• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fede Alvarez (Don't Breathe) in talks to direct 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via variety

Fresh off the success of Sony’s “Don’t Breathe,” Sony Pictures is eyeing director Fede Alvarez for one of the studio’s major franchises.

Sources tell Variety Alvarez is the choice to direct “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” the sequel to “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

Steven Knight penned the script with Scott Rudin, Amy Pascal, Elizabeth Cantillon, and Yellow Bird’s Ole Søndberg and Søren Stærmose on board to produce. David Beaubaire is overseeing for the studio

The pic is based on the new novel by David Lagercrantz, who took over for the series after the original novel’s author Stieg Larsson died in 2004. In the novel, Salander teamed up with journalist Mikael Blomkvist to enter a world of a ruthless underworld of spies, cybercriminals, and government operatives — some willing to kill to protect their secrets.

Montresor

Don't Breathe is a 10/10 masterpiece of a movie. Loved the back-and-forth tension in what's essentially a 90-min home invasion story.

Alvarez is on my whitelist so I'm excited to see how he takes on Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I honestly figured we were never going to get a sequel, so I'm equally excited and surprised by this news.

Though it seems weird that they're skipping the other books (although I admittedly didn't read them, so I can't comment beyond that). For those familiar, will the films miss out by skipping the other stories?

I honestly figured we were never going to get a sequel, so I'm equally excited and surprised by this news.

Though it seems weird that they're skipping the other books (although I admittedly didn't read them, so I can't comment beyond that). For those familiar, will the films miss out by skipping the other stories?

From having watched the Noomi Rapace movies, I don't think so. Played with Fire and Hornet's Nest can basically hold their own as a self-contained story. They do a decent/good job of getting into Lisbeth's backstory, but it's nothing that's necessary for a potential franchise.

Busty

Banned
Sony literally just had an unwanted and unnecessary sequel in Inferno completely crater at the American box office why would they steam head long into another one with this?

I heard that Sony were going to turn the remaining 'Dragon Tattoo' sequels into event series for Netflix or wherever rather than films. That makes so much more sense to me than this.

Violet_0

Banned
the one (movie) were Lisbeth is in
prison
was absolutely awful, so maybe skipping a few books isn't such a bad idea

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I LOVED Don't Breathe, so I'm down for him getting a bigger project. Interesting choice by Sony to skip over to The Girl in the Spider's Web. Maybe they're hoping since it hasn't been adapted yet that there would be more international interest than if they remade Hornet's Nest and Played With Fire.

Caelestis

Weird that they'd skip the 2 books and ignore her backstory, but I guess with such huge time break since the first movie it doesn't matter anymore. Might as well make it a stand alone movie.

Blader

I wonder if they're still planning to recast with Alicia Vikander. I'd love for Mara to come back, but if they did want to cast someone else, I'd be plenty ok with Vikander.

obin_gam

Evil Dead was great, but Don't Breathe was terrible. Was ready to walk out of the theater when Stephen Lang
picked up that turkey thing
in the 3rd act. Fucking ridiculous.

El Topo

Years too late.
(Yes, I know *that* particular novel only came out rather recently.)

Sony literally just had an unwanted and unnecessary sequel in Inferno completely crater at the American box office why would they steam head long into another one with this?

Because Sony.

Betty

Banned
Haven't read the newest book but 2 & 3 weren't great, especially 3 which was such a massive let down.

So maybe this is for the best.

Remaking Playing With Fire is tricky
as Lisbeth is not in it for a large part
but Spider's Web is a terrible, terrible book.

wrowa

By skipping to the newest book they at least acknowledge that they are way too late, I guess.

How was that book anyway? It was written after the original author already passed away, wasn't it?

tbm24

I heard that Sony were going to turn the remaining 'Dragon Tattoo' sequels into event series for Netflix or wherever rather than films. That makes so much more sense to me than this.
Inferno was devoid of everything that made Davinci Code and Angels and Demons fun if flawed movies. This Director attached could do well if marketed well, and rated R.

Pity about Fincher not coming back. He was an absolute hoot in the special features.

"I don't want to talk about grosses or anything like that because I'm a simple man and better than that, but this is gonna be bigger than Da Vinci Code." (makes a hilarious "Yeah, I went there" face)

It's important to note that neither Rooney Mara or Daniel Craig have been asked back for this.

Sounds like a low-key reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom