• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighter Within for Xbox One video leaked

dose

As the link is now private, download it from here:
Edit, didn't know that host was banned! Reuploading somewhere else lol.

You can see from this video that the latency is indeed almost zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdviGrPaQDQ

So It's really up to the developers to write efficient algorithms to convert that skeletal data to controller input.

At this point. I'm going to say. If I see significant lag in Kinect games. I'm going to blame the developer and not the hardware.

Both sides shown on that video are from the Kinect's point of view, meaning it wouldn't show any lag. You'd need a video that showed the skeletal demonstration, but with a separate camera showing the person doing the motions so you can see any input lag.

madmackem

So It's really up to the developers to write efficient algorithms to convert that skeletal data to controller input.

At this point. I'm going to say. If I see significant lag in Kinect games. I'm going to blame the developer and not the hardware.

Thats two streams put together we dont know what they did to that video or how it was captured. Im still very iffy on things like this until you see it done live and infront of you, we saw how amazing kinect one was in all the video ms showed us prior to launch and we all know how that turned out. Also that isnt in a game situation so the machine isnt being taxed in doing anything but spitting out the kinect data. After the whole kinect one im two feet in the show me real time in game camp in real situations.

Yep. And if you played Marvel Avengers or PoweUp heroes, you'd know this kind of lag is due to the game's design, not to Kinect problems. In those games, you don't do in reality the moves you want in the game, but simply issue some "gesture commands" that the game then translates in in-game actions. So it must wait until you completed your command to start executing it, and this causes the lag. That's a very different gameplay concept than, ie, Dance Central, where your exact movements are replicated in real-time by the game.

A page full of "lol lag" comments from people who doesn't know what lag actually is.

Kinect 2.0 can track the body with very little lag. But writing the code on how those movements translate to on screen actions and movements on screen, how the animation plays out, which animations have priority, etc...that's all on Ubisoft.

This video is not an indication of Kinect Lag. Just like how using controllers movement in one game can seem floaty but responsive in another. See Japanese fighting games vs the "stiff" Mortal Kombat animations. Call of Duty vs. Killzone, etc...

PREACH!

Alx

First Kinect game they show (at gamescom) and it's an unoriginal stupid fighter, man...

Not so unoriginal, when you consider there hasn't been a really good one on the previous kinect : Fighters Uncaged was bad, and Powerup Heroes or Avengers were between real fighting and turn-based fighting.
There are still a few issues in this game, but I like the way it's going. Things are definitely getting good.

This game is 1:1 the way Twilight Princess' sword fighting is 1:1.

A 1:1 fighting game wouldn't be good anyway, only real martial artists would be able to produce nice-looking fights (and even then it's not sure : real sport fights are not as pretty as those in kung-fu flicks).
For a game, you still need the "simple input = cool looking move onscreen" rule, so your moves won't appear untouched. If they were, you would see a catfight between the two girls on the screen, instead of a Thai boxer Vs a Shaolin girl or whatever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Both sides shown on that video are from the Kinect's point of view, meaning it wouldn't show any lag. You'd need a video that showed the skeletal demonstration, but with a separate camera showing the person doing the motions so you can see any input lag.
Like this?

Not even just a skeleton. That's the video that made me a believer in the hardware.

For a game, you still need the "simple input = cool looking move onscreen".

Yeah definitely, hopefully MS will invest money into a device that will allow players to make simple inputs that correspond to cool moves on screen, maybe something with the ability to input simple combinations to create even cooler moves.

acm2000

those blaming kinect itself really need to take a step back at look at the video

clear a combination of horrendous code (like the first game), awful setup, bad lighting, and other such crap

What? That is from the kinect's pov, of course it wouldn't show the lag.

Alx

Yeah definitely, hopefully MS will invest money into a device that will allow players to make simple inputs that correspond to cool moves on screen, maybe something with the ability to input simple combinations to create even cooler moves.

Very funny.
Having a complex motion mapped to a simple motion is still very entertaining. I'm a big fan of fighting games in general and wouldn't stop playing the button-based ones, but there is room for a more physical expression of the genre. See for example what Sega did with Virtua Fighter in the eyetoy game Sega Superstars.

Busty

Banned
Who is the audience for this? Does the presumably family centric audience of the Kinect want a title like this? Don't they want stuff like WiiSports knock offs and the like.

Every time I see someone 'playing' a Kinect I get a 'No Country For Old Men' vibe.

Why do people think Kinect is viable as an input device for gaming at all?

Controillers are already handicapping enough, and then they want to increase the lagg and have no tactile feedback?!

Who thought this was a good idea?!

jinnosuke

A page full of "lol lag" comments from people who doesn't know what lag actually is.

Kinect 2.0 can track the body with very little lag. But writing the code on how those movements translate to on screen actions and movements on screen, how the animation plays out, which animations have priority, etc...that's all on Ubisoft.

Basically if you see this gif and think thats a problem with Kinect and not Ubisoft then you're doing it wrong. .

one clever post.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why do people think Kinect is viable as an input device for gaming at all?

Controillers are already handicapping enough, and then they want to increase the lagg and have no tactile feedback?!

Who thought this was a good idea?!
Because not all inputs need to be primary and not every genre needs frame-accurate inputs.

For little things like camera control in terrain editors and stuff like MM's demo at the Sony conference, it can be of use, and intuitive even.

Zushin

Huge latency, or am I mistaken? Look at the right player:

fighterwithin_latencynezqm.gif

Oh dear...

Tiglet

Banned

Basically if you see this gif and think thats a problem with Kinect and not Ubisoft then you're doing it wrong.

This video is not an indication of Kinect Lag. Just like how using controllers movement in one game can seem floaty but responsive in another. See Japanese fighting games vs the "stiff" Mortal Kombat animations. Call of Duty vs. Killzone, etc...

You're right, the xbox one just isn't powerfull enough to do these calculations.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Substantiate that claim.

Okay. Which part of the Xbox One system grabs the data. Turns it into a skeletal frame with drawn wires between the movement points. Turns that into graphics data and then sends that to the GPU?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For matching patterns in real-time video feeds you usually need more than one frame to extract and detect objects in motion. You need the delta between many images to be sure that a certain shape in frame A represents the same physical object as in frame B. I'd guess that this pre-processing step is included and might even be done in hardware. Newer camera systems in autonomous vehicles work that way.

The extraction of a higher-level model is usually done in software. In the case of the Xbox, that would be done by some operating system service. I am not sure, if they included that in the actual latency statement; that might be a theoretical value and the update of different models (skeletal, depth, force) certainly takes different amounts of time.

Yeah, that's what I mean, put more clearly :)

It seems to me that with few exceptions, game engines amplify base input lag. The base input lag here may not even be 'just' 60ms, depending on what kind of input you want to infer from the depth map, but 60ms is already high if that is just for depth map generation.

Given the variability with game engine latency, IMO if you want a good controller for games you really need something very low latency at the base.

cchum

Yeah, that's what I mean, put more clearly :)

It seems to me that with few exceptions, game engines amplify base input lag. The base input lag here may not even be 'just' 60ms, depending on what kind of input you want to infer from the depth map, but 60ms is already high if that is just for depth map generation.

Given the variability with game engine latency, IMO if you want a good controller for games you really need something very low latency at the base.

The Kinect 2 also captures at 30fps (per vgleaks). I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the problem. What if the game is 60fps vs 30fps image capture? Where are the engineers on GAF?

shira

Can someone makes Gifs of the interesting parts? I cant see any of these links at work lol.

ibcpbpbxrRWHK9.gif

The Kinect 2 also captures at 30fps (per vgleaks). I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the problem. What if the game is 60fps vs 30fps image capture? Where are the engineers on GAF?

Given the crapnosity of this footage I'm thinking it's looking for a movement that looks like a kick/punch. IE that girls egg-beater motion. If you think it's anywhere near 1:1, sorry not this game.

Top Bottom