• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

Majine

Banned
I'm more interested to hear how Mario+Rabbids is doing, as that is a route I'd rather third parties go on Switch than simply port games.

oti

Banned
Amazon Germany doesn't even have a date for more Switch copies lol. It's just "unavailable at this moment".

tolkir

There are stock issues at some big stores in Spain too. Fnac or Amazon.

Other places have plenty: Mediamarkt or Carrefour.

Mory Dunz

I'm more interested to hear how Mario+Rabbids is doing, as that is a route I'd rather third parties go on Switch than simply port games.

how bout nah.

day one ports are important.
If FF7R Episode 1/352 days came to Switch I wouldn't need to get a PS4
Unless it came to PC too....

EA sent it out to die. It wasn't even well stocked at major retailers like supermarkets or Amazon.

Might also explain why some retailers - despite having shelves dedicated to Switch - were only advertising the game for release on PS4 and One. Might check to see whether I can even find a copy in-store this week.

my local asda had a shelf of fifa at the front of the store and the 2 that were more prominent were ps4 and switch copies.

If EA did undersupply copies (rather than sales being an indication of actual market demand for FIFA 18 on Switch), as evidenced by GAME limiting stock and Amazon, well, not having anything to sell, then I feel for the producer on the game.

There was an interview with the producer of the game and he was frank in saying that they had to pick and choose what to include in what is a first iteration of a bespoke version of the game before it launched in September, and that how much the team can dedicate to future versions of the game depends on its sales performance:

Lazarescu said:
"The list of features to include is never-ending," Lazarescu concludes. "With FIFA, you have a fixed amount of time every year. So you have to make the best choices really fast to deliver the best thing possible. Overall, for a first year, this is an incredible game and it allows us to build on it. That was the main goal besides doing a very fun, responsive and immersive game that feels like a FIFA. We don't want to do a one-off. We want to do something that we can build on.

Also worth noting:

Although EA has other games for the console in the works, this is by far its biggest bet, and its success or failure may go on to dictate its ongoing support.

But its commercial performance will matter most to the development team.Lazarescu calls this a "foundation year" and lists off numerous things he and his team hope to include in future iterations. That will only happen if the game succeeds. The franchise received just one entry on Wii U due to its under-performance. Whereas on Vita - the previous 'best portable FIFA ever' - the lukewarm reception meant the game wasn't given much time and effort beyond the initial 2012 release [indeed, subsequent Vita games simply boasted an updated roster and little else].

Now, if EA really did send this one out to die at retail then it seems like the publisher didn't give the development team a fair chance. Will be interesting to see how it performs globally - as someone else mentioned it's been charting much higher in other European markets on Amazon.

Shiggy

Amazon Germany doesn't even have a date for more Switch copies lol. It's just "unavailable at this moment".

The game's not out on Switch yet in Germany. There was some delay - release is this Friday now. Let's see how much stock will be shipped.

ksamedi

I suspect the stock issue is because of the cart manufacturing limitation. I dont think its the fault of EA. Nintendo underestimated software sales.

You want to know how Mario+Rabbids sold on the Switch vs the xbone and PS4? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think I can come up with a pretty good estimate

Roufianos

How is Mario + Rabbids a good indicator for how third party games will sell? It's a Mario game.

hohoXD123

I suspect given the nature of the hardware, the Switch should have a significant proportion of games sold digitally. I know I bought FIFA through eshop anyway.

Taker666

Looks like they limited the release across Europe..as the Switch version is currently out of stock at Amazon Germany, Spain and Italy.

It's in stock at Amazon France and is currently at 10 in the charts, ahead of both Xbox versions at least (although PS4 and PS3 versions are dominating)..

chashodges

Neo Member
I didn't see it in any supermarkets over the weekend. I assume places like Game stocked it readily, but I wasn't up for paying their usual markup so was trying to save a few quid.

Chessr

Where i Work in Denmark (a PS4 country) we got 350 PS4 copies
6 X1 copies
3 switch copies
10 PS3

Only the PS4 games is at display.
Er sold 1 PS3 copy and 1 X1 i think.
And some 100s PS4
Dont think anyone bought it for switch

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I think they would be happy with around 10k copies sold so far. I can't imagine the Switch port would have added a lot of expense and they are building a future fanbase.

IDK whats EA's treshold for success. Do we know how much the Vita and Wii U versions sold?

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
How ? Is Fifa selling one million copies during the first week in the UK ?

Edit: 1.1 million last year

Yup, give or take. Of course the continued uptake of digital (and the digital-exclusive 'Icon Edition' this year) skews things a bit but I'd say a million copies is a safe bet.

I suspect given the nature of the hardware, the Switch should have a significant proportion of games sold digitally. I know I bought FIFA through eshop anyway.

I dunno I know myself and at least three others who didn't, that suggests a hard 25% cap on digital for the switch across multiple titles.

Edit: sorry rechecked my math, we're looking at a 20% cap hmm.

That would mean that Amazon has an especially and unrealistic high share of FIFA for Switch sales.

I said if the game was printed heavily *and* in high demand. i.e., all copies of the game printed selling out across all retailers, it still wouldn't exceed 5% of all copies sold.

It's a install base-driven game in a price sensitive market, and Switch hardware sales are weaker in the UK relative to other markets in Europe, while Xbox One is much stronger in the UK relative to other markets in Europe.

Stygr

Banned
And half of those 1% are the SwitchGAF members in the OT :p

Is FIFA even big outside of EU and some Asian countries?

FIFA is big everywhere, EU, Asia, North Africa and South America.
FIFA is the best selling sport series every year
Outselling the yearly NBA, Madden and NFL if we count worldwide sales.
Maybe in NA, NBA and Madden are outselling FIFA, only there.

Top Bottom