• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

Einhander

Can someone give me an explanation as to how I can create an ISO from a UMD? My PSP is already modded, but I don't know how to create an ISO from a UMD.

Famassu

That's how most fan games are released as well. As a patch that modifies the original game to their changed version. It's different than movie/film/video subtitles that are literally scripts put into a completely separate file and with special software plays along with the video. Those files don't directly modify the video, but a game's fan translation patch does.
They are still using characters etc. owned by a company they have no rights to use to create new content. Pretty sure the patches for those kinds of fan games aren't quite as simple as a translation patch. But as I admitted, maybe fan translations are more of a grey area than something that is purely legal or completely illegal.

And fan projects/translations have gotten shut down even when just released as a patch file as well. (See the 7th Dragon example someone else posted.)
The only cases of C&D I've ever heard of have usually had something fishy about them. Maybe the site that has housed the translation efforts has linked to some copyrighted material or something. But Squaresoft has never C&D'd any fan translations, only bigger remakes or stuff that blatandly use properties/assets they own, not even with games like Front Mission 1 which they have later ported/localized themselves.

DJIzana

Care to expand a little on that ?

Basically Sony has a third party studio that was taking request of fans for 3rd party games they wanted to see get localized. FF Type-0 was highest on the list, then Yakuza and PSO2 (I think).

They're too late on this though... SE shot themselves in the foot. Lost potential sales thanks to this fan translation.

B.K.

Can someone give me an explanation as to how I can create an ISO from a UMD? My PSP is already modded, but I don't know how to create an ISO from a UMD.

Open the VSH Menu, change USB Mode from Memory Stick to UMD, connect PSP to a computer with a USB cable, and copy ISO to your computer.

Famassu

This game will never be localized by SE on Vita as the rumors stated right ?
Well, Type-0 is one of the possible #JRPGVita games that Shahid has been teasing after they requested gamers to tell them what games they'd like them to try to get localized/brought over to more current PlayStation platforms. That and Tabata, Type-0's director, has said time & time again that he hasn't given up on bringing Type-0 (not just the iOS version of the story, but the PSP game) outside Japan. I'm personally hoping they'll announce Type-0 for Vita at E3 this year.

I seriously can not believe that there are informed NeoGAF members who believe that fan translations get the same treatment from rights holders as fan remakes and other new games and media made using IP and assets owned by said rights holders. Not only this but certain ones ridiculing people that actually know their stuff.

Final Fantasy V, Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon, countless Dragon Quest games and Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Edition are just the SE games that I can remember as having fan translations released with zero legal action taken against the translators.

Again, fan remakes, which do get C&Ds practically 100% of the time, are not the same thing.

Famassu

Basically Sony has a third party studio that was taking request of fans for 3rd party games they wanted to see get localized. FF Type-0 was highest on the list, then Yakuza and PSO2 (I think).
1) IIRC, Sony doesn't have a "third party studio" doing this shit, they put up a team/studio of their own working inside Sony, who will try to bring games to Vita, PS4 & PS3 that otherwise might not happen (not sure if they'll localize games themselves or if they are just middle-men between the publishers who aren't bringing their games over and maybe some external localization teams)

2) I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about FF Type-0 not being #1. If I'm not completely wrong, it was actually the couple of Vita Tales of games that came on top, though Type-0 was probably right after those.

EvaristeG

Banned
Thanks guys. I only own a Vita and I'm not into hacking and all but I've been willing to play this game for a long time. Hope Shahid hasn't been overhyping stuff as usual.

linkboy

While the wait til August sucks, if Square wanted to shut this down, they would have already (it's not like it's an unknown project).

However, if Square was smart, they would officially license the translation and pop the game on PSN when it's finished.

It's a win for everyone and Square could make some extra cash and not do any work.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While the wait til August sucks, if Square wanted to shut this down, they would have already (it's not like it's an unknown project).

However, if Square was smart, they would officially license the translation and pop the game on PSN when it's finished.

It's a win for everyone and Square could make some extra cash and not do any work.

Big if.

DJIzana

1) IIRC, Sony doesn't have a "third party studio" doing this shit, they put up a team/studio of their own working inside Sony, who will try to bring games to Vita, PS4 & PS3 that otherwise might not happen (not sure if they'll localize games themselves or if they are just middle-men between the publishers who aren't bringing their games over and maybe some external localization teams)

2) I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about FF Type-0 not being #1. If I'm not completely wrong, it was actually the couple of Vita Tales of games that came on top, though Type-0 was probably right after those.

Well, that's what they refer to them as, a "third party production studio". If you don't believe me, follow them on Twitter.

"Gio Corsi
@giocorsi
Director of Third Party Production for Sony PlayStation, master of useless info & renegade chef! My tweets speak for me alone but i think my dogs usually agree!
San Francisco"

Description of the Twitter page for the man in charge if it.

Well, that's what they refer to them as, a "third party production studio". If you don't believe me, follow them on Twitter.

"Gio Corsi
@giocorsi
Director of Third Party Production for Sony PlayStation, master of useless info & renegade chef! My tweets speak for me alone but i think my dogs usually agree!
San Francisco"

Description of the Twitter page for the man in charge if it.
The studio is not a third party, it is a studio within Sony that deals with Third Parties. That's what he was trying to say.

Prelude.

They're too late on this though... SE shot themselves in the foot. Lost potential sales thanks to this fan translation.
They can always block it before it's too late, they can do whatever they want if they care enough. And they should if they have a Type-0 Vita plan.

I think you're mixing up #jrpgvita (shahid) with #buildingthelist (giocorsi). The Vita Tales were probably #1 on the #jrpgvita thing but not on Giocorsi's list which is multiplatform. Yakuza 5 and Type-0 were the most requested.

They localize enough crap, I don't know why they thought this game wasn't worth it. They really should officially license this translation, but it's Square so they've probably got a 300 man team working on FFXIII-3 bikini DLC costumes.

#priorities

Prelude.

They localize enough crap, I don't know why they thought this game wasn't worth it. They really should officially license this translation, but it's Square so they've probably got a 300 man team working on FFXIII-3 bikini DLC costumes.

#priorities

Toriyama's probably doing that. Alone. For free.

I've never been convinced that this was a fully accurate story since Sega's never C&Ded projects for other games (whether recent or old) and haven't C&Ded other attempts at translating 7D.

I still remember the case where a kid who translated Harry Potter into French got sued or C&D'ed into oblivion. Maybe European law is different though.

Translating a book involves providing a full copy of the entire work. Translating a game, if you release in patch form, requires only providing a list of changes that must be applied by the end user to their own copy of the original work.

A C&D will most likely be pursued btw.

There's not zero chance, but the chance is extremely low. I don't see any basis for your position here except contrarianism. :/

If it's that far out, they shouldn't have said anything. This will create very little positive buzz.

This I agree with though!

Skyblade isn't another handle for the guy named Sky Render is it? Sky Render was the guy who poo-poo'ed the original Final Fantasy 3/6 translation he went on an epic crusade to "fix everything" and in doing so produced an overly literal, overly robotic translation with a terrible set of fonts... I guess even if it's the same person some translation is better than none... but damn what happened to release in 3 weeks all those months ago?

CorvoSol

Skyblade isn't another handle for the guy named Sky Render is it? Sky Render was the guy who poo-poo'ed the original Final Fantasy 3/6 translation he went on an epic crusade to "fix everything" and in doing so produced an overly literal, overly robotic translation with a terrible set of fonts... I guess even if it's the same person some translation is better than none... but damn what happened to release in 3 weeks all those months ago?

Well 1, I don't think this is the same Sky. Skybladecloud is the same guy who made the unofficial Dissidia DLC possible, but he's a native Spaniard, so he tends to do translations in Spanish.

2, I'm pretty sure the 3 weeks thing was always wrong. Over on GBATemp they explained that there was some confusion regarding it, and that the 3 weeks referred to the time the main story text would be finished or something. It's been awhile so I'd have to really dig in that thread to find the official explanation.

Just saw the 5 min video ...

matt-smith.gif

My 2 psps and my vita are ready.

Wow, I expected April or May at the very latest from the few updates. Not gonna lie, this bummed me out a bit. Oh well though, guess it's still better than nothing.

Dereck

Can't even pretend to be sad about people doing something they don't have to for a bunch of other people. Will wait patiently until release date.

Maybe all of the fan translators should combine their efforts to create a real life babel fish. Might be more efficient for everyone and earn a Nobel Prize or two.

They can always block it before it's too late, they can do whatever they want if they care enough. And they should if they have a Type-0 Vita plan.

I think you're mixing up #jrpgvita (shahid) with #buildingthelist (giocorsi). The Vita Tales were probably #1 on the #jrpgvita
thing but not on Giocorsi's list which is multiplatform. Yakuza 5 and Type-0 were the most requested.

Nah, there is no way.

"sorry, the cost and risk is too high to localize whatever game you want"

*fans translate it for free and don't end up in debt*

CorvoSol

Fuck yea, thank you

Post 2766 shows a dude running it on his Vita, so it sounds like it's a done deal. Skyblade Cloud also mentions it in the blog post where he posted the trailer

As always, I’d like to give thanks to the wonderful Operation Doomtrain team, for making this possible, to Total-Noob, for adapting his Vita CFW so it’s compatible with our patch....

Top Bottom