• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

『Inaba Resident』;164319260 said:
This is the 3rd game in a row. Its 2015 and this is a triple A game published by Warner Bros. No excuse whatsoever for the netcode to be as bad as it is.
The answer is simple: NRS doesn't give a shit.

I really like MKX but I'm surprised how it seems strangely done on the coding side. Like why would you put the frame data by hand when you could just write a function that reads your character frame data files and display them without any error? Even if that was complicated to do, all other games (some from small companies) are able to do it so...? Maybe there's a benefit to do it this way that I can't think of?

Anyway if all the game is revolving around strange coding/design decisions like the frame data thing, it's not surprising the network side has problems. Is NRS using a middleware from a third party company or coding their own?

Kumubou

I really like MKX but I'm surprised how it seems strangely done on the coding side. Like why would you put the frame data by hand when you could just write a function that reads your character frame data files and display them without any error? Even if that was complicated to do, all other games (some from small companies) are able to do it so...? Maybe there's a benefit to do it this way that I can't think of?

Anyway if all the game is revolving around strange coding/design decisions like the frame data thing, it's not surprising the network side has problems. Is NRS using a middleware from a third party company or coding their own?
To my understanding, the frame data for moves is not explicitly defined as such in most games. From the games I've seen taken apart, the game stores the animation and hitbox data for the moves, and the frame data is just a natural consequence of that. That's why I suspect most games that have frame data displays (VF5:FS, DoA5, Skullgirls, etc.) only show it on the fly.

There's also another reason why to calculate the frame data on the fly: it'll be correct in dynamic situations, so it'll show the adjusted data for things like meaties and jump-in attacks.

Anne

Kumu is pretty right on how frame data is usually a thing. It's something I've seen a ton where backroom files are passed around trying to get resources built up.

Also, about Japan holding tournament games, those games are still dead as shit in Japan, they just have machines around and the players will sometimes be like"let's have a fun tournament." In a few cases some old games survive a bit in the since they get play nights, I watch Project Justice ones a lot on Kohatsu, but they're "dead" in the sense nobody new is playing, and there won't be anything serious or competitive really. Now, some games do survive longer that is for sure, and you can play almost anything, but that doesn't mean stuff is magically alive lol

A game isn't dead when people stop playing it, it's dead when competition stops developing and moving and being meaningful. In the case of something like Marvel it's not like that yet, but it's slowed down to about where you'd expect.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Lone Dragon, you can throw a tournament for any old game and still have people play in it. That doesn't mean those games aren't dead though. Dead in this context means an active or thriving scene. TMNT Tournament Fighters is dead, but people still bring a setup to evo. Same with Ehrgeiz, same with Hyper Fighting, same with SamSho1, etc.

Marvel is dying, as I said before, because everything has already been figured out. Everyone already knows who the best players are, the best teams, and the best setups. I'm not saying the game isn't all of a sudden going to stop seeing attendance overnight, but numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster at Sacrifice.

Well marvel is dying but I wouldn't say EVERYTHING has already been figured out. There are other characters that people barely play like RR, Chun-li, Thor, etc. that still have a lot of tech left in them that people are still discovering today. Plus one touch death combos with them too.

Tripon

Well marvel is dying but I wouldn't say EVERYTHING has already been figured out. There are other characters that people barely play like RR, Chun-li, Thor, etc. that still have a lot of tech left in them that people are still discovering today. Plus one touch death combos with them too.

Eh, not every game needs to explored. Eventually, I hope Capcom makes another VS type game, even if its just contains Capcom characters with no other licensee, but its okay to not explore every minute detail of a game.

NEO0MJ

At this stage I wonder if they'll be anything more than nice gimmicks. The top are just too good and solid.

Kinda weird to think that this will be the last year SF4 is at Evo.

Did they confirm that?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Eh, not every game needs to explored. Eventually, I hope Capcom makes another VS type game, even if its just contains Capcom characters with no other licensee, but its okay to not explore every minute detail of a game.

I'm hoping for the same too, I doubt Ono is working on only one project and developers always have something under the hood being cooked up. Hopefully a potential successor to the versus series hasn't been cancelled on their end and they are working hard on making one ;_;

At this stage I wonder if they'll be anything more than nice gimmicks. The top are just too good and solid.?

Yeah, Wong, Champ, Chris are the gods.

Slayers are Full Schedule, Cloud805 and Rayray. Those six have a very strong chance of making it into Top 8 again this year if everything/seeding works in their favor. I would include Flocker and PR Rog but they haven't done all too well in Marvel recently or haven't just appeared on stream.

mbpm1

I'm hoping for the same too, I doubt Ono is working on only one project and developers always have something under the hood being cooked up. Hopefully a potential successor to the versus series hasn't been cancelled on their end and they are working hard on making one ;_;

Forget it Yams, it's Street Fighter Town

Dahbomb

Chun Li sucks and will always suck.

SF4 will be at EVO 2016 and depending on the numbers, it could be out of EVO by 2017. It will definitely be in EVO 2016 because EVO announces their line up very early and SFV won't be out yet.

A lot of people hating in that Yahoo article.

Anne

but guitar infinites

Is no one even considering the possibility that streetfighter five might suck? I mean if it's a total bomb, then streetfighter four will have no problem being around for a very long time. A lot of people thought SfxT was going to kill it.

Most sensible people are very aware of it, especially after SFxT. Still, considering it's the direct sequel to the juggernaut and bread bringer of the FGC, it's a good idea to plan for it having a major place

zlatko

Banned
Is no one even considering the possibility that streetfighter five might suck? I mean if it's a total bomb, then streetfighter four will have no problem being around for a very long time. A lot of people thought SfxT was going to kill it.

Dahbomb

Capcom is going to keep patching it until it's in a good place. They have a bigger stake for SFV especially with Sony being involved.

Nowadays with enough post release changes a bad game can be made into a good game.

vocab

As it is, it looks terrible. I have no hope unless it somehow blows me away gameplay wise.

Horseress

Capcom is going to keep patching it until it's in a good place. They have a bigger stake for SFV especially with Sony being involved.

Nowadays with enough post release changes a bad game can be made into a good game.

That happened to SfxT

When it became a good
best ever
game, it was too late

BadWolf

Nope, to me it looks very promising so far.

Dahbomb

That happened to SfxT

When it became a good
best ever
game, it was too late
SFxT came out when SF4 was already there and established... it was also too similar to SF4 and look/feel. Capcom wasn't pushing SFxT to replace SF4 whereas now Capcom and Sony will be pushing for SFV to replace SF4 and be the forefront of major FGC events.

Watch when the big prize pots are announced for SFV and people start reducing SF4 practice time to invest in SFV.

fader

I agree, but "Competitively" the game is figured out.

There may be alot of creative tech left in the game but those wont win tournaments for you.

Anne

I'm more concerned about having PS4 Ultra being a thing at events before it's announced. In all reality it should be a fine and maybe even smoother version, but an update caused the current one to randomly cause consoles to explode so I'm kind of curious what we do if the PS4 version starts turning machines into terminators.

Justin looks so tiny in that Evo 2011 pic.

I think their excuse is that people buy the game anyway.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I tend to think Ed Boon is a lot like Ono. They actually love the games they make, and love what they do. It's more than just a product to them, it's a creative endeavor. I would actually love to hear Boon comment on this situation.

Skilletor

Nah, I don't think there's been an outright bad SF yet.

And SFxT is awesome...sooo... No, no worries.

To my understanding, the frame data for moves is not explicitly defined as such in most games. From the games I've seen taken apart, the game stores the animation and hitbox data for the moves, and the frame data is just a natural consequence of that. That's why I suspect most games that have frame data displays (VF5:FS, DoA5, Skullgirls, etc.) only show it on the fly.

There's also another reason why to calculate the frame data on the fly: it'll be correct in dynamic situations, so it'll show the adjusted data for things like meaties and jump-in attacks.

That's very interesting, thanks for the explanation. As for how it's done I may be wrong but I remember mike live coding SG and he had the characters' files with variables named quite explicitly: hitstun, blockstun, etc... He may be an exception.

Also maybe they only show it on the fly because... It's more practical to use the move and have the info than reading a list? Besides, you could probably simulate the move being read and then show the result in a menu if you wanted?

zlatko

Banned
Genuinely the most exciting thing to me for streetfighter five is going to be Ono on stage at E3 this year.

I Love that man. He's so passionate.

Plus the .gif potential ......

Horseress

SFxT came out when SF4 was already there and established... it was also too similar to SF4 and look/feel. Capcom wasn't pushing SFxT to replace SF4 whereas now Capcom and Sony will be pushing for SFV to replace SF4 and be the forefront of major FGC events.

I meant likeness-wise. People HATED vanilla Sfxt, and didn't gave it a new chance after the v2013 update.

Coda

I don't see how people can say SF V looks bad. I personally think it looks great so far (maybe a bit slow) but it's hard to tell when so much of the footage is unfinished and unpolished.

I like that they finally realize that animation can make a fighting game look more "real." I think SF IV has a very cartoony and plastic like look so I'm glad they are still keeping the color and Capcom style while making it a touch more gritty.

The game play looks great too, it looks like it really plays off of mind games and out footsing your opponent. Either way I'm mega hyped for it, SF IV has grown a little stale for me these days. I'll get back on the steed when it comes out on PS4 but I really want to explore a new Capcom fighting game, it's been too long now.

Also, please give me R. Mika Capcom....please!

Skilletor

Let's just pretend previous versions of the ones we like don't exist and maybe this works.

I stand by my statement as I said it. Newer versions came out and may have made the older ones seem bad by comparison, but I don't believe any SF released yet is bad.

sikvod00

Banned
Nintendo wishes its Smash sequels could have the same (relatively) non-resistant transition that Capcom will have with USF4 to SFV. Rofl. Melee ain't going away anytime soon unless it's done by coercion from tournaments or the company itself. And why should they when majors still boast impressive numbers?

Dahbomb

I meant likeness-wise. People HATED vanilla Sfxt, and didn't gave it a new chance after the v2013 update.
Like I said it's a different situation to SFV. SFxT was always viewed as a side game to SF4 especially for dedicated SF players. If SFxT ended up being bad, that's cool they had SF4.

With SFV it's different. Players are going to keep playing the game for a long while before they deem it truly shit. During that time Capcom can easily make changes along the way. In addition, you have to realize that SFV will have a beta which will definitely pick up on these problems sooner rather than later. SFxT had no real beta, it had Cross Assault which was another thing it had going against it.

Many people are just waiting for SFV to drop SF4. Tokido has said this on more than one occasion... some players are just getting tired of SF4 and want SFV already. They are ready to make the jump.

Think of it like going from MVC2 to TvC vs going to MVC3 and it will make more sense. People want an iterative upgrade, not a sidegrade.

Anne

I just wanna point out plenty of games had betas and turned out to be awful, and some games have had many patches and continue to be awful. There's seriously no reason why it can't just be not good enough.

Horseress

Like I said it's a different situation to SFV. SFxT was always viewed as a side game to SF4 especially for dedicated SF players. If SFxT ended up being bad, that's cool they had SF4.

With SFV it's different. Players are going to keep playing the game for a long while before they deem it truly shit. During that time Capcom can easily make changes along the way. In addition, you have to realize that SFV will have a beta which will definitely pick up on these problems sooner rather than later. SFxT had no real beta, it had Cross Assault which was another thing it had going against it.

The game is not even close to be released and there's already people saying "it looks like shit", imagine if it launches and....it is shit! I agree that it's not the same thing, since SFV is a whole new SF, but still, a first bad impressions can ruin a game. I don't think it's going to happen tho, and people will indeed give it a lot more chances then they gave sfxt, since, again, it's a whole new SF

And thank god for this beta they are planning to launch! This gives me the most hopes on a good/amazing netcode and a great game in general.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Forget it Yams, it's Street Fighter Town

I know... I forget everyone here is sponsored by Capcom.
/s

She sucks cause of her damage output and wakeup options but people can make her work.

Genuinely the most exciting thing to me for streetfighter five is going to be Ono on stage at E3 this year.

I Love that man. He's so passionate.

Plus the .gif potential ......

ono.jpg

ECT news.

MKX being the main game?

zlatko

Banned
ECT news.

I hope this is the first of many. He puts on a great stream. I also hope he has a bunch of guys watching his stuff at all times. Theft is so high right now, and everyone knows he has invested tons of money and his equipment.

Pompadour

The game is not even close to be released and there's already people saying "it looks like shit", imagine if it launches and....it is shit! I agree that it's not the same thing, since SFV is a whole new SF, but still, a first bad impressions can ruin a game. I don't think it's going to happen tho, and people will indeed give it a lot more chances then they gave sfxt, since, again, it's a whole new SF

And thank god for this beta they are planning to launch! This gives me the most hopes on a good/amazing netcode and a great game in general.

Lots of people said SF4 looked like shit prior to release and that didn't seem to affect its lasting popularity. I can confidently say every fighting game has a healthy contingent of people who call it shit before it is even released. This seems to be the only genre where it's common to see fans extol literally one specific version of one specific fighting game as worthy of being played while every other game in the genre is hot, putrid garbage.

If V is shit, it's shit but right now that claim means nothing.

Coda

I don't think I'll ever like an Mortal Kombat game again. I'm sorry but I've tried to get into MK again and again but I just hate Netherrealm fighting games (although I did like Injustice a bit). They're just so cheesy and silly to me, it goes beyond the fighting game as a core, the menus, everything. I don't think it's necessarily a bad game, it just doesn't resonate with me at all.

Street Fighter is always a monumental fighter to me. Every time a new one is released, the epicness and hype are always huge.

Sayad

That happened to SfxT

When it became a good
best ever
game, it was too late
I guess that's why SFV have a beta, that and pre-orders.

Speaking of which, beta code as a pre-order bonus is the only pre-order bonus I wont mind, you just get to play early for paying early and it takes nothing from the final game. Watch Capcom ruin it with pre-order costumes and/or colors though.

Top Bottom