• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighter Within for Xbox One video leaked

I played a terrible game using a controller once. It means controllers are shit and have no application whatsoever.

Ah, but conventional controllers have widely been proven precise and effective; Kinect 1, not so much. So Kinect 2 has it all to prove and will inevitably face some scepticism given its heritage.

QaaQer

I could imagine a tactical style fighting game with Kinect, kind of like a bushido blade game but with boxing instead. But this game looks like it will be a flailing mess with cinematic blows peppered in.

I would totally buy and Xbone just for a good boxing sim.

Okay. Which part of the Xbox One system grabs the data. Turns it into a skeletal frame with drawn wires between the movement points. Turns that into graphics data and then sends that to the GPU?

I told you to substantiate the claim and you asked me a question about filters. Okay.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I told you to substantiate the claim and you asked me a question about filters. Okay.

You said both vids were coming directly from the kinect sensor so there wouldn't be any lag between them. I've just shown you that you are wrong.

You said both vids were coming directly from the kinect sensor so there wouldn't be any lag between them. I've just shown you that you are wrong.

No you didn't. You asked me a question about how filters worked, not proved that both captures were not from the Kinect itself or that one was not placed next to it after the fact. You have not proven anything at all with that video or otherwise. You are merely trying to shut down discussion about this new evidence that the Kinect 2.0 may not be mitigating the latency problem.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So Kinect is good for kids.

Given that most of the current crop of Kinect games are squarely aimed at kids. Yes.

I'm guessing that MS is trying to involve that with the new technology to allow finer control for more adult oriented gameplay.

cyberheater

No you didn't. You asked me a question about how filters worked, not proved that both captures were not from the Kinect itself or that one was not placed next to it after the fact. You have not proven anything at all with that video or otherwise. You are merely trying to shut down discussion about this new evidence that the Kinect 2.0 may not be mitigating the latency problem.

You said.

What? That is from the kinect's pov, of course it wouldn't show the lag.

And I'm saying that the skeletal animation shown in the video is not the raw output of Kinect. The data has been processed by XBO and converted to video. It is not 'from the kinect's pov'.

Here's another youtube link for others that are having problems with the other links in this thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYctLfM7ufA

Can't really judge the input lag with all the flailing. Maybe later we'll get some better video and a better demonstration of the game.

Really you can't see how shitty it is in this video?

That was pathetic and hilarious ... Looks as bad as current kinect... Honestly I am surprised it being this bad

Coolwhip

Banned
tumblr_m17cue3MKF1ro2ryjo1_500.gif

hahah

This game is going to be a hit at 10 year old's birthday parties.

Until they realise that if they would face eachother while kicking and punching it becomes a lot more interesting.

A 1:1 fighting game wouldn't be good anyway, only real martial artists would be able to produce nice-looking fights (and even then it's not sure : real sport fights are not as pretty as those in kung-fu flicks).
For a game, you still need the "simple input = cool looking move onscreen" rule, so your moves won't appear untouched. If they were, you would see a catfight between the two girls on the screen, instead of a Thai boxer Vs a Shaolin girl or whatever.

There should be at least an optional true 1:1 mode (if technically feasible) though.

The Fight for PS3 is (lag-free) 1:1 and was a lot of fun because of it (if you know how to throw boxing punches). Also better for the "training effect" they are advertising here.

szaromir

Banned
Ah, but conventional controllers have widely been proven precise and effective; Kinect 1, not so much. So Kinect 2 has it all to prove and will inevitably face some scepticism given its heritage.
Eh, I do think directly controlling an avatar with gestures/body movement is a bad idea. However, I think it can work great to compliment the controller - the console can analyze your facial expressions, posture, noise in your room etc. - such nifty touches could enhance the game.

conventional controllers have widely been proven precise and effective
Not in all applications though. Playing an RTS with a controller is a torture, but it doesn't mean it's completely useless. That's my point.

Are we absolutely sure that the TV used in that gif is correctly setup for gaming? People are taking that gif at face value when the TV could have input lag.

It's a pretty big distinction whether the TV is suffering from lag or the Kinect and we should be sure rather than assume it's the Kinect. I don't recall other examples of the Kinect 2 shown being that laggy.

Aw the vid doesn't work. I really wanted to see this shitty game.

Edit: Whoops, found a link.

Wow this game looks like fucking garbage~! lol! Are those 2 actually enjoying themselves?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
$100 well spent. Is "lazy devs" the defence du jour now? ::rolleyes::

Just drop this gimmick camera so we can all move forward.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
VG Leaks state the latency for Kinect 2.0 is:-

That video is more like 500ms. Something is seriously wrong.

Kinect 1: 90ms of INNER kinect latency + 150+ ms outside processing (by the console and game software).

Kinect 2: 60 ms of INNER kinect latency + XXX+ ms outside processing (by the console and game software).

Kinect 1 vas very laggy. Kinect 2 is very laggy too. Them's the breaks.

I believe that's why Sony didn't pack in a PSeye in every system. These things are an order of magnitude too slow for human reflexes.

bud

You can see from this video that the latency is indeed almost zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdviGrPaQDQ

So It's really up to the developers to write efficient algorithms to convert that skeletal data to controller input.

At this point. I'm going to say. If I see significant lag in Kinect games. I'm going to blame the developer and not the hardware.

there's noticeable latency here:

Like this?

Not even just a skeleton. That's the video that made me a believer in the hardware.

and none of these demonstration videos seem to be showing how kinect will cope faster, more sudden movements like the ones shown in the fighting game in the op.

See, people just don't understand. If Kinect is packed in with every console, and required to be plugged in at all times, the lag will be improved. You just have to have a little faith people.

Alpha_eX

It's not 1:1, you have to trigger moves. Not sure why people insist on doing fighting games with visual triggers, looks awful and laggy because of the animations have to run into the move from idle after sensing the input.

Both sides shown on that video are from the Kinect's point of view, meaning it wouldn't show any lag. You'd need a video that showed the skeletal demonstration, but with a separate camera showing the person doing the motions so you can see any input lag.
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01y1vXBl1-8#t=4m25s

Fighter Within seems to queue actions based on your movement, because the lag seen in that game is certainly not from Kinect's calculations.

and none of these demonstration videos seem to be showing how kinect will cope faster, more sudden movements like the ones shown in the fighting game in the op.
My link above shows the latency of Kinect calculating their skeleton and force model, both of which would be used in the fighting game.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Is it really playable ? I only watched movies of it on youtube and it looked really bad.
It's playable but I can see how someone would give it 5 minutes and write it off. It has a surprising amount of depth to it if you give it a real chance.

RetroStu

Banned
Awful, absolutely god awful and i will never get how some people like playing games like this. Those 2 girls looked like a right pair of twats playing this.
Also why is it 2D, you would think it would be some stupid first person view if its Kinect.

See, people just don't understand. If Kinect is packed in with every console, and required to be plugged in at all times, the lag will be improved. You just have to have a little faith people.

But if it the lag (or even just a significant portion of it) is due to the hardware, Can a developer really overcome it with better software?

I see no reason why it being mandatory will automatically guarantee lag improvements

Top Bottom