• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
when will the footage show up in non-shit quality?

So the only complaint i see is the hit-stun? Luckly that can be quickly tweaked.

Can't wait for that battle that takes "days" in the full game I remember Tabata talking about it, most likely a summons imo.

FourMyle

+ Weapon skills + Phase shifting/Phantom swords + magic system + team manuevers = tons of interesting ways to enjoy the combat.

+ UI looks very slick and I'm sure they've got even more polishing left on that front.

+ Animations are fucking amazing.

Right now the game is looking mechanically and visually great. At this point I actually want them to take their time with development (lol) because I want this game to have a ton of content like FFXII did.

The game is looking so good. My hype went from, "yeah, looks cool of course I'm going to try it" to "oh man, that's pretty damn sweet! I have to try it!"

StarVigil

insta012h9j4h.gif
Moves like Jagger

Dark_castle

At one point, I think I saw Noctis's attack cancelled/interrupted by incoming attack. I wonder if we could cancel them ourselves?

taoofjord

It certainly looks promising but I'm concerned that the focus on an open world will make the environmental variety and overall presentation suffer. The fields shown so far are bland compared to past games in the series.

Exentryk

Controls :

Left Stick: Movement
Right Stick: Camera
L3: Dash (Characters will auto climb obstacles in dash mode)

X: Jump
|_|: Attack (hold or press for combo)
O: Warp (Lock on to enemy to warp to them. Consumes MP)
/\: Weapon Ability (Toggle for more by selecting right or left on the Dpad.)

L1: Guard (Consumes MP, signified by blue light)

Unused so far:
R1:
R2:
L2:

Anyone know what button they were using for the item menu?

It certainly looks promising but I'm a little worried that the environments will suffer due to how open they are. I always loved the really interesting look locations in FF so I hope they not only find ways to make the fields they've shown interesting, but also have a wide variety of other environments.

Also, I'm hoping that they find a way to improve the graphics for the landscape off in the distance. As is, that aspect of the visuals is pretty disappointing compared to other next-gen open world games such as Infamous and Far Cry 4. The same goes for the upcoming Zelda.

Hmm, I think at least the modelling in the environments is much better than either of those games you listed. The scale looks convincing in this game in ways that it doesn't quite in either Infamous or FC4. Combined with the lighting I think the landscape visuals are pretty tops. Overall, I think it looks better than Infamous.

Elios83

With one month to go and considering I'm paying to play this demo I'm not gonna spoil it for me.
I'd like to know though if the demo has some actual quests and/or glimpse of story or if it's more a grassland to explore with battles to learn the combat system?

zeromcd73

Oh right, I was just thinking because THIS official trailer was 60fps and assumed that the game would also be 60fps.

Damn. :(
Probably because it's running on Hexadrive's PS3 engine.

Hopefully they can get a PS4 engine going for XII HD and DQ8 HD. Assuming of course that SE are getting them to do it.

wmlk

With one month to go and considering I'm paying to play this demo I'm not gonna spoil it for me.
I'd like to know though if the demo has some actual quests and/or glimpse of story or if it's more a grassland to explore with battles to learn the combat system?

Both.

sn00zer

I still dont get the combat and still dont get why this isnt something like Kingdom Hearts combat. A lot of combos look completely out of the player's hands. The animations and everything seem to support straight action combat, but its not? Dont quite understand it.

wmlk

I still dont get the combat and still dont get why this isnt something like Kingdom Hearts combat. The animations and everything seem to support straight action combat, but its not? Dont quite understand it.

I have yet to see Kingdom Hearts combat with a party dynamic such as this. That was the focus clearly.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm really liking what I see. Dodging and teleporting look fantastic. We'll have to see how the AI is and how combos work.

It's nice to have honest, unedited combat gameplay footage.

It certainly looks promising but I'm concerned that the focus on an open world will make the environmental variety and overall presentation suffer. The fields shown so far are bland compared to past games in the series.

After all the "linear" jibes directed at FFXIII I think they deserve a break on actually delivering with wide open areas.

I'm really liking what I see. Dodging and teleporting look fantastic. We'll have to see how the AI is and how combos work.

It's nice to have honest, unedited combat gameplay footage.

Indeed. Both this and MGSV are my most anticipated games nad I've been spoiled in gameplay footage by both.

sn00zer

I have yet to see Kingdom Hearts combat with a party dynamic such as this. That was the focus clearly.

They seem to be doing their own thing just as much as any Kingdom Hearts game, (im sure they will have ff12 controls eventually) but this time you have to watch their health. Just looks like they sapped out any player agency.

chozen

Another one of my problems is how Noctis doesn't stick to his target like in KH1 and can end up dropping combos because of this. This was fixed in kh2 however and sora would slide and stuff and stick to his targets properly.

Exentryk

I still dont get the combat and still dont get why this isnt something like Kingdom Hearts combat. A lot of combos look completely out of the player's hands. The animations and everything seem to support straight action combat, but its not? Dont quite understand it.

The gameplay looked (felt) different to what they've been showing. Not in terms of abilities or anything, but the movement and strikes, and the UI. Going to have to analyse HQ versions with full translation before I can say more tho.

zeromcd73

You would think HD would do a better job on Type-0 considering the black magic they pulled off with Ōkami.
My two pet peeves:

1. Cutscenes now look worse then gameplay and have a green tint to them
2. Non-class 0 characters don't look anywhere near as good as them

Haven't played Okami HD, heard good things.

Another one of my problems is how Noctis doesn't stick to his target like in KH1 and can end up dropping combos because of this. This was fixed in kh2 however and sora would slide and stuff and stick to his targets properly.

Maybe the lock on needs some tweaking? Or do you think the hit detection is off?

Dark_castle

Did they mention anything about the AI? Gambits?

Doesn't seem like it, hopefully next week.

Btw, what happen at 1:03:45 where Noctis can still escape after everyone's HP drop to zero? I know there is supposed to be a grace period where Noctis can recover with item, but how would we receive gameover if all we need is making sure to grind and stock enough recovery items and use items to health Noctis before the red gauge completely drop to zero and prevent gameover? Not just that, but Noctis can run fast like a perfectly health man despite under the flashing red critical status.

Tabata and others are laughing around, so what was happening there?

Danlord

its not and that trailer isnt either.

Yeah I realise that now. I just remembered seeing the 1080p/60fps part in the title that's all, didn't even realise until now that's not even an official channel and the uploader put that in themselves.

I guess I just assumed because it's based on a PSP title from years ago, it could've been 60fps even with some added bells and whistles. Oh well, £34~ is still a good price for it regardless.

chozen

Maybe the lock on needs some tweaking? Or do you think the hit detection is off?

hmm maybe its their decision to make it like that but it's pretty annoying when those enemies ran so fast and every time he slashed he kept missing even tho he had the enemy targeted. Although when you turn on phantom sword you indeed do teleport and stick to targets.. So maybe that's the intention.

Kain

Btw, what happen at 1:03:45 where Noctis can still escape after everyone's HP drop to zero? I know there is supposed to be a grace period where Noctis can recover with item, but how would we receive gameover if all we need is making sure to grind and stock enough recovery items and use items to health Noctis before the red gauge completely drop to zero and prevent gameover? Not just that, but Noctis can run fast like a perfectly health man despite under the flashing red critical status.

Yeah, was wondering that too.

I'm thinking

- Either phoenix downs or whatever are in limited supply/stock

- It's a demo so it's made easy on purpose

- You can't get game over in this game, which seeing XIII it doesn't seem unlikely.

Exentryk

Well, Noctis could die if he got hit with strong hits during that grace period. But other than that, yeah, he can just run away and survive. The staff were probably just laughing coz Noctis barely escaped there.

Also, enemies may have long range attacks too later, so it may be harder to flee.

Top Bottom