• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

CorvoSol

pww2SnY.png

What is this?

This is a English fan translation patch for Final Fantasy Type-0, the portable installment of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that was released back in 2011. Formerly known as Final Fantasy Agito XIII, it was initially under development for mobiles until it transitioned to PSP in 2008. This is not to be confused with Final Fantasy Agito which is available on Android and iPhone in Japan which shares the same universe and characters but the stories are different.

After Square Enix showed little signs of bringing this title to the West, a computer science student by the name of Sky and his group took upon the localisation endeavour themselves and organised Operation Doomtrain at the beginning of 2013. They've now finished and released the patch on June 8, 2014.

Note - This quick guide is going to assume you already know how to install and work with CFW/PSP or eCFW/Vita but I'll include links if you need help

Where do I start?

Things you need:
  • A copy of the game
  • A PSP with CFW installed
  • PC (the patch is only available as an .exe right now)

First you must dump an ISO of a copy you own. Since the patch contains the complementary files of the other disc, you only need to dump ONE of the UMDs. [GUIDE] (thanks Zomba13)

Both the original and Ultimate Hits work with the patch and can be bought from but not limited to the following places:

AmiAmi
AmiAmi (Ultimate Hits)
Amazon
YesAsia
YesAsia (Ultimate Hits)

To dump ISOs, you'll need to have custom firmware (CFW) installed onto your PSP and a homebrew app like UMD Dumper or similar. If you need more info on CFW, click here. If you're planning to play on PSP as well, you should go with PRO CFW. The reason why will be explained later.

How do I patch the ISOs?

Download the patch from here

The patching process is very simple.

1. Open Final Fantasy Type-0 Patcher.exe
  2. Click on "Patch"
  3. Locate the ISO
  4. Select the location where you want to save the patched ISO
  5. Patching will then commence and done!

How can I play the game?

There are several ways in which you can play the game;

PSP - Place the game in the ISO folder of your memory stick and you're good to go. Since the resulting patched ISO is larger than 2GB, most UMD drivers don't work well with the game. However, PRO CFW includes the "Inferno" UMD driver which bypasses this problem and the game is fully playable on PSP.

The usual process of activating the Inferno driver is through the VSH menu or Recovery Menu on bootup.

Vita - If you're lucky enough to have a Vita with eCFW, Type-0 is playable on it too! Transfer the game through the exploited game save file or use FTP and place the game in the ISO folder. Just like PSP however, you'll need the Inferno driver for it to work. This is included in Total_Noob's TN-V8 eCFW so make sure you're up to date with that. Method of activation is the same as PSP.

If you have a Vita that's up to date with the latest official firmware, don't bother asking how to play the game on it right now. The opportunities to install eCFW are rare as Sony will quickly pull the game with the kernel exploit from the PSN store and release a new "stability" FW update soon after. If you really want it in the future, subscribe to the GAF Vita Homebrew thread or pay attention to wololo.net where the name of the game with a kernel exploit is occasionally released.

Emulation - Download their latest build of PPSSPP here. Available on Windows (32/64-bit) and Android. Benefits include high rendering resolutions, AA and playing with a DS3/DS4/360/ONE controller.

Version 0.9.8 does not contain the latest fixes that will play the game properly.

There are unofficial builds for OSX and iOS but I'm not sure how well they work with the game.

If you would like to show your appreciation, feel free to purchase the Gold version of PPSSPP, available on either PC or Android.

FAQ

I thought we had to merge both UMD discs before applying the translation patch?
Apparently that was the intention in the first place but for whatever reason that is no longer required. You can still apply the patch to a merged ISO but it is an unnecessary step.

Is there an SE Plugin version of the translation patch?
No

PPSSPP keeps crashing and the error says that it needs MSVCP120.dll
Download and install this - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

I'm getting white shadows
Make sure you're on the latest build of PPSSPP, not their last stable 0.9.8 release.

This patch released earlier than expected, is there an announcement coming soon?
Don't know.

Why are X and O swapped?
Standard configuration of buttons in Japan. Deal with it.

My CFW is ____, do I still need to change to PRO?
I'm not that familiar with the CFW scene anymore but the Inferno driver is vital. If you don't have it, install 6.60 PRO.

How do I get my Dualshock 3/4 working on PC?
[GUIDE]Dualshock 3
[GUIDE]Dualshock 4

I'm getting some weird performance drops and my rig is BEAST.
Turn off Texture Scaling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit to stryke for the above content.

Ishida

Banned
Uugh... I thought it was way closer, like a month or so...

But anyways, great job to the team and thanks for all their efforts. I've marked my calendar.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Amazing. Between this and Valkyria Chronicles 3, we should consider ourselves lucky to have such dedicated fan communities.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So this is never coming out because Square Enix is totally announcing a Vita iOS version getting localized here in the west!

Famassu

Gives Squeenix more than enough time to shut it down before it comes out.
Square Enix has never shut down even a single fan translation project, AFAIK. I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about it as long as they don't do something stupid like try to sell the translation or offer patched .isos on their website. The translation file itself isn't illegal in anyway, from what I've understood, so there's really nothing SQEX can do to shut it down. This is not a case like, say, that Chrono Trigger 3D remake.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They want that C&D really hard
Sega let VC3 go unscathed (as far as I know), so maybe Japanese companies don't care.

Square Enix has never shut down even a single fan translation project, AFAIK. I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about it as long as they don't do something stupid like try to sell the translation or offer patched .isos on their website. The translation file itself isn't illegal in anyway, from what I've understood, so there's really nothing SQEX can do to shut it down. This is not a case like, say, that Chrono Trigger 3D remake.
I still remember the case where a kid who translated Harry Potter into French got sued or C&D'ed into oblivion. Maybe European law is different though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am FINE with this. I didn't believe the "out in 3 weeks" assumption anyway.

I actually like that I have a little advance notice to prepare for this, like it were a proper release.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
C&D will happen when it infringes on the creative interpretation of the franchise. Not for a simple fan translation.

BocoDragon

Has any company, ever sent a C&D over the last 15+ years of fan translation patches?

Famassu

I still remember the case where a kid who translated Harry Potter into French got sued or C&D'ed into oblivion. Maybe European law is different though.
A game or book? Because a book is kind of a whole different deal. That's the whole product, so of course if someone translates & uploads it it's breaking laws (not just in Europe, it would be illegal in North America as well). A game is different. You really won't do anything with a game's translation patch alone. You need a copy of the game for it to be of any worth.

K.Sabot

Constant beta releases could remedy worries, as long as it exists in some form on the internet it will never die.

BocoDragon

Okay let me rephrase this: C&D won't happen, don't even entertain the possibility.

It's a patch.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I kind of expected sooner, but, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
WE'RE GETTING IT.
PRAISE SKYBLADECLOUD.

I like how the only decent FF Square released since the last 10 years (basically since FFX) is only for Japan.... at least put some English subs in there so foreigners can import it.

I hate you too SE

Neither of those were just translation patches, though.
Has any company, ever sent a C&D over the last 15+ years of fan translation patches?

Not directly, but Square Enix collectively shut down Crimson Echoes and "all other Square Enix-related ROM hacks currently on [the Chrono Compendium website]", which did include the CT retranslation patch (not ROM hacks, there were no ROM hacks on the site).

kayos90

A C&D will most likely be pursued btw. It's just a matter of if it's a legitimate case and how the translators of this project feels in regards to the threat.

Mr. RHC

Damn it, looks amazing!

Still, I can't believe Square Enix was not willing to localize this.. it's just sad.

BocoDragon

Interesting. Well who knows. Maybe he was spooked by a letter that wouldn't legally hold up. Maybe he was involved in filesharing some copyrighted material and didn't do it properly.

A translation patch is basically the equivalent of a subtitle file.

A C&D will most likely be pursued btw. It's just a matter of if it's a legitimate case and how the translators of this project feels in regards to the threat.

Ok that's a fair possibility.

Famassu

Square does care... Remember what they did with Crimson Echoes and that Chrono Trigger 3D remake?
Those aren't translation patches, they were infringing on Square Enix's copyrights by using characters, worlds etc. that Square Enix owned. That's a whole other deal from a translation of game.

Translation patches are still modifications of the game, and that's something they don't approve of.
Again, that's not nearly the same deal, they were creating a new game using Square Enix owned assets. Type-0's translators aren't actually modifying Type-0, they are just creating a patch-file.

kayos90

Interesting. Well who knows. Maybe he was spooked by a letter that wouldn't legally hold up. Maybe he was involved in filesharing some copyrighted material and didn't do it properly.

A translation patch is basically the equivalent of a subtitle file.

Pretty sure this isn't the simple replacement of a text file judging by the scope of the project. There was most likely a considerable amount of modification in regards to the graphics, codes, etc. If this is the case then SE has every ground to file for a C&D. At the very least they will prevent public distribution of this.

BocoDragon

Instead of a C&D they should toss the translators some coin and put it up on PSN. I'd happily pay for it.

I like how the only decent FF Square released since the last 10 years (basically since FFX) is only for Japan.... at least put some English subs in there so foreigners can import it.

I hate you too SE

I'm loving Lightning Returns, btw ;)

CorvoSol

I hate you too SE

I'm loving Lightning Returns, btw ;)

C'mon guys, let's not start this.

Pretty sure this isn't the simple replacement of a text file judging by the scope of the project. There was most likely a considerable amount of modification in regards to the graphics, codes, etc. If this is the case then SE has every ground to file for a C&D. At the very least they will prevent public distribution of this.

I couldn't really comment on it. All I know is they aimed to only change the text from one language to another.

Can't help but be pretty disappointed. They've been hyping it up for weeks like it was coming any day now. Plus, that only gives me a few more days of summer break before my college classes start back up...

In any case, I'm appreciative of their work and wish them the best of luck as they continue doing what SE should have done years ago.

Top Bottom