• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to PS4/Xbox One (no Vita), Agito coming too (iOS/And)

So... last I knew about this game was it was "the best FF" released in years(I know some will say that's not hard, etc.) As someone who is excited by the game and doesn't care about the right or wrong of pricing... how is the game over all?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So... last I knew about this game was it was "the best FF" released in years(I know some will say that's not hard, etc.) As someone who is excited by the game and doesn't care about the right or wrong of pricing... how is the game over all?

Seems to be a love it or hate it game.

Renpatsu

Seems to be a love it or hate it game.

Pretty much the case. I suspect I enjoyed it more than most.

For example I don't think the lack of character focus in regards to Class 0 was a real issue for me. Their individual characterisation was just enough to carve out a distinct identity, but for the most part we're RPing as the entire class (which I found novel) as opposed to a single individual like in most RPGs.

It leads to some strange quirks like people not referring specifically to the 'you' that you're currently playing or not recognising you despite being the subject of conversation etc.

Stefan™;117407579 said:
So can we expect 60fps for this?

I actually think given the nature of the release and the consoles they're targeting this is actually likely.

There's no reason to get worked up over a price that is highly unlikely to be official. They aren't going to sell a PSP remaster for full price on PS4 unless it was a Wind Waker HD type of remaster where there was a ton of work put into it. (and Kagari said thats not what it is).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pretty much the case. I suspect I enjoyed it more than most.

For example I don't think the lack of character focus in regards to Class 0 was a real issue for me. Their individual characterisation was just enough to carve out a distinct identity, but for the most part we're RPing as the entire class (which I found novel) as opposed to a single individual like in most RPGs.

It leads to some strange quirks like people not referring specifically to the 'you' that you're currently playing or not recognising you despite being the subject of conversation etc.

Yes instead of a MC you have the whole class to make up one unit. I personally put the game along the lines of a Dynasty Warriors game on the love it or hate it level. Much of the game design reminded me of a linear RPG version of a Musou game. Should have went full out Musou for those RTS battles. Since it was so similar was the reason I liked it so much. And GILGAMESH.

Renpatsu

Yes instead of a MC you have the whole class to make up one unit. I personally put the game along the lines of a Dynasty Warriors game on the love it or hate it level. Much of the game design reminded me of a linear RPG version of a Musou game. Should have went full out Musou for those RTS battles. Since it was so similar was the reason I liked it so much. And GILGAMESH.

I'd probably play a full on Type-0 musou game. Given the nature of the storyline this is one of the few FFs where that gameplay could be completely justified.

Shahed

Shinta, always a good read. I don't get the Perfo bashing but some are just determined to be uncivil and rude.

As much as I might disagree with the 3 of you quite often, there's no reason to be people to be borderline hostile if they think you are wrong

Aeana

The impressions in the fan translation thread are really bad...

Fix some shit SE.
There's a couple of people who don't like it, and a bunch of people who do like it. Total shock: people have different tastes. Saying that the aggregate impressions in the fan translation are bad would be a gross mischaracterization.

A lot of people built their hype up to unbelievable, unattainable levels though, and they have nobody to blame but themselves. It's a good game with some issues.

There's a couple of people who don't like it, and a bunch of people who do like it. Total shock: people have different tastes. Saying that the aggregate impressions in the fan translation are bad would be a gross mischaracterization.

A lot of people built their hype up to unbelievable, unattainable levels though, and they have nobody to blame but themselves. It's a good game with some issues.
Are you telling me, that a untranslated jRPG got inflated to the status of canonical classic solely for its unavailability?!
for clairty sake's: yes, im being facetious

Same thing that will probably happen with FFXV, no doubt.

There will be love, there will be hate, there will be disappointment, there will be passionate defending...
So in other words: yeah... it's another Final Fantasy. :p

HeelPower

People who didn't like FFXIII and were desperate for new games probably exaggerated how good this game is.

I bet this game isn't better when you sum everything up.I am talking about FFXIII-1 obviously.

Renpatsu

To be fair a small sample size primarily made up of dedicated fans tends to skew early observations.

Moreover so much of it had to do with the fact that last generation the mainline Final Fantasy games didn't go beyond the world of XIII, unlike previous generations where there were multiple releases each set in its own universe and therefore no one title had to shoulder the brunt of expectations in a given console cycle.

So better or worse that is subjective, but it is different (even coupled with the shared lore) and with that its own pros and cons when measured against the XIII series.

FFXIV was last generation too...

I thought about that, but for the most part XIV was a bit of an infamous non-entity for the majority of last gen with its initial 2010 release and then re-release in 2013 (luckily one of the high points for FF). While it may have factored in to the perception of Final Fantasy as a whole I don't think its release changed the fact that for many people an over-saturation of XIII over the course of last gen lead to a fatigue with the franchise.

Toth

To be fair a small sample size primarily made up of dedicated fans tends to skew early observations.

Moreover so much of it had to do with the fact that last generation the mainline Final Fantasy games didn't go beyond the world of XIII, unlike previous generations where there were multiple releases each set in its own universe and therefore no one title had to shoulder the brunt of expectations in a given console cycle.

So better or worse that is subjective, but it is different (even coupled with the shared lore) and with that its own pros and cons when measured against the XIII series.

FFXIV was last generation too...

creid

I'd just like to point out 'huge costs of localisation' seems to fly in the face of popular conjecture in that S-E has been sitting on a full localisation (including VO) for some time now. Indeed that alone was reason enough for fans to anticipate this release so fervently irrespective of the quality of the game.

So whatever points you might have for the rumoured price I don't think you can point to the associated costs of localisation as one of them. For all intents and purposes the bulk of that work (if not all) seems to be done.

This is of course only referring to the translation, not specifically the act of getting a game approved in multiple regions etc.
I don't agree that a more expensive translation should necessarily increase the MSRP of the finished product, but even if this money was spent years ago, it still needs to be made back.

Taruranto

You said it yourself, to be "the best FF" released in years is not exactly an hard feat, I mean, what's the competition? FFXIII? FFVII compilation garbage? Wow with a FF skin XIV lol?

I think it's a discrete game, definitely overhyped (I guess by people who didn't play it), kinda limited by the PSP and with a messy story on par with FFXIII toward the later chapter.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
and with a story on par with FFXIII toward the later chapter.

This is good to hear because XIII's story remains my favorite in the franchise. I think I'm in love with the FNC 'cause of his articulated (somewhat confusing) mithology and how then it's handled differently by each author.

jWILL253

Banned
I really hope that's just a placeholder price. No PSP remaster is worth that much. Not even $60 is acceptable.

Also, I would like to live in the world of those popular SE apologists, where not only is a previously unreleased stateside PSP remaster in the same vein as highly popular, chart-topping, critically acclaimed PS3 titles in terms of pricing, but also where Toriyama is the reincarnation of Shakespeare...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Can't wait to see reactions on XV since Tabata is on that one too. Bring me the Open World Musou!

Soriku

I already know some people like the game, but you'd think there would be someone positive in that thread if it were a good game with some issues. But everyone put it down which was a surprise to me. So I'm hoping they fix some stuff now that they're porting it and to consoles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I already know some people like the game, but you'd think there would be someone positive in that thread if it were a good game with some issues. But everyone put it down which was a surprise to me. So I'm hoping they fix some stuff now that they're porting it and to consoles.

I think it's a great game with some flaws both in game design and storywise but it isn't in any way a bad game. I just see little point in discussing why I think it's a great FF game when others have already made up their mind that the game is terrible because the gameplay and story isn't for them.

Soriku

I think it's a great game with some flaws both in game design and storywise but it isn't in any way a bad game. I just see little point in discussing why I think it's a great FF game when others have already made up their mind that the game is terrible because the gameplay and story isn't for them.

I think it's too late to make any big changes to the story, but they could probably do gameplay fixes. Like allowing you to accept more than one quest at a time as one example.

Valkyria

Banned
The thing is that is not a Final Fantasy game alas FFVII,FFVIII or FFIX. It is closer to Crisis Core than to those games. If every party member could gain experience in missions, or at least more than 3 at a time, and gaining experience was not such a pain in the ass, at least at the beginning of the game, it would be way better.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

The game is average. Simple as that.

Yes, but I think the rules might not be as clear cut if we're talking about a game which was never released in that region to begin with.

Based on what we heard from publishers, this policy applied regardless of whether the game was originally released in the US (since we had this come up with both Type-0 and TiTS, among others.)

Furthermore, it might have been a PS3 policy to begin with

Sure, but I kind of doubt they decided that making their brand-new powerful system look like crap with uprezzed sub-PS2 games is cool but doing that on their older, less powerful system is totes unacceptable. SCEA has been surprisingly consistent on applying these types of rules throughout their entire history, and while it's certainly possible they've stopped now I don't find it incredibly likely.

I already know some people like the game, but you'd think there would be someone positive in that thread if it were a good game with some issues.

There are people who are positive in that thread, maybe you should read it again?

Top Bottom