• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

artsi

That world map doesn't make much sense, comparing it to the ingame map. While the old one we've seen matches it perfectly.

EDIT: I rotated the old map upside down, and was able to match Altissia + surrounding waters to the new (or prototype?) one.
Switch tabs between these two images and you see what I mean.

EDIT2: Never mind, this is an old map, look at my post below.

g3uKG1y.jpg

bVN6pDk.jpg

WTF is going on here, lol.

sappyday

Cqx4BceVIAAzxYS.jpg

Cqx30SXUEAAYzfE.jpg

Seems like a decent amount of Insomnia will be explorable. At least it won't be just the courtyard :p

edit: actually some of this shit is really old. It has the 2013 hud.

artsi

I really think the clay model of world map we see here is an early prototype, while the one we've seen until now is the actual one in the game. I can't place any ingame locations / maps to it.

Basically at some point they threw everything except Altissia (and some other parts) to trash and made a new one.

In the actual map Insomnia is in the top right corner, and all ingame maps we've seen so far match it.
In the prototype version Altissia was located right next to it's current position.

You can also see how they expanded the table to fit more land to the map.

JBwB

What the hell is going on with that new world map lol.

It's likely that the starting area (Lucis / 3 regions) is to the north of that large landmass.

artsi

What the hell is going on with that new world map lol.

I'm going to assume that the starting area (Lucis / 3 regions) is to the north of that large landmass.

It's old, not new, look my post :p
Even the table is the same (stain in lower left corner) lol

They started with that, then expanded it to the one we've been looking at for a long time. More land mass, more detail, Insomnia got added and Altissia moved places.

sappyday

So yea some of these images are old then. First time we're seeing it but for some reason Square is using these images now. I guess to showcase Luminous when it was at its best? Hopefully those towns are in it. That chapel looking one in the second image reminds of that train station area that was under development. The one where they were demonstrating it through the pov of a cat. We always assumed it was Lestallum but Lestallum doesn't have a train station as far as we know.

just search up final fantasy XV cat cam on YouTube to see what I'm talking about.

Edit: looks like I'm not the only one who was reminded of the cat video

JBwB

It's old, not new, look my post :p
Even the table is the same (stain in lower left corner) lol

They started with that, then expanded it to the one we've been looking at for a long time. More land mass, more detail, Insomnia got added and Altissia moved places.

How are you certain that the map we've been looking at this whole time is the final map? That other map seems perfectly viable. The only thing that's missing is the starting landmass.

Both maps are pretty damn large so I don't mind either way lol.

I really think the clay model of world map we see here is an early prototype, while the one we've seen until now is the actual one in the game. I can't place any ingame locations / maps to it.

Basically at some point they threw everything except Altissia (and some other parts) to trash and made a new one.

In the actual map Insomnia is in the top right corner, and all ingame maps we've seen so far match it.
In the prototype version Altissia was located right next to it's current position.

You can also see how they expanded the table to fit more land to the map.

Seems odd to add continental mass such that it extends beyond the map. I wonder how that'll work once you have access to flying.

sappyday

How are you certain that the map we've been looking at this whole time is the final map? That other map seems perfectly viable. The only thing that's missing is the starting landmass.

Pretty obvious with the fact that Altissia is near insomnia which we know isn't the case.

artsi

How are you certain that the map we've been looking at this whole time is the final map? That other map seems perfectly viable. The only thing it's missing is the starting landmass.

Because all the ingame maps + locations we've seen match this one.

None of them match the one presented today, which is also a lot less detailed.

And I mean, just look at it, which one looks more finished? :p

Seems odd to add continental mass such that it extends beyond the map. I wonder how that'll work once you have access to flying.

I think it will be normally within map boundaries in the game, but they just had to extend the table while building the clay version.
Rest of it is probably just sea in the game.

AngryNeox

Neo Member
Because all the ingame maps + locations we've seen match this one.

None of them match the one presented today, which is also a lot less detailed.

And I mean, just look at it, which one looks more finished? :p

I think it will be normally within map boundaries in the game, but they just had to extend the table while building the clay version.
Rest of it is probably just sea in the game.
The newer of the two is kinda outdated too. They removed some landmass south-east as seen here. After that it seems like they moved the regions even further away from each other (or it simply isn't visible on the map).

artsi

The newer of the two is kinda outdated too. They removed some landmass south-east as seen here. After that it seems like they moved the regions even further away from each other (or it simply isn't visible on the map).

Yeah, generally it's the same, but they have made some changes and adjusted the scale somewhat transferring it to the actual game.
The landmasses between north and south are also divided by water now.

JBwB

Ah... I completely forgot about those screens -.-

Yeah the full map we've been looking at all this time is definitely the final one.

artsi

I just noticed the regions are separated by color here, I marked all the ones we haven't seen yet.

There's also a few pixels of a violet one (bottom center) I didn't bother to mark, lol.

0GpzqfG.jpg

After those slides, Square better pull some special tricks to make the console version look at least on par with Episode Duscae.

It would be a crime to release such amazing enviroments with that crap looking image quality.

Or.... for the sake of the art, they should consider a PC (Steam) release.

I said after Duscae, this game would be DAY ONE, but poor image quality, poor performance just kills the mood.

The delay and all the media around this has me thinking the overall quality is going to be a bit suspect.

It bums me out but I just cancelled my pre-order for it on PSN. : /

Ydelnae

So there are only two massive cities, neither of them is the opposing empire.

I think that only Altissia and Insomnia are marked/modeled in that map, because we know of the existence of at least one big city that even if it's not entirely explorable, it would still show up in a map.

wmlk

Man, somehow I really prefer the look of the prototype stuff. Must be because it was before things got scaled down. Seeing areas of Insomnia that we hadn't seen until now hurts.

Auctopus

Why is it banned from Neogaf? Generally, why are certain sites banned on Gaf? :/

Multiple reasons...

- Suspect Javascript (I.e. Possible Malware)
- Site is constantly wrong/makes up news stories.
- Site owners have had some sort of run in with GAF in the past.
- Site has some sort of illegal association.

Tyaren

Multiple reasons...

- Suspect Javascript (I.e. Possible Malware)
- Site is constantly wrong/makes up news stories.
- Site owners have had some sort of run in with GAF in the past.
- Site has some sort of illegal association.

Okay. Is there a list of all banned sites?

Zoe

Also Noctis could really use a haircut of something. It's no longer 2006, the haircut that he's have is no longer inline with current male haircut fashion. Nyx's hairstyle is more up to date and looks smarter, and less generic shounen hero looking too.

I don't recall seeing any mullets last time I was in Japan.

Good lord is this game ugly. What's the point in having snazzy-looking main characters/car when anything after a 5m radius looks PS2-level?

TheTux

In the presentation the dude was playing with Cindy's underw.. swimsuit (so he said) to display the clothing shaders.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I got you covered man.

Thanks a lot guys, received some PMs in a matter of seconds after the post ;)

Top Bottom