have said it" doesn't make it right.

The pro has been outselling the slim? :O

Or maybe I'm not getting what you mean to say.

There are cheaper versions of the hw than the Slim and the S still on shelves, but Slim and S are leading in sales.

Yes, a very small number, sure. And no more of the old versions of the hw are being made. A small number, just like the impact of Scorpio on Xbox One sales. Small.

Tubie

There are cheaper versions of the hw than the Slim and the S still on shelves, but Slim and S are leading in sales.

I had no idea there were cheaper SKUs than the Slim and S.

The only options cheaper I've seen are pre-owned consoles or refurbished consoles whenever I check Amazon or Gamestop, and I don't think there's any way for us to properly track those. The only other thing I can think of is the old Xbox and PS4 SKUs that might still be left in some stores somehow and have a discount, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison either cause those are not widely available in every retailer anymore.

Saw your edit now:

Yes, a very small number, sure. And no more of the old versions of the hw are being made. A small number, just like the impact of Scorpio on Xbox One sales. Small.

Well my original point was that Scorpio being more expensive meant the cheaper One S would be the best selling version of the console by a considerable margin. Same with the Slim vs Pro.

I mean technically you are right, the discontinued or refurbished versions of the consoles might be cheaper and sell less lol.

Exactly! I know a lot of casual gamers who don't even know what the Pro is and that's been out for months! These same people have never even heard of Scorpio. It only really effects people who are more serious and visit gaming websites.

I believe this is true. I was at target not long ago talking to a employee in the games department who happened to be a big Xbox fan he told me when I bought my copy of forza 6. I asked him if he was getting the Scorpio and he said what's that?. I told him it's new upgraded Xbox one and he was shocked. He had no idea what it was before I told him.

donny2112

PS4 #1. That means it sold at least one console guys. Otherwise, it could only be tied for #1
ignoring returns during the month
. You guys saying there are no numbers. Sheesh! Maybe the Daylight Savings Time version PR of the February release will have a better range than > 0, though. Have hope!

blakep267

I believe this is true. I was at target not long ago talking to a employee in the games department who happened to be a big Xbox fan he told me when I bought my copy of forza 6. I asked him if he was getting the Scorpio and he said what's that?. I told him it's new upgraded Xbox one and he was shocked. He had no idea what it was before I told him.
I mean to be fair, a lot of retail workers have no idea about a lot of stuff. I can even go to gamestop and people will be clueless about certain things

AmyS

So, even though the margin of the win is probably not massive, Sony has strung together a 3 month streak with PS4 sales in NA: December, January and February, after Microsoft had a 5 month streak with Xbox One/Xbox One S: July, August, September, October and November, correct?

Tubie

So, even though the margin of the win is probably not massive, Sony has strung together a 3 month streak with PS4 sales in NA: December, January and February, after Microsoft had a 5 month streak with Xbox One/Xbox One S: July, August, September, October and November, correct?

PS4 won November too.

donny2112

The Osborne Effect is a real thing. I think it's in play for the Xbox One right now. If you disagree, then make an argument beyond "it's obvious" please.

Well, looking at YOY, XB1 has been up since the XB1S in August except for November and maybe this month. You could definitely make the argument that it'd be up higher YOY without the Scoprio announcement, of course, as more of the hardcore fans would've jumped on S instead of waiting for Scorpio. Some definitely are, but it would seem to be subjective how significant that amount is without some kind of polling data. Not saying it's just the S. Price being consistently low ($200-$250 after extra controllers, gift cards, etc.) has certainly helped a lot. Some like the fact it's an UHD player, but that kind of high-end A/V caring core traditionally isn't too big. Price has always been a big factor, though.

I'd say that if you are looking at it as the heavy core XB1 fan is waiting for Scorpio, which lessens direct sales and also word-of-mouth of XB1s sales, then there'd be a noticeable impact. Just not sure if that's particularly quantifiable.

donny2112

This gen is closer between Sony/Microsoft than any previous gen. Homogenization of the consoles? Increasing/decreasing/steadying brand power?

One of the graphs I often do is the lead of PS4 over XB1 as a percentage of XB1 userbase. This graph then shows relatively how PS4 has been ahead of XB1. Since November 2014, the range has only been 8-15%. That means the closest XB1 has been to PS4 since Nov-2014 is 8% of XB1's LTD sales, and the farthest it's been from PS4 in that timeframe is 15% of XB1's LTD sales (at the month of measurement). (Currently, it's at 11% diff, btw.) PS4 is exceedingly unlikely to lose the U.S. to XB1 this gen. Likewise, XB1 is exceedingly unlikely to fall particularly fall behind PS4 in the U.S., this gen. Still, it's been very unique to see these two manufacturers so very close as they have been this gen.

Short point, praising monthly victories in a warring sense should be passe by now. As I have been recently advised, though, "should" is usually a faulty position to take on matters. :lol

RexNovis

Banned
Listed in the post that also included the Scorpio bit, and other factors.

Really don't know why I waste my time in these threads anymore.

Well I can't speak for everyone but I know at least some of us appreciate your input... But yea NPD threads are a mere shadow of what they used to be. Feels bad man.

I think this is gonna be my last active month in NPD threads, its just not what it used to be anymore.

I'll just casually pop in for Abdiel's posts.

This gen is closer between Sony/Microsoft than any previous gen. Homogenization of the consoles? Increasing/decreasing/steadying brand power?
My personal feeling is that those factors, while they may have effect, don't tell the whole story. If we look at other regions, the companies aren't necessarily close (non-NPD areas are further apart this gen than last, etc.). So it seems there's not an overall trend driving specifically toward closer performance.

With multiple outcomes, we'll need different explanations for each region to cover the specifics. But I think a principal component analysis would find just general increase in customer desire for Sony's product explains a lot (though not all) of the difference. Sony was far ahead in Japan; now they're very far ahead. Sony was far behind in the U.S.; now they're barely ahead. And so on.

Of course, that doesn't say why consumers have an increased desire for the Sony machine. For that more difficult question, brand power is a very plausible part of the answer. But homogenization doesn't seem to be playing much of a role, since we'd expect that to reduce gen-to-gen differences.

EDITED to remove the (unintended) condescending tone, and clarify my point.

noobie

Banned
Do we know margin of win for this month?

I'd have to know what the Osborne Effect is to disagree. Somebody enlighten a pleb? :/

It's a pretty fascinating case study in tech history.

The Osborne effect is a term referring to the unintended consequences of a company announcing a future product, unaware of the risks involved or when the timing is misjudged, which ends up having a negative impact on the sales of the current product. This is often the case when a product is announced too long before its actual availability. This has the immediate effect of customers canceling or deferring orders for the current product, knowing that it will soon be obsolete, and any unexpected delays often means the new product comes to be perceived as vaporware, damaging the company's credibility and profitability.

The term was coined after the Osborne Computer Corporation, in which the company took more than a year to make its next product available and eventually ran out of cash and went bankrupt in 1985.[1][2]

Pre-announcement is done for several reasons: to reassure current customers that there is improvement or lower cost coming, to increase the interest of the media and investors in the company's future prospects, and to intimidate or confuse competitors. When done correctly, the sales or cash flow impact to the company is minimal, as the revenue drop for the current product is replaced by orders or completed sales of the new product as it becomes available. However, when the Osborne effect occurs, inventories increase and the company must react by either discounting or lowering production of the current product, both of which depress cash flow.

One may disagree that this is what's happening. But "herpderp sony has moar better gamez" probably isn't the only thing going on in the market.

ethomaz

Banned
It's a pretty fascinating case study in tech history.

One may disagree that this is what's happening. But "herpderp sony has moar better gamez" probably isn't the only thing going on in the market.
While I believe the lack games and the Scorpio plays a good role in XB1 sales...

In normal conditions I expect PS4 just to sell more in February... since 2013 I don't see how XB1 can sell more than PS4 in US... the demand is bigger for PS4 than XB1.

I don't think Scorpio will change that... it is possible the demand for Scorpio be bigger than Pro but PS4 will still have more demand.

Top Bottom