• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

Malice215

Toryuken 4 - May 26/27

CECC 2 - Jan 17th
Team tourney on the 16th @ A&C World

I added CECC2 but that Toryuken 4 date is on a Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll include it once I see some more information on it.

Calendar is coming along nicely. Lots of stuff going on. If you like it, let people know/share it.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kumite in Tennessee is the same weekend and has 7 (free) streams to pick from, last I checked.
where can people who are not in the know check

Website or FB has nothing, which is strange because I assume they want people to watch.

EDIT: Nevermind, the link above is helpful even though it doesn't line up with games necessarily.

Sayah

dear god I am going blind aren't I

EDIT:

Vote for thread titles below.

FGW | Nothing Happened: Third Strike

This happened.
bwhojlchpzwpje4wtv9k.jpg

Mike Z did a blog thing on Xrd if anyone wants more designer opinions
http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-im-not-playing-ggxrd.html

No, Mr. X. Mike only hates Guilty Gear because it's new and he should just get with the times don't you see? There can't possibly be any legitimate basis for his concerns with the game. He's just a hater and I don't like his game anyway!

This really stuck out for me though :
MikeZ said:
Not making motions easier everywhere. I-No's Chemical Love was changed from 632146+button (HCB,F+button) to just 214+button (QCB+button). This is EXCELLENT, it's a great thing to make motions easier for new players! But why was this approach only taken with Chemical Love? Why not Undertow, or Zansei Rouga, or Sickle Storm, or Tyrant Rave, or Dark Angel, or Potemkin Buster, or even I-No's other moves like Stroke the Big Tree, Longing Desperation or Ultimate Fortissimo? Why are lots of moves still half-circles when there is no overlapping quarter-circle motion? Why are there still overlapping motions on the same button, like Potemkin Buster and Megafist? Why does Ramlethal have a just-frame DP? Why not ACTUALLY make the game easier for new people to pick up and play and not screw up basic moves?

Because fuck the Pot Buster input. I've been complaining about its move overlap and overly restrictive motion requirements for the past couple days and it's a problem that's shared between both him and May. That the game doesn't read a literal Back - Down - Forward input as a half circle and requires you to hit every diagonal on top of dealing with other motions for that character running quarter circles on that button is insane. After attempting a Pot Buster I get Jab, Megafist, or 6A in every situation where I have a solid read on a guy and want the grab. It'd be simpler if it was just a 270 like most other modern grapplers these days.

Rhapsody

Banned
Mike Z did a blog thing on Xrd if anyone wants more designer opinions
http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-im-not-playing-ggxrd.html

I've read through it, and I agree with most of them. Some here and there I actually don't mind that's in Xrd.

Still though, his opinions are valid on a lot of things regarding game design. And seeing them all laid out as they are, it's definitely not "old man" mentality at all which some people thought. There's a lot of stuff he wanted to become simpler without taking away what makes it Guilty Gear.

Edit: And yeah, I'm also a little annoyed that they removed negative edging on specials. It basically made the execution a little harder.

Pompadour

I've read through it, and I agree with most of them. Some here and there I actually don't mind that's in Xrd.

Still though, his opinions are valid on a lot of things regarding game design. And seeing them all laid out as they are, it's definitely not "old man" mentality at all which some people thought. There's a lot of stuff he wanted to become simpler without taking away what makes it Guilty Gear.

Edit: And yeah, I'm also a little annoyed that they removed negative edging on specials. It basically made the execution a little harder.

Yeah, I really agree with his throw tech reasoning. I didn't miss it until after the 15th time I was on the offensive and went for a throw and their throw won out.

Dlent

I've seen Mike Z get plenty of random 6P's that worked in his favor; just take the win ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Infinite

Mike Z laid out the pros and cons of he game rather well although I felt he wasn't really writing from the perspective of a designer considering how the article starts off. Or maybe that's just his writing style? Anyway it kinda came off as "old man yells at cloud"-ish until he got to the pros and cons.

Top Bottom