• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

Shiina

I like how the only decent FF Square released since the last 10 years (basically since FFX) is only for Japan.... at least put some English subs in there so foreigners can import it.

I hate you too SE

I wonder if it's actually good, though. I've heard very mixed opinions.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Good. If it came out like this month like suggested, when the fuck would I possibly get to play it when EVERY GAME EVER is being released?

Right in Summer drought territory is the perfect time.

Famassu

I like how the only decent FF Square released since the last 10 years (basically since FFX) is only for Japan.... at least put some English subs in there so foreigners can import it.
FFXII, Crisis Core, X-2, XIII-2 & Lightning Returns are all at the very least decent, some (XII) are even great & arguably way better than X.

Cbajd5

Again, that's not nearly the same deal, they were creating a new game using Square Enix owned assets. Type-0's translators aren't actually modifying Type-0, they are just creating a patch-file.

So how are they releasing a translation patch that translates it without modifying game files? Because it has to be.

Hell, SE has more of an incentive to shut this down just to make sure they'll get the highest amount of sales possible if they ever release an official translation.

CorvoSol

It's a PSA. XIII haters should not avoid that game out of principle. Get dat memo.

FFXII, Crisis Core, X-2, XIII-2 & Lightning Returns are all at the very least decent, some (XII) are even great & arguably way better than X.

Guys, c'mon. Don't start this in here.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Some GAF users have pointed out some fair criticisms, though. RTS segments weren't that great, and managing 14 party members can get a bit grindy, but I found combat fun, and while the maps were nothing special I enjoyed the extra freedom. It's best not to view the game as an alternative to console FFs but as an upgrade from Crisis Core.

Ratrat

Well then you should know its not objectively good and depends on the person. And even the less positive people will agree its one of Square Enixes better recent efforts.

Awesome! I'm a bit sad at how far away the release date is, though... But I'm just very happy and grateful to everyone who put in the work/effort into translating this for us! They finally did something SE wouldn't do. Thanks! <3 Can't wait.

DJIzana

To all those worry about the C&D... maybe he'd be smart like the guys working on the Chrono Resurrection.

Remember this?

oEINI.png

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I've stated this elsewhere but if they were smart they would've done a soft release instead of announcing to the world when it was coming out.

Levyne

Banned
I am very looking forward to this. I've actually never found a need to put CFW on my PSP, but this would get me to do so. I'd also look into VC3, giving me 2 reasons for it.

Plenty to play in the meantime, I can be patient.

Aeana

If it's that far out, they shouldn't have said anything. This will create very little positive buzz.

Famassu

So how are they releasing a translation patch that translates it without modifying game files? Because it has to be.

Hell, SE has more of an incentive to shut this down just to make sure they'll get the highest amount of sales possible if they ever release an official translation.
The translators AREN'T DIRECTLY MODIFYING A COPY OF THE GAME THAT THEY'LL SHARE. Sure, while they are translating the game, they are fidgeting around with a copy of the game (that itself isn't illegal), but the product they are releasing is NOT a modified version of the game. They are releasing a completely separate patch-file that is basically filled with subtitles. We have gazillion sites that provide subtitles for movies, tv-shows etc. that movie studios etc. can't do anything about.

To all those worry about the C&D... maybe he'd be smart like the guys working on the Chrono Resurrection.

Remember this?
Releasing a new game using SE's IP != releasing files to modify SE's game

Fan translations have been released for a multitude of games over the years without legal issues.

Labadal

I was on a mission and there were a lot of talking while I was playing. Will they translate stuff like this? There were no Japanese subtitles during these parts.

kayos90

The translators AREN'T DIRECTLY MODIFYING A COPY OF THE GAME THAT THEY'LL SHARE. Sure, while they are translating the game, they are fidgeting around with a copy of the game (that itself isn't illegal), but the product they are releasing is NOT a modified version of the game. They are releasing a completely separate patch-file that is basically filled with subtitles. We have gazillion sites that provide subtitles for movies, tv-shows etc. that movie studios etc. can't do anything about.

Gonna have to quote your tag for this one.

CorvoSol

I was on a mission and there were a lot of talking while I was playing. Will they translate stuff like this? There were no Japanese subtitles during these parts.

Skyblade's twitter says that no dub is being made. Subs at most for stuff like that, I'd assume.

Thanks for the ad hominem.
Well by quoting that person's tag you were basically calling them wrong when in fact the post you called categorically wrong was actually right. Someone who is so confident in their knowledge to do that and at the same time completely wrong themselves can't possibly know much of anything about fan translations and their history. You set the tone of the conversation yourself with your tag reference and in relative terms I feel I actually raised the level of discourse.

And no I wasn't making a reference to anything.

SougoXIII

Man... August. I'm going to have to enter 'XV's mode' for this patch till then. It seems like everything that's Square related is god damn teasing me.

Famassu

Gonna have to quote your tag for this one.
So what is so wrong about my text? Maybe fan translations are a bit of a grey area, but it's a fact that a translation patch file itself isn't the same kind of "modification" that some rom-hacks are where they try to create some fan fiction-y new scenarios using assets from a game that Square Enix owns, unless they decide to actually offer a patched .iso of the game. At that point they would have taken what is Square Enix's property, modified it and would illegally be offering that modified content to people.

The patch-file itself isn't a modified Type-0, which would be illegal to share, it's a separate file that includes translations for the game's text. That's like saying sites that offer lyrics of songs are illegal because the lyrics are a part of the song that they don't have the rights to share. In the end, it's the end-user, the gamer him-/herself, who will do the modifying of his/her own copy of the game, and modifying your own shit isn't illegal, at least not everywhere.

Cbajd5

That's how most fan games are released as well. As a patch that modifies the original game to their changed version. It's different than movie/film/video subtitles that are literally scripts put into a completely separate file and with special software plays along with the video. Those files don't directly modify the video, but a game's fan translation patch does.

And fan projects/translations have gotten shut down even when just released as a patch file as well. (See the 7th Dragon example someone else posted.)

RaikuHebi

Banned
Wow WAAAAAAAAAAAAY later than I expected. But it's just in time for my holiday, so will make perfect airport, airplane and beach gaming!

kayos90

Well by quoting that person's tag you were basically calling them wrong when in fact the post you called categorically wrong was actually right. Someone who is so confident in their knowledge to do that and at the same time completely wrong themselves can't possibly know much of anything about fan translations and their history. You set the tone of the conversation yourself with your tag reference and in relative terms I feel I actually raised the level of discourse.

And no I wasn't making a reference to anything.

Setting the tone has nothing to do with the fact that my claim and statements were laid clear beforehand. I disagree with his points and I addressed them in this thread. I only merely supplemented my response to him with a concluding statement which aligned well with his tag.

Top Bottom