• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

fortunato

Banned
  1. Why are people surprised?
  2. The percentage doesn't mean much per se.

Nobody is buying a Switch for FIFA. And FIFA audience is already on PS4 and Xbox One. The real test will be to see whether the game can sell respectable numbers over time; that is, if Switch is bought by people that might also be interested in FIFA. FIFA for Switch will never sell as well as Sony and Microsoft counterpart, which are already selling a huge amount of copies, that is why the low share on Switch. EA doesn't expect FIFA for Switch to sell millions, especially with the first entry.

Zedark

Hate to be that "but digital" guy, but:
gamesindustry.biz. said:
Switch's digital store has also proved to be popular, so its sales of FIFA may be higher than the physical charts indicate.
Doesn't make it go from low to high, or even to ok per se, but it seems that digital was good. Maybe also a sign that availability wasn't quite as good?

Plum

From the other sales thread:

Switch's digital store has also proved to be popular, so its sales of FIFA may be higher than the physical charts indicate.

So it won't be as bad as 1%. Maybe 1.5% or even 2%!

EDIT: And beaten!

oti

Banned
Lego Worlds has sold best on Switch? It's been out for just a couple of weeks.

The game's not out on Switch yet in Germany. There was some delay - release is this Friday now. Let's see how much stock will be shipped.

How odd.

degoose

Neo Member
I have a copy coming in the post but when i went into GAME i couldn't find a copy anywhere. Loads of ps4 and xbox copies but no switch ones. Also looking online not that many online stores had it in stock or even listed. Not sure if this is EA's fault or stores thinking it won't sell but portable FIFA and FUT was a big pull for me.

-shadow-

Curious how the sales move going forward is what I'm most interested in. If it ends up being evergreen, that'd be terrific.

Hate to be that "but digital" guy,
Trade in deals for FIFA are always garbage, might aswell never trade it in. Those three €/£3 that you'd get back ain't worth the effort.

18-Volt

What's weird is all those people who bought Pokkén and Rabbids in UK didn't buy Fifa. I know some Switch owners myself and every one of them was planning to get Fifa. Including me. This is the portable soccer game everyones been waiting for.

Who are those people who bought Pokkén but not Fifa? What kind of audience is that?

Kyoufu

What's weird is all those people who bought Pokkén and Rabbids in UK didn't buy Fifa. I know some Switch owners myself and every one of them was planning to get Fifa. Including me. This is the portable soccer game everyones been waiting for.

Who are those people who bought Pokkén but not Fifa? What kind of audience is that?

One game is a Pokemon fighting game.

The other is a sports game.

?????

Trade in deals for FIFA are always garbage, might aswell never trade it in. Those three €/£3 that you'd get back ain't worth the effort.

It's not about trade-in. Digital is overpriced as hell because you can get physical console games for €55-60 at launch, digital is €70.

Kareha

To be fair the UK has never been huge for Nintendo, even back when I was a kid at school it was all Sega Master Systems and Megadrives, plus Commodore Amigas. The only person I knew who had a Nintendo console at the time was my younger cousin who had a NES. I had a Megadrive at the time and the only way I got to play on a SNES was when my brother came home from London.

bombshell

Where i Work in Denmark (a PS4 country) we got 350 PS4 copies
6 X1 copies
3 switch copies
10 PS3

Only the PS4 games is at display.
Er sold 1 PS3 copy and 1 X1 i think.
And some 100s PS4
Dont think anyone bought it for switch

Xbox One X will turn things around in Denmark for sure.

Audioboxer

FIFA is a game for playing with friends and if your friends aren't buying it on Switch, then no one is buying it on Switch.

18-Volt

?????

Switch doesn't have many games atm. People have limited choices. Pokkén one of them and Fifa is another. A lot of people chose Pokkén over Fifa. In a country like UK. That baffles me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

?????
I don't that's entirely true in the first place. 10-20k is the usual first week sales for most major switch games in UK. If they did outsell it it'd only be by a few thousand.

Kyoufu

Switch doesn't have many games atm. People have limited choices. Pokkén one of them and Fifa is another. A lots of people chose Pokkén over Fifa. In a country like UK. That baffles me.

I don't know why that baffles you. Pokken won because it's a game based on Pokemon, which is what the Nintendo demographic likes and has liked for decades. FIFA's demographic is on the PS4 and Xbox systems.

samar11

Its a third party game on a nintendo console, go figure. If your surprised then you have been living under a rock lol

JoeInky

Is it really that hard to comprehend?

I have no interest in Fifa but bought pokken and mario + rabbids.

The last fifa game I owned was for the SNES, and I don't think I even played it, sports games are generally pretty boring to me.

Game probably would have done worse if they'd announced that you can't play with friends before it was released, they played that one close to the chest.

Hate to be that "but digital" guy, but:

Doesn't make it go from low to high, or even to ok per se, but it seems that digital was good. Maybe also a sign that availability wasn't quite as good?

From the other sales thread:

So it won't be as bad as 1%. Maybe 1.5% or even 2%!

EDIT: And beaten!

Well, both of these posts overlook the digital sales on PS4/One, surely? It could be worse than 1%.

Top Bottom