• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 remake's latest staff interviews (contains some info on multi-release plan)

Ugh, this mixture of old school gameplay with action gameplay hardly ever word well in modern RPG combat systems, see: Dragon Age Inquisition. Devs need to go fully for one or the other.

Rpgmonkey

Ehhh, not feeling the split strategy regardless of whether it's genuine or just a cash grab. Not angry, don't care enough abut FF anymore to be, but I don't really have any reason to be ok with it either at the moment. :/

ATB and combat less actiony than Kingdom hearts is cool though.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
"From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game."

Uh huh.

Eusis

I'm suspecting it'll be like a more visually exciting version of FFXII's combat, probably end up like Dragon Age or something. Which I guess is a good enough compromise all things considered.

Hahaha pretty relieved tbh
Glad I didn't act like a complete fool and jump to conclusions like I wanted to.
Would still rather one whole game but this is fine as long as it's not a watered down ff7.
Man I'm so hyped for this game I really don't want to lose it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Darn, and 2 minutes away. GAF is so fast when it comes to FFVII.

I felt bad even though, despite technically beating you by a "whopping" two minutes, lol. I figured there'd probably be more than one of us working on this thread, but I didn't want to hit to assume that was the case and hit the sack without trying, just in case no one else was going to bother.

Probably because they actually want to get the game out the door ASAP and develop Noctis to be super complex. Idk.

This is more or less what Tabata has said. A lot of coding has gone into the battle interactions with Noctis and the other characters with him being the one that you control. Switching characters would mean they'd have to do similar situations for all characters and that would eat up a lot of time.

prwxv3

The reactions in the other thread look so silly now.

Let's be honest here SE (unlike many fan reactions) is actually being level headed for once. They want the game to come out in a reasonable time with the quality they are expected to have. They could have just half assed the remake to get the whole thing done in a reasonable time and it still probably would have sold decently.

Controlable party members is a relief.

Not for me until we get more info on it. Character switch is not a plus to me because it's something that should be a given (and any multi-character ARPG that doesn't is a disappointment).

Once I find out that uncontrolled characters will do nothing without my input except MAYBE basic attacks, I will breathe a sigh of relief.

Ugh, this mixture of old school gameplay with action gameplay hardly ever word well in modern RPG combat systems, see: Dragon Age Inquisition. Devs need to go fully for one or the other.

SE devs have experiences in both turn-based RPG and action RPG. It's different from Bioware

Tratorn

Why does the first quote/translation (from raven777) mention they have to cut some parts and the other one (from JeffAtomsky) says they want to keep the content of the original and even add some stuff? :p

Or is "removing content" just for minor things and/or features of the battle system?

Anyways, sounds good as long as I can play the game in a similiar way as I did 18 years ago, as soon as all episodes are released.

Ralemont

not me
Sounds fine. Either I can wait for all the eps or play each when they come out.

My main issues with episodic games are 1) I tend to forget the nuances of the story and 2) there isn't enough content per episode. Neither will be an issue with this (I already know the story), so bring it.

Not for me until we get more info on it. Character switch is not a plus to me because it's something that should be a given (and any multi-character ARPG that doesn't is a disappointment).

Once I find out that uncontrolled characters will do nothing without my input except MAYBE basic attacks, I will breathe a sigh of relief.

How on earth is that going to work when combat is in real time?

Turin

Banned
I'm a little confused.

Will we be able to return to Midgar if we want in the last episode?

Do they know how many episodes yet?

I remember when I was originally playing Final Fantasy VII and I actually thought the game was ending as I reached the top of Shinra building. That's probably going to come true all these years later.

Game one will be Midgar. Game two will be adventuring to Northern Crater. Game three will be the fight to stop Sephiroth from ending the world.

Guri

Couldn't they release it in multiple blu Ray like the original had 3 cds? Of course not then they will only have to charge you 60.

Maybe they could. However, it would be way more expensive. Episodic gaming does't mean more profit, it means money available to develop the game. Only after it's done that you consider a profit. And make no mistake. Although Square is a huge company, the costs are still too high.

Plus time, but that's a given.

And to be clear, I'm not a fan like you guys. I am interested in this, but I also know how hard and expensive is to develop a game. This is especially a costly project. Doesn't mean others aren't (they are), just that there are specific considerations that don't apply to these other games.

injurai

Banned
It's a huge dig towards Tabata's team TBH. If we can control Aerith or Tifa, why can't we control Gladio or Prompto?

We all know Nomura didn't want it to end up that way. It's probably my biggest let down in terms of changes that they made to XV.

If they can merge all of the episodes into 1 big game for a retail release, I'll be content.

Also let me turn off ATB, it's dumb. Don't show me action RPG gameplay then make it run on a timer. :(

How on earth is that going to work when combat is in real time?

I don't know, that's Square's job to figure out. Even doing basic attacks is honestly pushing it for me. If I'm expected to let an AI handle vital actions, even with vague directions ala gambits or paradigms, I will consider this remake a failure.

Lol the over reactions to everything look ridiculous now

It still does have ATB
It still will have all of the comical stuff in, even cross dressing
They are not cutting content, but adding even more in

It sounds amazing
And the staggered release means we will probably get to play it earlier
Aww yiss

prwxv3

Why does the first quote/translation (from raven777) mention they have to cut some parts and the other one (from JeffAtomsky) says they want to keep the content of the original and even add some stuff? :p

Or is "removing content" just for minor things and/or features of the battle system?

Anyways, sounds good as long as I can play the game in a similiar way as I did 18 years ago, as soon as all episodes are released.

They would have to cut a crap tone more content if they had to make the entire game at once. They are still going to have to cut some content because of things being different today then when the vanilla game released and creative changes.

Maniel

Banned
I knew it wouldn't be the doomsday scenerio some people thought it would be. Still need some more clarification on the stuff being cut but otherwise it sounds like they are trying to stay faithful to the original story

Turin

Banned
If they can merge all of the episodes into 1 big game for a retail release, I'll be content.

Also let me turn off ATB, it's dumb. Don't show me action RPG gameplay then make it run on a timer. :(

Yeah. I'm not entirely sure what they were getting at with that.

Gonna need to see it in action.

I'm a little confused.

Will we be able to return to Midgar if we want in the last episode?

Do they know how many episodes yet?

Even in the original game most of Midgar gets blocked off after you leave it. But yes, the ability to backtrack is one of the main hurdles they haven't addressed yet.

213372bu

Banned
I don't know, that's Square's job to figure out. Even doing basic attacks is honestly pushing it for me. If I'm expected to let an AI handle vital actions, even with vague directions ala gambits or paradigms, I will consider this remake a failure.

So you want them to do the equivalent of a T-pose in a real-time high-action ARPG and it's Square's job to find out for you how that's going to work out?

Uhh, they're going the XV route.

SRTtoZ

Honestly sounds great. I know people freaked out when they saw multiple releases but if they are jam packed with detail like they said I have no problem with that. Hopefully they let us pay 1 price for everything, sort of like a season pass.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

You want to be able to control and micromanage all three character's actions in real-time? And if it doesn't you think it's a failure. lol. You're kidding right? are you that disillusioned that the combat needs to stay absolutely pure to the ps1's essence that everything else is deemed a failure? you can't possibly be serious.

So you want them to do the equivalent of a T-pose in a real-time high-action ARPG and it's Square's job to find out for you how that's going to work out?

Uhh, they're going the XV route.

They're saying it isn't an ARPG that's not like Crisis Core, Dissidia or KH, and they sure as hell aren't going the XV route.

chekhonte

Ahh, I think it can be done. There are some pretty cool ideas in that other FFVII thread of mine (gosh) on how to split stuff up rather organically, I think.

There's no doubt that it can be done but it won't be well paced and it definitely won't feel right to anybody that has played it a dozen times.

It's FF7, i'm sure they know that people aren't just going to write it off because of that news even if they're angry. What they're saying here makes it sound like each part is going to have a ton of content, so even if it's split you're still going to have plenty to play around with.

As long as each episode is not at full retail price, i have no problem with their strategy. I am guessing $40 a piece.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If you think about it, FFVII remake is too huge to be put into one disc, then what does this mean for FFXV and by the looks of it, it's going to be really big? It's going to be one of these for FFXV:

1. A lot will be cut and streamlined, hence we'll have several "FFX Calm Lands" maps and several "FFXIII Cocoon" maps;
2. The maps are huge but will have much fewer accessible areas; or
3. They'll still retain the big maps in sacrifice of the development time, and it's probably gonna have a lot of repetition.

I still don't get the hate towards episodic content. Even if the original wasn't episodic. I never played the original, but everyone always told me the game is huge in terms of content. I can't imagine a game that huge existing in the modern world without major cuts which would have fans screaming regardless.

AniHawk

i think people kind of responded as they would to the idea that the game was getting split up. i feel there was more than one way to go about remaking this title, and square-enix went with the second-most financially risky option for kind of no reason.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Indeed

Edit: This thread and the other thread are like night and day, wow

Top Bottom