• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 18 on Switch doesn't allow you to play online with friends

The Hermit

This is fucked up, now people have their hands on the Switch version, it appears theres no option to play matches with your friends online

What possible reason could there be for this fundamental option to not be included? Despite Nintendo's poor online system, multiple games on Switch allow this option, plus it was an option on the Wii U version of Fifa

Not sure i'll be keeping my copy now, might just end up sending it back

That's really telling.

Hopefully, if a lot of people complaint, they release a patch

Oregano

I think the going reason is so that it can only be a gaming platform, and so that indie games aren't sabotaged by classic, 20-year old Nintendo titles. Because if the VC comes out, no one cares about indie releases anymore. And if there were apps to watch Netflix shows, people would stop buying games.

I think that reasoning makes more sense for VC than Apps. Hamster is definitely benefitting from lack of VC.

Bazry

The producer of the game literally said that they had to pick features to include in the first iteration before launch in September, and that in order to evolve from this first iteration it has to sell well enough for EA to let the team do more than just a roster update.

I don't see online play with a friend as a feature though, I see it was a fundamental necessity

gtj1092

Do people even have a solid connection to the internet when traveling. I know the train advertises free WiFi but it's usually worse than LTE.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol what a joke...playing online with friends is huge. What on earth were they thinking?

at least you can actually download and play the game unlike us on PC.

It's bad enough that this feature is missing, but the fact that nobody was able to determine this before people started buying the game is just downright devious. If they had given reviewers a Switch copy then this would have been shared days ago.

Frankly EA seemed to have received a fair bit of respect and good will from how good this port was looking, but this just threw it all out the window. Even if they had to rush and couldn't get it working before release the fact that they didn't tell anyone is the big issue here.

jariw

If they want this feature, then People should not purchase until this is a confirmed plan with a due date...

Absolutely. And they should let EA and Nintendo know. So strange, when Minecraft had play-with-friends support many months ago.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What are you talking about?

Every Switch online game allows you to play with Friends except FIFA 18.

Personally, I've got Minecraft, Ultra SF II, Mario Kart 8 DX and Splatoon 2 and they all allow online play with Friends.

MK 8 DX is limited, Splatoon 2 needs a mobile app for matchmaking and Minecraft's cross play was delayed and I think you couldn't send an invite at least at launch, so there are obvious issues with the online matching and party on Switch. As in it's not a straight forward implementation and requires additional efforts on the developer's side.

Edit: the common denominator seems to be that's not easy to send an invite to a friend to play together.

Symtendo

I’d already (reluctantly) decided I wasn’t going to get FIFA18 when I found out The Journey 2 wasn’t in, which, I felt was a bit of a kick in the teeth for what is essentially cutscenes and I assume some extra programming to get the results that matter to the story.

This however is ridiculous, and if EA did actively make this decision then in my eyes, it’s nothing more than a half arsed effort purely designed to give people an easy excuse not to buy the Switch version so they can blame the lack of poor sales and pull support all together.

Whichever way, both companies need to say something and they need to do it quickly!

MK 8 DX is limited, Splatoon 2 needs a mobile app for matchmaking and Minecraft's cross play was delayed and I think you couldn't send an invite at least at launch, so there are obvious issues with the online matching and party on Switch. As in it's not a straight forward implementation and requires additional efforts on the developer's side.

Does NBA2k18 do it the same as the other versions? I think that would be the closest analog, considering the type of game, company and timing.

Even if the underlying reason for this is Nintendo's infrastructure, the fact that EA held this information back is incredibly scummy.

Do people even have a solid connection to the internet when traveling. I know the train advertises free WiFi but it's usually worse than LTE.
A lot of people also play at home, you know. Either docked or portable/good wifi.

No reason to not criticize this. Even if you wouldn't use it yourself.

I remember wanting to play MK8 with two friends online. Came out disappointed. Same with Splatoon 2. And now FIFA.
Playing with friends is such a standard feature, that I keep forgetting what a hassle it is everytime I'm buying a Switch game with online features. It just doesn't pop up in my head that I can play with randoms, but not with friends. Just dumb. No excuses. It's 2000-fucking-17, Nintendo...

Yes, Nintendo's online infrastructure sucks — and they should be criticized for it — but the big issue here to me is EA's lack of clarification. This is pretty vital information to disclose before customers purchase the game.

notaskwid

Its a design decision, they want you yo go to your friends house and bring the switch with you.
You're not a game designer, don't criticize what you don't understand. Less is more
/Splatoon's multiplayer modes

I heard NBA 2K18 was the same. No playing with friends is embarassing. EA and others need to have that shit in regardless of Nintendo's infrastructure. Your product isn't appealing in the slightest if you don't include this stuff.

There's two issues here. First is EA not disclosing this before launch, and seemingly not sorting out a solution for it. Second issue is Nintendo refusing to give their 2017 gaming system an OS level friend invite system. Stupidity all round.

It's also missing all the new Ultimate Team features, the Premier League, FA Cup, La Liga and MLS licensing and has a two year old version of career mode. Yep, it's a 'no buy' for me.

Now I understand why they embargoed the reviews til now. Gave EA the benefit of the doubt but this is just fucking insane. Patch this shit immediately.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's also missing all the new Ultimate Team features, the Premier League, FA Cup, La Liga and MLS licensing and has a two year old version of career mode. Yep, it's a 'no buy' for me.

That's not true.

And the career mode is just lacking the new cutscenes for transfers.

That's not true.

And the career mode is just lacking the new cutscenes.

This is all straight from the Nintendo Life review, perhaps I misphrased it, what I mean is the graphics package which gives the official Premier League etc. licensing.

And the same review says that the career mode objectives from last year are missing as well.

JMY86

I would personally never buy a multi-platform game for my Switch or any Nintendo platform really and especially not one I intended to play multiplayer. I don't know if this was simply cut or a design choice to get people together to play with friends. It seemed obvious from the beginning that the Switch version was probably going to be the worst version of this game and there are frankly much better versions of this game available if you are able to play on Xbox or Playstation but this does seem like complete incompetence/stupidity on someone's part and it will hopefully be patched in.

FeD.nL

The switch version also doesn’t have the EA account stuff where you unlock celebrations/transfer list sizes etc. It seems that all the celebrations and max tranfer list sizes are unlocked from the start.

Edit: that’s positive in my book

boiled goose

good with gravy
I partially blame Nintendo.

Online features such as this should be done at a universal os level, instead of having to be implemented on a per game basis.

Nintendo still hasn't figured online out 5 systems in.

One of the main reasons I haven't bought a Switch.

What issue do you have with playing 2 friends at MK8D online?
Well, I can play with two friends, but it will be just them and some AI. Why can't I jump online with my friends and the rest of the spots filled up with randoms? Ffs, PS2 games had that option.

Hmm, this I don't know, I will check later. Where from did you take the licensing thing?

I just edited my previous post to reflect what I meant better, apologies that it was misconstrued. Premier League teams etc. are definitely in the game, it's just missing the graphics packages and appears to be using 2-3 years old graphics for the matches.

DrWong

Edit: the common denominator seems to be that's not easy to send an invite to a friend to play together.

In Splatoon 2 in turf mode you can join friends in game. Same for Ligue and Salmon. The app is if you want to chat or send a notification, nobody use it for that.

No being able to join a friend in FIFA is bad though. Mmm... maybe I'll wait a bit before buying it then.

Well, I can play with two friends, but it will be just them and some AI. Why can't I jump online with my friends and the rest of the spots filled up with randoms? Ffs, PS2 games had that option.

? That feature was in the WiiU version. How would it not be on the Switch version?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In Splatoon 2 in turf mode you can join friends in game. Same for Ligue and Salmon. The app is if you want to chat or send a notification, nobody use it for that.

No being able to join a friend in FIFA is bad though. Mmm... maybe I'll wait a bit before buying it then.

This seems to be the differentiation. From what I can see, it seems to be easy to join friends in a lobby, but inviting friends, creating private matches, all these seem to need additional work.

Or the way FIFA works, you need to connect directly with your friend to play.

? That feature was in the WiiU version. How would it not be on the Switch version?

Because the Switch infrastructure works in a strange way. If I'm not wrong you could play with a friend on FIFA 13 on Wii U too.

dopan

Neo Member

Pretty sure the mobile app is not necessary for matchmaking in Splatoon 2. I joined a friends game and vice versa earlier this week without any of us touching the mobile app.

Edit: and beaten!

You can do exactly this since day 1. Just join your friends when they are in a regional or global game...

Bazry

You can join a room and have your friends join as well, if there isn't room they can watch until room is available for them

This seems to be the differentiation. From what I can see, it seems to be easy to join friends in a lobby, but inviting friends, creating private matches, all these seem to need additional work.

Or the way FIFA works, you need to connect directly with your friend to play.

In Splatoon you can just play league though? Make a party, join a match. Not sure what the issue is?

Nintendo needs to have all this shit at OS level and stop fucking wasting out time though. This is their 5th system with online. How is this still an issue.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pretty sure the mobile app is not necessary for matchmaking in Splatoon 2. I joined a friends game and vice versa earlier this week without any of us touching the mobile app.

Edit: and beaten!

Joining a common room is not the same thing. It's also how Minecraft works if I'm not mistaken (friends can join your world when they see it). Inviting a friend or connecting directly to a friend is the issue.

Rellik

Welcome to my world. I'm locked out of all online features in all EA games because EA force you to go through their own account system making that possible. They bypass PSN with that.

Top Bottom