• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa 18 on Switch doesn't allow you to play online with friends

iswasdoes

I'd already clicked download. I probably still would have but this is disappointing news to say the least. Hopefully it can be poatched in and the delay is something to do with nintendos (cr)app

Metalmarc

I dont mind not playing online, maybe they will patch it in

But to have all these featurs removed plus now this, should have been a lower price point

Note: Please note, due to stock limitations from the supplier we are unable to deliver any further orders of FIFA 18 - Nintendo Switch for release date. We expect to deliver orders placed today by October 13th, and will confirm an exact release date as soon as possible. If you've already placed an order for this product please check “My Orders” to confirm your expected delivery date.

Is EA sending this one out to die? Feel sorry for the producer who said market performance matters for his ability to build on this first iteration, if EA isn't committed to producing many boxed copies. That might explain why a retailer here was only advertising FIFA 18 as "out on PS4 and Xbox One on September 29".

(Wonder if FIFA shipping on 16GB game card has anything to do with it)

I mean I'm glad they got it running flawlessly and all with what they did but. You know.

Could've baked it a bit more to add in that online inviting eh?

You can't play a game against your friend online, unless you got unbelievably lucky in a random match

Wow that's amazingly poor!

I could almost understand that you couldn't be put in same team online, but really no matchmaking against friends? Surely that's gotta get patched in!

Kiraly

I don't wanna be that guy, but if all other platforms have a built in system to handle this, why would EA put the effort in for a workaround?

We're talking about a workaround for a platform that doesn't let you directly message a friend in 2017 from the system itself. It's pretty shitty of EA, but it's equally if not more shitty of Nintendo that owners are even placed in this predicament.

That's really shitty. If this is a deliberate cut, it should have been made very clear by EA (unless it was clarified, though I'm certainly not aware of it). This is not how you foster an audience on a new device.

I don't wanna be that guy, but if all other platforms have a built in system to handle this, why would EA put the effort in for a workaround?

We're talking about a workaround for a platform that doesn't let you directly message a friend in 2017 from the system itself. It's pretty shitty of EA, but it's equally if not more shitty of Nintendo that owners are even placed in this predicament.

They've said form the word go that this is a custom, bespoke version. It's such a stupid thing not to include with a game that a lot of people play together online.

Is there anywhere to complain to EA / ask for explanation / ask for it to be patched? They wanted people to put their faith in it yet don't include such a basic feature? Fuck off.

Bazry

The whole game is supposedly a custom built version, to then say they didn't want to bother with a custom matchmaking service seems incredibly lazy

ggx2ac

Sure, the Switch has some sort of matchmaking, but if it's so much work to implement that EA have decided to cut it to save time, then I'd say Nintendo have fucked up. At the end of the day it's their responsibility to create a framework that allows developers to easily hook into their ecosystem, they're planning to charge money for this after all.

They had already cut out the story mode from the game, sounds like they weren't given enough resources in the first place.

aznpxdd

This decision really amazes me and I seriously wonder what goes on at these meetings. Its like...how was this okay'd by the developers or EA?

Philippo

Allow play on the same console on the go, take out online multiplayer.

One step ahead, two steps behind.

Fix this shit immediately.

hoserx

man what the fuck? Is there local wireless play to go against a friend at least? This is seriously causing me to reconsider this purchase.

R.D.Blax

I'm really starting to believe the theory that EA just don't want to succeed on Nintendo hardware... Seriously, even Street Fighter have friend match !

Jack cw

With all the missing features, graphical downgrades and this I cancelled my predorder and bought it now on PS4...

Yeah they need to patch this. Every Switch online game lets you play with friends with the exception FAST RMX which later got patched with the feature - but that was an Indie game at launch.

This isn't a limitation of Nintendo's online, it's just weird.

Zedark

For everyone with a twitter account: tweet @EASPORTSFIFA and tell them we want it in. It's the best way to make your voice heard. Really shitty thing to just leave out such a core feature and not even mention it.

Don’t buy games you want to play online on Nintendo systems. Simple.
Not at all. The CoD games worked great on Wii and Wii U and a lot of Nintendo's first party games function fantastically with the only questionable netcode coming to mind being Brawl (2008).

FIFA should let you play with friends. Being on Switch isn't the reason that it doesn't.

Ninja Dom

Yeah they need to patch this. Every Switch online game lets you play with friends with the exception FAST RMX which later got patched with the feature - but that was an Indie game at launch.

This isn't a limitation of Nintendo's online, it's just weird.

Yup. Crazy that you can’t play online with friends.

Threads like these also see a lot of non Switch owning Nintendo bashers a reason to come in and bash Nintendo.

this doesn't make any sense.

How many work does it take to ad such a simple option?

I knew there was a trap, this kind of support from EA seemed way too good, they had to leave a little "fuck you" that would piss some people that would automatically put the blame on Nintendo, even if it isn't their fault despite the utterly crapiness of their online infrastructure

Oregano

It was bad but somewhat forgiveable when Shin'en had to patch this in but EA is one of the biggest publishers in the world.

They constantly cut corners on Nintendo platforms.

Bendo

They had already cut out the story mode from the game, sounds like they weren't given enough resources in the first place.

Sure, but my point is that if inviting a friend to play requires significant resources from the devs side, then Nintendo dropped the ball. This should largely be handled by the system, but instead devs have to make the choice if they want to spend significant resources to implement their own invitation system. It should come as no surprise then that EA just takes the easy route and drops it.

Not at all. The CoD games worked great on Wii and Wii U and a lot of Nintendo's first party games function fantastically with the only questionable netcode coming to mind being Brawl (2008).

FIFA should let you play with friends. Being on Switch isn't the reason that it doesn't.

There’s eternal compromises with Nintendo systems and online. You never get an experience in the level of PS4 and Xbox.

This is Nintendos fault more than EA. Nintendo is either not skilled enough to havens online or they refuse to. We have gone backwards from Wii U. Unacceptable.

Honestly nintendo should let Microsoft put Xbox live on the system and be done with it. You have to for Minecraft Switch.

Zedark

Sure, but my point is that if inviting a friend to play requires significant resources from the devs side, then Nintendo dropped the ball. This should largely be handled by the system, but instead devs have to make the choice if they want to spend significant resources to implement their own invitation system. It should come as no surprise then that EA just takes the easy route and drops it.
The fact that many games, even low-budget ones, feature this functionality goes against the idea that it's something resource-intensive.

Oregano

Yet every other developer, including the tiniest indie developers don't seem to have an issue?

Nintendo's online might be bare ones but there's no excusing this.

The year where you need a mobile phone app to do the same thing in first party games for said platform.

That's not even true.

synce

Is this a standard feature in other Switch games? I'd figure it's an issue with Nintendo's ridiculous online setup (only $20!)

There’s eternal compromises with Nintendo systems and online. You never get an experience in the level of PS4 and Xbox.
Right but basic functions are there. You can play games online with strangers and with friends. FIFA not supporting the latter is a wild oversight that needs to be addressed.

People are interested in this version to play it on the go but it may also be the only version they buy.

Top Bottom