• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

This is a delightful OT. Nice work, Yoshmeister. The reviews section is a hoot!

The game may have it's flaws, but there is some enjoyment to be had for sure.

MormaPope

Banned
How exposed to anime are you?

Because if you have a tolerance for it, I can see how the characterization in FF13 could come off as inoffensive.

To people who don't like anime, FF13's characterization is the FUCKING WORST.

To be fair, I don't share the same hatred for Vanielle that everyone else does, I just think they wasted the good surprise in redeeming her at the end. Vanielle was an interesting character when you thought that she might be a villain acting on pure jealousy and insanity. She's far more boring when she gets her heart of gold.

Yup.

I like anime but I'm really picky. The majority of the cast are one note characters until certain points later in the game. Lightning was insufferable until she finally admits to being a complete ass to everybody around her. Hope is inoffensive, but annoying when he pussyfoots around letting Snow whats up. Snow is the most boring character in the game, one of the most bland characters in a Final Fantasy title. Sazh is the best character in the game and has the best backstory/motivation.

Vanielle makes me want to sledgehammer a wall, her bubbly attitude annoyed me right from the start and she infuriates me. I never had problems with Rikku's bubbly attitude in FFX/FFX-2, but Vanielle is anger fuel for me. Fang is alright.

Every director, artist, writer, whatever has the right to be passionate about their characters and products. How are you going to sell something you don't believe in?
I honestly liked the Lightning Returns announcement event. It was unique and enjoyable. I always like poetic expression and that's how I decided to take that event.

Mesoian

Yup.

I like anime but I'm really picky. The majority of the cast are one note characters until certain points later in the game. Lightning was insufferable until she finally admits to being a complete ass to everybody around her. Hope is inoffensive, but annoying when he pussyfoots around letting Snow whats up. Snow is the most boring character in the game, one of the most bland characters in a Final Fantasy title. Sazh is the best character in the game and has the best backstory/motivation.

Vanielle makes me want to sledgehammer a wall, her bubbly attitude annoyed me right from the start and she infuriates me. I never had problems with Rikku's bubbly attitude in FFX/FFX-2, but Vanielle is anger fuel for me. Fang is alright.

When her super happy bubbily attitude is the result of a very deep seated self hatred, guilt and paranoia, it's fascinating. When it's because they needed a Rikku style archetype for the story, it's boring.

Damerman

Yup.

this is spot on to me. Anyone who is willing to give this game a chance, heed this post.

When her super happy bubbily attitude is the result of a very deep seated self hatred, guilt and paranoia, it's fascinating. When it's because they needed a Rikku style archetype for the story, it's boring.

hmmm, i think you are right. I forgot the story a little bit, but I have a vague memory of Vanille doing something fucked up... can't remember. I'll play it again soon enough. You make a good point, though it does not excuse the terrible VO.

MormaPope

Banned

I think I still need to get to that point. I'm towards the end of chapter 9 (airship rescue). Has the event in the bolded already occurred and I didn't pick up on it or is there a grand betrayal soon?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Vanille is just a continuation of characters like Selphie and Rikku.
Deep down you know this to be true.

Every director, artist, writer, whatever has the right to be passionate about their characters and products. How are you going to sell something you don't believe in?

There's a lot of people passionate about his creations, then there's this cheesy, idiotic and shameful PR announcement of a game.

I don't know who greenlighted this at SE, but is one of the all time lows for the company.

Raitningz

There's a lot of people passionate about his creations, then there's this cheesy, idiotic and shameful PR announcement of a game.

I don't know who greenlighted this at SE, but is one of the all time lows for the company.

Idk, I would have said the same thing in his position.

Perhaps it's not as cheesy in Japanese...?

HTupolev

I think I still need to get to that point. I'm towards the end of chapter 9 (airship rescue). Has the event in the bolded already occurred and I didn't pick up on it or is there a grand betrayal soon?
There's more to come, but what happens in Nautilus goes through a huge part of what's going on with her.

erragal

Kagari, are you okay? Post if you're okay.

Edit: Also, I liked both Vanille and Hope. Come at me, haters.

Hope's backstory was fine buy how he responded to it lacked subtlety.

If the game had been 60 hours of Sazh + Vanille it could have been one of my favorite games ever. They are by a huge margin the strongest characters in XIII with actual exploration of the human condition and emotional growth.

Mesoian

It's been hinted at thus far. When it happens, you'll know. It will probably piss you off. It pissed me off.

I remember looking back at Vanielle, her constantly overly happy attitude, her bubbily nature and when you learn her back story and figure out why she's there and why she's doing what she's doing, seeing her as the saddest person who, this whole time while keeping the spirits of everyone up, was a hair away from breaking herself.

And then the thing happens and it's like, "Oh. She was just annoying. NEVERMIND THEN!"

Square has never really known how to make these kinds of characters important, but they do know how to make them interesting, which is why Vanielle is so disappointing. But at least she keeps you guessing.

Lightning has the worst character arch in FF13. Sazh, Vang, Snow, Hope, Serah, they're all 1 dimensional and single tone, but they're at least consistent. Lightning changes attitudes and demeanors dramatically, for no reason, to the point where I thought they were implying she had mental problems.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If the game had been 60 hours of Sazh + Vanille it could have been one of my favorite games ever. They are by a huge margin the strongest characters in XIII with actual exploration of the human condition and emotional growth.
Yes! And the introduction to haste (Sazh)... my god.

impact

Banned
Yup.

It's really saying a lot about it that the best character is a black dude with guns and a chocobo in his afro

What kind of game do you have to make where that is your best character

Manu

I just want to say that Noel calling out Snow on his hero bullshit in XIII-2 was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Mesoian

I just want to say that Noel calling out Snow on his hero bullshit in XIII-2 was one of the highlights of the game for me.

Lightning does it plenty in FF13, she's simply acting psychotic when she's doing it, so her points fall on deaf ears.

Raitningz

Interesting stats. I forgot that Light and Fang are stronger in strength and magic than other characters like Snow or Sazh.

Actually I heard from guys at etrosgate that Snow is the best RAV in the game. They can't be wrong, they're the best in the world at XIII.

HTupolev

Interesting stats. I forgot that Light and Fang are stronger in strength and magic than other characters like Snow or Sazh.
Sazh is garbage in terms of raw attack capability. Hits weak, very slow.

Actually I heard from guys at etrosgate that Snow is the best RAV in the game. They can't be wrong, they're the best in the world at XIII.
I'm not good enough to really make a call here, but Snow does have very fast cast animations. He doesn't hit super hard, but he keeps the attacks coming.

Adaren

Explaining ATB Refresh in the OT is a great idea. Wonderful work. Can't wait to play through this again.
Sazh is garbage in terms of raw attack capability. Hits weak, very slow.

His weapons have very high stats. And there's the well-known trick with his Blitz. His animations are undeniably slow, though.

Raitningz

Can we expect mods for the PC version? That alone might make the purchase worth it.

No mod tools + Square's games have been notoriously difficult to mod, etc. I don't think we will see much. At most, some improved graphics and infinite gil.

Raitningz

Dosn't look like it...
Serah dosn't have those watermelons....

Right, skirt is missing too. I just noticed.

Interesting.

Those youtube comments tho

We never saw that model replacement mod in gameplay though, and the other mods that are for FFXIII-2 are just model swapping. Sort of. Swapping models that are already in the game.

Teremap

Banned
To people who don't like anime
What an overgeneralization.

There is no such thing as an "anime"-style characterization. Even among the big three Shounen series (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) the way they each handle characterization is completely different from each other, and it gets far more various when you start looking into the more niche titles.

In fact, people should just stop using the word "anime" when they really mean "cartoonish" or "exaggerated". It's just incredibly silly. Every time someone uses it as an adjective I have to roll my eyes and it colors my perception of the rest of their post.

Fj0823

I own the trilogy on PS3 and love it.

But I kinda wished XIII was a standalone title, it's a similar sentiment to what I feel for VII.

XIII-2 Introduced some really cool locations and allowed more exploration....but the story doesn´t click in anyway with XIII, when I play XIII the world design is overwhelming...In XIII-2 it just feels like an RPG.

Lightning Returns DOES have a lot of callbacks to XIII (Like Atomos's corpse or the ruined Gate of Etro) and I greatly apreciated that, but the fact that XIII-2's story is the core of the plot and the core of the new world turned me off...

Gameplaywise I got enjoyment from all the games.

What I'm saying is, more Coccoon less Nova Chrysalia.

I really hope this is going to be a solid port. The system requirements give me some Hope, but that doesn't mean it won't have things like a frame rate cap or resolution cap or something like that. It's probably unlikely that Nixxes is working on the port, since I don't expect the game to have a proper English documentation.

I really hope this is going to be a solid port. The system requirements give me some Hope, but that doesn't mean it won't have things like a frame rate cap or resolution cap or something like that. It's probably unlikely that Nixxes is working on the port, since I don't expect the game to have a proper English documentation.

If we are lucky, maybe Hexadrive worked on this....

Top Bottom