• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

Dmax3901

Yeah, I always found that fan map comparison highly doubtful... ;)
The game world still seems to be very big, probably still bigger overall than GTA5's island but probably not bigger than The Witcher 3, especially after it's expansions.
The in-game map in your screenshot just depicts Lucis with it's regions of Insomnia, Leide, Duscae and Cleigne (seems you didn't visit this one in the Gamescom demo?) and that probably makes up about a third of the complete game world. But that is only my guess here. Beyond the ocean it goes of course on with with Accordo,Tenebrae, Solheim, Niflheim etc. And some places we don't know of yet. The developers said that we haven't seen more than half of the regions and cities yet that are in FFXV. So, there might be some cool and interesting stuff for us ahead. The more fantasy-inspired regions and cities are also said to be waiting near the end of the game.

Wow ok, that's actually pretty exciting to me. As long as they iron out as many kinks as possible.

Not to mention that literal size and perceived size are very different things. Where in GTA you can pretty much go anywhere anytime, it feels massive. But since most of your time with 15 was on car (i assume, please correct me if i'm wrong) on simple roads (not clogged interconnected roads like some areas of GTA) no less, it could very well feel like it was a smaller area.

It could very well be that the Density of witcher and GTA's worlds make them feel bigger and the design of FFXV's world makes it feel smaller. World designs are very different so the feeling of size is different.

This definitely could've had an affect. I was on foot for a few different sections but for the most part is was driving.

Yeah, after looking at those screenshots I'm definitely disappointed in how the game looks now. Definitely looks worse than it previously did in the Duscae demo. I thought the graphics wouldn't bother me before, but I think I'll wait for the PC version now.

Exentryk

...but I think I'll wait for the PC version now.

Hopefully there are no more delays, coz the sooner the console version is out, the sooner we can get the PC version. 60 fps fast paced aerial combat with modified controls should be fun. And if someone can mod warping outside of combat, then it'll be fun to explore too.

giphy.gif

Zemm

Everything about the characters is horrendous, from demos and trailers I've played or watched and impressions. I'm trying to think of a game with a worse set but I can't.

Mailbox

Everything about the characters is horrendous, from demos and trailers I've played or watched and impressions. I'm trying to think of a game with a worse set but I can't.

well... whats your issue with them? If you're gonna make blanket statements, please be more specific.

you need to play more games if you think these are the worst.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Well, what's your problem with them?

Dark_castle

Do you mean in terms of design or...?

In terms of actual character and personality, I thought it's actually pretty well-rounded and above average compared to most JRPG's. Sure you have the annoying, bad apples like Prompto, Iris and Cidney, but I thought everyone else ranges from inoffensive to tolerable to pretty alright.

wmlk

Noctis is a very refreshing protagonist in video games. He reacts to what's happening around him but from the very beginning he's even-keeled.

Dark_castle

Noctis is a very refreshing protagonist in video games. He reacts to what's happening around him but from the very beginning he's even-keeled.

I just wish he wasn't shy around women or something. Like jeez, you're the prince of a prestigious royal family, you've got good looks, it would make way sense in terms of his characterisation that he is at least decently comfortable around the ladies, as it's understandable that the he should be an attractive partner to have and thus would often fling with him. Not saying he has to be a playboy, manwhore or anything, but I'm just really tired of JRPG protagonists always being embarrassed or awkward around girls. Like c'mon!

Also Noctis could really use a haircut of something. It's no longer 2006, the haircut that he's have is no longer inline with current male haircut fashion. Nyx's hairstyle is more up to date and looks smarter, and less generic shounen hero looking too.

Mailbox

I just wish he wasn't shy around women or something. Like jeez, you're the prince of a prestigious royal family, you've got good looks, it would make way sense in terms of his characterisation that he is at least decently comfortable around the ladies, as it's understandable that the he should be an attractive partner to have and thus would often fling with him. Not saying he has to be a playboy, manwhore or anything, but I'm just really tired of JRPG protagonists always being embarrassed or awkward around girls. Like c'mon!

Also Noctis could really use a haircut of something. It's no longer 2006, the haircut that he's have is no longer inline with current male haircut fashion. Nyx's hairstyle is more up to date and looks smarter, and less generic shounen hero looking too.

He doesn't seem all that shy around Cindy or Iris. It just seems like he's a bit awkward and shy about the topic of Luna (which makes sense all things considered).

wmlk

When he gets older he sharpens up a bit. Hope we get to see a lot of that look in the game.

artsi

There's a better image that showcases exactly how much of the land is the start area. The north west side of the map is definitely not in the starter area.

Pn6w1pg.jpg

Better forget any cross-game map comparisons that were made before any of actual information (except rough m2 estimations) were available, comparing to Episode Duscae area makes more sense. You can fit pretty damn many of them here.

One thing I'll say about that hilarious Dualshockers comparison is that in the areas shown in this build a good chunk of that map is playable, as you've all been discussing here, but an awful lot of it is inaccessible - mountains that you can't climb, sheer cliff edges, etc.

You might be able to fly above them when the car can fly, but I imagine it's unlikely you can land on them - when playing and twisting the camera around atop these ledges seemed devoid of detail of the kind the areas you actually explore has. Plus, hasn't Tabata said in the past you'll only be able to land on roads? If there's no roads atop these ledges (and it sure didn't seem like there would be) they'll just be landmasses you fly over.

This isn't about shitting on the game, as I'm more interested in a dense, quality world anyway. It's also about tempering expectations, because I think a theme with FF15 is people getting themselves excited for something that isn't necessarily there. But people keep throwing this map around like every inch of it will be able to be explored, but it's pretty plain from the 5 hours I've played and from everything else I've seen that FF15 won't be that kind of game unless it takes a serious turn later on. GTA and The Witcher are bad comparisons in this regard because other than a few buildings they are both 'truly' open with every square inch of their map is more or less visitable. Even in these early stages of the game for FF15 vast swathes of land that appear on the map are ultimately just window dressing, places you can't actually go, which makes the size of the world thing a little bit moot.

I'm more interested in how much there is to do rather than some arbitrary measure of size, tbh.

Dark_castle

He doesn't seem all that shy around Cindy or Iris. It just seems like he's a bit awkward and shy about the topic of Luna (which makes sense all things considered).

But he is. When turning down Iris's casual/semi-kidding remarks of them strolling around Lestallum as a date, he couldn't even look her in the eyes and do it in a more gentleman way, as opposed to what he did, which is of course turn his back from her and swing his hand signalling his disinterest in her.

Around Cidney, it's basically Noctis not even giving a single fuck about her, only Prompto and Gladio did. I can understand being apathy, but he's clearly, utterly uninterested in her, not even as a potential mating partner, but as a friend. Noctis is also uninterested in talking about Luna when asked, he's really yet another JRPG male protagonist who has no interest in girls.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
But he is. When turning down Iris's casual/semi-kidding remarks of them strolling around Lestallum as a date, he couldn't even look her in the eyes and do it in a more gentleman way, as opposed to what he did, which is of course turn his back from her and swing his hand signalling his disinterest in her.

Around Cidney, it's basically Noctis not even giving a single fuck about her, only Prompto and Gladio did. I can understand being apathy, but he's clearly, utterly uninterested in her, not even as a potential mating partner, but as a friend. Noctis is also uninterested in talking about Luna when asked, he's really yet another JRPG male protagonist who has no interest in girls.
I could have told you Noctis was a disaffected rich kid with no zeal for girls in 2006.

He's Squall with a trust fund.

silva1991

Not the best comparison as not only is X a smaller world but that game has horrible pop up (especially of monsters) and plenty of slowdown issues. The aesthetics are saved by some very creative designs.

Also, this is an intro area we are seeing. A more apt comparison would be a valley area or one with more rivers and natural features.
You don't even know the actual size of XV map to claim it's bigger than XBX.

I doubt XV will be half as big and the fact that Wiiu is generation weaker than the PS4 makes the current XV graphics looks embarrassing next to XBX environment visuals.

Mailbox

On the first point, it just seems like he sees her as a younger sister type. Just playing along and doing whatever and not really caring. He's definitely not shy around her, maybe slightly embarrassed feeling from the writing.

As for Luna, he is interested when Iris mentions her, and he always diverts conversation surrounding Luna. He isn't just being silent and not caring he's just doesn't wanna overtly share (it seems).

As for Cindy, sure i see you're point. But he clues in on things the others are insinuating when Gladio is teasing Prompto, so at least he's not oblivious to the idea that at least the others are into Cindy.

I could have told you Noctis was a disaffected rich kid with no zeal for girls in 2006.

He's Squall with a trust fund.

Whatever.

HeelPower

Are you crazy? X is around three times the map size of Witcher 3 combined pre-dlc (Novigrad+Skellige), which is already huge. X is near Just Cause 2 levels of map size.

If there is one thing X isn't is small.

There is absolutely no way this is accurate.I am gonna guess you havent played TW3(or havent played enough of it relative to XCX)

One thing I'll say about that hilarious Dualshockers comparison is that in the areas shown in this build a good chunk of that map is playable, as you've all been discussing here, but an awful lot of it is inaccessible - mountains that you can't climb, sheer cliff edges, etc.

You might be able to fly above them when the car can fly, but I imagine it's unlikely you can land on them - when playing and twisting the camera around atop these ledges seemed devoid of detail of the kind the areas you actually explore has. Plus, hasn't Tabata said in the past you'll only be able to land on roads? If there's no roads atop these ledges (and it sure didn't seem like there would be) they'll just be landmasses you fly over.

This isn't about shitting on the game, as I'm more interested in a dense, quality world anyway. It's also about tempering expectations, because I think a theme with FF15 is people getting themselves excited for something that isn't necessarily there. But people keep throwing this map around like every inch of it will be able to be explored, but it's pretty plain from the 5 hours I've played and from everything else I've seen that FF15 won't be that kind of game unless it takes a serious turn later on. GTA and The Witcher are bad comparisons in this regard because other than a few buildings they are both 'truly' open with every square inch of their map is more or less visitable. Even in these early stages of the game for FF15 vast swathes of land that appear on the map are ultimately just window dressing, places you can't actually go, which makes the size of the world thing a little bit moot.

I'm more interested in how much there is to do rather than some arbitrary measure of size, tbh.

Thanks for clarifying. While I prefer to have the possibility of accessibility, as long as it is done in somewhat unintrusive way here I don't mind. There was basically nothing interesting to do in large areas of the map in Witcher 3 and more so in GTA V, even if having the freedom to go there was definitely a plus. On the other hand, I found the sense of scale in this game, well from Duscae at least, was better than in either of those games.

Dark_castle

New thread worthy?

During a recent interview with Famitsu, Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata answered a few questions about the upcoming RPG and talked a bit about how it won’t entirely be an open-world title.

Famitsu got to play up to chapter 3 of Final Fantasy XV and asked Tabata about how far into the entire game is that.

“I believe it covers about 15% or so. The chapters go from 0 to 15,” answered Tabata.

With all the vast content in mind from just the first three chapters alone, Famitsu asks if it’ll be like that from the start up until the very last chapter.

“The entire game structure for Final Fantasy XV consists of both open-world and linear parts,” said Tabata. “The first half keeps going as an open-world, but the story in the second half’s is led by a linear path. That way, you won’t get bored of an open-world as the rest of the game gets tightened up, so we made it in a way that you’ll also get to advance through it as you have in conventional Final Fantasy games. If you play through the first half and only the main route of the second half, I believe the estimated play-time sits at around 40 to 50 hours.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/26/final-fantasy-xv-open-world-first-half-second-half-linear/

Consider me intrigued. Previous FF usually starts off linear and then becomes more and more open as the game progresses, but XV seems to do the opposite.

Dualshockers map is clearly hyperbole. We get it. I also understand we might not be able to explore every crevice of the universe. But y'all need to relax with these weak comparisons. Dare y'all to start posting the best screenshots of each game and see what comes out on top. Best bullshot wins, leggo

Sidenote: Too many of y'all are sleeping on the chocobo traversal. That's XV's off-road version of a Jeep right there

EDIT: Yea that seems thread worthy, FFXV will have 15 CH, Splinters into older FF

artsi

New thread worthy?

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/26/final-fantasy-xv-open-world-first-half-second-half-linear/

Consider me intrigued. Previous FF usually starts off linear and then becomes more and more open as the game progresses, but XV seems to do the opposite.

As people compare to Witcher 3 a lot, remember how it also gets a lot tighter (regarding storyline) in the end after a certain spot. You don't run around villages doing small tasks anymore, but focus on one big thing.

Doesn't necessarily mean that you can't do sidequests / other open world stuff after 50% of the game.

Tyaren

More importantly, that landscape they are in looks completely new. It is not Duscae (different trees) and it is not the swampy area.

Ydelnae

I think those cities are Solheim (white and blue houses reminds me of Greek islands and Costa Del Sol) and the Empire Citadel.

They say that they are concepts, though. They might not be in the game.

Tyaren

Some new areas (maybe)
Cqx0pf9UAAAUZoo.jpg

Cqx0lgHUsAAvO_F.jpg

One is clearly inspired by Greek towns like Santorini...

Santorini-Greece-2-1.jpg

The other one is a literal copy of Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan:

a235f493997f72dd34f68bbeb34a05e8ecc0abb0_vittorio-emanuele-galleria.jpeg

Some of the other concepts look way too good to be in the game in it's current state...Maybe in FFXV-II on PS5/Scorpio. ;)

artsi

Remember they're primarily demoing Luminous technology at CEDEC, so those locations might not relate to the game at all.

But would be cool if they did, of course.

sappyday

Remember they're primarily demoing Luminous technology at CEDEC, so those locations might not relate to the game at all.

But would be cool if they did, of course.

It seems all this is related to the game. Although the pictures with the new towns have "prototype" at the bottom so maybe it's not in.

If it is though then yea they are for sure keeping the game under wraps.

Tyaren

Oookay, time to leave these threads. I've seen enough after the gamescom build. This time for real
I SWEAR

I literally just realized with your post that I am actually getting spoiled the couple of towns and places we didn't know of and that were meant to surprise me during the game. D:

Top Bottom