• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 18 on Switch doesn't allow you to play online with friends

It's a regression from Wii U not because the Switch supports less features, but because, as others have mentioned, developers with limited time to get their Switch product out the door aren't going to build in the same workarounds for something that should be handled on a system level.

Do you have to sign in to Origin to play online on FIFA 18 Switch?

This is Nintendos fault more than EA. Nintendo is either not skilled enough to havens online or they refuse to. We have gone backwards from Wii U. Unacceptable.

Honestly nintendo should let Microsoft put Xbox live on the system and be done with it. You have to for Minecraft Switch.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U also had friends matching where you could drive around the city together (with voice chat) and then participate in races together.

Oregano

Is this a standard feature in other Switch games? I'd figure it's an issue with Nintendo's ridiculous online setup (only $20!)

Only one other game didn't have it and it was an indie launch game and it was updated to support it ages ago.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
By design. You can play with friends in both.

you can play 1 on 1 with a friend. you can't join a race with a friend. Unless your friend starts a race and you select them and say 'join'

it's fucking stupid.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I hope is just an oversight that can be easily patched and not a deeper structural problem with the game setup. Does the game support LAN?

So there is no co-op where me and a friend play against another random 2 players?

All I played last year was 2v2, it's a deal breaker if it doesn't have this especially at the price they are asking and already stripping the story mode out.

I know I've sounds crazy. I still honestly think the best solution is nintendo letting Microsoft put live on Switch. Let Microsoft handle online. We all know microsoft would do a good job. Strip away games with gold and a few other features And charge $40 to $50 a year. People will pay it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ridiculous. This needs to be fixed ASAP, shouldn’t be hard to add, they have the template with Wii U’s version.

duckroll

Ridiculous. This needs to be fixed ASAP, shouldn’t be hard to add, they have the template with Wii U’s version.

If it were so easy to replicate the WiiU's infrastructure on the Switch, I think there would be a lot of QoL updates already. That it is lagging behind so much in many areas (lack of apps, no VC, full online system still in beta) shows that Nintendo has opted to make major decisions which result in it being a reset in terms of OS concept rather than an evolution.

Very misleading for such a core and expected feature to have not been mentioned at any point in the build up to release, I'm sure this is going to lead to a lot of buyers feeling tricked at an expected feature not existing.
Perhaps it will lead to more caution in the future for Switch multi-platform releases to discover precisely the extent of the scale back rather than simply presuming core features are present.

EG piece raises the right points about why the online is lacking.

The conclusion isn't fair at all, though - why make a verdict (that the game is redundant) on the game based on your own playstyle? The Switch isn't a stationary console.

If I were only going to be playing it in the home, and online with friends, then yes, I would be disappointed, but maybe I'd contextualise that disappointment more instead of calling the game redundant.

tzare

is this true?
Because it is mindblowing that this still happens in 2017 if true

And it is Ea or nintendo's fault?

Taker666

If indie games can manage it..there's no excuse for Fifa not to.

Nintendo's online service may be weak and deserves slating for the stupid voice chat solution especially..... but when small studios with small budgets are able to have online play with friends, the blame for this specific issue would appear to land squarely on EA's shoulders.

EA are the ones who should be contacted.

Lynd7

Im also kinda surprised this is only coming to light now. Once it gets out there the sales for the Switch version are going to drop heaps. Then EA can pull support once again I guess..

m00h

Banned
I just don't believe that this is true. This can't be true. This is absolutely impossible!

Why the f--- should someone buy FIFA if you can't play online with friends? This is bullshit. I was praising the Switch up to this point, but if this is Nintendo's fault, then honestly... f--- them! If they can't adapt one of the most important multiplayer features to their online system, then they just don't deserve to survive on the free market.

As barebones as Nintendo's online is, only a launch indie game also had this issue and was patched. I am going to put the majority blame on EA not wanting to put in the effort required to be able to play against people on your friend's list.

ta155

To be fair I'm not sure why you'd buy the Switch version unless you wanted portable FIFA, in which case you'll likely spend plenty of time playing it without being connected to the internet.

It's certainly a bit of a bummer but not sure why it's considered a deal breaker. It's quite remarkable to have a football game that looks, plays and is as relatively full featured as this on a tablet.

Wil348

Lego Worlds had the same issue at launch but an in-game friend server browser was just patched in. Nintendo really needs to sort out their online though, easily the biggest issue the Switch has.

sneas78

Banned
To be fair I'm not sure why you'd buy the Switch version unless you wanted portable FIFA, in which case you'll likely spend plenty of time playing it without being connected to the internet.

It's certainly a bit of a bummer but not sure why it's considered a deal breaker. It's quite remarkable to have a football game that looks, plays and is as relatively full featured as this on a tablet.
I don’t know. I have my cellphone turn hotspot on and go. Jeeezz.

Ninja Dom

I just don't believe that this is true. This can't be true. This is absolutely impossible!

Why the f--- should someone buy FIFA if you can't play online with friends? This is bullshit. I was praising the Switch up to this point, but if this is Nintendo's fault, then honestly... f--- them! If they can't adapt one of the most important multiplayer features to their online system, then they just don't deserve to survive on the free market.

What are you talking about?

Every Switch online game allows you to play with Friends except FIFA 18.

Personally, I’ve got Minecraft, Ultra SF II, Mario Kart 8 DX and Splatoon 2 and they all allow online play with Friends.

m00h

Banned
What are you talking about?

Every Switch online game allows you to play with Friends except FIFA 18.

Personally, I’ve got Minecraft, Ultra SF II, Mario Kart 8 DX and Splatoon 2 and they all allow online play with Friends.

Ok, I didn't knew that, thanks for the info. In that case it looks like it's EA's fault. F--- EA.

Again.

Is this for the same reason we don’t have the Minecraft cross network play in yet.

Maybe the Nintendo API doesn’t let them hook in their own services like a Microsoft or EA account to tie those together just yet.

Maybe it does actually if it has Ultimate Team. Disregard

Brofield

Looks like they found their excuse not to give support to Nintendo in the future :/

Despite this, I hope others still buy this. I'm just not a sports fan of any medium. I really want to get Fe though, that looks fun

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If it were so easy to replicate the WiiU's infrastructure on the Switch, I think there would be a lot of QoL updates already. That it is lagging behind so much in many areas (lack of apps, no VC, full online system still in beta) shows that Nintendo has opted to make major decisions which result in it being a reset in terms of OS concept rather than an evolution.
A software patch a la Fast RMX to add this feature has little to do with infrastructure. I mean they may not be able to copy paste the code they had for FIFA 13 based on infrastructure differences, but they surely can reuse most of the code.

Scrawnton

That makes zero sense. I remember when BF4 launched on PS4 and there was no way to squad up in the lobby and join a match with your friend that way. You had to join a match your friend was already in to play with them and 99% of the time you were put on the other team, which pretty much killed the game for me and my old BC2 squad. I really hope they fix this asap. EA can do some funky stuff sometimes.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thank god I didn't get it. This does not make any sense.

No wonder why EA has been many times named as the worst videogame company. They never treat their costumers well.
The PS4 and Xbox One versions support it, so i doubt this has much to do with EA in that regards (as in EA's policies). EA also contains of many different studios.

Oregano

Well it seems like lack of apps and no VC are deliberate choices and not because they are not ready. I don't know why they chose to do that though, Nintendo are stupid and weird.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well it seems like lack of apps and no VC are deliberate choices and not because they are not ready. I don't know why they chose to do that though, Nintendo are stupid and weird.

I think the going reason is so that it can only be a gaming platform, and so that indie games aren't sabotaged by classic, 20-year old Nintendo titles. Because if the VC comes out, no one cares about indie releases anymore. And if there were apps to watch Netflix shows, people would stop buying games.

Uuuh! Backlash of big proportion incoming! The average consumer might not get mad over dynamic resolution, 30 vs. 60 fps or minor stutter. But I guess they will absolutely recognise this as a huge shortcoming. Imagine thousands of early adopters trying to team up with friends online, oh my.

GokouD

Looks like they found their excuse not to give support to Nintendo in the future :/

Despite this, I hope others still buy this. I'm just not a sports fan of any medium. I really want to get Fe though, that looks fun

What's with the hidden Luigi?

test_account

XP-39C²
What's with the hidden Luigi?
Maybe its related to what Patric Söderlund (an EA executive) said that he named his son Luigi (middle name) because he was a big Nintendo fan, and then in relation to EA and Nintendo support.

While i don't need it i still cancled my preorder so i don't support this.
Wasnt this just known? And the release date is today, wouldnt the game already be shipped by now?

While i don't need it i still cancled my preorder so i don't support this.

The producer of the game literally said that they had to pick features to include in the first iteration before launch in September, and that in order to evolve from this first iteration it has to sell well enough for EA to let the team do more than just a roster update.

Wasnt this just known? And the release date is today, wouldnt the game already be shipped by now?

I don't actually have it preordered but i planned to pick it up digitally.

The producer of the game literally said that they had to pick features to include in the first iteration before launch in September, and that in order to evolve from this first iteration it has to sell well enough for EA to let the team do more than just a roster update.

Not my problem. I'll buy when it's in.

They didn't say what those features would be before release though, just shove it out the door and let people find out on their own... great stuff.

Top Bottom