• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
They're still saying "Early 2017" right? July is definitely not "Early" so it should be out, assuming it's not delayed.

Kumubou

Evo at the Mandalay Bay is a hell of an upgrade over the LVH/Westgate.

I've always mentally penciled Tekken 7 as a late March release, mainly so that they can get the game out before the end of Namco's fiscal year.

I honestly think they haven't announced a release date because they honestly haven't committed to a firm date yet. They've probably been working with this "early 2017" window for a while and decided to drop that fact earlier than they wanted due to the fanbase getting up their butts over it.

shaowebb

Was it really necessary Blaz Blue to rename regular old magic series to "revolver action'?
I thought the purpose to NOT confuse new folks and teach them wrong. They could have stopped at explaining A>B>C> etc and how ending animation frames cancel out into the next attack.

BB got some serious addiction to complicating things with additional unnecessary terminology. At least they had character specific tutorials though to teach drives for each character and talk their strats.

Anyhoo, eyerolling aside It seems that I didn't have too much to go over on the system specifics. Just meter cost for barrier crushing things, barrier's in general (forgot it was two specific buttons and not just a normal pushblock), and this flow and exceed thinger. Looks like I need to watch for my burst thing to get all glowy because thats some legit damage if I Overdrive in that state.

Glad it wasn't a whole lot. Just an input difference, costs, and a special state indicator. Now I can get to grinding.

BTW is there any reason the triggers are set the way they are by default ? Immediately hot keyed them to AB/ABC/ABCD/BC so that I could one button throw, barrier, rapid cancel and overdrive.

Malice215

Just put my time off in for EVO 2017. Can't wait.

Namco is going to wait until the last minute to confirm the release date, but I'd be surprised if Tekken 7 doesn't drop by March because of financials. After March, and it's up against Injustass 2. Plus it would suck if the console version isn't out in time for Final Round in March.

shaowebb

I mean, they renamed 'round' to 'rebel.' Arcsys revels in nonsense language when they label mechanics in their games.

So much done right and then just adding extra terminology to confuse things is silly IMO. Case in point, by the end of the BB series the encyclopedia of terms and references is so large you occassionally need to call it up mid story sequence for clarification. Idea engine, phenomenon intervention, drive, nox nictores, grimoires, murakumo, observer, law of order, boundary, cauldron,etc, etc etc...just stop at some point and realize you can have entire paragraphs speaking on concepts that should make sense that now no longer do by doing this.

Story turned out satisfying but it felt frustrating sitting through all that and now its in the tutorial too? Cmon man...you're gonna burn out casual players and any newcomers in a heartbeat using so many terms that it involves hours of required reading.

RULE#1 in fighting game design...make the complex seem simple to players.
RULE#2 in fighting game design...do NOT make the simple seem complex to players.

2016's lineup
CZspM7ZWYAEWwJZ.jpg

Thoughts about what'll get cut/replaced? Doubt Pokken will survive, but it might not get replaced with another game.

2016's lineup
CZspM7ZWYAEWwJZ.jpg

Thoughts about what'll get cut/replaced? Doubt Pokken will survive, but it might not get replaced with another game.

Gonna get replaced by Pokken Switch.

I predict Nintendo collaborating with Evo again, especially in light of the new console launch and the prominence of eSports in the hype trailer.

shaowebb

Pokken just got an update didnt it? Honestly I'm hoping for BBCF to make it back on stage alongside of MKXL sticking around to show off the new balance to redeem the Alien switch last year in Grand Finals.

Other than that...no opinions. AnimEVO will have me covered for the rest.

Dahbomb

Mortal Kombat X --> Injustice 2
Marvel 3 - Marvel 4
Xrd Revelator - whatever stupid subtitle they come up with next year
Even IF Marvel 4 is a real thing, the rumors have said that it will only be tested in next year not releasing.

Either we get Marvel 3 at EVO next year again or we have an EVO without a Marvel game for the first time ever.

If I had to guess then this would be the list:

SFV
KOF14
Tekken 7
Smash 4
Smash Melee
Injustice 2
GGXrd

+ Couple extra games from these to round out the 8-9 (or not)

MKX: There was a big recent balance patch and I think NRS want the game to be supported for an additional year at least.
KI: This has been one of the lowest entrance games in the past couple of years but it still makes it in. There is definitely some clout here and it might continue so don't be shocked if KI comes back again.
Marvel 3: It's god damn Marvel son. Mr. Wizard is going to try to wiggle the game in one way or the other.

Pokken is most likely not coming back, I don't see BBCF making enough of a splash to be brought back as well.

.la1n

KI isn't pulling enough entrants to make it again unless Mr. Wizard is just really enjoying the top 8s. In a perfect world Smash 4 and Melee would be on Saturday to ensure a smoother Sunday schedule. Pooken can stay gone forever, almost single handedly destroyed my soul last year.

Coda

KI isn't pulling enough entrants to make it again unless Mr. Wizard is just really enjoying the top 8s. In a perfect world Smash 4 and Melee would be on Saturday to ensure a smoother Sunday schedule. Pooken can stay gone forever, almost single handedly destroyed my soul last year.

Really sad honestly considering KI is easily one of the best fighting games to come out in the past couple years.

I wonder if Blazblue would make it back in. I know people really liked the grand finals the last time it appeared. I personally do like how the game feels compared to Xrd so far. Though I know people give GG more respect than Blazblue.

Neoxon

2016's lineup
CZspM7ZWYAEWwJZ.jpg

Replace Pokkén with KoFXIV, MKX(L) with Injustice 2, either GGXrd or KI with BlazBlue, & (if the port is out in time for EVO) Smash 4 Wii U with Smash 4 Switch.

I'm expecting everything else to stay.

SFV Marvel costume dlc pack for $25
You say that it would be a troll, but it would honestly be pretty sick.

Another thing I wonder if the top or finals of Tekken will be on PC or PS4. During pools it probably will be on PS4 since there are many available, but from what has been shown so far, the PS4 looks not that great compared to PC. So I wonder if they maybe will be doing something like only using the better looking version for stream matches and finals day, since EVO does really seem to care about spectator quality as we move along.

Another thing I wonder if the top or finals of Tekken will be on PC or PS4. During pools it probably will be on PS4 since there are many available, but from what has been shown so far, the PS4 looks not that great compared to PC. So I wonder if they maybe will be doing something like only using the better looking version for stream matches and finals day, since EVO does really seem to care about spectator quality as we move along.

PS4 version will look fine by release time. It was available publicly at the NA King Of Iron Fist tournament and everyone who played it said it looked much better than the earlier footage.

Kalamari

Bison as Magneto, Zangief as Hulk, Alex as Spidey, Karin as Iron Man, Ken as Cap, would be pretty cool.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would sell like hotcakes.

Coda

PS4 version will look fine by release time. It was available publicly at the NA King Of Iron Fist tournament and everyone who played it said it looked much better than the earlier footage.

That's good to hear. Still undecided on what platform I should pick it up on. I'm leaning towards the higher player base with PS4, but those PC visuals though.

All 3 days at the Mandalay Bay is good. Keep it in 1 venue.

I wonder if they are gonna make us buy a separate ticket for Finals day again, or will it be part of the registration price.

Sayad

Tekken 7, Smash U, Injustice 2, Melee and SFV are a given.

I could see UMvC3 not making it this year, but if MvC4 get announced, UMvC3 at EVO is guaranteed.

Xrd might be at weird situation, I except the next Xrd to have some radical changes, so I don't think we'd get it before EVO.

KoFXIV and KI will probably be there.

New BB might have a chance if Arc/Aksys show enough support.

El Sabroso

2016's lineup
CZspM7ZWYAEWwJZ.jpg

really not sure about Pokken and KI future at evo, I hope KI is still there

from the other 7 games the only change I see is MKXL -> Injustice 2, can expect to have SFV, GGXrdR, UMvC3, SSBM, SSB4, T7, KOF14, Injustuce2 and hoping KI still returns.

pixelish

i've been playing hearthstone a lot lately (hoping to be as good as daigo one day) and midrange shaman players bm-ing me when they have lethal is almost equivalent to chun li players popping off. makes me quite salty tbh.

i've been playing hearthstone a lot lately (hoping to be as good as daigo one day) and midrange shaman players bm-ing me when they have lethal is almost equivalent to chun li players popping off. makes me quite salty tbh.

I feel the same way tbh

I can't imagine popping off on somebody after winning with Elena and using 3 healings in the same round.

Line_HTX

Get rid of Pokken. From what I understand that game took the longest to run and pushed a few other games back.

I dunno, I don't think it's a good spectator game.

pizzacat

Banned
Bison as Magneto, Zangief as Hulk, Alex as Spidey, Karin as Iron Man, Ken as Cap, would be pretty cool.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would sell like hotcakes.
This game is on PC, Karin iron man already exists

Alex as spiderman? Is spiderman the annoying sonic the hedgehog esque character that looks like a blind persons representation of the American flag? Like what does he have to do with Alex? They're both from New York but isn't every other marvel character from New York?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom