• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesharey

It's confusing, I wanna do most side missions but I don't want to make the game easy, I guess I can stop spending AP points but then again I don't know how easy or hard it's going to be.

That's why I used to love lvl cap while playing the story in like FFXIII, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and other games who did similar thing.

I just did the first dungeon, I loved it a lot but was too easy (dunno if my characters were OP).
The music in the dungeon was amazing and I loved the interaction between the characters and the dialog, felt like Uncharted a bit.

Unrelated: I am so excited to finish writing this fucking book so I have free time to go back to FFXIV and play through Heavensward. Last time I played, I had JUST finished all the post-MSQ stuff. Hearing you and everyone else rave about HW makes me want to play it so badly.

Your writing a book? =O

Is it an exposé?

Gbraga

Shit, now I really want to know if the Type-F only area(s) was bullshit or not. >_>

Sora? Malik? halp

It's confusing, I wanna do most side missions but I don't want to make the game easy, I guess I can stop spending AP points but then again I don't know how easy or hard it's going to be.

That's why I used to love lvl cap while playing the story in like FFXIII, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and other games who did similar thing.

Well, quests have recommended levels attached to them. You can just make sure you advance the main quest every time that all of your sidequests are higher leveled than the current main. That should be good enough.

I cant agree.

Yes,review scores shouldn't matter but the bitter fact is they do matter hugley with the general public.

You wont get as many casuals/new fans into the gamr if it tanks below 8.

The opinion of the press matters a lot when it comes to buyability/perception of a game.

You're part of the press,so you know that better than I do.

I think she's referring to it on a personal enjoyment level. I remember Marvel Nemsis getting bad reviews but I still loved it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Thanks for saying this! I completely agree, but I didn't post it because I was afraid people would say it's just nitpicking lol

Nah, I'm with y'all. I don't like RPGs getting divvied up into chapters because (even though it is rarely true) it lends the impression of even fifteenths (or whatever) and suggests a possible level of critical path completion I'd rather not know ahead of time. If I'm seven chapters into a ten-chapter game and don't feel like stakes have been sufficiently ramped-up by that point, for example, I'm going to notice more readily and feel more let-down. It's all psychological, especially considering these games tend toward less evenly-spaced chapter identifiers (like Pulse's Chapter 11 in FFXIII feeling longer). But it has an impact on me I'd rather just not consider.

I have absolutely no idea if anything I just said made sense. I just know it's how I feel. I'd probably have liked FFVII a little bit less as an eleven-year-old kid in 1998 if I were being informed I was in Chapter 4 of 7 when a certain someone kicked the bucket, for example. When it happened, I had no idea how much seemed to be left. I didn't know if I'd have another half a game, another third of a game, or if I'd be given the golden opportunity to pummel Sephiroth's unruly head off the next morning. I just didn't know. It made it feel a bit more unpredictable. A bit more alive.

It's the stupidest little rant ever, I readily admit that. A terribly nothing hill to die on. I know. But I just do not like the expectations that tend to come with dividing plot-centric games up by predetermined chapter counts. :p

im weird

benzy

Random question to someone that already has the game and has Episode Duscae as well, can you take a comparison shot of the same location at roughly the same time of day? I don't know if I've seen any of that yet.

31128053111_0441895a8a_o.png

oubrgs.png

playXray

PSY・S;225457684 said:
Same. I consider Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance a masterpiece and the best film of the Vengeance Trilogy yet it's the lowest rated on RT by far at 54%. If I put too much stock in a few reviewers' scores I would've skipped it and miss out on a phenomenal film.

Whoa! Better than Oldboy? You crazy man!

(Still love Sympathy for Mr Vengeance though).

I cant agree.

Yes,review scores shouldn't matter but the bitter fact is they do matter hugley with the general public.

You wont get as many casuals/new fans into the gamr if it tanks below 8.

The opinion of the press matters a lot when it comes to buyability/perception of a game.

You're part of the press,so you know that better than I do.
Two of the biggest IP to launch this gen are below a 8

LotusHD

Banned
Nah, I'm with y'all. I don't like RPGs getting divvied up into chapters because (even though it is rarely true) it lends the impression of even fifteenths (or whatever) and suggests a possible level of critical path completion I'd rather not know ahead of time. If I'm seven chapters into a ten-chapter game and don't feel like stakes have been sufficiently ramped-up by that point, for example, I'm going to notice more readily and feel more let-down. It's all psychological, especially considering these games tend toward less evenly-spaced chapter identifiers (like Pulse's Chapter 11 in FFXIII feeling longer). But it has an impact on me I'd rather just not consider.

I have absolutely no idea if anything I just said made sense. I just know it's how I feel. I'd probably have liked FFVII a little bit less as an eleven-year-old kid in 1998 if I were being informed I was in Chapter 4 of 7 when a certain someone kicked the bucket, for example. When it happened, I had no idea how much seemed to be left. I didn't know if I'd have another half a game, another third of a game, or if I'd be given the golden opportunity to pummel Sephiroth's unruly head off the next morning. I just didn't know. It made it feel a bit more unpredictable. A bit more alive.

It's the stupidest little rant ever, I readily admit that. A terribly nothing hill to die on. I know. But I just do not like the expectations that tend to come with dividing plot-centric games up by predetermined chapter counts. :p

im weird

Nah, I see where you're coming from. Like you said, if I'm near the end, and not much has seemed to happen, it starts to affect me negatively as well, where I can easily be hoping hard af that stuff does happen in order to "make up" for it, rather than just focusing on enjoying whatever is presented in front of me. I do it with TV shows and anime all the time, so yea, video games wouldn't be any different.

On the bright side, I guess it makes it easier to discuss with other people. Like "Yo, how about that Ch. 5?" ;D

JobenNC

I've been following this thread to try and sort out my indecision regarding this game. All the talk about the classics has me instead starting up VIII for the first time in 15+ years. I quit a ways in (school, didn't "get" the junction system) and never gave another Final Fantasy a proper shot.

I'm so far surprised at how much fun I'm having. If this goes well, I might just try to push through IX and X. By then that remaster for XII will be out. You guys have me scared of XIII.

By the time all that's over, XV will be very cheap or I'll be very dead.

im weird
How about them discs though.

im weird

100% agree. Just want the tale to unfold naturally.

That said I do like game dividing gimmicks like switching between characters at set points (Suikoden 3) or major game world transitions (FF 6).

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Nah, I see where you're coming from. Like you said, if I'm near the end, and not much has seemed to happen, it starts to affect me negatively as well, where I can easily be hoping hard af that stuff does happen in order to "make up" for it, rather than just focusing on enjoying whatever is presented in front of me. I do it with TV shows and anime all the time, so yea, video games wouldn't be any different.

Yes! Exactly! Video games without "time stamps" like episode count and so forth have the rare opportunity to present us with unknown plot lengths and such. Most movies are going to be 2-2.5 hours long. Most TV season episode counts we will know ahead of time. Pick up a book and you'll see how far in you are every page of the way. It's a neat trick in subversion that some games can achieve. Chaptering it all up really wrecks that, at least subconsciously. But I guess maybe it's effective in attempting to up completion percentages among players (which I know is typically a lot lower than we might assume).

silva1991

Say it with me
I'm warp strikeing a rhino in the butt so I can get to leide!

Louder!

I AM WARP StrIkInG a RHiNo in the butt so I can gey to leide!

WHAT AM I ding oh please the 29th already, Im going insane!

Lagari, koozek , some help me im going omen dragonzdogma!!!!!

Ishida!!!!!

I'm interested in reading Ishida's opinion.

Will he be very disappointed if the story sucks/was lacking like he was with MGSV, or will he give it a pass?

The way the camera can be so fucked when fighting in certain areas with lot of trees or shrubs is awful. Same for tight spaces in dungeons.

Also warp points can be wonky, sometimes you have to look at a certain angle to warp to it and it really disrupts the flow

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
100% agree. Just want the tale to unfold naturally.

That said I do like game dividing gimmicks like switching between characters at set points (Suikoden 3) or major game world transitions (FF 6).

Oh, yeah. That stuff's neat.

How about them discs though.

You know... you raise an excellent point which I'd forgotten to take into account. Discs do act as progress markers. I think, as a kid, I was just so floored that FFVII Disc 1 lasted what (to me, at that time) felt like an eternity that even being told to change disc for the first time felt so monumental I didn't even consider the remaining-time implications. But yeah. Fair point.

LotusHD

Banned
Yes! Exactly! Video games without "time stamps" like episode count and so forth have the rare opportunity to present us with unknown plot lengths and such. Most movies are going to be 2-2.5 hours long. Most TV season episode counts we will know ahead of time. Pick up a book and you'll see how far in you are every page of the way. It's a neat trick in subversion that some games can achieve. Chaptering it all up really wrecks that, at least subconsciously. But I guess maybe it's effective in attempting to up completion percentages among players (which I know is typically a lot lower than we might assume).

Yep. I hate knowing when I'm getting closer to an ending, namely if I actually like what I'm watching/playing. Of course all things must come to an end (Which is why I tend to gravitate towards games that take a long ass time to complete), but stuff like chapters admittedly allows itself to enter into the back of my head, slowly gnawing as I'm playing that yes, I'm unfortunately nearly done with this game. Curse you psychology.

The most recent example of this was Last of Us I believe, with its seasons.

Tyaren

Can anyone compare the water and reflection quality. That is one section where the difference can be HUGE enough that it will greatly improve some of the areas.

Sadly, as I already thought, the reflections are for some reason inferior and glitchier in the Pro HQ version. :/

Pro LQ(base PS4:
31207760036_7a6ecbe497_o.png

Pro HQ:
31129384371_112d896b10_o.png

Pro LQ(base PS4:
31129377171_825523a0c4_o.png

Pro HQ:
31243769055_a2166b0367_o.png

It's hopefully something they can easily fix in the near future...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yep. I hate knowing when I'm getting closer to an ending, namely if I actually like what I'm watching/playing. Of course all things must come to an end, but stuff like chapters admittedly allows itself to enter into the back of my head, slowly gnawing as I'm playing that yes, I'm nearly done.

The most recent example of this was Last of Us I believe, with its seasons.

The Last of Us shifts seasons so artfully that the transition almost became part of the lasting appeal to me. I can recall two of the three season transitions being really memorable in and of themselves. Just for how abrupt they were. But I hear you. Under most circumstances I'd ;_; over knowing I'm that much closer to ending something I'm loving. "All good things..." and all that jazz. But. Curses.

I am glad some people are backing me up on this silly trivial preference. :p

benzy

It's funny how so few assets survived from ED.

The lighting still looked a heck of a lot nicer there though.

Lighting in the final game looks a lot better to me. You can even see the greenish light bounce from the grass/plants on the back of Noct's hair and his right shoulder in the final version which is completely absent in the Episode Duscae shot.

bkgc.png

Lighting in the final game looks a lot better to me. You can even see the greenish light bounce from the grass/plants on the back of Noct's hair and his right shoulder in the final version which is completely absent in the Episode Duscae shot.

bkgc.png

I agree - it looks a lot better.

『Inaba Resident』;225457231 said:
Given your apparent contact with reviewers, you seem really confident on this game reviewing very well. I hope you're right

I don't know numbers nor am I some sort of insider (although I do know a few insiders and reviewers, hence my confidence). I just expect it to do well.

OrionX

The Last of Us shifts seasons so artfully that the transition almost became part of the lasting appeal to me. I can recall two of the three season transitions being really memorable in and of themselves. Just for how abrupt they were. But I hear you. Under most circumstances I'd ;_; over knowing I'm that much closer to ending something I'm loving. "All good things..." and all that jazz. But. Curses.

Yeah, The Last of Us is one case where I thought that type of story structure worked well. Usually the chapter thing annoys me too though. I also wanted to go on a similar rant earlier, but I didn't have the energy, so thank you. lol

LotusHD

Banned

That's true. Also it was a delightful surprise that
you actually do get to play as Ellie. So all was forgiven. Until she killed that rabbit. I like rabbits...

I actually prefer chapter breaks with titles as it gives off a long, epic kind of feel. Just numbers alone don't do much for me.

I think you pretty much need a fade to black and a scene transition though in most instances for it to be effective, unless the chapter heading is coming in just shortly after gameplay starts. I thought UC4 did a great job with the chapter stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom