• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Sayad

Regarding E3:

hlylzm.gif
Bloodborne DLC
Devil May Cry 5
The Last Guardian
Metal Gear Rising 2
King of Fighters 14
GT7
Dragon Quest 11
SFV mechanics reveal
Final Fantasy XVI
Resident Evil 7
Deep Down re-introduced
Fallout 4
The new Hitman game
New Red Dead
Surprise 1st party AAA new IP game that will drop jaws

#BELIEVE

King of Fighters 14

#BELIEVE

I honestly think kof wouldn't appear at this type of event but an asian event I can see an announcement. QQ has been throwing money at Kof for a bit, with Xuandou Zhiwang and putting kof games on their network. They also did some promotional stuff. I think Asia is the much more likely target market if you expect anything kof.

It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

...dig deep, get creative and vent on what things would be really useful to have that for some reason we don't yet. Sometimes folks don't know what needs added until someone points out the little stuff.

Deathmatching for online. In Tekken arcades, you'll often see two players at the same rank go at it until one gets promoted or demoted. I'd like to see that kind of play for home. Obviously it can be abused by boosters, but boosters are ALREADY abusing the system as it is; I don't feel like something fun should be ignored because of boosters.

If that's too much to ask for, I'd at least like a two-out-of-three option. I know KI already has something like this, but more games need it.

Azure J

It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

...dig deep, get creative and vent on what things would be really useful to have that for some reason we don't yet. Sometimes folks don't know what needs added until someone points out the little stuff.

I liked the idea (I think Kimo) mentioned in a previous FGW where each character has a in game "community hub" that shares tech/replays/commentary on said character's meta and development.

I also really like the idea of bridging the gap between people just messing around in a fight and the tournament players via connected "highlights" style reels that would be presented through the game's elements.

NEO0MJ

I, for one, am ready for another Last Guardian thread where Y2Kev shits on everyone dumb enough to BELIEVE.

I'm waiting for Ueda to announce a kickstarter for the Final Sentinel.

I liked the idea (I think Kimo) mentioned in a previous FGW where each character has a in game "community hub" that shares tech/replays/commentary on said character's meta and development./QUOTE]

That would be awesome, though it will need good moderation to keep things clean and up to date.

Sayad

I honestly think kof wouldn't appear at this type of event but an asian event I can see an announcement. QQ has been throwing money at Kof for a bit, with Xuandou Zhiwang and putting kof games on their network. They also did some promotional stuff. I think Asia is the much more likely target market if you expect anything kof.
Last thing I heard in relation to KoF was some Chinese "chicken farming" company negotiating an SNK acquisition. KoF at E3 is a joke obviously, this deal going through would give me more hope for KoF future than things staying as they are with SNK right now.

Dahbomb

Since my last thing didn't count.

I want more and better spectate options in fighting games. Not just spectate in Lobbies or your friends but the game should display ongoing matches that you can parse through by ranking and then start spectating. So say you look for S rank matches online and you see Justin Wong playing it, then you shoukd be able to enter the game and view it. Or follow a player and view his online games from within the game, not just have to resort to watching him play on Twitch.

I also want a better collection of replay databases. Matches should be stored online via cloud with their replay codes and everything. So I can look at a bunch of high level matches of a particular character being played online.

Also the stuff that someone posted already with community hub featuring guides/analysis by community members for the game and its characters that are displayed within the game in a separate section. So I can look for BnBs linked within the game rather than going online to search for them. Basically like DOTA 2 has hero guides with item/skill builds that you can overlay on to your current game and save it.

Basically copy/paste the stuff that DOTA 2 already does.

It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

A tournament mode that's been CurlyW'd to death.
For training mode, make recording work like in Xrd, but make it so it doesn't random between all recordings. Instead have tickboxes to include a recording in the random playback lottery and ability to assign a frequency to it - ie. Low mixup record on high frequency, frame trap string on medium, tic throw and overhead strings on low frequency.

fader

TDIL:

All of Sagat's close kicks are 2 hits because he is a muay thai fighter and he hits with his knee first then does a kick

Lone Dragon, you can throw a tournament for any old game and still have people play in it. That doesn't mean those games aren't dead though. Dead in this context means an active or thriving scene. TMNT Tournament Fighters is dead, but people still bring a setup to evo. Same with Ehrgeiz, same with Hyper Fighting, same with SamSho1, etc.

Marvel is dying, as I said before, because everything has already been figured out. Everyone already knows who the best players are, the best teams, and the best setups. I'm not saying the game isn't all of a sudden going to stop seeing attendance overnight, but numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster at Sacrifice.

Actually, I think the entire activity of trying to declare games "dead" or "thriving" misses the point. The exercise itself is harmful to the entire community.

MKX came out, and instead of celebrating a new popular game, everyone is arguing about bullsh*t.

"Look! MKX stream numbers are higher, SF4 is dead!"

"No, SF4 stream numbers are high, too! It's not dead, MKX will die in a few months!"

"KI tourney numbers are dying, DOA should have taken its place at EVO."

"Nobody plays DOA, it's dead."

We have troll articles on SRK front page weekly trying to get everyone on the MKX hype train, while simultaneously trying to crap on SF4 ("Move over SF4! MKX is headlining ECT!")

We have troll EH articles ranking games by their tourney entry numbers, and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, the comment section is filled with members of the same fighting game "community" tearing each other apart.

Meanwhile, in Japan you can easily find weekly streams of old games, new games, 2D games, 3D games, and everything in between. They just play. And, as a result they just get good at everything.
Not just some guy bringing a setup to EVO once a year. Mikado arcade, for example, has an ongoing ranking league for all sorts of old games. Mikado, in general, is just awesome: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrifqgoJmq7UgmRkZUKTJQ

Heck, Japan just had a huge UMvC3 tourney a couple weeks back, while people in the US were proclaiming Marvel dead.

I think the Western FGC "death" culture needs to, well....die. It doesn't have to be this way, at all.

Dahbomb

Oh my gawd how the hell have I missed this glorious by Viscant session at UFGTX all this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc30fIs2tQQ

It was made a year ago but it's as relevant today as it was a year ago. He basically marks exactly where the shift from "Marvel is hype... 2nd only to SF4!" to "Marvel is dead" happened and he blames it directly on when Capcom officially announced there would be no patch. He even brings up some of the changes recommended in the GAF theory patch (Wesker Jaguar teleport cancel was my idea!).

Also some choice quotes in there like:

"PRRog trashes the game a lot in public and states he doesn't play it much but in fact he plays the game a lot. He told me in private "Jay... Marvel is my favorite game!"

ShinMaruku

Actually, I think the entire activity of trying to declare games "dead" or "thriving" misses the point. The exercise itself is harmful to the entire community.

MKX came out, and instead of celebrating a new popular game, everyone is arguing about bullsh*t.

"No, SF4 stream numbers are high, too! It's not dead, MKX will die in a few months!"

We have troll articles on SRK front page weekly trying to get everyone on the MKX hype train, while simultaneously trying to crap on SF4 ("Move over SF4! MKX is headlining ECT!")

We have troll EH articles ranking games by their tourney entry numbers, and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, the comment section is filled with members of the same fighting game "community" tearing each other apart.

Meanwhile, in Japan you can easily find weekly streams of old games, new games, 2D games, 3D games, and everything in between. They just play. And, as a result they just get good at everything.
Not just some guy bringing a setup to EVO once a year. Mikado arcade, for example, has an ongoing ranking league for all sorts of old games. Mikado, in general, is just awesome: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPrifqgoJmq7UgmRkZUKTJQ

Heck, Japan just had a huge UMvC3 tourney a couple weeks back, while people in the US were proclaiming Marvel dead.

I think the Western FGC "death" culture needs to, well....die. It doesn't have to be this way, at all.
Let's be honest the FGC proper don't give two fucks about DOA. :p

Dahbomb

The Marvel scene would be better off hacking the game like Smash and attempting to rebalance it.
PS3/360 need to be in a state where it's easier to hack and do the changes. It's not in that state yet as far as I know.

Besides the game isn't as awful as Brawl where it needs to be changed so drastically. Like what I mean by that is, the game is still highly competitive in its current state and introducing another version right now would just divide the player base even further with this newer version being completely forgotten or pushed to the side.

And of course not to mention the C&D shit that might be issued by Marvel. Maybe in 5 years people can attempt it but right now... no way.

The Marvel scene would be better off hacking the game like Smash and attempting to rebalance it.

It's trivial to get a bunch of systems prepped to play Project M. Good luck getting that many consoles to run a hacked UMvC3, if you can even hack the game half as easily as the former.

rookiejet

It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

This is my list:

Some ideas to improve community and meta integration in fighting game clients:

- Create editorial (a meta and community blog a la hearthstonetopdecks.com) that commentates on the happenings in the game's competitive meta (e.g. what's the new tech? who's coming up the ranks? what's happened in the most recent hype tournament?) EDIT: and feature it front and center in the game's client
- Seed online tournaments and seasonal events (like the monthly ranking race that's done for Hearthstone). Make it enticing for people to participate in the competition; give them awards, badges, etc
- Universally record and archive match data online. And make that a guideline for offline events as well, with those players using their own profiles (on a usb device of sorts, which can also include their button settings, colors, EDIT: and DLC(!) etc) so that other players can look up their matches easily from within the client
- Make it possible to spectate and follow players (without them having to be on your friends list) within the game client. For example, this shows on your feed: so and so beat this high-ranked player recently, click on it to watch the replay

And extension of that into training mode:
- Allow users to import a setup or scenario from a recorded match into the dummy trainer so they can easily practice it. Similarly, allow importing combos into a free-form challenge-mode-like combo trainer
- Have an online library for user-shared combos and setups, rated and curated by the community, to easily access in the combo and setup trainer

I'm guessing we probably have some of those in KI already. I have yet to check out that game.

fader

beautiful read

mbpm1

May be that it's not just an FGC thing. Maybe we just are inclined to view things as alot more disposable in general in the West.

AAK

Nice seeing Oneida and Vulva at Toryuken! Was a super hype tournament outside of the power outages.

Thanks again for the Wolf rundown Oneida! It did wonders against MaidMan. Even though I lost 3-0, every match was last game, last round, last hit. Was a ton of fun was my favorite match out of any of the 3 games I entered for!

shaowebb

Been trying to come up with the best Kaijin no Soki team for Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars today.

Soki's thing is that he has really long range attacks, armor and a neat counter. He is pretty slow on startup so in general you put him second so that he starts with meter for his good stuff. Why build a team for this guy?

Because Soki, for those who didn't play TVC, has a transformed state that has PERMANENT SUPER ARMOR.

If you get Soki's lvl 3 he transforms him into his demon form and gives him a completely new gauge. In this form your attacks put out orbs and by pressing the assist button you can absorb them (in this mode you cannot use assists).

The mode counts down your meter until its gone but the orbs he absorb can help him a lot. There are 3 kinds...yellow, blue and red.
  • Yellow restores his HEALTH
  • Blue fills his meter and depletes opponent meter so that he can stay in Demon Form longer and so that his opponents lose meter and potentially can't combo break him (megacrash)
  • Red fills his new gauge.

When Soki has his red gauge full in this mode he can perform for the cost of whatever meter is left a new Super called Oni Cutter that does a two hit strike with both his swords and then a follow up for enormous damage. It almost kills full health characters :O

Plus if you just want to let it rock and stay super armored for awhile you can cancel into his level 1 super "Blade of Purification" and generate a shitload of orbs that way instead and keep letting it rock with armor.Only thing he is weak to is throws in this state but thats minor to a guy with armor and huge range with counters, an OTG super and a respectable damage.

Top candidate so far is to use Megaman Volnutt since he has great meter build with his zoning and since his machine gun super lets him lock opponents down long enough for DHC into Soki's other super "Oni Tactics". That super has 3 charges so having your opponent locked down a long while so you can charge the lvl 3 is crucial and Volnutt lets you do this. The Lvl 3 charge hits harder than some 3 bar supers, the lvl 2 does a stun into an overhead, and lvl 1 is just a wallbounce.

In general, Soki is armor gone crazy and if you have a good battery on point to build him he could potentially destroy anyone he wants because of Demon transformation going through so much and because it helps gimp meter to lockout mega crash.

Here's a segment showing his OTG super, Oni Cutter Variants, Demon Transformation, and Oni Cutter

zlatko

Banned
It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

1) Player cards to be fully fan made ala Battlefield. I know it opens the door for people to make penis and boob drawings, but the communities also make a variety of cool things too when given this opportunity.

2) Make the games a platform of sorts to fully connect its community. What that means is what others have been asking for: Main page to connect straight to streams, and streams of tournaments. Direct links to channels by top players from the leaderboards. Links to youtube videos the fanbase creates for tutorials that get the Capcom thumbs up approval.

3) A ranking system just like Starcraft 2 for ranked matches.

4) Lobby matches such as KOTH to have between rounds "tip advice" from people within the lobby. So, after round 1 you getting bopped, people can during the round pick canned phrases such as "Stop jumping so much" "Block more" "Don't use shoryuken" "HK for better footsies!" etc. That way between the round a quick "flash" happens that is 3 seconds long where you see these phrases display, and then back to Round 2, fight!

This would be great to improving players as they fight. Some people don't know WHAT to do to adjust, so this may be a good coach in the ear. Of course players could troll and pick the worst options to keep getting you rekt, but meh, it'd be fun to experiment with.

That's all I can think of for now.

Kenturoxx

Been trying to come up with the best Kaijin no Soki team for Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars today.

Soki's thing is that he has really long range attacks, armor and a neat counter. He is pretty slow on startup so in general you put him second so that he starts with meter for his good stuff. Why build a team for this guy?

Because Soki, for those who didn't play TVC, has a transformed state that has PERMANENT SUPER ARMOR.

If you get Soki's lvl 3 he transforms him into his demon form and gives him a completely new gauge. In this form your attacks put out orbs and by pressing the assist button you can absorb them (in this mode you cannot use assists).

The mode counts down your meter until its gone but the orbs he absorb can help him a lot. There are 3 kinds...yellow, blue and red.
  • Yellow restores his HEALTH
  • Blue fills his meter and depletes opponent meter so that he can stay in Demon Form longer and so that his opponents lose meter and potentially can't combo break him (megacrash)
  • Red fills his new gauge.

When Soki has his red gauge full in this mode he can perform for the cost of whatever meter is left a new Super called Oni Cutter that does a two hit strike with both his swords and then a follow up for enormous damage. It almost kills full health characters :O

Plus if you just want to let it rock and stay super armored for awhile you can cancel into his level 1 super "Blade of Purification" and generate a shitload of orbs that way instead and keep letting it rock with armor.Only thing he is weak to is throws in this state but thats minor to a guy with armor and huge range with counters, an OTG super and a respectable damage.

Top candidate so far is to use Megaman Volnutt since he has great meter build with his zoning and since his machine gun super lets him lock opponents down long enough for DHC into Soki's other super "Oni Tactics". That super has 3 charges so having your opponent locked down a long while so you can charge the lvl 3 is crucial and Volnutt lets you do this. The Lvl 3 charge hits harder than some 3 bar supers, the lvl 2 does a stun into an overhead, and lvl 1 is just a wallbounce.

In general, Soki is armor gone crazy and if you have a good battery on point to build him he could potentially destroy anyone he wants because of Demon transformation going through so much and because it helps gimp meter to lockout mega crash.

Here's a segment showing his OTG super, Oni Cutter Variants, Demon Transformation, and Oni Cutter
His jab online was a fucking nightmare. I still have no idea how the character works other than jab jab jab jab jab super

fader

Reminds me of this

as a game, Skullgirls is a great fighting game. It does a lot of what people want in a fighting game including netcode. Characters and are just lame. I barely like one of the characters in that game, when I first started playing I was battling with myself of which of my heads actually liked that nurse lady.

It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

I want a training mode where you can set the dummy to do certain inputs in certain situations. All of the replay input settings I know are timer-based. I want options like "After exiting blockstun, try to DP". It is too hard to practice specific situations without a friend right now.

shaowebb

His jab online was a fucking nightmare. I still have no idea how the character works other than jab jab jab jab jab super

I honestly think we would have seen more people use Soki had it not been for the fact that the combo breakers cost 2 bars of meter and folks never spent meter on anything else. 3 bars for permanent super armor, heals, meter gimping/gains, and a oneshot kill move is insane.

Speaking of insane I just looked up Hurricane Polimar's show from the 70's...I just saw Polimar elbow a man 4 times in the throat, break another guys collarbone then proceed to throw a half a dozen strikes into it afterwards, then turn into a truck to run over a man then back up to run him back over and teabag him afterwards.

Polimar is straight up ruthless. I've never seen someone go off like that guy with just straight up hitting a man repeatedly after they are down.

The show made me remember something very important due to this...
GOkvUIL.gif

as a game, Skullgirls is a great fighting game. It does a lot of what people want in a fighting game including netcode. Characters and are just lame. I barely like one of the characters in that game, when I first started playing I was battling with myself of which of my heads actually liked that nurse lady.
I know the feeling, but I don't care if the game that gives us all the bells and whistles is Arcana Heart. If EXAMU gave us a fully featured fighting game with custom GGPO settings, spectating options, lobby settings, teaching tools and streaming interfaces that are far beyond anything current fighting games offer I'd buy the shit out of it to send a message to the people with actual clout. It shouldn't be too much of a big deal considering how many fad games people spend their hard earned money on in this particular genre. I only say this because SG is super cheap compared to boxed retail releases, though. Capcom and Netherrealm can be told a million times that we want GGPO or some other amazing feature, but if the only games that implement it can't make big mainstream waves there is no use. If we go by sales the big companies must be giving the customer exactly what they want.

The old song and dance kind of gets tiring after a few years so I'll just go back to my dusty old niche games when I'm not playing SG.
I want a training mode where you can set the dummy to do certain inputs in certain situations. All of the replay input settings I know are timer-based. I want options like "After exiting blockstun, try to DP". It is too hard to practice specific situations without a friend right now.
This sounds possible, but I bet it is a ton of work.
Every fighting game feels like it's got the pieces to do real well but nobody ever puts it all together.
Not everyone has the luxury of having Ryu, Scorpion or Batman for their roster. Doing 50% as well as any of the main entries in these series would certainly send a message, though. I'm reminded of NFL 2K5 scaring EA and the NFL so much that we ended up with an exclusivity contract. Luckily for us no company in this genre has or will ever have such power, so there is plenty of room to innovate if people actually decide to open their wallets in a big way.

LegatoB

It's really easy to romanticize the state of Japan's scene from afar. Great, one (awesome) arcade in Metro Tokyo has leagues/events for small games that can draw a dozen or two people. No, seriously, that's great. That's not really a trick that works in areas with lower density, like, you know, pretty much all of the US, and where semi-public spaces where you can haul in consoles and monitors and controllers are limited.

Top Bottom