• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood due out on June 20, 2017

Reddit generally. It's still running I believe until tomorrow, and access to the stream is private other than a part which was public so media isn't readily available for everything yet, once it's over I'm sure they'll have an official thread on their forums that details everything they revealed. There's still a fanfest coming in...february I think it was? So they're probably still keeping some stuff to reveal for that, including the 2nd class(it's more or less confirmed there won't be 3 new classes this time).
Thanks.

I've really wanted to buy a collectors edition for FFXIV since I've enjoyed it so much but they never appeal to me, I wish they'd stop including figures in games. Detailed Art books and complete soundtracks is where it's at.

Also really hope we get a pro patch, no reason not to.

Femto.

They actually just recently discussed leveling potions coming to the game, however it seems they're still figuring it out for the western and japanese markets, so it won't make it for Stormblood's release(at least that's their current stance). The potions already exist in china and korea, they're split into 2 potions, one for getting a character to max level with some basic gear and the other to clear the story quests up to the current expansion start(so for example currently it'd clear all 2.0 content up to Heavensward).

So they'll most likely happen, but not right away.
Man, I'd like to get into the endgame content of this but the grind turns me off due to lack of time.

Thanks for the info though, I'll probably jump back in once those potions are in because red mage looks cool

Thanks.

I've really wanted to buy a collectors edition for FFXIV since I've enjoyed it so much but they never appeal to me, I wish they'd stop including figures in games. Detailed Art books and complete soundtracks is where it's at.

Also really hope we get a pro patch, no reason not to.

I assume any tech announcement will be kept for the last fanfest, as it'll be closer to release and they'll be feature locked at that point so they'll be able to tell exactly what will be in or not. PS4 Pro update probably then too, or possibly before the expansion to test how it works on live server and not crash everything at release.

And yeah not a big fan of figurines either, I think they don't do OSTs cause they sell them later separately, art books they could but that also is coming as a separate item, so well.

Taruranto

They really need to implement jump potions in this game. You can't possibly expect new players to grind through hundreds of hours of content just to reach the new stuff people are actually running. The only arguments against it are from either entitled players who think new players should have to do all the same things they did for better or worse, or people who think it will result in tons of Bad Newbies in Duty Finder (as if the quality of DF players isn't abysmal as-is, and as if the primary reason isn't because FFXIV is really bad at teaching you how to play your job).

This whole mindset that modern MMORPG players have that leveling content is not content is just so weird. I can't imagine anyone asking for a potion to skip Rank, ZM, CoP and go straight to 99 and Adoulin in XI.

Granted, the main quest in XIV is bad enough to drive people insane because fetch quests, but still.

Haven't played since shortly after 3.1, but this has me planning on resubbing once 3.5 drops to catch up.

RDM was my first love in XI, and I definitely plan on trying it in Stormblood

Color me interested.

Are there level boosters for this game? I quit FFXIV because I grew tired of the old questing/grinding formula to get to max level.
It kinda sounds like you were playing the wrong game then :) FFXIV isn't about a rush to reach the max level, it's about the story and dungeons and boss fights and stuff that happens as you progress through the game, and more than half of that is happening as you level.

Having said that, Square made it a lot faster and easier, less grindy, to progress through the Realm Reborn (2.0) story, while making sure the main story quests give you gear strong enough to start Heavensward (3.0)

Here's hoping they do a collector's edition for Steam users this time as well but I won't be holding my breath for it. Would've been good to know back in 2014 when I bought the game.

AngryNeox

Neo Member
After Heavensward to 3.3 I would say it's worth it just for the story alone.

They really need to implement jump potions in this game. You can't possibly expect new players to grind through hundreds of hours of content just to reach the new stuff people are actually running. The only arguments against it are from either entitled players who think new players should have to do all the same things they did for better or worse, or people who think it will result in tons of Bad Newbies in Duty Finder (as if the quality of DF players isn't abysmal as-is, and as if the primary reason isn't because FFXIV is really bad at teaching you how to play your job).
If they add jump potions they have to make sure that it does not hurt the normal main story quest leveling in any way.

Also didn't they say the main quests would be marked as "done" meaning you can't do them anymore? While the AAR quests aren't all perfect it builds the foundation for the story following in the expansions.

Arkeband

Banned

If they add jump potions they have to make sure that it does not hurt the normal main story quest leveling in any way.

Also didn't they say the main quests would be marked as "done" meaning you can't do them anymore? While the AAR quests aren't all perfect it builds the foundation for the story following in the expansions.

I doubt that many western players will be taking advantage of "cheat" potions, but it's a shame that this is their solution to a poorly designed 1-50 experience. They're so concerned with players not seeing their work in raids so they keep splitting them off into different versions, but lord forbid they remove some "bake me a cake" quests - the only solution is to let players skip an entire release!

WoW released an expansion while completely reworking the entire game from the ground up, from redesigning every starter zone, to changing talents and leveling curves and abilities. FF14 can't summon up the balls to connect main quest #200 to main quest #215 to skip a bunch of teleporting back and forth. Sad.

Heavensward was plagued by "good idea - horrible implementation" additions like Diadem and Verminion, and if Yoshi-P was truly a good director and game designer, this wouldn't be the case. WoW-ifying and relaunching the game can't give him a free pass on this stuff for the entire game's life span.

Sylas

I doubt that many western players will be taking advantage of "cheat" potions, but it's a shame that this is their solution to a poorly designed 1-50 experience. They're so concerned with players not seeing their work in raids so they keep splitting them off into different versions, but lord forbid they remove some "bake me a cake" quests - the only solution is to let players skip an entire release!

WoW released an expansion while completely reworking the entire game from the ground up, from redesigning every starter zone, to changing talents and leveling curves and abilities. FF14 can't summon up the balls to connect main quest #200 to main quest #215 to skip a bunch of teleporting back and forth. Sad.

Heavensward was plagued by "good idea - horrible implementation" additions like Diadem and Verminion, and if Yoshi-P was truly a good director and game designer, this wouldn't be the case. WoW-ifying and relaunching the game can't give him a free pass on this stuff for the entire game's life span.

Cataclysm is widely regarded as the 2nd worst expansion after WoD because they allocated far too many resources into redesigning the entire world. There are people that are continuously frustrated by the pendulum nature of how they change up the class design every expansion. It shouldn't even be a feature--it says they lack confidence in how they've designed their classes (which they do and they've stated).

I'd rather have a handful of "good idea - horrible implementation" so long as it's fixed compared to boring stuff. Hell, I'd rather that then the playing it safe patches we already get! Every game is plagued by poor implementation--especially one that doesn't have beta builds or PTR releases.

While I agree that FFXIV could cut the fat in regards to pruning down the 2.0 MSQ, going the Cataclysm route would be absolutely miserable. A jump potion is a totall viable method for people who want to buy it. After all, WoW has them too and that allows them to literally bypass the entirety of Cataclysm's content. Hell, Blizzard included one when you buy Legion.

If you start for the first time then how long would it take to get ready for this expansion?
Probably about 2-3 months depending on how fast you play/how much. Subjectivity aside It's a sizable amount of content all things considered and the shitty portion of the story is still in the minority compared to everything else.

Arkeband

Banned
Cataclysm is widely regarded as the 2nd worst expansion after WoD because they allocated far too many resources into redesigning the entire world. There are people that are continuously frustrated by the pendulum nature of how they change up the class design every expansion. It shouldn't even be a feature--it says they lack confidence in how they've designed their classes (which they do and they've stated).

I'd rather have a handful of "good idea - horrible implementation" so long as it's fixed compared to boring stuff. Hell, I'd rather that then the playing it safe patches we already get! Every game is plagued by poor implementation--especially one that doesn't have beta builds or PTR releases.

While I agree that FFXIV could cut the fat in regards to pruning down the 2.0 MSQ, going the Cataclysm route would be absolutely miserable. A jump potion is a totall viable method for people who want to buy it. After all, WoW has them too and that allows them to literally bypass the entirety of Cataclysm's content. Hell, Blizzard included one when you buy Legion.

Right, but I wasn't saying they should go the Cataclysm route, I'm saying 'here is an example of the extreme end of what MMO's have done, and here is the gulf of difference between that and what FF14 would need'.

FF14 is a great game with a lot of potential but they make so many design decisions that are so senseless that it's frustrating.

Sylas

Right, but I wasn't saying they should go the Cataclysm route, I'm saying 'here is an example of the extreme end of what MMO's have done, and here is the gulf of difference between that and what FF14 would need'.

FF14 is a great game with a lot of potential but they make so many design decisions that are so senseless that it's frustrating.
I think they're finding a good middle-ground slowly but surely. You can smell the frustration behind the 2.0 storyline because they just didn't know how to pad it out enough to make leveling take a decent amount of time. It's what makes HW a lot more tolerable--they said fuck it and made leveling a lot quicker through the MSQ. I can understand their own frustration with wanting people to experience the entirety of the storyline standing at the crossroads of a lot of MMO players just wanting to see the newest toy.

Each individual story is mediocre at best and the true strength is in how the stories intertwine to make a compelling story and a fleshed out world. I'd want people to experience that too! I'll always agree that Verminion sucked, but at the same time I can appreciate them trying new things. PotD is one of those new and weird things and it's worked out really, really well. The new exploratory missions look rad too! Iteration is the backbone of game design and Yoshi-P does take player feedback into account and rarely pulls the, "Well, we know better!" angle that Blizzard often did/does.

Alrus

If you start for the first time then how long would it take to get ready for this expansion?

If they treat it like the previous one, you would be required to do all the ARR (original game) content, then the Heavensward content in order to access the new areas. It would take while. (imo outside of a few very slow parts in the ARR part of the game, it's worth it)

They've been talking about jump potion and stuff like that but I'm not sure how it's going to be handled yet.

Kouriozan

I have so much to catch on in Heavensward (stopped right before 3.0 ending), looks like I'll resub 2 weeks before the expansion.

Actually just bought the ARR and heavensward bundle yesterday on steam yesterday ($20) before all this stuff got announced as I've been meaning to try it for awhile. Iv never played an MMO before but love FF.

Why is everyone so eager to blow through ARR and heavensward stuff just to get to stormblood? I would think I'd wanna get my money's worth and I thought this is supposed to have a good story?

Arkeband

Banned
I think they're finding a good middle-ground slowly but surely. You can smell the frustration behind the 2.0 storyline because they just didn't know how to pad it out enough to make leveling take a decent amount of time. It's what makes HW a lot more tolerable--they said fuck it and made leveling a lot quicker through the MSQ. I can understand their own frustration with wanting people to experience the entirety of the storyline standing at the crossroads of a lot of MMO players just wanting to see the newest toy.

Each individual story is mediocre at best and the true strength is in how the stories intertwine to make a compelling story and a fleshed out world. I'd want people to experience that too! I'll always agree that Verminion sucked, but at the same time I can appreciate them trying new things. PotD is one of those new and weird things and it's worked out really, really well. The new exploratory missions look rad too! Iteration is the backbone of game design and Yoshi-P does take player feedback into account and rarely pulls the, "Well, we know better!" angle that Blizzard often did/does.

PotD started as pretty barebones, and when players were forcefully wiping/leaving the instance because they designed it wrong by allowing people to do floors 40-50 without getting a single upgrade, they knew they'd f'd up. So that would fit more into the category of "started broken but became better". I think it's in a fairly good place right now, for what it's worth.

And I agree, they do seem to be learning from some mistakes. A fairly large one right now is that they still haven't balanced experience gains from 50-60 very well, as it's a total snore to level alt jobs to 60 through the big empty zones (remember when the explanation for the emptiness was that they were going to 'add things to it'?) and the roulette bonuses are way too small for something you can only do once a day. I still see people banging out FATES mindlessly for ~20-40k experience apiece when they need many millions of experience for their next level.

This will be something I'm sure they'll adjust going into Stormblood, and hopefully Stormblood FATES are tuned better than Heavensward's were (remember HW's FATES were giving less experience than Northern Thanalan FATES... leading everyone to completely ignore the starting areas in the expansion. Super dumb.)

Actually just bought the ARR and heavensward bundle yesterday on steam yesterday ($20) before all this stuff got announced as I've been meaning to try it for awhile. Iv never played an MMO before but love FF.

Why is everyone so eager to blow through ARR and heavensward stuff just to get to stormblood? I would think I'd wanna get my money's worth and I thought this is supposed to have a good story?

Imagine FFXV if the main story quests were interspersed with finding Takka more beans. That's basically FFXIV's MSQ up until 50, where the production values go way up, except there's over a hundred quests to do in succession, and these quests are mostly "teleport here, click on this person, teleport back". It's a huge hurdle and time investment that made sense when people were getting hours of enjoyment out of it every few months after being content starved, but to arrive late to the party, it seems neverending. Add to that, there are very few meaningful rewards because they're meant for level 50 characters and they don't want you to be too far beyond 50 when you start Heavensward, so you're basically stuck at level 50 for a hundred quests before you can move on. It's just not super well thought through.

Sylas

PotD started as pretty barebones, and when players were forcefully wiping/leaving the instance because they designed it wrong by allowing people to do floors 40-50 without getting a single upgrade, they knew they'd f'd up. So that would fit more into the category of "started broken but became better". I think it's in a fairly good place right now, for what it's worth.

And I agree, they do seem to be learning from some mistakes. A fairly large one right now is that they still haven't balanced experience gains from 50-60 very well, as it's a total snore to level alt jobs to 60 through the big empty zones (remember when the explanation for the emptiness was that they were going to 'add things to it'?) and the roulette bonuses are way too small for something you can only do once a day. I still see people banging out FATES mindlessly for ~20-40k experience apiece when they need many millions of experience for their next level.

This will be something I'm sure they'll adjust going into Stormblood, and hopefully Stormblood FATES are tuned better than Heavensward's were (remember HW's FATES were giving less experience than Northern Thanalan FATES... leading everyone to completely ignore the starting areas in the expansion. Super dumb.)
They do need to buff FATE experience. I've got a hard time convincing myself to do FATEs, though they've also implemented enough alternate methods of gaining exp (beastmen tribe dailies, hunts, several roulettes, challenge log) that taking something from 50-60 takes about a week /played total? I don't mind that too much but that's genuinely just a preference thing. If people wanna level faster I ain't gonna tell them that they're wrong.

I still find it hard to get on board with the idea that the best execution needs to come first. Most Blizzard raids launch busted in some ways these days and they're constantly tweaking stuff that's pretty busted on release. I don't know if I care more about the initial execution being poor and them iterating on it to make it a lot more compelling or something just being broken/mis-tuned until they can get around to "fixing" it. While I absolutely prefer things to work on the first go-round, I can't blame people for trying something new (that isn't just new mechanics but rather new gameplay systems/styles) and getting it fixed pretty quickly.

I agree that the post-50 experience is wobbly in a lot of places since it felt very padded out for no real reason. It felt like they couldn't afford/were afraid of cutscenes so they needed a way to keep the text boxes rolling without keeping you in one place forever. They learned their lesson with HW and I think SB is gonna be even better in that regard.

Imagine FFXV if the main story quests were interspersed with finding Takka more beans. That's basically FFXIV's MSQ up until 50, where the production values go way up, except there's over a hundred quests to do in succession, and these quests are mostly "teleport here, click on this person, teleport back". It's a huge hurdle and time investment that made sense when people were getting hours of enjoyment out of it every few months after being content starved, but to arrive late to the party, it seems neverending. Add to that, there are very few meaningful rewards because they're meant for level 50 characters and they don't want you to be too far beyond 50 when you start Heavensward, so you're basically stuck at level 50 for a hundred quests before you can move on. It's just not super well thought through.

I only did two of those Takka quests before being done with those, so that's a bummer. Guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for the explanation.

Lunafreya

XIV is such a nice treat for any FF fan or even general MMO players, I hope those who haven't given it a chance will give it a spin! Next year is absolutely crazy to be a fan of Final Fantasy!

Guess Who

Banned

if players who use jump potions want to experience the base game's story, they can watch it in their inn room. I would think Square Enix could also make a "recap episode" video for players to catch up. Let's face it: once we're five or six expansions in, expecting new players to play the *entire thing* from the start will be totally absurd.

Redx508

it depends on how you play the game. if you rush the main quest and not do any of the side content it won't take long. but you should take your time with it. you can also play any of the classes with one character. so you don't have redo the main quest and all that.

Ploid 3.0

I was really hoping Red Mage would bring in the support class, but the way it seems is ok. Fits the game well I'm sure.

Arkeband

Banned
I was really hoping Red Mage would bring in the support class, but the way it seems is ok. Fits the game well I'm sure.

I'm interested in seeing how differently it plays than other classes. I've been interested in a midrange DPS to transition to away from Dragoon, but if this is just BLM with finishers that pretend you've moved into melee range for combo finishers, I may pass.

I always imagined it would be a melee support class supplemented by magic, not the other way around.

Lol Yosuke Matsuda is the best

ABh8KgH.jpg

He should be pointing that rifle at Nomura though, haha.

They should offer a jump potion that auto completes all of ARR, Heavensward and Stormblood at launch.

That way people can get to the "real" content then subsequently complain about how the game has no content after skipping most of it for some reason.

SkyOdin

I'm interested in seeing how differently it plays than other classes. I've been interested in a midrange DPS to transition to away from Dragoon, but if this is just BLM with finishers that pretend you've moved into melee range for combo finishers, I may pass.

I always imagined it would be a melee support class supplemented by magic, not the other way around.
Well, the RDM as shown so far has demonstrated:
1) A self-buff spell
2) 2 basic ranged attack spells
3) A melee close-in attack
4) 2 melee weaponskills
5) A melee retreating attack
6) A ranged magic finisher

That can't be its entire range of skills either. It looks like it has a pretty good mix of melee and ranged attacks. Furthermore, it is safe to assume that it has some support capability. If it merely gains access to a single-target Refresh ability and the ability to Raise, it will have some excellent support utility.

1) A self-buff spell
4) 2 melee weaponskills

That can't be its entire range of skills either. It looks like it has a pretty good mix of melee and ranged attacks. Furthermore, it is safe to assume that it has some support capability. If it merely gains access to a single-target Refresh ability and the ability to Raise, it will have some excellent support utility.

I expect Refresh to just be the RDM version of Aetherflow/Shroud of Saints/Luminiferous Aether.

jiggle

1) A self-buff spell
4) 2 melee weaponskills

A rdm that gets to melee
Valkurm dream is coming true

SkyOdin

I expect Refresh to just be the RDM version of Aetherflow/Shroud of Saints/Luminiferous Aether.
I expect it to be more like an MP version of the Ninja's Goad. I would think that Red Mages are designed to recover MP by using one of their melee attacks, to encourage Red Mages to move back and forth between the two fighting styles.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So hyped for this .... RDM was my first job to 75 in FFXI but I picked up PLD first in FFXIV I am so in there. Playing this on PC and PS4 (double dipped on everything)cannot wait for the details on what all they do with their PS4 Pro patch I don't expect them to do a simple resolution bump, super excited.

I expect it to be more like an MP version of the Ninja's Goad. I would think that Red Mages are designed to recover MP by using one of their melee attacks, to encourage Red Mages to move back and forth between the two fighting styles.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong

Copper

Resubbed a few days ago and the game is so good. Really is the only MMO I keep coming back too and still enjoy greatly. FFXV made me crave this. Wonder what the new areas will look like now that ps3 isn't a limitation.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What is supposed to be the appeal of swimming and diving if it's completely separated from combat?

Erotic roleplay potential.

Might resub for RDM. I'd have to do all the Heavensward junk though and I really don't want to x_x

OsirisBlack

Banned
Erotic roleplay potential.

Might resub for RDM. I'd have to do all the Heavensward junk though and I really don't want to x_x
If you haven't played it yet Heavensward is probably the best expansion I have ever played for any game. Everything from the music to the raids the new race .... just everything was amazing.

Peroroncino

So I have until June 2017 to finish ARR and HW story, I think I'll manage, so it's the perfect release windoww for me, gonna jump in day one.

FFXIV is the second MMO I really got hooked on, the first one was Lineage 2, never really could get into WoW etc.

Firebrand

Have they said anything about how newcomers will enter the game? I seem to recall they didn't want to make new people have to go through ARR and HW if they don't want to.

SkyOdin

Have they said anything about how newcomers will enter the game? I seem to recall they didn't want to make new people have to go through ARR and HW if they don't want to.
They are talking about bringing the level jump potions that are currently available in China and Korea over to other regions. These would let you jump straight to level 50 and the start of the Heavensward expansion content, or to start at level 60 and at the beginning of the Stormblood expansion content. All previous content would be marked as cleared to those who use the jump potions.

Top Bottom