• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

yooooooooo
slomo is life

4bC3teH.gif

Nice

Downloaded DOA5 LR F2P version on steam and gave it a spin. Funny enough there are some weird mappings using an X1 controller but works fine with a 360 pad.

I had the Ultimate version on 360 in the past so I'm not feeling the need to spend moneys on characters...

Rhapsody

Banned
Any tips on the Naoto vs Nine matchup? Shits hard for me when I try it.
Naoto's my sub and I really dislike that matchup lol. Be careful on your approaches for sure. j[D] will be really valuable for you to make them not autopilot their timing on anti airs. If Nine is knocked down and has a spell, be sure to OS against her DP. If you input a gatling for example 2A~5B, 5B only comes out if 2A landed, on whiff it doesn't come out. So I input 2A~5B then 214A for sway, the sway ends up coming out only on 2A whiff, but never on hit. So I tend to OS that to punish her DP attempt (and her backdash has no invul on frame 1)

If you have Burst, you can do 2A~5B 5ABCD to OD instead as your OS, and hit Nine for 5k+ damage.

Other than that, the only other tips are general tips against Nine. Always make sure to check to see if she has a spell in stock. You don't want to be fidgeting to block kunzite when she never has access to it. Remember if she has no spells, she has to come to you or pop OD to gain spells on whiffs (Nine's won't do this unless it's almost time over and they're desperate). You sort of treat of like a grappler in some ways because of it.

correct on Rhapsody. Marie is bottom of the bottom tier in 2.0 as well. Its not my character's spot on the tier list that sucks, its the rampant absurdity of shadow characters. Shadows received WAY too many buffs and are just too good. In my 20 or so matches in the arcade I played only 1 person taht wasn't playing shadow.

Though if 2.0 ever did hit console I probably would've given learning Naoto another try. Shes a super cool design but I couldn't figure her out at the time, then Marie came out and just clicked so I never went back.

Marie's actually decent (much MUCH better than 1.1). I'm actually maining her in 2.0 because Shadow Ken made things too free lol. She's not bottom, but she's floating around that large B tier area. If you won't take my word for it, I've seen it on other lists too. She's a much better character that 1.1 Marie is pretty much dead to me.

Top tier shadows don't feel too far out of line compared to past top tiers, so I'm fine with it. I'd rather deal with 2.0 Shadow Ken and Yukari than 1.1 Ken or 1.1 Yosuke. Honestly shadows just made a lot of characters a lot more relevant in my eyes instead of ruining the game. They have some really silly stuff, but nothing that was more than what was in past games.

Top tier shadows don't feel too far out of line compared to past top tiers, so I'm fine with it. I'd rather deal with 2.0 Shadow Ken and Yukari than 1.1 Ken or 1.1 Yosuke. Honestly shadows just made a lot of characters a lot more relevant in my eyes instead of ruining the game. They have some really silly stuff, but nothing that was more than what was in past games.
its more that there is so many of them and they all do the same thing. Work up to an instant kill combo. In 1.1 you only ever see a Shadow Mitsuru, Shadow Chie, or Shadow Naoto here or there and its neat because they change the game up and make you think differently. This makes their combos pretty fucking hype. In 2.0 its fucking everywhere, every damn match is just fighting against TOD confirms. It just wasnt at all fun for me to play.

I'm curious as to why Marie isn't garbage tier in players eyes anymore though. Last I was looking at tier lists (11 months ago?) She was consensus garbage

Rhapsody

Banned
its more that there is so many of them and they all do the same thing. Work up to an instant kill combo. In 1.1 you only ever see a Shadow Mitsuru, Shadow Chie, or Shadow Naoto here or there and its neat because they change the game up and make you think differently. This makes their combos pretty fucking hype. In 2.0 its fucking everywhere, every damn match is just fighting against TOD confirms. It just wasnt at all fun for me to play.

I'm curious as to why Marie isn't garbage tier in players eyes anymore though. Last I was looking at tier lists (11 months ago?) She was consensus garbage

Her OMC route is consistent unlike 1.1 due to hitbox changes. So anything that's a good starter like sweep means corner carry into 4k+ damage. The great thing is you can end this combo with auto combo into sweep now which is a new change, then do presents oki.

236D is effective in zoning now since it's different. 236C/D have super short recovery and faster startup which means good pressure and zoning. It's made MUs a lot easier for me. If they get antsy and go for a bad roll and you have meter, it'll be a strong punish.

Presents have way less recovery and can be used as oki. Chocolate present acts a bit differently, they can actually move backwards if the present ended up behind the opponent which is good. This also allows a setup with SB chocolate present to where you can do a corner crossup because the chocolate pushes them out of the corner and then hits them again.

214C/D is basically the same. Less startup I think which makes defending against some zoners a bit easier (doesn't really work against Margaret or Yukari though). Supers are still the same for the most part. Awakening Super got a slight nerf in neutral, but I use it for the ambiguous setup after knockdown which vortexes back into the same situation still.

Largely, they buffed all these small aspects to make her functional. Things that should've been how they were before, and I'm fine with that.

ShinMaruku

Downloaded DOA5 LR F2P version on steam and gave it a spin. Funny enough there are some weird mappings using an X1 controller but works fine with a 360 pad.

I had the Ultimate version on 360 in the past so I'm not feeling the need to spend moneys on characters...
Mai and 5he cross over characters are fairly prompt and some of them are worth the price in my view.

Her OMC route is consistent unlike 1.1 due to hitbox changes. So anything that's a good starter like sweep means corner carry into 4k+ damage. The great thing is you can end this combo with auto combo into sweep now which is a new change, then do presents oki.
I knew a lot of this stuff, but this sounds like the biggest difference from what was known months ago. Her damage was bad in 2.0, but it looks like routes just werent found. Also having consistent routes sounds great, was the need to delay 5BB removed from combos as well?

The chocolate thing was weird to get used to. It was nice how much faster it popped, but how it walked right through enemies if it connected before it activated was dumb. The collision box removal from 1.1

Rhapsody

Banned
I knew a lot of this stuff, but this sounds like the biggest difference from what was known months ago. Her damage was bad in 2.0, but it looks like routes just werent found. Also having consistent routes sounds great, was the need to delay 5BB removed from combos as well?

The chocolate thing was weird to get used to. It was nice how much faster it popped, but how it walked right through enemies if it connected before it activated was dumb. The collision box removal from 1.1

This combo always existed, even in 1.1. All the buffs she received made matchups not as bad is all. 5BB delay still exists for routes and is needed. It's just her routes from 1.1 are practically all consistent now.

She's not bottom like Kanji or whatever (I actually forget who's bottom this time around). It's just these all these buffs contribute to making things easier. There wasn't anything new that popped up if that's what you're looking for.

This combo always existed, even in 1.1. All the buffs she received made matchups not as bad is all. 5BB delay still exists for routes and is needed. It's just her routes from 1.1 are practically all consistent now.

She's not bottom like Kanji or whatever (I actually forget who's bottom this time around). It's just these all these buffs contribute to making things easier. There wasn't anything new that popped up if that's what you're looking for.
A lot of the character specific stuff was gone, but things like

5AA > 5C > 5BB > jc > j.C > 5AA > 5B > 5C > 2AB > 236A (character specific, kanji, marie, mitsuru, etc)

would just be

5AA > 2B > 5BB > jc > j.C > 5AAAA > 236A in 2.0

I forget where we were with her OMC stuff at that point, but damage had taken a hit thanks to the simplified combos. This is where the tier list was back then https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_2VZZNWQAIW57J.png

Rhapsody

Banned
A lot of the character specific stuff was gone, but things like

5AA > 5C > 5BB > jc > j.C > 5AA > 5B > 5C > 2AB > 236A (character specific, kanji, marie, mitsuru, etc)

would just be

5AA > 2B > 5BB > jc > j.C > 5AAAA > 236A in 2.0

I forget where we were with her OMC stuff at that point, but damage had taken a hit thanks to the simplified combos. This is where the tier list was back then https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_2VZZNWQAIW57J.png
Shadow Yukari has moved up since then to top (she's ridiculous)along with Shadow Ken. Shadow Chie moved down since she suffers some problems in neutral on various matchups. Think things like Shadow Junpei moving down since he was really overrated at the start. It's more or less the same overall, but things are considered a tiny bit more condensed.

You can get a full, awesome game for $17 or you can get 6 crappy characters for a crappy game for 18. Such a hard choice.

Thanks for reminding me to avoid Guilty Gear.
I paid full price for last years GG. (Should have listened to DahBomb) Feel like when I purchase it, they are going to announce another one.
The irony is that I never played enough to just earn the characters so I am paying for it with a season pass. (I have 300k FM and got urien).

But I already paid way too much for both.

Thats how I am feeling for both. Not sure I want to pay for a digital version of GG just for that Raven guy.

BadWolf

I paid full price for last years GG. (Should have listened to DahBomb) Feel like when I purchase it, they are going to announce another one.
The irony is that I never played enough to just earn the characters so I am paying for it with a season pass. (I have 300k FM and got urien).

Every time I consider getting into GG I just remember their business model and think nah.

I do regret getting SFV for full price at launch but at least the base game will last for years and the balance updates will be free so in the end it should work out okay.

Kumubou

https://twitter.com/CapcomFighters/status/801180075651579904

Rashid new stage is banned.

Time to buy it and set it as my fav as protest.
How is this not part of their acceptance criteria when the stages are being made?

Does anyone on the development team even know what anyone else is doing at this point?

Is there even hope for a new one?
Given Mori's comments regarding how there's no Extend version of BBCF coming and how badly both BB and GG have been selling the last two years... I actually don't expect a new retail release for either series, as I think they're both toast.

Given Mori's comments regarding how there's no Extend version of BBCF coming and how badly both BB and GG have been selling the last two years... I actually don't expect a new retail release for either series, as I think they're both toast.

Marching closer to that future where NRS is the only fighting game developer.

Producer

How is this not part of their acceptance criteria when the stages are being made?

Does anyone on the development team even know what anyone else is doing at this point?

In an interview a while back i think Ono said they let the dev team make fun stages without having to consider if its tourney viable.

Pompadour

So my top two favorite fighting games of this generation sold like shit, apparently (Street Fighter V being one of them not that trash BlazBlue).

Village

You serious? I thought it was only GG?

Wow any info on why they are slipping, is it the release schedule, people just tired of the format?

shaowebb

three stages are banned now... wtf

why is Capcom's fighting division so clueless?

I don't think its the fighting fans who are the target with stages that are super distracting. They need more sales and for that you gotta appeal to casual markets. Easiest way is with exciting visuals to get the idea of "cool and exciting game" across.

Honestly...I'd expect more banworthy stages to flood if these sales. Tournies be damned.

.la1n

I missed the last Revelator sale, glad I didn't break down and buy it earlier.

On the subject of stages: you know left to their own devices players would just play training on repeat :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom