• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Dahbomb

She sucks cause of her damage output and wakeup options but people can make her work.
No she does not suck because of damage... her damage is fine and her wake up options are in fact among the best in the game (like 3 different forms of reversals, very hard to actually rush her down).

She sucks because her high low game kinda sucks and she can't do much about chicken blocking. Her cr.L isn't a low. Her air dash is also very linear, you know how she is going to approach which makes her easy to zone out. Her pressures is mediocre which makes it easy to just push block and get her off you.

She has no good way to capitalize a hit from super jump into a full combo... a necessarily tool these days for good characters. She has no good way to get around Missiles zoning pressure either. Her normals don't contest some of the better normals in the game... she has worse normals than even Wesker (who is like the base level for good normals in the game).

Her super options are generally terrible as well, she has no safe hyper which makes her only playable as a point character. Her lockdown assist isn't that good, if you are using her just for the lockdown assist there are better options in the game.

At the end of the day, she's a rushdown character with a weak low game, weak pressure, weak normals and minimal ways to get it. Why would anyone play her over Wolverine? Hell why would anyone play her over X23?

Can you wreck teams with her? Of course you can... this is MVC3, with the exception of Hsien Ko just about any character can wreck a team if they get their game going or if they land a hit. However, because better options exist in the game there is little to no reason to use a character like Chun Li in the game. It's like the Iron Man syndrome.

Seyavesh

chun's cr.l is a low now, it's one of the ultimate changes

but it doesnt matter cuz of the rest of the things said

even in favorable positions she's still extremely questionable regardless

in marvel, if your character is not "situationally dangeorus" then they are straight up bad. even mid tier characters are "situationally dangerous", it's simply that they don't have the tools to easily set up those situations against better characters

her high/low game does exist to some degree if you magically get them locked down but even then it's wildly questionable given the chances of her forcing a lockdown scenario. so the position where she is dangerous is extremely unlikely and even worse, doesn't lead to even more dangerous situations (for incoming mixups->game winning state)

marvel is "figured out" because people have already discovered what characters are most often in position to be dangerous and how to exploit those situations for maximum effect. the rest is simply people not choosing the best competitive option available for the varying reasons that are out there. there are unexplored options that are good, but the truth is that even if they provide the objective threat level to counter one top character/team, it's highly unlikely they will do so for the others due to the wide spectrum of options that is covered by the best characters in the game

Something must have changed with USF4 PC. Out of nowhere, with no patches being done or anything, the game plays amazingly online.

There are still some lingering issues with lag, but matches are either fully amazing or suffer from very odd delayed inputs the whole time. Beforehand, every match was horrible, with insane desyncs and all over the place bouts of lag, smooth, lag, smooth.

This might actually get me playing it again. And maybe they could share their tech with High Voltage Studios to sort out that damned MKX port.

Dahbomb

chun's cr.l is a low now, it's one of the ultimate changes
What? You are shitting me right?

I checked online and on pretty much every database her cr.L is listed as not a low. Need some clarification here...

Many people are just waiting for SFV to drop SF4. Tokido has said this on more than one occasion... some players are just getting tired of SF4 and want SFV already. They are ready to make the jump.

I wish I saved the tweet where dieminion is pleading to his followers to not let SF4 die because SFxT came out, insisting that it's still a game worth playing.

Seyavesh

What? You are shitting me right?

could've sworn this was the case but booted it up to make sure and you're right

where the hell did i get that from

i forgot to mention that the reason her high/low game actually exists is because she has an instant overhead (that she can't combo off of, so it requires lockdown situation), not because of her airdash

Anne

Why not just top 8? It might take a little too long then.

If the game can support 3/5 without killing the schedule and it suits competitive needs better, why not?

Tbh I don't like changing the bracket from 2/3 -> 3/5 at any point, seems pretty pointless and just changes shit.

Horseress

Oh shit today's Daigo's birthday!!!! Everyone, please stop everything you're doing, close your eyes and think for one minute how the GOAT changed your life. I know one minute is not enough but please try

Dahbomb

could've sworn this was the case but booted it up to make sure and you're right

where the hell did i get that from

i forgot to mention that the reason her high/low game actually exists is because she has an instant overhead (that she can't combo off of, so it requires lockdown situation), not because of her airdash
Yeah I know she has an instant overhead but that only comes into the equation when she gets someone in a lockdown situation. In the neutral you have like a split second to mix someone up when they touch the ground and it's not like Chun Li can tri-dash in for a quick high low.

I forgot to mention that for rushdown characters simply having a high/low mix up isn't good enough, you need a form of left/right mix up as well like a teleport. Chun Li doesn't have that which further works to her disadvantage. Someone like Jill is a much more potent mix up/rushdown character than Chun Li because of this.

In any case don't worry about the cr.L thing, we have all been misguided before. There was a time where I and a bunch of other people on GAF were sure that Wolverine's cr.L was 4 frame and couldn't be jumped out of because of pre-jump frames. Turns out it was 6 frames and it was his st.L which was 4 frames.

alstein

Something must have changed with USF4 PC. Out of nowhere, with no patches being done or anything, the game plays amazingly online.

There are still some lingering issues with lag, but matches are either fully amazing or suffer from very odd delayed inputs the whole time. Beforehand, every match was horrible, with insane desyncs and all over the place bouts of lag, smooth, lag, smooth.

This might actually get me playing it again. And maybe they could share their tech with High Voltage Studios to sort out that damned MKX port.

It was Steam changing things on their end that helped.

I wish I saved the tweet where dieminion is pleading to his followers to not let SF4 die because SFxT came out, insisting that it's still a game worth playing.

Daigo told Dieminion "Don't worry my son, for I will not touch SFxT. And thus, SFxT will die."

iewhfZyPaKSa8.gif

Vice

I think it has to do with a Steam update, changed how they handle peer to peer match making I believe.

Really looking forward to Evo in a couple of months. Been putting in a lot of work with my scene and hope it shows in how we do at SF and UMVC3.

Dahbomb

+1 to USF4 PC working better online now. Now the only bad connections are those with red connections as it should be. There's still some lag but it's far more acceptable now.

Rhapsody

Banned

The recent PC netcode definitely pleased me considering SF4 standards.

Playing on wired with 2-3 bars with SoCal was smooth. The worst connection I had was with onemic but he lives in Canada iirc so it was like 0 bars. Not sure if he was wired though, but high lows were unreactable.

Would love it if SF5 could be Skullgirls quality though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If the game can support 3/5 without killing the schedule and it suits competitive needs better, why not?

Tbh I don't like changing the bracket from 2/3 -> 3/5 at any point, seems pretty pointless and just changes shit.

I thought it would take too long lol. I kinda agree with you, Marvel does it really well by keeping it 3/5 for the entire thing. I think the reason why SF is changed from 2/3 to 3/5 is cause of all the variables involved in a match. Sometimes matches can be as fast as they can be while others are a turtle fest and it takes a lot longer.

Oh shit today's Daigo's birthday!!!! Everyone, please stop everything you're doing, close your eyes and think for one minute how the GOAT changed your life. I know one minute is not enough but please try

lol, his third strike parry video with justin is what got me into fighting games. man is a legend.

+1 to USF4 PC working better online now. Now the only bad connections are those with red connections as it should be. There's still some lag but it's far more acceptable now.

Netcode is really solid, it hiccups every now and then but it is much better than what it used to be.

Is no one even considering the possibility that streetfighter five might suck? I mean if it's a total bomb, then streetfighter four will have no problem being around for a very long time. A lot of people thought SfxT was going to kill it.

Whenever I say that what I've seen thus far is disappointing I get yelled at and told to be more positive.

As it is, it looks terrible. I have no hope unless it somehow blows me away gameplay wise.

This.

Anne

It is worth noting I'm used to watching BO1 single elim tournaments though, so my view is skewed lol I also /really/ like team format single elim but that's just me too.

When I run locals I run things 2/3 all the way through, sometimes I run GF 3/5 cause people want it but I'm not a huge fan of that even.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How do you ascertain such things from what little we've seen and how much can change? Even pre-beta or loke tests?

Personally, any change of pace is welcome. There's a slim to zero chance people play SF4 even if this is garbage. That's not where the player base would be. And let's not bring up the notion that SFxTK ever realistically threatened SF4. That hype was started by the same people who thought SFxTK was the greatest fighting game ever upon touching a controller during a priviledged early hands-on opportunity.

zlatko

Banned
Whenever I say that what I've seen thus far is disappointing I get yelled at and told to be more positive.

This.

I should clarify that I think so far from what we see in the game will be awesome. However, I'm always skeptical until I get my hands on it. That goes with any game.

NEO0MJ

He made me hate Shotos and...yeah, that's about it :B

Dahbomb

I still remember people yelling about Chun's assist being best in the game just because you couldn't pushblock it.
Pre-release MVC3 was some of the most hilarious and exciting times in gaming for me personally.

*Wolverine is totally not good in this game, he can't open up people because his dive kick isn't overhead.

*Game is too turtle heavy, damage isn't high enough many games are going into time over.

*Phoenix has no health, dies to 3 Hadoukens, joke character.

*OMG Deadpool full screen gun shot into hyper XFC hyper is so cheap!

Azure J

I still remember people yelling about Chun's assist being best in the game just because you couldn't pushblock it.

Oh man, this was the best.

"Lightning Legs best assist in the game!"

"...the fuck do you mean Akuma got soft knockdown on tatsu?"

@Dahbomb: Don't forget how projectile zoning was apparently beyond oppressive during the NerdJosh era only for Marn to blow that shit up with the swiftness after years of TvC Zero.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I hope SF5 will be fun/good. I didn't know Count has kids too.
Kanye-West-John-Mayer-Awkward-Hug-and-Handshake.gif

XF3 Joe gave my Sentinel nightmares in Marvel3.

This gif always cracks me up. SFV has a lot riding on it with Sony being behind it. I just hope E3 blows my mind
and my pants
off.

Pre-release MVC3 was some of the most hilarious and exciting times in gaming for me personally.

*Wolverine is totally not good in this game, he can't open up people because his dive kick isn't overhead.

*Game is too turtle heavy, damage isn't high enough many games are going into time over.

*Phoenix has no health, dies to 3 Hadoukens, joke character.

*OMG Deadpool full screen gun shot into hyper XFC hyper is so cheap!

This is why I talk people complaining about SFV's speed with a grain of salt. No one knows much about the game except for the few pros that have played exhibitions for Capcom. For all we know, SFV might be too fast for us lol

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Don't get your hopes up.

All I need is a new SFV trailer, Uncharted 4 gameplay/release date and an RPG from Sony. The first two are pretty much guaranteed and based on inside info
(from Verendus lol)
there are two RPG's in the works. One from Sega, the other is a first party game from Sony. This is all the hope I need.

Dahbomb

It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

...dig deep, get creative and vent on what things would be really useful to have that for some reason we don't yet. Sometimes folks don't know what needs added until someone points out the little stuff.
I am waiting on someone to put in an online mode for fighting games where you can ban certain characters.

Of course it would be Unranked but it would be interesting to have the option to play online without having to deal with an eye sore of a character like Blanka or Lucky Chloe.

Really though most fighting games just need a legitimate tournament mode.

I am waiting on someone to put in an online mode for fighting games where you can ban certain characters.

Of course it would be Unranked but it would be interesting to have the option to play online without having to deal with an eye sore of a character like Blanka or Lucky Chloe.

3S Online had it.

EDIT: If I'm remembering that right, at least.

Anne

They made this in 3SOE. I only know cause the 3S facebook group makes fun of anybody using it for not-Gill.

mbpm1

I'm not really even thinking about SF5 atm

Maybe whenever Capcom releases something I will. How long has it been man

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Regarding E3:

hlylzm.gif

But duhbomb! this yur is gunna be d1ff4r3nt!!!! Soony is gonna save us all!!!!

It's time again...
byYuHX3.jpg

...dig deep, get creative and vent on what things would be really useful to have that for some reason we don't yet. Sometimes folks don't know what needs added until someone points out the little stuff.

Get in a damn lobby while the match is currently going and be able to watch it damn it. Marvel and SF4 were the only games I attempted to play online and it was frustrating to wait until the match was over.

3S Online had it.

EDIT: If I'm remembering that right, at least.

It does, I ban Gill from my lobbies lol.

Top Bottom