• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

Anne

I'm just saying guys are only naming the people you get to see on streams all the time. People gonna find out real quick that the people that are gonna kill you you might not even know.

NEO0MJ

I'm just saying guys are only naming the people you get to see on streams all the time. People gonna find out real quick that the people that are gonna kill you you might not even know.

Maybe. I bet this series has a lot of low-key players. Still, shouldn't we expect a lot of already established BB players to be strong in this as well?

fader

I'm pretty sure most of those people they named were troll answers. I hope...

Sayad

Looking up KBNova/Kenji, he's pretty good. :eek:
Tried to check Q's stream/archive few times before but GAF members streams never work for me! It's probably the lack of low quality setting, but I usually have no problem watching big FGC streams in HD! Someone in the Xrd thread linked to a youtube Q match once, but it was obvious he wasn't playing seriously. ;p

>People not naming the best GG players in this thread
You don't get to say this without dropping some names. >__>

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I suck at GG

Maybe. I bet this series has a lot of low-key players. Still, shouldn't we expect a lot of already established BB players to be strong in this as well?

I've been playing since GG1 and honestly someone being good at BB doesn't mean it will transfer over towards GG. Though I feel going from GG to BB transfers fine. Kinda like how you could transfer from any SF game into 3rd strike and do fine but not from 3rd strike to any other SF game.

Ok so there's Q

and Daigo

and

Nope I got nothin

Daigo sucks at any GG that isn't XX.

Anne

No. Maybe guys like LK, but BB =/= GG at all. You might see a couple people transition well but it's completely different. Also a decent number of old "big name" GG players I expect to do worse because it's actually a new game, and this isn't 2006 anymore.

Anime scene is pretty whack, you'd be surprised by the things you don't get to see or the things you don't know cause times changed. A lot of attitudes suck too, so you'll hear a lot of things and people will get into a lot of shit about it, hence why I decided to just not mess with it recently.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
No. Maybe guys like LK, but BB =/= GG at all. You might see a couple people transition well but it's completely different. Also a decent number of old "big name" GG players I expect to do worse because it's actually a new game, and this isn't 2006 anymore.

Anime scene is pretty whack, you'd be surprised by the things you don't get to see or the things you don't know cause times changed. A lot of attitudes suck too, so you'll hear a lot of things and people will get into a lot of shit about it, hence why I decided to just not mess with it recently.

Yup to all three things.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Tried to check Q's stream/archive few times before but GAF members streams never work for me! It's probably the lack of low quality setting, but I usually have no problem watching big FGC streams in HD! Someone in the Xrd thread linked to a youtube Q match once, but it was obvious he wasn't playing seriously. ;p

I'll only play seriously if you beat me a few times otherwise Im dicking around trying things out to gain match up exp.

Edit: Woops double posted :p

fader

I'm really excited to see what KiT brings as a new GG spectator.

so far it's looking like an east coast tourny with known west coasters in GG. I'm not really expecting much but it should still be alright.
specially since we are only a month into Xrd

Manbig

Dumb question here, does Xrd use that Skullgirls patch to allow PS3 sticks to work on PS4? I want to pick up the PS4 version, but I can't really afford to buy another stick on top of that right now.

Anne

so far it's looking like an east coast tourny with known west coasters in GG. I'm not really expecting much but it should still be alright.
specially since we are only a month into Xrd

Expect Chicago. ElvenShadow, Zinac, and blackSNAKE are all strong.

There's a few southern players there to look out for, like Raekwon. This tournament is really light on EC, it's mostly a mix of MW and South so Idk what you're talking about.

NEO0MJ

I've been playing since GG1 and honestly someone being good at BB doesn't mean it will transfer over towards GG. Though I feel going from GG to BB transfers fine. Kinda like how you could transfer from any SF game into 3rd strike and do fine but not from 3rd strike to any other SF game.

I see. I was expecting to see some familiar names because both games probably attract a similar crowd.

The only thing I know about top anime players is that going from results the ones in my local scene are the top in the country, but that means shit overall in a worldwide scale what with the size of the scenes.

I need to remember to watch the KiT Xrd stream. I don't think I've watched any Xrds streams since it released. Should be fun.

Dai101

Banned
Don't you love ragequitters?

Last night i was playing STHDR and i meet a guy (GT: Xeno Feis Id and i just googled him and apparently he has already a rep) which i beat him at least 8 times or more and each and every time he quited as i landed the winning hit.

What a sore loser xD!! i just keep playing against him until i didn't see him anymore on the game.

Uraizen

Banned
or 2002

US GG scene is pretty lame right now. Most current players are people transitioning from other games. I'm hopping our FL GG scene rebuilds itself cause it's a fraction of what it used to be.

South FL around the Miami I'm guessing?

When I boot up BBCP tonight I expect the lobbies to be empty.

Just to be an ass, I'm going to idle in a lobby tonight to make sure you can't say that.

Exr

Kazunoko and Pepeday will be in my city for one day this month...I really want to play Pepeday if only to give him sober looks while he nails me with EX chest bump.

alstein

Last night i was playing STHDR and i meet a guy (GT: Xeno Feis Id and i just googled him and apparently he has already a rep) which i beat him at least 8 times or more and each and every time he quited as i landed the winning hit.

What a sore loser xD!! i just keep playing against him until i didn't see him anymore on the game.

HDR had the most ragequitters of any game I ever played. Sirlin didn't believe in penalizing ragequits, or didn't think it would be an issue.

Some things can be blamed on not getting a 2nd patch like he wanted though.

Infinite

I'm not going to lie if you asked me who are the best GG players in North America it would be met with a idk. That being said who should we be looking out for? This question is directed towards AnnelFrank but anyone can chime in

Azure J

Holy crap, Guile's theme is by Yoko Shimomura.

Shimomura, Masashi Hamauzu, Hideki Naganuma, the Sonic Team composers (Kenichi Tokoi & Marika Nanba specifically), Kenji Ito, Koji Kondo, & Mahito Yokota are elder god tier Japanese video game composers. If I see any of their names slapped on a project, my interest goes up tenfold.

Rhapsody

Banned

You don't get to say this without dropping some names. >__>

Playing GG GAF lobbies, I'm pretty confident there's quite a few people that don't really play seriously lol

There's a lot of messing around from everyone.

Shimomura, Masashi Hamauzu, Hideki Naganuma, the Sonic Team composers (Kenichi Tokoi & Marika Nanba specifically), Kenji Ito, Koji Kondo, & Mahito Yokota are elder god tier Japanese video game composers. If I see any of their names slapped on a project, my interest goes up tenfold.

you just earned a spot on my ignore list for not including Nobuo Uematsu

Kumubou

HDR had the most ragequitters of any game I ever played. Sirlin didn't believe in penalizing ragequits, or didn't think it would be an issue.

Some things can be blamed on not getting a 2nd patch like he wanted though.
Man, he was (and still is) so hilariously stubborn about certain things. I would wonder if he ever played a fighting game online with an attitude like that... except I know he did, and how he still saw it as a non-issue just baffles me.

However, a lot of ragequits in HDR... weren't. A fair number of them were due to the game's garbagola netcode. I know when I played I had a disconnect rate of around 20%, and it turned out a large part of that was due to the color I was using could cause desynchs online.... Don't ask why or how; it just did.

Man, ST:HDR was such a wasted opportunity. All that effort for some awful redrawn sprites, bad netcode and jank balancing. Think it might have soured people on the whole idea of revisiting classics like that, ugh.

you just earned a spot on my ignore list for not including Nobuo Uematsu
And I'll throw in some random h8h8h8h8 for forgetting Yuzo Koshiro, as well.

Dai101

Banned
Man, he was (and still is) so hilariously stubborn about certain things. I would wonder if he ever played a fighting game online with an attitude like that... except I know he did, and how he still saw it as a non-issue just baffles me.

However, a lot of ragequits in HDR... weren't. A fair number of them were due to the game's garbagola netcode. I know when I played I had a disconnect rate of around 20%, and it turned out a large part of that was due to the color I was using could cause desynchs online.... Don't ask why or how; it just did.

Man, ST:HDR was such a wasted opportunity. All that effort for some awful redrawn sprites, bad netcode and jank balancing. Think it might have soured people on the whole idea of revisiting classics like that, ugh.

I don't think the game is that bad (at least playing it in Classic Mode)

Sure. The redrawn sprites are goddamn awful and the re-balance really only fucked things up. But as i said before, playing it in classic is the best way and certainly the only (other than the HSF2 included in SF:Anniversary) way to play SSF2T online in consoles because really, the netcode isn't that bad either. At least i've never issues with it. Is not comparable with DarkStalkers Res. netcode wich is god-like but is really good.

Last two weeks of USF4 Ranked has been me winning with Honda U1 or Headbutt, and mid-animation they quit. I rarely had ragequitters and have been playing Ranked for a while, and all of a sudden I've had like 6 in a row. I dunno why they don't penalize people, but it sucks.

Marz

Last two weeks of USF4 Ranked has been me winning with Honda U1 or Headbutt, and mid-animation they quit. I rarely had ragequitters and have been playing Ranked for a while, and all of a sudden I've had like 6 in a row. I dunno why they don't penalize people, but it sucks.

They lose like 128 pp. So they are penalized.

Grakl

You should just buttslam, I got to like 2.5k pp just doing that

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Playing GG GAF lobbies, I'm pretty confident there's quite a few people that don't really play seriously lol

There's a lot of messing around from everyone.
Pretty much, I enjoy taking it easy and not playing super serious mostly cause I don't have to lol

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Have they composed music for any games recently? It boggles me how Guiles theme really does go everything.

Top Bottom