• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rpgmonkey said:
Blizz is so rad.

I wonder what the in-game stuff (and the battle system set up) look like now. It's been years since we've seen anything, even any target-renders...

EGM said it was up and running on PS3 last year so hopefully at DKS3713 or TGS we'll actually see in-game on PS3 footage.

hteng

Banned
i know i'm 86 pages late but..

OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG
OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG

OMFG!!! SONY AM LOOOOSE!

ATT00009.gif
ATT00009.gif
ATT00009.gif
ATT00009.gif
ATT00009.gif
ATT00009.gif

time to get that fucking green box

btkadams

Loudninja said:
i dunno, that freeze shot of gameplay looks really really jagged and well.... not as good as the media has been hyping it? ive always read in mags, people saying how square said theyre game would look almost identical to the cg they were using and it evidently is nowhere near...not that it could even be possible im not sure.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
btkadams said:
i dunno, that freeze shot of gameplay looks really really jagged and well.... not as good as the media has been hyping it? ive always read in mags, people saying how square said theyre game would look almost identical to the cg they were using and it evidently is nowhere near...not that it could even be possible im not sure.

That's an old screenshot probably from a PC target render from 2 years ago. When they first showed the trailer it definitely wasn't running on PS3 yet.

btkadams

Kagari said:
That's an old screenshot probably from a PC target render from 2 years ago. When they first showed the trailer it definitely wasn't running on PS3 yet.
well thats good. even though it shouldnt really matter about the graphics anyways.. cuz ff is a great series and gameplay should suffice. plus they cg all the big cutscenes anyways.

Rpgmonkey

Kagari said:
EGM said it was up and running on PS3 last year so hopefully at DKS3713 or TGS we'll actually see in-game on PS3 footage.

Wait, DKS3713 has a new trailer?

Now I really wish it wasn't such a closed-off event. :(

Himuro said:
I can't believe this thread is still alive.
Consider that it's the new de facto console wars repository and is to a large extent keeping a LOT of the post-E3 bullshit in a single thread. That's my guess as to why it hasn't been closed yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rpgmonkey said:
Wait, DKS3713 has a new trailer?

Now I really wish it wasn't such a closed-off event. :(

Not sure, but insiders have mentioned that TGS will be the time where they have a media blow out with real time demos and what not, so who knows...

And I didn't see this before, but this is an interesting quote from Kitase...
Well, the Crystal Engine (replacing the White Engine) is more of a set of a general tools and items necessary for game development, so it can be adapted easily. But we do want to be clear that Final Fantasy XIII will first be created for the PS3; a game that will be specific to Sony’s hardware. And then, after the PS3 version is complete, we will move onto the Xbox 360 version. In that sense, we don’t really have anything that we can discuss at this point regarding developing Final Fantasy XIII for the Xbox 360.

I wonder if this means they'll be taking advantage of the processor and storage capacity.

Banned
Kagari said:
Not sure, but insiders have mentioned that TGS will be the time where they have a media blow out with real time demos and what not, so who knows...

And I didn't see this before, but this is an interesting quote from Kitase...

I wonder if this means they'll be taking advantage of the processor and storage capacity.

Yes, I am sure they will take advantage of the Xenos GPU and the HDD install function on the 360. :lol

Master Z

Kagari said:

That's my understanding from that quote. They must be pretty confident in their crystal tools and it sounds like they don't expect much trouble in porting it to 360 even if the game is built "specific to Sony's hardware". And I hope they're right because I would really hate to see the NA version get delayed because of porting problems.

Banned
Master Z said:
That's my understanding from that quote. They must be pretty confident in their crystal tools and it sounds like they don't expect much trouble in porting it to 360 even if the game is built "specific to Sony's hardware". And I hope they're right because I would really hate to see the NA version get delayed because of porting problems.

Wasn`t it built on the PC and ported to the PS3? So they will be porting from the PC to 360.

Zoe

Karma said:
Wasn`t it built on the PC and ported to the PS3? So they will be porting from the PC to 360.

All games start on the PC. SE's responses are too vague to guess whether there's actually a "PC version."

jett

D-Member
Aru said:
Wrong. The battle sequences (those with and without HUD) in that big tunnel and the forest sequence are in-game footage.

They're not.

Those scenes are just target/concept renders, what they were aiming for in-game graphics, from two years ago. And the snippets shown in the E3 trailer of 2008 are unchanged. :p Sometimes I have a hard time beleiving it's even possible to play game in any capacity at this point.

Loudninja

Karma said:

No
The Xbox 360 iteration is a port of the PS3 build, but Square was quick to point out that you can't say this will cause a delay of the PS3 release in America. Separate teams are working on the two versions and both are moving along on schedule. There shouldn't be a delay in any releases.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/890/890359p1.html

Hunahan

Banned
Kagari said:
"Take advantage of the storage capacity" how, exactly?

It's not like Final Fantasy has never appeared on multiple disks.

I just don't understand why people act like every game that's not on a blu-ray has a hard limit of 7 gigs or something. There have been so many releases, throughout history and on many consoles, that have just proven this to be a ridiculous argument. Including the PS1 and PS2.

It's fine that PS3 plays a new movie format, but the actual benefit of development for a linear JRPG is zero.

The only differential is in how it is distributed.

Will the PS3 version come on one Blu-Ray? I'm sure it will.

Is there anything about the development process that will change as a result of that? About the only thing I can think of is that it may very well require harddrive installs to make up for the fact that the streaming speed is lowered.

So "take advantage?" No.

But nice try.

jett

D-Member
Zoe said:
It looks decent, but it's in danger of appearing dated compared to what we've seen from other games in the past few years.

:lol Oh, dude. I'll bet you anything the final game won't even look like that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hunahan said:
But nice try.

What I meant was, will the game end up being more than 25GB in size. With all those HD prerendered cutscenes and most likely uncompressed sound as well as HD assets.

jett

D-Member
Hunahan said:

I just don't understand why people act like every game that's not on a blu-ray has a hard limit of 7 gigs or something. There have been so many releases, throughout history and on many consoles, that have just proven this to be a ridiculous argument. Including the PS1 and PS2.

It's fine that PS3 plays a new movie format, but the actual benefit of development for a linear JRPG is zero.

Is there anything about the development process that will change as a result of that? About the only thing I can think of is that it may very well require harddrive installs to make up for the fact that the streaming speed is lowered.

So "take advantage?" No.

But nice try.

I doubt FFXIII will have these problems, but the latter Final Fantasy games on PS1 (VIII and IX) had serious storage problems that multiple discs could not fix, and in the end entire areas of the game were locked in the final discs, unable to be visited in any way shape or form. So, yeah, they could've benefitted greatly from more storage capacity. :p

Who knows what will happen with XIII.

Loudninja

So "take advantage?" No.

But nice try.

You trying to make something out of nothing...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Every time this thread is bumped... another tear falls down my face and into my box of Pocky. :(

jett said:
I doubt FFXIII will have these problems, but the latter Final Fantasy games on PS1 (VIII and IX) had serious storage problems that multiple discs could not fix, and in the end entire areas of the game were locked in the final discs, unable to be visited in any way shape or form. So, yeah, they could've benefitted greatly from more storage capacity. :p

I actually don't think this was the case... most of the information distributed across multiple discs were the FMVs. The locked areas were probably design choices unless the developers have stated otherwise. They take up hardly anything on the disc.

Now... Final Fantasy XII did feature some heavily compressed voices. That was annoying.

jett

D-Member
BocoDragon said:
Every time this thread is bumped... another tear falls down my face and into my box of Pocky. :(

I actually don't think this was the case... most of the information distributed across multiple discs were the FMVs. The locked areas were probably design choices unless the developers have stated otherwise. They take up hardly anything on the disc.

Now... Final Fantasy XII did feature some heavily compressed voices. That was annoying.

Yeah, what I was getting at was that the areas were locked because they were saving space for the endgame FMVs. TBH, the locking never made sense to me plotwise in either game. Hell, I don't think they even explain it in FF9.

And YES, the sound compression in XII is horriffic. AM radio sounds nicer.

Master Z

Karma said:

From my understanding the crystal tools were developed on the PC and then optimized for PS3. So crystal tools are building blocks that can be optimized to fit the spec of whatever platform it's being used for, I think. I could be wrong but I don't know why they would code the game on PC and then port to PS3, more like port the crystal tools to work on PS3 and code from there.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jett said:
Yeah, what I was getting at was that the areas were locked because they were saving space for the endgame FMVs. TBH, the locking never made sense to me plotwise in either game. Hell, I don't think they even explain it in FF9.
I just don't think that's the case.. The game data and pre-rendered backgrounds take up almost nothing on the disc... the only thing that really prevented FMVs from fitting on every disc was the other FMVs.

Hell FF7 had the game data and prerendered backgrounds cloned on each disc... the only thing differing between the discs was the FMVs. I think the other games were similar but I never checked.

I think they locked areas in the latter games because they didn't want to imply that they had programmed new sidequests for them. There was no point in going to these areas, and their theory at the time was that you might as well just lock them (which I disagree with).

I could be wrong, but I believe that the multiple disc phenom was entirely due to FMV. All of FF7, 8 and 9 would have fit on a single disc without the movies.

Hunahan

Banned
jett said:

Nah, the last disk is almost always the smallest one (including FF9). Actual space limits are hardly ever a problem for fitting the entire world, and even on the single-disk FFX you ran into the same phenomenon. It's a conscious choice.

If you want my honest opinion about why the games are designed this way, I believe that like many aspects of JRPG design, it is incorporated to sell hint guides. If you could actually go back to every aspect of the game, the need to have someone walk you through the important objectives to complete before proceeding wouldn't exist.

It's cynical to look at things this way, but it's pretty difficult to really ignore that some of the obscure "secrets" are specifically planned to ensure that extra pop, and having that one area where you can never go back to is a part of this.

Loudninja said:
You trying to make something out of nothing...
Eh. I don't think I'm making something out of nothing so much as I'm sick of hearing the same thing over and over that doesn't make sense.

Either way, I shouldn't have taken the bait. People will believe whatever they want to.

Final Fantasy V had areas locked in the endgame, and it was on a cartridge. I think it might just be a way to save on scripting - recompiling the game without certain areas included in the code might honestly take more effort than just closing some areas off. The prerendered backgrounds do take up some space, true, but I'm almost certain they're not taken out of the final discs of 8/9. Just blocked off. I could be wrong.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wait....has FFXIII been announced for PC too???

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got to be fake.

Diablos

jett said:

What specific areas?

I always assumed that for FF7-9, the entire game world fit on one disc; the only thing that made it require more was the video.

There's another post on IGN where some guy basically feels like he should "not be here" or something to that effect over FF13 going multi. Very, very sad...

Aeana

Diablos said:
What specific areas?

I always assumed that for FF7-9, the entire game world fit on one disc; the only thing that made it require more than one was the video.

I know that's true in FF7's case, at least.

Deus Ex Machina said:
So is he mad that he spent ~$200 extra when he didn't need to? Does he really, really hate the PS3 and mad at S-E because they made him believe he was forced to buy it? Is he a HUGE Sony fanboy who thought the PS3 would dominate and is only now resolving his cognitive dissonance?

The mind boggles.

By the way, I thought that some of you might get a kick out of this blast from the past. It's chock full of healthy, delicious crow for just about everyone in it.

Jirotrom

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So is he mad that he spent ~$200 extra when he didn't need to? Does he really, really hate the PS3 and mad at S-E because they made him believe he was forced to buy it? Is he a HUGE Sony fanboy who thought the PS3 would dominate and is only now resolving his cognitive dissonance?

The mind boggles.

By the way, I thought that some of you might get a kick out of this blast from the past. It's chock full of healthy, delicious crow for just about everyone in it.
I'm convinced people are stupid, btw... have you received the DS games yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom