• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah and I did get very negative feelings towards that post. Dunno, maybe it has to do with it being very cold - no smileys, no nothing. Just plain text.

Kinda like Lightnings dialogue.

:3

HeelPower

If you need creative/graphic design effort from me, I can support you too, just let me know!

I draw, too.

Very nice tumblr. I really loved this one :

tumblr_nc7e0fNizR1skopsqo1_500.gif

I love your avatar!

Playing through Final Fantasy X at the moment and Lulu is clearly my favorite in the cast so far. Auron is badass too.

But I'm only 4 hours in.

Is there a Final Fantasy community thread?

Thanks :) , and Yes we do happen to have a Final Fantasy Community thread!

Very nice tumblr. I really loved this one :

tumblr_nc7e0fNizR1skopsqo1_500.gif

Thanks :) , and Yes we do happen to have a Final Fantasy Community thread!

Ah. Nice gif. I can get behind it.

Community thread is a good time.... most of the time. Just lots of strong opinions. Also Auron is the best.

He's just worried that SE will see all this love and profit for the PC ports. Because he knows what that will mean:
Bl_lBLTIIAAMA90.jpg

What is someone like her doing in the King's throne. Seat is reserved for Prince Noctis.

Lightning wishes she could be in FFXV. Clearly she doesn't want to be in her own game.

Seanspeed

Banned
It doesn't need to officially support it for people to figure something out. It's not like PS3 save hacking for the existing games is particularly hard.
There's lots of games that aren't conducive to modding.

I did not know about PS3 save hacks for this game, though. What kind of things are people doing with it?

Perhaps some things are just meant to be.

ZfTvYf8.jpg

It'll always baffle me that people claiming to be FF fans don't want the series to move past a certain character. I know this is hard to understand, but with regards to the main series, the only recurring "human" character is a character named Cid. So please drop it.

tumblr_m9klqprs2a1re13m6o1_500.png

artsi

I hope someone makes an undub version / patch, I played the games originally in Japanese so I'm used to the voices, but getting the Japanese version from Steam seems like a hassle.

Faabulous

It'll always baffle me that people claiming to be FF fans don't want the series to move past a certain character. I know this is hard to understand, but with regards to the main series, the only recurring "human" character is a character named Cid. So please drop it.

I think the dude you quoted was beign facetious.

I don't see myself playing through this again, tried once on PS3 and couldn't do it. I enjoyed it the first time because I like the battle system and thought that the story was interesting and not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be (though reading that prequel novel really helped a lot) but the game has absolutely no replay value. You literally push up on the analogue stick and fight monsters, so inevitably all subsequent playthroughs are a carbon copy of the first. Still blows my mind how a rpg was designed like this in the first place.
I'm replaying Tits right now because of the Steam release and I'm finding sidequest I missed the first time, messing around with different quartz setups on my characters, chilling out in towns and getting laughs out of the constantly changing npc dialogue, just exploring and doing stuff at my own pace. When I arrive in a new area I can go to the guild to check out sidequests, explore the surrounding dungeons and villages or whatever. These things are of course standard for pretty much any rpg but the bottom line is that it's incentive to revisit a game and though progression is still linear at its core there's room for a lot of little details to change and even for you to control the pacing of the game.

Even most shooters that are designed in the same linear fashion have more room for improvisation since they allow you to tackle encounters with different strategies (stealth, rambo style, sniping, etc).

Didn't mean to write a rant lol, just saying why I'll skip this one (though my brother will pick it up so I'll still be able to play it through family sharing, might fire it up just to see how it looks).

tumblr_m9klqprs2a1re13m6o1_500.png

Actually wedge and Biggs are recurring characters too.

Siddiqui

I hope someone makes an undub version / patch, I played the games originally in Japanese so I'm used to the voices, but getting the Japanese version from Steam seems like a hassle.

Will that be necessary? Go to the steam page, click on "See all 8 supported languages." Japanese is listed as having full audio. Not sure why they only mention English under 'notice' though...

iosefe

Will that be necessary? Go to the steam page, click on "See all 8 supported languages." Japanese is listed as having full audio. Not sure why they only mention English under 'notice' though...
It's an error. NA, only gets English. Asia get dual, and I think Japan is also dual

Lain

She doesn't need to be mentioned or outright appear in it, for us to feel her godly and protective presence in the game.

Inotti

I'm just playing ffxiii for the first time and I'm already at chapter 12. At this point the game is really fun but it took quite a while to get this enjoyable. The first 10 hours of ffxiii, did someone honestly enjoy it? I'm serious, it was abysmal and I have no idea how I pushed trough. I play loads of bad and medicore games and enjoy them (I even beat Star Ocean The Last Hope!) but the beginnig of FFXIII is something I couldn't do again. Restricted gameplay, story that didn't make any sense and basically NOTHING to do.

I'm still not completely sure what are l'cie, pulse l'cie, fal'cie, cieth etc. but maybe I'll manage since the gameplay after chapter 10 has been great. :D

Mohasus

I'm just playing ffxiii for the first time and I'm already at chapter 12. At this point the game is really fun but it took quite a while to get this enjoyable. The first 10 hours of ffxiii, did someone honestly enjoy it? I'm serious, it was abysmal and I have no idea how I pushed trough. I play loads of bad and medicore games and enjoy them (I even beat Star Ocean The Last Hope!) but the beginnig of FFXIII is something I couldn't do again. Restricted gameplay, story that didn't make any sense and basically NOTHING to do.

I'm still not completely sure what are l'cie, pulse l'cie, fal'cie, cieth etc. but maybe I'll manage since the gameplay after chapter 10 has been great. :D
You can enjoy the first hours if you open the datalog, then the story makes sense. Otherwise, your best option is to skip every cutscene.

l'cie, someone who goes near a fal'cie. Receives magic powers, focus and crystarium.
Pulse l'cie, a l'cie transformed by a Pulse fal'cie.
fal'cie, beings responsible for the maintenance of life, they were created by gods.
Cieth, what a l'cie becomes if they didn't finish their focus.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How common do you think mods will be? It's probably not super simple to mod, but I want to see what disgruntled fans will do to this game.

No mod tools, no source code and an engine that's never been on PC before.

I'd be surprised if we see anything beyond ENB shader sets.

Inotti

You can enjoy the first hours if you open the datalog, then the story makes sense. Otherwise, your best option is to skip every cutscene.

l'cie, someone who goes near a fal'cie. Receives magic powers, focus and crystarium.
Pulse l'cie, a l'cie transformed by a Pulse fal'cie.
fal'cie, beings responsible for the maintenance of life, they were created by gods.
Cieth, what a l'cie becomes if they didn't finish their focus.

Seriously, thanks for the short explanation! I just resently realised that there was a datalog but now there is so much I should read that I feel discouraged to even begin. :/ Oh well.

HTupolev

The first 10 hours?

Well, I managed to tolerate the first two chapters mostly on the basic aesthetics, and chapter 1 provides some vague semblance of gameplay from AoE positioning and end-of-battle ATB timing, although chapter 2 is arguably actually worse than chapter 1 as gameplay is concerned. Chapter 2 is worst chapter.

The combat system begins existing in a relatively complete way at the start of chapter 3, and that's when the game began to pick up. Chapter 4 is good stuff.

It always has 6 characters on each side. Lightning just replaces the raven-haired woman.

This.
Final_Fantasy_XV_-_Cast.PNG

Also, personally, Lightning being put in the line up just shows how much farther SE have come in CG. Because compared to everyone else looking like actual people, Lightning looks like a plastic doll.

wmlk

This.
Final_Fantasy_XV_-_Cast.PNG

Also, personally, Lightning being put in the line up just shows how much farther SE have come in CG. Because compared to everyone else looking like actual people, Lightning looks like a plastic doll.

I'm pretty sure Lightning looking like she does is pretty deliberate. The CG you're referring to is totally different.

I understand the confsuion. Photoshopped images are a nice sign to look out for though.

You'd be surprised. Some people are dead serious when they do it. We used to have people who used to say..... weird stuff.... about what they thought of a certain character. After a while a certain individual told everyone they were dead serious.

I'm pretty sure Lightning looking like she does is pretty deliberate. The CG you're referring to is totally different.

So she's supposed to look like a plastic doll? Got it.

Just commenting that Visual Works have gotten better with skin textures and eyes. They now don't look so fake and lifeless behind the eyes.

HTupolev

I'm pretty sure Lightning looking like she does is pretty deliberate.
It's deliberate, and it's also influenced by available graphical capabilities. A contributing factor to characters like Lightning not being designed entirely realistically is that techniques for creating and rendering realistic human assets weren't as good and accessible then as they are now.

And a lot of it is just knowledge, not horsepower. The Visual Works CGI from FFXIII has some skin (and eye) texturing and shading quirks that could probably be improved even with today's real-time techniques, even if overall it still completely stomps on any real-time graphics.

FF games, and their CGI, are typically much less realistic than their "realistic" contemporaries, and avoiding the bleeding edge of strict realism is part of how they manage to look good.

wmlk

So she's supposed to look like a plastic doll? Got it.

Just commenting that Visual Works have gotten better with skin textures and eyes. They now don't look so fake and lifeless behind the eyes.

Yeah? I mean that's the art style that they went for.
Even CG from Versus in 2011 was different from XIII-2 CG in the same year. It's deliberate.

Fantasy based on reality and all that jazz.

I think they went for more realistic skin shaders and looking character, I guess is because all this "based on reality" thing, or maybe a deliberate attempt to made the characters less "anime/cartonish" looking to appeal a larger western userbase.

If you watch the FF movie you can see that Visual Works could have developed more "realistic" characters years ago, but instead, that was never the intention.

PshycoNinja's Journal. October 1st, 2014: Fanboy drivel in the threads this morning, FFXIII and Lightning once again invading it. This forum is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the fanboys will drown. The accumulated filth of all their Lightning obsession and desperation will foam up about their waists and all the FF fans and PC gamers will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

wmlk

I think they went for more realistic skin shaders and looking character, I guess is because all this "based on reality" thing, or maybe a deliberate attempt to made the characters less "anime/cartonish" looking to appeal a larger western userbase.

If you watch the FF movie you can see that Visual Works could have developed more "realistic" characters years ago, but instead, that was never the intention.

Yeah, and I don't think Visual Works have improved technically much over the last 5 years. They're just awesome in terms of art style and aesthetic appeal.

UnrealEck

I appreciate FFXV's diverse looking characters. I like that they actually look plausible as humans and aren't the typical generic JRPG stuff I have drilled into my head.
I thought FFXIII's characters did quite well at this too. With the exception of a couple. I liked sazh, lightning and fang. The rest seemed really typical for some reason.

HeelPower

Yeah, and I don't think Visual Works have improved technically much over the last 5 years. They're just awesome in terms of art style and aesthetic appeal.

If these CG portraits are any indication,they definitely have improved.

Its just that the last time we saw their latest CG tech in motion was in the 2011 trailer.

I hope FFXV will have some brandnew CG to completely show off their tech(other than the 2011 stuff which I totally understand that they shouldn't simply discard that work)

Their CG work is always good, but the style varies. I hope XV keeps the style of the above pic.

But those renders is the only time the cast has looked like that(in CG art).

The latest CG art pic of the prince is comparable to their other works.

byepwduicaapgip-large.png

And PshycoNinja you seem just as obsessed with hating Light and the XIII series as we are to love them, to the point of trying to shut down a thread for the games PC releases . haha

I knew you'd love Light on Nocto's throne. haha (I didn't make it though)

HeelPower

The latest CG art pic of the prince is comparable to their other works.

byepwduicaapgip-large.png

yeah.

This one the same level and even style as the XIII saga but the 2013 had a very different style.

The noctis render looks totally different from
and even this one seems to revert to a different style more akin to advent children/XIII

I have no idea which style the game will finally have lol But maybe they are trying to unify the FNC style so who knows :/

Top Bottom