• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

I remember Dean Earwicker way back from the initial Tekken 4 announcement, but I also remember the name from Tekken 5. In the game's single player mode where you rank up against the AI, the name for Steve's Tekken Lord rank AI was "Dean Earwicker".

When I saw that in Tekken 5, I couldn't help but smile.

jbug617

Banned
Anime twitter is messed up. I watched a stream of a guy reading Sonic fan fiction (Yaoi) while D'angelo- Brown Sugar is playing in the background.

fader

momochi and choco's chat is killing me. laughing equally at the translated japanese text and the twitch mosnters.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The difference with this is that you don't see players of this caliber play in an extended set for a bunch of money all of the time, and there's plenty of people who are interested in watching it. The question is whether the entertainment value is worth their money versus finding a free/illegal restream or YouTube rip.

Plus the majority of streams nowadays either have a subscription or ask for donations or run commercials, so some cost is being attributed to somebody. Plus there's no other streams to beat since there's nothing else going on fighting game wise on that weekend.

But the short answer is people are cheap and if they can avoid paying for something, they will.
Kumite in Tennessee is the same weekend and has 7 (free) streams to pick from, last I checked.

Manbig

Rage arts is still tied to being at 20% of your lifebar, but now they've added a more accessible, emphasized, stylized comeback mechanic since you can press a couple of buttons and land an attack that does a huge grip of damage.

Practically, you can't avoid that portion of an opponent's health bar. Eventually you are going to have to deal with rage, and putting someone in rage happens more often than not. People said the same thing about rage in Tekken 6, but you watch enough high level matches and you see that it's not the case, especially now that people prefer to do 3/5 sets.

Negative. It's more like 10% of a health bar and there are several instances of people getting killed out of attempted rage arts due to the fact that they still take damage from getting hit at such low HP. So just like in Tekken 6 where people would end combos at around 11% health remaining just to avoid rage, that can still apply here, and even if you don't want to go that route, you can go full damage and hypothetically leave them at around 5% health so that most pokes that hit them during the supers will kill.

Also, the only reason that I pressed the subject in the first place is because initially you only specifically mentioned meter management, not supers and comeback mechanics. Thank you for clarifying.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh god a double feature? I kind of would like Yams to get his own week, but if that's what the people want and if it fits the thread.

Up to you, Yams.

FGW | Anybody but Yams

Kappa

HV3iMpa.gif

alstein

Tekken purists are prob going to hate this idea, but I wonder how SamSho-style rage gauges would work in Tekken.

What I mean:
you get rage from getting hit
Ki Charge would change from what it does now to charging your rage like it did in SamSho3, Rage gain increases the lower in life you are
Rage lasts for a set time until it's gone or you land the supermove
Rage carries over between rounds

Rage gain rates are char specific- some chars get rage faster and lose it faster, some get it slower but keep it for a long time.

I think that would be a bit more interesting than what they have right now, but perhaps at the cost of some randomness that Tekken players won't like, and it would add a bit of strategy to the management.

Exr

I remember Dean Earwicker way back from the initial Tekken 4 announcement, but I also remember the name from Tekken 5. In the game's single player mode where you rank up against the AI, the name for Steve's Tekken Lord rank AI was "Dean Earwicker".

When I saw that in Tekken 5, I couldn't help but smile.
Yeah this always made me smile too. Some of those names can be surprising.

Manbig

Tekken purists are prob going to hate this idea, but I wonder how SamSho-style rage gauges would work in Tekken.

What I mean:
you get rage from getting hit
Ki Charge would change from what it does now to charging your rage like it did in SamSho3, Rage gain increases the lower in life you are
Rage lasts for a set time until it's gone or you land the supermove
Rage carries over between rounds

Rage gain rates are char specific- some chars get rage faster and lose it faster, some get it slower but keep it for a long time.

I think that would be a bit more interesting than what they have right now, but perhaps at the cost of some randomness that Tekken players won't like, and it would add a bit of strategy to the management.

My only real issue with something like that is that I believe that the last thing that Tekken needs is more access to damage boosts.

Also, rage management already has a pretty straight forward strategy. Just most people that play the game are bad about it. Bronson Tran has pointed out several times that one of the things that American tournament players are really bad at is Rage/Health management in Tag 2.

Prototype

People still playing MK9? Had a strange fit for it earlier today. Kinda missing Katana.

Also, do we need a new Samurai Shodown and a new Bloody Roar?

It was a great article and I truly respect Sirloin, but he often streaks with this pretension of authority on a subject he doesn't have. You can tell that his knowledge of Guilty Gear isn't where it needs to be to make some of the damning proclomations against AC/+R design decisions. I suspect he knows this on some level.

"I beat a bunch of asians by myself, once. I know what I'm talking about."

If that's not insecurity, I don't know what is.

He's much the same as me in that respect - we don't really concern ourselves with thinking about what we can say about a subject - we're both idea people, know what we know, think we're right and put it out there. We're also stubborn, blunt assholes which probably explains why we increasingly couldn't get along :p

I think his dislike for option selects mainly comes from the fact that he does not want the game to dictate his action for him...if that makes sense.

Like, Sirlin's gameplan would be to just commit to one option in any given situation, rather than do a option select. Like, he gets a knockdown and goes for a meaty throw. If the opponent backdashes, he'll get a 6HS and get punished, which is how he believes the game should "flow", so to speak. He doesn't want to input 6HS+P, and get a 6P when the opponent backdashes in that knockdown situation, when he intended to do a throw, even if it'll save his ass.

This here, pretty much. He has a vision for how the game should be, that he feels is "right", and invests himself into that. If he makes a logical argument, it's a rationalization trying to end up at the already-determined conclusion of his vision for how the game should be, not an exploration into uncharted territory to see what kind of game makes sense. It's why his arguments don't often make sense - he's grasping for something, not trying to build a sound logical structure as a first priority.

To use an analogy, he's not wandering around a forest, trying to figure what it's like he instead saw an awe-inspiring mountain in the distance before going into the woods and is now trying to find his way there. (All the above applies to me as well, if it helps any)

I want some filet mignon.

Agreed.

Regarding SF4 throw OS, which would you guys prefer? Punch taking priority over kick so we don't get lows out of the OS, or would you have throw techs not available for crouching inputs?

You should have to stand to tech throws, and ideally you shouldn't be able to bake a throw tech into fucking everything. But at least have the standing bit.

Sadly, it's impossible to fix it in SF4 with Onotool due to how the game's throw break system has been built.

FChamp has nothing on the one true god Justin Marvelous Wong.

Half the time I end up watching Marvel Justin ends up making some ridiculous one-character comeback he has no right to make, but succeeds in it anyway.

Stop voting for frauds, ya'll.

I vote Yams.

I was about to vote for Smedwicks but then at the last second Chris G won out in my mind.

I vote Yams-sama =v=
I hope you've been reading the giant list of manga I've sent you you turbo nerd

Oh god a double feature? I kind of would like Yams to get his own week, but if that's what the people want and if it fits the thread.

Up to you, Yams.

-=kicks smedgie boy=- Stop being bad.

God this hurts

Malice215

Kumite in Tennessee is the same weekend and has 7 (free) streams to pick from, last I checked.

My mistake. I thought it was the week after because KiT is what I will be watching.

Edit: I usually put the major events on my own personal calendar, and it's a pain in the ass trying to keep track of events, date changes, etc.

I decided to just make a public calendar for the major events for those who want to check it out that I plan on maintaining.

http://tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

pixelish

My mistake. I thought it was the week after because KiT is what I will be watching.

Edit: I usually put the major events on my own personal calendar, and it's a pain in the ass trying to keep track of events, date changes, etc.

I decided to just make a public calendar for the major events for those who want to check it out that I plan on maintaining.

http://tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

nice! just to add another event to your calendar, there's shadowloo showdown happening the week after apex (https://www.facebook.com/events/775702835826397/).

Malice215

nice! just to add another event to your calendar, there's shadowloo showdown happening the week after apex (https://www.facebook.com/events/775702835826397/).

I'm still transferring stuff from my old calendar to this new one, so I am just about to add it.

If there's anything else that people want to see added or have any suggestions/comments, just hit me up directly since I may not see it with the amount of posts this thread gets.

Email: maliceisgdlk@gmail.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaliceIsGDLK

I'm still transferring stuff from my old calendar to this new one, so I am just about to add it.

If there's anything else that people want to see added or have any suggestions/comments, just hit me up directly since I may not see it with the amount of posts this thread gets.

Email: maliceisgdlk@gmail.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MaliceIsGDLK

do you follow back tho.

also you can add CECC to that list. It's a toronto tournament.. just not sure when

Anime twitter is messed up. I watched a stream of a guy reading Sonic fan fiction (Yaoi) while D'angelo- Brown Sugar is playing in the background.

FGW | I watched a stream of a guy reading Sonic fan fiction (Yaoi) while D'angelo- Brown Sugar is playing in the background.

Top Bottom