• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood due out on June 20, 2017

Arkeband

Banned
Well, the RDM as shown so far has demonstrated:
1) A self-buff spell
2) 2 basic ranged attack spells
3) A melee close-in attack
4) 2 melee weaponskills
5) A melee retreating attack
6) A ranged magic finisher

That can't be its entire range of skills either. It looks like it has a pretty good mix of melee and ranged attacks. Furthermore, it is safe to assume that it has some support capability. If it merely gains access to a single-target Refresh ability and the ability to Raise, it will have some excellent support utility.

I don't see two melee weaponskills - I see a charge, a multithrust attack, and a backwards disengage that begins with a slash.

SkyOdin

I don't see two melee weaponskills - I see a charge, a multithrust attack, and a backwards disengage that begins with a slash.
Yeah, it is entirely possible it is just the one weaponskill. It looked like two when I first saw it, but it is hard to be sure without messing with the skills in game. That is still a pretty good balance of three melee attacks and three ranged spells.

Still, seven skills total is far from everything that the class will even start with. I'm curious what else it can do.

Sylas

I posted this in the OT but for Red Mage speculation...

It seems like spells power up melee, and I wouldn't be surprised if the inverse is true. The spells the trailer shows each have a corresponding melee equivalent if we're looking at the particle effects--which are fairly consistent with casters as it is. The first spell is purple/non-elemental, the second is white/holy. The first melee ability is white/holy, the second is purple/non-elemental. The backflip is fire, the flare-like is fire. So, you cast spells to make the next melee of that element stronger, and you use melee to make the next spell of that element stronger. If you do a melee atack without a charge, it creates one to buff the spell. That sort of thing! Cast a spell without a charge, it'll create one to buff the melee. It creates a neat back-and-forth and I hope they'd keep it to those three elements to give you multiple options.

For example: You can cast holy, use a lunge the expend that holy charge or you can use some other melee ability to expend that charge. This way you aren't stuck having to do the back-flip or lunge if you want to build/expend your holy and flare charges.

Chainspells likely just makes <x> amount of spells instant cast, or all spells are instant cast for <y> amount of time, which allows you to do burst damage by stacking everything all at once. Build all three stacks, expend all three immediately.

thedan001

If samurai is in, I'm back in!

Tank role samurai please

Funny how FFXI intended samurai to be a off tank but ended up as a pure DPS and ninja's were supposed to be dps but ppl found a way to make ninja's a magnificent tank until SE nerfed them a bit out of spite but still a worthy tank

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If samurai is in, I'm back in!

Tank role samurai please

Funny how FFXI intended samurai to be a off tank but ended up as a pure DPS and ninja's were supposed to be dps but ppl found a way to make ninja's a magnificent tank until SE nerfed them a bit out of spite but still a worthy tank

original utsusemi tanking to this day is the most unique tanking style ive played in an mmo

AngryNeox

Neo Member
if players who use jump potions want to experience the base game's story, they can watch it in their inn room. I would think Square Enix could also make a "recap episode" video for players to catch up. Let's face it: once we're five or six expansions in, expecting new players to play the *entire thing* from the start will be totally absurd.
What I just want is the possiblity for players to play the main story quest if they want to without feeling wasting their time too much.

If they want both player types they could add the jumping potion AND maybe add a little reward for players doing the story normally.

Well one reward is having a max level job so there is that but maybe it's not enough with a higher level cap and increased experience gain. Leveling from 1 to 50 is pretty fast now already with stuff like potd so who knows how fast it will be with a max level of 80? Maybe the main story quests could also give you smaller jumping portions for another class/job so you can end up with like 2 jobs at max level when doing all main story quests?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Eventually you just gotta let go of the vanilla of an mmo. I remember how much I thought the story went on forever in vanilla ARR. It gets really, really bloated and dragged out when you're in the northern winter areas..trying to avoid spoilers lol.

They should cut the main storyline in half from vanilla to get people to at least do HW stuff as quickly as possible. So much back and forth to the base they could cut out and just give the cutscenes for.

Sillution

original utsusemi tanking to this day is the most unique tanking style ive played in an mmo

I loved tanking as NIN just due to how fun and badass it felt to utsuemi tank as well as do decent damage at the same time.

And looking at this expansion makes me really want to play it again. Red Mage was my real main in FFXI and now I feel drawn back to try it in 14.

I'm an expert

I was the rdm in an all smn/carbuncle static at the release of aht urghan and it messed me up man. Genuinely cannot look at rdm without getting shivers. If they announce Sam as tank I'll probably resub that day. I didn't get to enjoy my twintania mount enough and drk was good but not good enough to keep me playing. I should've stayed war main for HW.

Are PC players separated from PS4 players? If so which one is the GAF guild?

Temptation Rising but the last few times I was stonewalled in my progress due to no Rais groups to complete the story and just gave up.

Zelias

Banned
Getting the itch to jump back in and catch up on Heavensward content so I can be ready for Stormblood. Haven't played since 3.1, so plenty to do!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
For those who think Level Jump/Story Jump potions wouldn't sell through the roof... alts.

Most of the sales would come from veteran players who want viable alts for fun, crafting or otherwise.

Tons of money to be made.

Rymuth

Preorders will be up on January 24th.

From the Press Release:

• New Job – Red Mage (DPS Role): The highly anticipated red mage job will make its debut in Stormblood as a ranged magic DPS, wielding a rapier and magicked crystal medium. A very mobile attacker, the red mage dives in and out of melee combat, assaulting enemies with red magic and short-ranged attacks. The red mage also has the ability to link multiple spells with chainspell, dealing massive damage and following them up with melee attacks.
  • Swimming and Diving: This new gameplay mechanic will allow players to seamlessly enter and traverse specific rivers, lakes, and seas in both new and existing areas throughout Eorzea®. Players will also be able to dive underwater in select locations, even while riding flying mounts. Underwater areas will not only include new gathering locations, but also will provide an opportunity for NPC interaction.
  • New Beast Tribe and Primal: The Ananta, an all-female beast tribe, is the newest of the beast tribes to be introduced to the world of FFXIV. This ancient tribe resides in the mountains near Ala Mhigo and worships the primal Lakshmi. Known for their skill in spell and gemcraft, the Lamia will play a very important role in the Stormblood main scenario as their persecution by the Garlean Empire is revealed.
  • New High-Level Raid: The Bend of Time – Omega was announced as the high-level raid series for Stormblood. Omega has surfaced within the main scenario in the past, but this menace will soon appear in full force. The mystery behind the appearance of Omega and the significance of “The Bend of Time” will be unveiled through the story surrounding this raid.
  • New Alliance Raid: Two special guest creators were invited to assist with the design of the newly-announced alliance raid “Return to Ivalice”: Yasumi Matsuno (FINAL FANTASY XII / FINAL FANTASY TACTICS) will write the scenario surrounding the raid, while Keita Amemiya (Onimusha 2 / Shin Megami Tensei IV) will spearhead monster and boss design.
  • Stormblood Theme Song: Legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu will return to create the main theme song for Stormblood.
  • Stormblood collector’s edition. This version features a special box with art decoration by Yoshitaka Amano, as well as:
    • FINAL FANTASY XIV: Stormblood
    • Stormblood Special Art Box
    • Expertly Crafted Zenos yae Galvus Figure
    • FINAL FANTASY XIV: Stormblood Art Book
    • Cloth Map of Eorzea
    • Stormblood Logo Sticker
    • Exclusive In-game Items
    • Syldra Mount
    • Wind-up Bartz Minion
    • Chicken Knife

Pre-orders for Stormblood will begin on January 24, 2017. Additional details for Stormblood will be shared during the European Fan Festival in Frankfurt on February 18-19, 2017.

Miracle

I've been thinking for quite a while if I should get into FFXIV.

Part of me really wants to. How difficult is the grind to max level? And how long would it take me to really be caught up with everything before this expansion?

Khrno

Part of me really wants to. How difficult is the grind to max level? And how long would it take me to really be caught up with everything before this expansion?

By the end of the month if you play casually (as in just a few hours a day) you should be caught up with all the story and 1 job to 60.

Or just by the weekend if you go all out.

LordKasual

Banned

Leveling is quite easy. Almost automatic, just do the story missions, and always log out in a town to get rested EXP.

Getting caught up isn't all that difficult either. If you were so inclined you can just ignore most of the "endgame" lv50 2.0 content and just go right on into Heavensward.

And the journey from 50-60 will be much smoother for a newcomer than it was for someone who was already on the 3.0 storyline before it launched, because all the old dungeons and battles give EXP now. I got some new friends into the game and they were like Lv54 before they stepped foot into Ishgard.

Miracle

By the end of the month if you play casually (as in just a few hours a day) you should be caught up with all the story and 1 job to 60.

Or just by the weekend if you go all out.

Leveling is quite easy. Almost automatic, just do the story missions, and always log out in a town to get rested EXP.

Getting caught up isn't all that difficult either. If you were so inclined you can just ignore most of the "endgame" lv50 2.0 content and just go right on into Heavensward.

And the journey from 50-60 will be much smoother for a newcomer than it was for someone who was already on the 3.0 storyline before it launched, because all the old dungeons and battles give EXP now. I got some new friends into the game and they were like Lv54 before they stepped foot into Ishgard.

Hmmmm...Interesting. I also see there is an active community thread here too so I shall strongly consider this. :D

no blue mage :(

The 2nd class isn't confirmed yet, and Blue Mage would kinda fit. People want it to be Samurai a lot too, and then it could be some weird class that people didn't really consider much like Machinist was for Heavensward. We'll know in february or whenever that last Fanfest is in Frankfurt.

Hmmmm...Interesting. I also see there is an active community thread here too so I shall strongly consider this. :D

Yeah the XIV community thread is one of the most active thread in the community subforum. Last time I played the ingame guild chat was also active, it's largely NA time but EU prime time kinda overlaps with early NA east coast so it's generally lively enough at that point too. Australian/EU daytime was pretty dead most of the time though(but it is a NA server so it makes sense).

JMZ555

Thinking of jumping back in and dragging a friend in with me. I completed the ARR story and done Titan and Garuda hard.Then i stopped after that as was grinding for armour/weapons and lost interest.

Not sure if i have left it too long to get back into it but i'm going to try. Going to resub for a month just to try catch up and see how i feel.

I will have to buy both Expansions though. HW does not come with Stormblood does it?

Manbig

Thinking of jumping back in and dragging a friend in with me. I completed the ARR story and done Titan and Garuda hard.Then i stopped after that as was grinding for armour/weapons and lost interest.

Not sure if i have left it too long to get back into it but i'm going to try. Going to resub for a month just to try catch up and see how i feel.

I will have to buy both Expansions though. HW does not come with Stormblood does it?

You're in for a treat, because the HW content is a huge leap in quality over the earlier stuff.

Nottle

Was there some talk about making cross class necessity skills less of a thing?

I'm a dragoon right now but I want to change to dark knight once I reach Heavensward. But to get provoke I'd need to level Gladiator. Seems a little obtuse.

Was there some talk about making cross class necessity skills less of a thing?

I'm a dragoon right now but I want to change to dark knight once I reach Heavensward. But to get provoke I'd need to level Gladiator. Seems a little obtuse.

To 22, yes. It's not that bad. Just run potd or something. Doesn't take that long.

Nottle

To 22, yes. It's not that bad. Just run potd or something. Doesn't take that long.
Ok thank you. how many Jobs do people typically dedicate themselves to?

I'm someone that wants to level everything but that was inefficient. Now I read that you can get Mantra from pugilist for the Dragoon at level 42. Damn!

JMZ555

Oh god i'm trying to catch up on the main story and the quests have to be the worse i have ever seen at this point.

Juts completed Ramuh and now its go speak to someone for one line of dialog then teleport to another town for a line of dialog and so on and so on. Its mind numbing bad.

I'm tempted to give up as getting 0 enjoyment but part of me thinks i should try push through.

Main reason im back is hoping expansion and promise of changes to battle system may make it fresh enough to enjoy.

Sylas

Ok thank you. how many Jobs do people typically dedicate themselves to?

I'm someone that wants to level everything but that was inefficient. Now I read that you can get Mantra from pugilist for the Dragoon at level 42. Damn!
It depends on how much you can play. I have 3 jobs I "dedicate" myself to gear-wise but if you play more often you can absolutely play more. Starting right now would give you plenty of time to try a lot of things out as we're basically done with item progression until June.

Oh god i'm trying to catch up on the main story and the quests have to be the worse i have ever seen at this point.

Juts completed Ramuh and now its go speak to someone for one line of dialog then teleport to another town for a line of dialog and so on and so on. Its mind numbing bad.

I'm tempted to give up as getting 0 enjoyment but part of me thinks i should try push through.

Main reason im back is hoping expansion and promise of changes to battle system may make it fresh enough to enjoy.

Heavensward is a lot better and I imagine SB will be too. They learned a lot but yeah, getting through the MSQ when it isn't fresh is hell sometimes.

JMZ555

Well finally pushed through the ARR main story and towards the end it was pretty cool.

So far HW has been enjoyable so i'm going to try get it done ready for SB.

Taking me a while to get use to my rotation, especially on a ps4 controller.

Top Bottom