• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to PS4/Xbox One (no Vita), Agito coming too (iOS/And)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wasn't that because it was on 2 UMD's and some Japanese games tend to be that expensive.

Yeah SE basically put it at that price because of the 2 UMD's and treated it as a Premium game.

I think the actual price was like $50 and import fees bumped it up to $80.

I think.

Toth

I don't have a major issue with this because the game itself is rather beefy in content as is. If the game looks good for a ps4/ xbone game, then I can't see people being disappointed. It's a 'new' FF game to many eyes and if the people who extol the game are correct, a positive experience .

All multiplayer in BbS is handled in the battle arena world. That's the matchmaking hub in the game. If they're cutting out multiplayer there, it probably means all multiplayer matchmaking is gone - PvE, PvP, Racing, Command Board. It's disappointing to me because I was actually really looking forward to possibly doing some of the special boss fights from Final Mix with friends. BbS had really good MP options imo.
Wow is this true? Sad man, in the trailer they showed the secret bosses from the final mix that you had to go through the Battle Arena to fight them in. So with that, me and my friends considered it confirmed :/ shame

Pricing seems really fine to me, afterall TOMB RAIDER PS4/ONE and similar products have been sold for 59,00/64,00 euros with just little changes, and weren't even new games when republished. Type-0 on the other hand it's first a full new game for most of the world and second it's more a remake than what TR was for PS4. It'll definitive require more efforts to develop giving how much of it will get to be rebuild from scratch to adapt the game from PSP, plus add to this the huge amount of work for translation and dubbing in english.

It's the right price.

Thank God SE has such dedicated, loyal and unquestioning customers like you.

AmanoBuff

Pricing seems really fine to me, afterall TOMB RAIDER PS4/ONE and similar products have been sold for 59,00/64,00 euros with just little changes, and weren't even new games when republished. Type-0 on the other hand it's first a full new game for most of the world and second it's more a remake than what TR was for PS4. It'll definitive require more efforts to develop giving how much of it will get to be rebuild from scratch to adapt the game from PSP, plus add to this the huge amount of work for translation and dubbing in english.

It's the right price.

LOL are you for real?

It has to be a mistake/placeholder. There's no logical explanation to sell a PSP remaster for full price, especially on PS4. They didnt do it with FFX/X-2 or KH collections.

As stated many times before, Type-0 was never released on the west before, unlike the games you mentioned, so nothing stops SQEX from charging full price for it.

MechaX

This game will be another Lightning Returns game: it'll get lots of hate just for existing.

As mentioned by Renpatsu, Valkyria, and others, this is going to go beyond any reason people had for hating Lightning/XIII-verse or just not liking FF in general. Type-0 was a game designed around the PSP, popular conventions in Japan at the time, and is a portable game through and through. Unlike something like Birth By Sleep, where the system is refined enough that it would work well on any system, people are going to have to temper their expectations for this game. There have been many people thirsting for something "not-XIII" so long that those same set of people are going to be in a rude awakening when they get a game, albeit in HD with dual analog bells and whistles, that was philosophically designed for the portables, is not going to play like XV-lite or some action equivalent, and unfortunately makes some of the same story-misteps that the XIII games do at times.

And this isn't even me hating on Type-0, because I do like it. But at the same coin, I recognize what it is in the grand scheme of things, and it has many of the same things that didn't really go well with Crisis Core/3rd Birthday purchasers the first time around.

LuuKyK

Sad thing is: I will but it at any price. Damn you Square. >_>

Edit: About the discussion going on, I can totally see some (emphasis on some) people finding crazy obscure criticism about Type-0 because SQUARE ENIX SUCKS or something along those lines. Sure they deserve some hate for being clueless countless times last gen, but its far from being a reason to not appreciate an eventual good game they put out.

Btw, I am not siding with crazy Perfo here or whatever, far from it, I disagree with pretty much everything else he said in this thread. Just pointing out that this particular thing he said can happen in here.

Is SE dumb enough to charge full price for this? The answer is probably yes. Personally, $30 is my limit for this. Maybe $40 if it was an actual remake instead of a remaster.

Vamphuntr

I really wonder if they will improve the gameplay a lot because after beating the fan translation I think the gameplay isn't very good. Balance was all over the place and it was really janky and felt unfinished and rushed.

I can't see this ending well at that price point. Especially if it plays the same and has the same mission structure.

While it has a lot of content, most people won't probably see it. half the side operations are impossible to do unless you waste hours grinding.

Soriku

I don't have a major issue with this because the game itself is rather beefy in content as is. If the game looks good for a ps4/ xbone game, then I can't see people being disappointed. It's a 'new' FF game to many eyes and if the people who extol the game are correct, a positive experience .

The impressions in the fan translation thread are really bad...

Fix some shit SE.

jimmypython

I really wonder if they will improve the gameplay a lot because after beating the fan translation I think the gameplay isn't very good. Balance was all over the place and it was really janky and felt unfinished and rushed.

I can't see this ending well at that price point. Especially if it plays the same and has the same mission structure.

While it has a lot of content, most people won't probably see it. half the side operations are impossible to do unless you waste hours grinding.

Yep! this game is the very first step in the right direction to fix the broken FF brand. FF14ARR being the second one. Therefore, type-0 is by no means a game that is ready to redeem FF.

If only they had a same budget and priority as the disaster that is FF13.

Toth

The impressions in the fan translation thread are really bad...

Fix some shit SE.

Not surprised unfortunately but I believe tempering your expectations was always recommended for this title. My main concern is how to de-portabilize the title for the PS4 and XBone because the game is clearly structured to be for the PSP.

cj_iwakura

I wouldn't go so far as to say this is worth that price, but I enjoyed the XIII saga, so I can't be mad at someone who enjoys them. If the Neptunia games can have their fans, no reason XIII can't.

Vamphuntr

Not surprised unfortunately but I believe tempering your expectations was always recommended for this title. My main concern is how to de-portabilize the title for the PS4 and XBone because the game is clearly structured to be for the PSP.

Yeah this is what I am thinking too. It's clearly a PSP game just like MGS Peace Walker is and many people hated the console port because it felt like an handheld game.

Unless they redo the whole structure of the game, I doubt they can do anything. It also overall doesn't have the polish of a console FF game. People had divisive opinions about FFXIII but it still was very polished compared to Type-0.

It's a SE effort in the same vein as Crisis Core and The Third Birthday. If you are thinking it's the savior to the FF brand you will be disappointed.

If you temper your expectations and think more of something along the like of these 2 games you will probably enjoy it for what it is.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anything over 40 seems unreasonable considering they have lagged to hell and back and want people to pay that SquareEnix tax when they should have at the very least done something about releasing the PSP version on the US PSN 2 years ago.

Sykotik

I was fairly excited to see this, but I've recently completed a play-through of the PSP version and they're going to have to make some serious adjustments to the game-play to get me to bite again.

Aeana

It's the right price.
Toriyama didn't even work on this game, Perfo.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry. I'm sure Toriyama will weasel his way to assess the scenario writing staff on XV to do his part on the FF Quality Assurance Committee.

I still think that this Quality Assurance Committee thing is just a way to keep Toriyama out of games lol. Like XIII-2 and LR did. Keep him busy with other things.

Given the way SE is going, maybe in another 5 years we might actually be clamouring for more Toriyama.
" Remember those good old days? at least we still had Toriyama, his half baked executed ideas and horrible plot. Now it's all free to play mobile games. Where is Toriyama-san???"

I still think that this Quality Assurance Committee thing is just a way to keep Toriyama out of games lol. Like XIII-2 and LR did. Keep him busy with other things.

Given the way SE is going, maybe in another 5 years we might actually be clamouring for more Toriyama.
" Remember those good old days? at least we still had Toriyama, his half baked executed ideas and horrible plot. Now it's all free to play mobile games. Where is Toriyama-san???"
I don't know. I'm not yearning for a return to the Wada days. Sakaguchi era, sure, but when Square started to go on that downward slump, there's no part of it I would prefer rather than a return to the golden age. It would be like the choice between the lesser of two evils, but no matter how you cut it, you're still choosing evil.

If anything, I think the Quality Assurance Committee allows Toriyama to get his grubby little hands into every FF pie out there. I wouldn've never put that man into such a group with so much power. If anything, there are many other people at Square far more deserving of spots on that committee than he is. If anything, give him control of the mobile sector and let him create his own IP to twist into whatever hellish franchise he wants and be done with it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
70 bucks in the U.S.? For one HD remaster? Nah. Can't be.... But then again, if this is true, S-E would prove me wrong again except this time, it wouldn't be good.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

This is just like TLoU remaster too......Yeah.

All PS4 games – new or HD remasters – are sold for that price. I don't understand why S-E should lose money instead. Given also how much more efforts will be put in it compared to TRhd, TLoUhd, GTAV hd and so on. In this market and nowdays that's a fair price. They're doing the right thing, like anyone else. If you don't like the price, don't buy.

He has to do something while Toriyama is currently on hiatus :p

Toriyama didn't even work on this game, Perfo.

Reason why the game will just be avarage. But that's not a big problem, afterall he is definitely working on FFXVI or some new big remake (FF7) or spinoff (FFX-3). Gogo Toriyama-sama!

kuroshiki

All PS4 games – new or HD remasters – are sold for that price. I don't understand why S-E should lose money instead. Given also how much more efforts will be put in it compared to TRhd, TLoUhd, GTAV hd and so on. In this market and nowdays that's a fair price. They're doing the right thing, like anyone else. If you don't like the price, don't buy.

Exactly.

(goes on buying something else instead) No money for you, SE.

looks at price...
130.gif

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It's funny how this game – when it was exclusive just to Japan – was told to be a game of great value and a whole better than Toriyama's games, the true XIII game that should've been taken here and given alot more attentions! Then now little by little the same people are tailoring down the expectations of worldwide players "it's not that good, it's still a portable game, suffers of some story-telling problem like XIII and so on you know [...]" and when you click in the translation-topic you find pages of "what an ugly game!" "worst final dungeon everrrrr" "terrible battle systemmm" or even "god I even enjoyed XIII-2 and LR way moreeeee".

Lmao...
Final Fantasy Fans.

if this is the image quality we get, at least the character model is good....

but I don't see why PS3/360 can't handle this (dat flat ground).

AKQ.jpg

They can handle it but doesn't make any sense to release a PS3/360 game in 2015 when every hardcore player (FF fanbase) will already own either PS4 or ONE.

are you being serious

Perfo is always serious about his alternate-universe Square-Enix.

It has to be a mistake/placeholder. There's no logical explanation to sell a PSP remaster for full price, especially on PS4.

I'm reasonably confident that anything presented as a PSP remaster (regardless of what upgrades it might have) will not be allowed as a full-price game by Sony, given their policies on such things in the past.

Shinta

Banned
As is the case most of the time, I honestly don't understand why everyone is bullying Perfo because of this post. His opinion may differ from yours, but he makes several valid points to back up his thought process. Nothing in the post is excessive, fanboyish, or insulting to anyone. Nothing in the post is stated without multiple examples of his reasons for thinking it.

Why is it fine to let threads devolve into bullying, and drive by shit posts just because you disagree with him? He's discussing the topic at hand without insulting anyone, or breaking any rules of the site. Why are mods insulting him even?

Anyway .... on to the post.

Pricing seems really fine to me, afterall TOMB RAIDER PS4/ONE and similar products have been sold for 59,00/64,00 euros with just little changes, and weren't even new games when republished.

This is definitely true. The Last of Us is going to be full price remastered, and I'm sure GTA V will be as well. And Tomb Raider was as well. All 3 are not only not new games, but barely over a year old when the remaster comes out. So, this is a perfectly valid point.
Type-0 on the other hand it's first a full new game for most of the world

Yep.
and second it's more a remake than what TR was for PS4.

Well, we don't know yet. It's certainly possible.
It'll definitive require more efforts to develop giving how much of it will get to be rebuild from scratch to adapt the game from PSP,

This is exactly my line of thinking as well. In TR, they remade some assets, character models, and added new graphical effects. In Type-0 HD, I don't see how it really works as a PS4 game unless they alter significant portions of the level design, the character models, the graphics, the lighting, the textures, the enemy AI, the amount of enemies on screen, the controls, the load times, and on and on.
plus add to this the huge amount of work for translation and dubbing in english.

Another valid point.
It's the right price.

It's the standard PS4 game price, and so far, the standard price for all remastered games on PS4. We'll see how much work they put into it. I'm expecting a lot, personally.

aravuus

It's funny how this game – when it was exclusive just to Japan – was told to be a game of great value and a whole better than Toriyama's games, the true XIII game that should've been taken here and given alot more attentions! Then now little by little the same people are tailoring down the expectations of worldwide players "it's not that good, it's still a portable game, suffers of some story-telling problem like XIII and so on you know [...]" and when you click in the translation-topic you find pages of "what an ugly game!" "worst final dungeon everrrrr" "terrible battle systemmm" or even "god I even enjoyed XIII-2 and LR way moreeeee".

Lmao...
Final Fantasy Fans.

Wtf? The translation thread is full of people completely new to the game, of course you're gonna see those kind of posts cause the game is shit. Story-telling is shit, the final dungeon is shit, battle system is, after the initial couple of chapters, shit.

I don't think anyone called it ugly tho, it's very good looking for a PSP game.

duckroll

I'm reasonably confident that anything presented as a PSP remaster (regardless of what upgrades it might have) will not be allowed as a full-price game by Sony, given their policies on such things in the past.

Yes, but I think the rules might not be as clear cut if we're talking about a game which was never released in that region to begin with. Furthermore, it might have been a PS3 policy to begin with, since the examples we saw were all of PS2 and PSP titles being remastered to PS3. With the PS4/XB1, it might be a whole different ball game.

Price is laughably bad and moreso if we take Kagari's words into account.

I can see it now, reviewers and everyone complaining about price plus portable nature of the game. And of course a flurry of "Should've ported to Vita" comments.

Yes, but I think the rules might not be as clear cut if we're talking about a game which was never released in that region to begin with. Furthermore, it might have been a PS3 policy to begin with, since the examples we saw were all of PS2 and PSP titles being remastered to PS3. With the PS4/XB1, it might be a whole different ball game.

plus, they know they got the fans by the bollocks, so pay up we will all pay up
plus, this would make sense of the whole no vita port nonsense, since they justify the premium price tag with being a next gen game

ZeroX03

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ Perfo and Shinta, never seen any people so densely devoted to a company.

Using Tomb Raider as an example is terrible. It dropped from $60 to $30 within less than two months of release on both physical and digital. Square-Enix's pricing basically just takes advantage of people stupid enough to pay for it on launch. Lightning Returns was down to $25 within 3 months. XIII and XIII-2 also dropped to half price quickly. XIV has been what, $12 digital (though as a subscription MMO that's a bit more understandable). Full price for a PSP port is not justified. And like all their other games it'll drop like a rock. TLoU Remastered also comes with the DLC too. That's $80 down to $60. Another poor comparison.

FFX HD priced at $40 - which is reasonable - and has only gone down to $30 since launch. The good value, good quality game holds onto its price for longer. That is not a coincidence.

Shinta

Banned
Jesus fucking Christ Perfo and Shinta, never seen any people so densely devoted to a company.

Using Tomb Raider as an example is terrible. It dropped from $60 to $30 within less than two months of release on both physical and digital. Square-Enix's pricing basically just takes advantage of people stupid enough to pay for it on launch. Lightning Returns was down to $25 within 3 months. XIII and XIII-2 also dropped to half price quickly. XIV has been what, $12 digital (though as a subscription MMO that's a bit more understandable). Full price for a PSP port is not justified. And like all their other games it'll drop like a rock.

FFX HD priced at $40 - which is reasonable - and has only gone down to $30 since launch. The good value, good quality game holds onto its price for longer. That is not a coincidence.

Try to make your point without insulting me next time.

Your point is that games drop in price. Yes, they do. So wait for a price drop if you want. No idea why this point is contentious
or even relevant honestly

The Witcher 2 was like, $3.50 yesterday by the way.

ZeroX03

Banned
Try to make your point without insulting me next time.

Your point is that games drop in price. Yes, they do. So wait for a price drop if you want. No idea why this point is contentious
or even relevant honestly

The Witcher 2 was like, $3.50 yesterday by the way.

The point is that Square-Enix games drop in price incredibly quickly because they're shit and/or overpriced. Tomb Raider dropped in price quickly because it wasn't worth $60. It was a bad idea for SE to price it that way, and it was just to take advantage of Day Oners. Your argument that "oh, Tomb Raider was $60 so that justifies Type-0 being $60 too" doesn't work. TLoU comparison also doesn't fit which you didn't address either.

If you can't see why this is relevant, then you are dense. People jump on your posts because you two are wrong. $60/€70 for a single PSP remaster is not justified.

Also "plus add to this the huge amount of work for translation and dubbing in english." is also not a valid point. Square-Enix already paid for that years ago and then decided to write-off Type-0. That money was wasted until now, this is them actually recouping it.

Renpatsu

I'd just like to point out 'huge costs of localisation' seems to fly in the face of popular conjecture in that S-E has been sitting on a full localisation (including VO) for some time now. Indeed that alone was reason enough for fans to anticipate this release so fervently irrespective of the quality of the game.

So whatever points you might have for the rumoured price I don't think you can point to the associated costs of localisation as one of them. For all intents and purposes the bulk of that work (if not all) seems to be done.

This is of course only referring to the translation, not specifically the act of getting a game approved in multiple regions etc.

Shinta

Banned
If you can't see why this is relevant, then you are dense.

If I don't agree with your line of reasoning, you insult me again?

Can you please attempt to make your points without insulting me or fellow posters here? Thank you.

I have a different opinion than you do. That is possible to do without fighting. I thought that was literally part of the rules of even posting here. Bullying Perfo is not justified just because you disagree with him. I thought his points were all perfectly sound. Nothing you posted changed my mind.

Shinta

Banned
It's not an opinion Shinta. You're just wrong.

Believe me, I fully feel the same way about pretty much everything you've said. Do you realize that?

That is why discussion aims to be civil. Otherwise what do you propose we do here? Shout until one of us gives up? Gang up on dissenting opinions and bully them until they leave?

That's not a very interesting discussion.

Top Bottom