• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

HeelPower

There was supposed to be this mountain that looked really cool, with lightning and thunder all around it. And a Falcie Ramuh that was really huge.

yeah like this Ramuh and Diabolos Fal'Cie

That Ramuh design is really good.I really wish to explore more of Pulse as it is portrayed in FFXIII.There is a certain air of mystery and strangeness about it.

There is so much of this stuff unknown to us ,and ,since XIII-2 and LR took different directions,these things will forever be left unexplored :/

These are such ambitious and unique designs.

I am happy Taejin's Tower and Dhaka made into the game.

Rainy

Banned
Just finished Lightning Returns today (which I enjoyed a lot more than i thought I would), but I might pick this up when it comes out. Haven't played FF13 in quite a long time. I hope I can still enjoy the battle system, LRs was superb imo.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
That Ramuh design is really good.I really wish to explore more of Pulse as it is portrayed in FFXIII.There is a certain air of mystery and strangeness about it.

There is so much of this stuff unknown to us ,and ,since XIII-2 and LR took different directions,these things will forever be left unexplored :/

These are such ambitious and unique designs.

I was disappointed when they went with time travel as a plot point with XIII-2 when it should have been about surviving and exploring Gran Pulse.

We need a spinoff for that:( Final Fantasy XIII-1.5 or something.

Pachimari

Playing through Final Fantasy X now, and I hope I can get through it and complete it sometime by next month, so that I can get started on FFXIII as well.

At least I understand way more of FFX than I did years ago.

HeelPower

I was disappointed when they went with time travel as a plot point with XIII-2 when it should have been about surviving and exploring Gran Pulse.

I always dreamed that XIII-2 would be all about exploring pulse the way it was in XIII's late game ,but instead the whole game will be designed as such.

But what came was these tiny zones broken up in the historia crux.

This is why I consider XIII-2 to be relatively a disappointment.It didn't build on what XIII set up with Gran Pulse.A wild,mysterious world.

Falk

that puzzling face

We need a spinoff for that:( Final Fantasy XIII-1.5 or something.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed XIII-2 for what it was, that was quite a bummer. My enjoyment of the story was pretty much proportional to how far away from 0AF it was (outside of Noel's
little depression stint which was pretty :( in its own way
)

edit: Imagine a game set entirely in 10AF, with XIII's combat and XII's overall structure/world map. Using FFXIV's engine.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I always dreamed that XIII-2 would be all about exploring pulse the way it was in XIII's late game ,but instead the whole game will be designed as such.

But what came was these tiny zones broken up in the historia crux.

This is why I consider XIII-2 to be relatively a disappointment.It didn't build on what XIII set up with Gran Pulse.A wild,mysterious world.

They should have taken what they did with the Archylte Steppe in XIII and built the world with that kind of scale and polish in mind. I guess we sort of got it with LR but I really didn't care about that world and it wasn't as big as they want us to think it was.

Falk

that puzzling face
I would imagine so ,but LR clearly had its own distinctive new art.

It seems XIII was truly a massive project with tons of concepts that we'll never know about.I bet this extends to the story and the lore too.

Eh, I mean the entire thing was a mess of concepts till shortly before the vertical slice push, so I don't know if it's fair to think about this in the usual game dev framing.

Rainy

Banned
Well considering I just finished it....my god LR looks pretty bad during a lot of scenes. The framerate drops...those character models...its been a while but i think FF13 looked a lot better.

all the Fal'Cie looked great and I would of liked to of fought them all despite appearing briefly like this thing:
Pulse_Vestige_guardian.jpg
if it doesn't make sense story wise, make it a side thing just to fight

HeelPower

Eh, I mean the entire thing was a mess of concepts till shortly before the vertical slice push, so I don't know if it's fair to think about this in the usual game dev framing.

Didn't they say spent years simply generating concepts and assets with no specific schedule ?

I guess LR's concepts could've been part of that process.

They should have taken what they did with the Archylte Steppe in XIII and built the world with that kind of scale and polish in mind. I guess we sort of got it with LR but I really didn't care about that world and it wasn't as big as they want us to think it was.

yeah it was definitely a missed opportunity that LR tried to remedy.

But by that point they had to put out LR too quickly for that kind of scale to happen.

I can take random bosses if they look as good as this.

I mean, throw in a small cave dungeon they have to go through and at the end... BAM! Diabolos boss fight now, get hype.

I would imagine so ,but LR clearly had its own distinctive new art.

It seems XIII was truly a massive project with tons of concepts that we'll never know about.I bet this extends to the story and the lore too.

Too bad i suppose, but then again, it would be repetitive to keep the same style for three games (that takes 30hours+ each).

Falk

that puzzling face
I honestly liked what Toriyama/Kitase/Abe were trying to do with LR, but like people have pointed out, there wasn't enough resources or time to let it bake fully, and then if there was, it would probably have been a standalone game rather than an unprecedented 2nd sequel.

Valkyrie Profile 3 where are you :(

edit@above:
LzpMddXs.jpg
probably fits the best with the Final Fantasy aesthetic.

Pachimari

Already 2:15 hours into Final Fantasy X this morning. It's fantastic, and I don't remember much from it years ago. Hopefully I can beat it before FFXIII.

Cronox

Banned
I just can't shake the feeling that this will be worse than the PS3 version in a couple ways: compressed sound and FMVs. Didn't the PS3 version use pretty much the whole dual layer disc? The Steam version is sitting at 30 gigs required hdd space.

Hesemonni

Banned
I can live with PS3 quality textures and all the console features, but are we to expect the game to be native 720p like the PS3 version?

Gbraga

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning Returns

This one, please.

EDIT: Maaaan, never saw thoe unused designs before. If they used some of that stuff, Pulse would be infinitely more interesting.

Though I guess it would need more complex level design to work with all that.

Fireblend

Banned
Alright, I've never played FF XIII (I have played and finished most of the numbered ones though except the online ones) but I just preordered this and I've set my hype to "cautiously optimistic".

Let's do this.

First time I played this game through, I got to the area right before the Final Boss in the story, and ended up selling my PS3. I've only played a little XIII-2 and none of LR.
Definitely looking to actually finish the game this time through, though the laptop I'm using may end up getting a wee bit on the warm side.

Kind of hyped up again. I know what it's gonna be like this time through, and should be able to enjoy the game on its own merits rather than being stupidly overhyped for something different to the end product.
The only clear memories I have of this game are from Fifth Ark and Taejin's Tower, and I do remember liking those areas alot.
Yay!

LuuKyK

Yoshi, did you claim the rights to do the OT for XIII-2 PC too? Because i am really interested in doing it (it would be my first ot too :eek:). Please let me know if its available.

Edit: just saw you claimed it in the ot ot. Maybe I can help you out then with some graphics and ideas. :p

iosefe

Yoshi, did you claim the rights to do the OT for XIII-2 PC too? Because i am really interested in doing it (it would be my first ot too :eek:). Please let me know if its available.

Edit: just saw you claimed it in the ot ot. Maybe I can help you out then with some graphics and ideas. :p
the spirit of collaboration! make it happen, Yoshi!
Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| L'cie how fast you get the full battle system

i chuckled

Pachimari

Yeah if I had to pick one moment as my favorite it would definitely be that.

Completely blew me away.
I love your avatar!

Playing through Final Fantasy X at the moment and Lulu is clearly my favorite in the cast so far. Auron is badass too.

But I'm only 4 hours in.

Is there a Final Fantasy community thread?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sure LuuKyK! Let's cooperate with the XIII-2 thread! I'm not gonna start working on that until they give us a release date though!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you need creative/graphic design effort from me, I can support you too, just let me know!

I draw, too.
This is fucking brilliant. I'll definitely want to colab with you on some other project some day (maybe LR: FFXIII OT?) Do you have Steam?

edit: wow, I keep going through your stuff... you're incredible

Yoshichan

Not really. That's not how OTs work. Hence why PC/PS4/Xbone GTAV, The Last of Us PS4 and pretty much anything else that gets released a few years after initial release gets a new OT.

Gbraga

We already have OT's for the three XIII games hence why they are the Official Threads. There is no need for a new one just for PC. We'll just update the current OT's.

Dark Souls II got a PC OT even though it came out only a few months after.

Usually new OTs are allowed for late releases, and then mods might merge it with the old OT when it goes to Community.

You'd be right in saying there's no real need for it, but it's always nicer to have a new thread for a new crowd experiencing the game, plus, being on the Gaming forums make it more active.

LuuKyK

We already have OT's for the three XIII games hence why they are the Official Threads. There is no need for a new one just for PC. We'll just update the current OT's.

:lol your logic makes no sense whatsoever.

Usually PC versions of console games have new threads though, as essentially its a new game. Also by the time these games come out, the old threads will be old as hell, and new players will feel lost amidst all the discussion that already happened. Still, better wait for a mod to give an official answer. But thats how I see it.

Nice attempt to be a party pooper though. You tried.

I'm going to be really curious to see what kind of mods get released for these. Some sort of NG+ for FFXIII and straight-up actually ultimate weapons for XIII and XIII-2 (I'm thinking that, for example, XIII Lightning could get a weapon with both ATB Charge II and Quick Stagger, plus the best respective max attack/magic stats of any of her weapons). 'Twould be neat.

Fireblend

Banned
I've seen plenty of new OTs created for PC re-releases; I would expect FFXIII to get one as well, specially since there is a significant amount of first-time players like myself :)

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm going to be really curious to see what kind of mods get released for these. Some sort of NG+ for FFXIII and straight-up actually ultimate weapons for XIII and XIII-2 (I'm thinking that, for example, XIII Lightning could get a weapon with both ATB Charge II and Quick Stagger, plus the best respective max attack/magic stats of any of her weapons). 'Twould be neat.
Is there some basis for thinking this game will support modding to this extent?

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning, Lightning Returns and Lightning Forever

I laughed. Good job sir!

:lol your logic makes no sense whatsoever.

Usually PC versions of console games have new threads though, as essentially its a new game. Also by the time these games come out, the old threads will be old as hell, and new players will feel lost amidst all the discussion that already happened. Still, better wait for a mod to give an official answer. But thats how I see it.

Nice attempt to be a party pooper though. You tried.

My logic made perfect sense. We already have OT's that are still open. Therefore use the OT.

Yeah. That's my angle. Because I have nothing better to do then to try and bring you down. I was just linking to the OT's that are still open. I didn't realize we do OT's for ports. So defensive.

Edit: Damn. Sorry for the double post. That was my bad.

LuuKyK

I laughed. Good job sir!

My logic made perfect sense. We already have OT's that are still open. Therefore use the OT.

Yeah. That's my angle. Because I have nothing better to do then to try and bring you down. I was just linking to the OT's that are still open. I didn't realize we do OT's for ports. So defensive.

Its a very common practice around here to create new threads for new versions of a same game that are released after a certain time lapse. You've been around for some time, so its surprising you never noticed.

Also, i was not being defensive. Its just that considering your hatred towards anything XIII related, and the fact that you ressurected a XV thread just to trash the XIII battle system seconds after commenting here, seemed kinda suspicious, thats all.

But hey, its not like it matters. So its all good. ;)

Top Bottom