• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 remake's latest staff interviews (contains some info on multi-release plan)

There's no doubt that it can be done but it won't be well paced and it definitely won't feel right to anybody that has played it a dozen times.

They're adding a bunch of stuff and removing other stuff. There's totally opportunity for redoing arcs from the original into more climatic stand alone games. Your faith in Square to pull that off is a totally different ball game.

AwShucks

Couldn't they release it in multiple blu Ray like the original had 3 cds? Of course not then they will only have to charge you 60.

Of course not. Games cost more to make these days and Square needs to make money. I'm sure they are tired of Final Fantasy games taking forever to make.

You want to be able to control and micromanage all three character's actions in real-time? And if it doesn't you think it's a failure. lol. You're kidding right? are you that disillusioned that the combat needs to stay absolutely pure to the ps1's essence that everything else is deemed a failure? you can't possibly be serious.

Not a failure, a failure for me. Full party control was the ONE thing I didn't want abandoned, and my hype will be gone if it is. Everyone else is still free to enjoy the game.

I don't even care about staggered episodic releases. I just don't want the combat to follow the same regressive, limited control systems that have been ruining this genre (again, for me) for a while now. I imagine there are many ways to implement a system I'm proposing while still keeping things fresh.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not a failure, a failure for me. Full party control was the ONE thing I didn't want abandoned, and my hype will be gone if it is. Everyone else is still free to enjoy the game.

I don't even care about staggered episodic releases. I just don't want the combat to follow the same regressive, limited control systems that have been ruining this genre (again, for me) for a while now.

How is it regressive?

213372bu

Banned
They're saying it isn't an ARPG that's not like Crisis Core, Dissidia or KH, and they sure as hell aren't going the XV route.

They said it's going to be a seamless active battle with tempos sorta like Dissidia.

You can also see in the trailer that the person is controlling Barret while Cloud is hitting enemies behind him.

How isn't it like XV in terms of party members fighting alongside you?

You want to be able to control and micromanage all three character's actions in real-time? And if it doesn't you think it's a failure. lol. You're kidding right? are you that disillusioned that the combat needs to stay absolutely pure to the ps1's essence that everything else is deemed a failure? you can't possibly be serious.

heres how you fix the AI problem
borrow Tales of Hearts Rs ai strategys
i never had any problems telling my party members what to do cause it was so detailed

Couldn't they release it in multiple blu Ray like the original had 3 cds? Of course not then they will only have to charge you 60.
We would probably have to wait like 3/4 years for that though.
At least by staggering it we can be playing maybe even as early as next holiday season.

And they'll definitely release it all in one package in the end anyway.

HeelPower

Its still not clear at all what they are doing with multiple-release plan.

Perhaps they themselves haven't decided yet.

kayos90

i never had any problems telling my party members what to do cause it was so detailed

cosmic wants to be able to control every minute action of every party member at any given point in time in a combat situation without AI control.

True Fire

If you think about it, FFVII remake is too huge to be put into one disc, then what does this mean for FFXV and by the looks of it, it's going to be really big? It's going to be one of these for FFXV:

1. A lot will be cut and streamlined, hence we'll have several "FFX Calm Lands" maps and several "FFXIII Cocoon" maps;
2. The maps are huge but will have much fewer accessible areas; or
3. They'll still retain the big maps in sacrifice of the development time, and it's probably gonna have a lot of repetition.

It's not that VII is too huge to fit onto one disc. It's just too dense to develop as a singular video game. It will probably fit on one disc eventually, or mostly on one disc with a mandatory install.

XV probably won't be very dense at all, so even if its world is supermassive its development is still feasible.

They have multiple developers helping them with developing the game... So why not just take your time, Square? Let it take years! It should!
But it's simply not going to have the same impact as the original if you cut it up!
I want to be blown away by playing it in one go. Revisit those "I can't believe my eyes" moments! This is still a huge bummer for me...

So im gonna finish part 1 then have to wait months to play part 2? Yea, no thanks, take your time and release it on multiple discs.
Disc space isn't the problem.

If they were to remake it in one single game, it'd either:

A) Take a long ass time to develop, especially at the standard of quality people would expect of it. After the Versus XIII clusterfuck and years of people bitching about that, it makes sense that they'd want to avoid that scenario again.

B) Be half-assed in quite a few aspects, like a lot of content and corners being cut, which wouldn't do the game justice at all, and people would (rightfully) endlessly bitch about that, too.

Doing it in parts is the lesser of two evils and is the most reasonable option: The game gets released in a reasonable timeframe (i.e. not a fucking console generation and a half) and has all the attention to detail and graphical fidelity most people would expect. And they'll inevitably release a complete edition after the fact, anyway.

AwShucks

If you think about it, FFVII remake is too huge to be put into one disc, then what does this mean for FFXV and by the looks of it, it's going to be really big? It's going to be one of these for FFXV:

1. A lot will be cut and streamlined, hence we'll have several "FFX Calm Lands" maps and several "FFXIII Cocoon" maps;
2. The maps are huge but will have much fewer accessible areas; or
3. They'll still retain the big maps in sacrifice of the development time, and it's probably gonna have a lot of repetition.

This really isn't the case. It's more that making games costs money and Square probably doesn't want to sink 5 years into a game again before releasing it.

How is it regressive?

Full control -> limited control. Tell me how that isn't regressive from a strategic standpoint.

I'm not saying stuff like KH and whatever else is bad, just a different beast. I don't want FF7r to be a different beast, I want it to be an evolution.

They said it's going to be a seamless active battle with tempos sorta like Dissidia.

You can also see in the trailer that the person is controlling Barret while Cloud is hitting enemies behind him.

How isn't it like XV in terms of party members fighting alongside you?

Yes, but we still no little about what Cloud hitting enemies behind Barret indicates. For all we know, it could be a left-over action from a previous "turn" before control switches to Barret.

And it's not like XV because there doesn't seem to be free movement.

Paradigms are more reliable than that. This isn't a fix at all. I don't want any characters taking any actions without my DIRECT input.

farisr

Its still not clear at all what they are doing with multiple-release plan.

Perhaps they themselves haven't decided yet.

Yeah, it seems all they've decided is that they want more than one release. How many they do will probably depends on how well development is going and how much they think they can squeeze out of the fans.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
about the episode stuff..after all the episodes are out I want to be able to play it seamlessly. I hope they achieve that

grimmiq

Will be interesting to see how this works with the "Play it first on Playstation 4" deal.

E3 2016: "Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 will be available for PS4 owners this Holiday season!"
E3 2017: "Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 will be available for PS4 owners this Holiday season and Xbox One owners will also be able to enjoy part 1!" *boos from XB1 owners*

kayos90

Full control -> limited control. Tell me how that isn't regressive from a strategic standpoint.

You're going to have to explain how it's going from full control and limited control wither either an actual definition or an example cuz as it stands now you're just simply saying that RPGs have regressed because we can't control everything. Can't control everything how? Depending on the combat system and what genre it's falling under, control is going to change drastically and what is defined as limited control in one genre may be defined as full control in another.

EDIT: I'm tired so don't hold it against me for just asking how DLC works and forgetting what DLC is lol doesn't change this next part though:

Of course that means it would inevitably mean reserving 150+GB on the HDD to play the full game (if it ends up being full 50GB for each part). Eventually having that much space reserved for one game would be insane if that's what SE ends up doing.

Honestly this is everything Nomura wanted to do with Versus. I can't believe it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't FFXV not open world but a series of large interconnected zones like Witcher 3? I feel like that would make the most sense for this rather than a full open world

prwxv3

Will be interesting to see how this works with the "Play it first on Playstation 4" deal.

E3 2016: "Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 will be available for PS4 owners this Holiday season!"
E3 2017: "Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 will be available for PS4 owners this Holiday season and Xbox One owners will also be able to enjoy part 1!" *boos from XB1 owners*

Let's be honest a majority of the xbone audience (not on GAF) don't care about Final Fantasy.

It's not that VII is too huge to fit onto one disc. It's just too dense to develop as a singular video game. It will probably fit on one disc eventually, or mostly on one disc with a mandatory install.

XV probably won't be very dense at all, so even if its world is supermassive its development is still feasible.
Also XV has the benefit of being in production for some years now.
Whereas VII doesn't have that luxury, it needs to be released in some form relatively sooner, because people won't be happy waiting forever for it, and it also needs to deliver the same scope as the original, but in modern presentation - not an easy ask.

HeelPower

Yeah, it seems all they've decided is that they want more than one release. How many they do will probably depends on how well development is going and how much they think they can squeeze out of the fans.

ِThey keep tip toeing around and never outright state what they want to do.

Seems like they want to go an episodic direction ,but are being annoyingly coy about it.

I think they can afford to be a bit clearer here.Its kind of a big deal judging by the crazy reactions all over the net.lol

Z3M0G

This sounds fantastic. My fears are definitely gone. It is good they aime to remake the entire game and then some. Im still not sure if i expect world exploration though... we will see.

They are excited about the project and are taking it seriously. You can tell.

Boke1879

Honestly this is everything Nomura wanted to do with Versus. I can't believe it.

Look how happy you are. :) It does seem like this is what versus was meant to be. Now with the episodic/multipart business he HAS to live up to what he's saying now. Make this remake faithful.

Also remember guys. A year ago Verendus said there was 2 FF7 games for PS4 coming out. This is most likely what he was talking about.

And the development seems to be going really smooth as well. We got a CG trailer at E3 and then a few months later we're looking at actual gameplay.

Nomura playing the long con it seems
he played Tabata like a DAMN FIDDLE!!
someone edit in Tabatas on the Miller Fiddle gif

You're going to have to explain how it's going from full control and limited control wither either an actual definition or an example cuz as it stands now you're just simply saying that RPGs have regressed because we can't control everything. Can't control everything how? Depending on the combat system and what genre it's falling under, control is going to change drastically and what is defined as limited control in one genre may be defined as full control in another.

We're talking about RPGs here, not character action games. Having complete control over 1 character while others are relegated to AI is going to create the possibility for errors and there has not yet been a perfect solution. Paradigms in FF13 did not account for advanced strategies in later parts of the game, and don't even get me started on the Tales/SO games (Zestiria's AI was ABYSMAL even with strategies).

Fou-Lu

I am excited, most of what they are saying and what I am seeing is hitting the right notes, so no need for panic.

novablue

Banned
Eh, I'm sure the non hardcore public will eat this up just like movies based on books that get split into two parts.

So are you saying a potential problem is on Square's hands?

Let's be honest a majority of the xbone audience (not on GAF) don't care about Final Fantasy.

That maybe true but releasing FF-Type 0 and FFXV, it would be pretty stupid not to release FF7R on the console. I also guess that it will be a waiting game for them anyway, if the XB1 does have a hungry JRPG crowd on the XB1, Square would want a piece of that pie.

If this were a cash grab that gameplay trailer would not be as faithful to the original game as it is.

Also, if it were a cash grab it would have a traditional turn based battle systemand Kitase would never say the words "We are not going to remake a game so you only play for nostalgia.". What they're doing is pretty risky as they're being upfront about the fact that they're going to change things.

This sounds fantastic. My fears are definitely gone. It is good they aime to remake the entire game and then some. Im still not sure if i expect world exploration though... we will see.

They are excited about the project and are taking it seriously. You can tell.
There absolutely will be some form of large exploration in here, this partly explains why the data will be so big.
Whether it's an old school world map, or whether it's like XV with an expansive world is anyone's guess, but now I'm more inclined to think the latter, and it's gonna be glorious.

prwxv3

So are you saying a potential problem is on Square's hands?

That maybe true but releasing FF-Type 0 and FFXV, it would be pretty stupid not to release FF7R on the console. I also guess that it will be a waiting game for them anyway, if the XB1 does have a hungry JRPG crowd on the XB1, Square would want a piece of that pie.

That's the point the xbone does not have a JRPG crowd.

Also remember guys. A year ago Verendus said there was 2 FF7 games for PS4 coming out. This is most likely what he was talking about.

This is what he said:
Firstly, for a little clarification since I haven't said this before, but the FF7 project doesn't necessarily refer to just one game. The core of it will end up being a proper home console game and that's going to be the main thing, but it's basically a visit back to the FF7 world again, and there'll likely be a few things surrounding that. A large part of their discussion is likely surrounding this point.

It may not necessarily just be games, but I don't know what it could be either. It's far too early to say and most of this stuff is in early planning stages, so I have no idea about the details for most of it. Nor am I always in a position to know.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142521175&postcount=2035

Top Bottom