• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just glad they even tried to be experimental. The way the game was developed with such transparency, receiving and implementing on so much feedback made me fear it'd be stale and safe. An RPG made by focus testers because there's too much money on the line. I don't even care if it's inconsistent so long as they don't cause fundamental problems like XIII had.

Exactly what I felt playing those sections. Well said.

I loved Chapter 9. I only said the way it ended was WTF for me. As for Chapter 13, I really hated the section where we are powerless and it was also stretched far too much IMO. It could have worked well as a short sequence but alas. The ending of Chapter 13 is wicked though and then Chapter 14. This is the biggest leap from one story sequence to the next one, lol.

Oh, OK then. Yeah the blind Ignis thing was a huge WTF, and clearly a moment designed to sell DLCs later. I was super disappointed with it. The chapter itself was mindblowingly amazing though imo. The super sayian bit was what I was expecting from Versus in its early years.

As for chapter 13, I agree that it was longer than it should be, but god if I wasn't super immersed. I loved the idea of Noctis being alone without his power or his friends, cornered into using the ring. It was just a super cool idea, and the atmosphere of the dungeon was very wel-done imo. The jump scares, the Ardyn creepy comments, the notes you find explaining the deamons thing, and the MT! Oh god I wish they spent more time exploring that MTs twist, some heavy shit there. One of the most memorable chapters for me for sure.

Glad you loved the ending, it's one of my absolute favorite endings in any videogame ever made. It just felt right, man. Not only as an ending of the game, but as ending of the 10 years worth of waiting and anticipating. It just hit me hard.

Now that I had slept on it for a few days, and had more time to dig into the world the post-game content, I think this's where I'd rank the game among the series.

FFVI
FFVII
FFIX
FFXV
FFIV
FFX
FFXII

Despite my disappointment with the overall story and presentation, Final Fantasy XV was truly quite the Final Fantasy experience, whatever that means. The journey, the characters, the monsters, the combat, the dungeons, the set-pieces, the soundtrack, and the ending. It was not the return of the king I was wishing for, it didn't reach the highs of my holy trinity, but it was an experience that I'll never forget, and, in my opinion, the best JRPG to be ever released on the PlayStation systems in the last 10 years.

Kaisos

The first Final Fantasy had spells that just straight-up didn't work. Final Fantasy VI, one of the greatest games ever made, has more glitches than any Ubisoft game.

I'm aware, but those aren't graphical bugs and most of FFVI's barely affect regular gameplay.

What I'm trying to say is that Square-Enix games are usually impeccably polished and this is not.

The first Final Fantasy had spells that just straight-up didn't work. Final Fantasy VI, one of the greatest games ever made, has more glitches than any Ubisoft game.
giphy.gif

benzy

I assume the day one patch will be fixing at least some of these glitches people are complaining about, right? These are all still early copies people are playing.

I haven't seen anyone with the retail version replicate the Judgment demo glitches in those Twitter links.

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/802287426454462464
https://twitter.com/RadicaleroGames/status/800083190740357120
https://twitter.com/LioOneMorePixel/status/798524539227357184
https://twitter.com/ffworldcom/status/798496261460594688

Like I said, the game looks like a disaster.

This is literally all I'm seeing people talk about. That and how that the story is embarrassingly awful. What else am I supposed to think?

3 out of 4 links are from the demo. The other one I've only seen reported once and I believe it had something to do with his save file not updating after downloading the 7gb update.

And I don't know, you could try actually reading the thread (or other places that have impressions of this game) instead of seeing some pictures and coming in here automatically stating right of the bat that the game is incredibly buggy.

Kaisos

Show me an open world game without graphical bugs.

You can't because it doesn't exist.

Obviously nothing is -completely- free of bugs but the ones here are basically inexcusable. In addition, this game has been in some form of development for a decade...

Trace

Banned
Obviously nothing is -completely- free of bugs but the ones here are basically inexcusable. In addition, this game has been in some form of development for a decade...

A shader or cloth glitch is "basically inexcusable"? Really? I guess you've never played an open world game before.

Because there's stuff worse than those pictures in: Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, GTA5, WoW, (insert open world game here).

Kaisos

ye i cant believe they didnt fix some of these bugs in 2007

You know what I mean. There are certain expectations of quality from something that has been in development for that long.

A shader or cloth glitch is "basically inexcusable"? Really? I guess you've never played an open world game before.

Because there's stuff worse than those pictures in: Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, GTA5, WoW, (insert open world game here).

I mean, I expect Bethesda games to be full of terrible bugs that the fanbase then has to fix. I don't expect the same out of a Square-Enix game.

And yes, bugs like that are pretty inexcusable.

Kyoufu

the game as is probably wasn't in development for the entire 10 years

Probably since 2012.

I'm guessing it didn't pick up steam and head into full production until Tabata took over from Nomura and a lot of Nomura's work was probably discarded/changed anyway.

Trace

Banned
You know what I mean. There are certain expectations of quality from something that has been in development for that long.

I mean, I expect Bethesda games to be full of terrible bugs that the fanbase then has to fix. I don't expect the same out of a Square-Enix game.

And yes, bugs like that are pretty inexcusable.

So you also expect Blizzards, Rockstars, and CDPRs games to be full of terrible bugs as well since you just conveniently ignored those.

You don't have to fight them.

I figured but i wanted to try my skills lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe on my second playthrough

I echo your sentiments on the game, I can see the glimpses of the original premise somewhat alive . In a perfect world man that game would've been special. I'll beat the game tonight but it's in my top 5 FF not the return of the king but I'm extremely happy.

Kaisos

So you also expect Blizzards, Rockstars, and CDPRs games to be full of terrible bugs as well since you just conveniently ignored those.

I haven't played most of those games, but they certainly don't have the reputation Bethesda does. Red Dead Redemption on PS3 had many, many bugs which soured my experience though.

Falk

that puzzling face

There are certain expectations of someone at least skimming the impressions thread before posting in it. You're coming in here with secondary impressions, largely based on a demo, that runs counter to what a lot of people have been saying, and you're moving goalposts a lot as to what your perception of previous games of the series have or have not brought to the table.

If FFVI released today, you bet it'd get 'torn apart' (in a hostile manner or otherwise) on Twitter or clickbait-headline articles simply for being able to Vanish and X-Zone every boss.

XV is an open world game. It's going to be judged against expectations of a franchise as well as expectations vs other open world games. Just like XIV is judged both as a Final Fantasy and as an MMO.

Obviously I know that! But you would think more effort would have been put into finding these given how high expectations obviously are.

Game development isn't easy ya know. Shit happens. Game is completely playable and yes most games have wierd bugs or oddities that can be captured and shown off to give negative context to a game.

Trace

Banned
I haven't played most of those games, but they certainly don't have the reputation Bethesda does. Red Dead Redemption on PS3 had many, many bugs which soured my experience though.

Maybe because open world games by definition are less constrained so you get edge cases where random stuff will happen. It's not possible to fix everything, even if you've been patching stuff for years in the case of GTA and WoW. "SE should just fix it" sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about and are shitting on FFXV for the sake of shitting on it.

Mik317

open world means that somethings that normal people or even dedicated break testers won't be able to replicate or even think of.

shit happens.

its only a problem if it happens all over and consistently. Which (mind you is a low number) based on this thread that isn't the case...its fine. Not optimal and definately bad but it is what it is.

If any thing the weird dev cycle of this game, makes it more impressive that the damn thing isn't buggier IMO.

Kaisos

Given that literally everyone is refuting me I'm a little more assured that the game will be fairly bug-free at launch, so thank you.

If FFVI released today, you bet it'd get 'torn apart' (in a hostile manner or otherwise) on Twitter or clickbait-headline articles simply for being able to Vanish and X-Zone every boss.

This is a poor example. Vanish is a buff spell for party members, and you get neither that nor Death/X-Zone for quite some time in the game. What -might- take off is that Evasion and Blindness do literally nothing, but even then they aren't easily demonstrable visually like the Judgment Demo bugs have been.

Falk

that puzzling face
So did they fix all the weird reflection things with the water?

It's a bit hard to say what's fixed vs what isn't because the install-base for Judgment Disc is far, far larger than the install-base for a handful of people who got early copies, meaning less numbers brute-force coverage.

I think it'd be much safer to gauge what's fixed and what isn't on the 29th when a significantly larger install base starts going through the game and/or whatever patch drops on launch day, if any.

ps you're best bro for spelling it correctly

Given that literally everyone is refuting me I'm a little more assured that the game will be fairly bug-free at launch, so thank you.

This is a poor example. Vanish is a buff spell for party members, and you get neither that nor Death/X-Zone for quite some time in the game. What -might- take off is that Evasion and Blindness do literally nothing, but even then they aren't easily demonstrable visually like the Judgment Demo bugs have been.

Don't sketch or dragoon jump either =P

Trace

Banned
How?! I removed sprint bar, was annoying.

You need the sprint bar to time it. If you re-sprint right before you run out of stamina, it maxes your stamina and Noctis glows green for a half second.

I played through Judgement Demo twice, for about 9 hours. I didn't have a single one of these glitches, they aren't exactly gamebreaking or widespread.

LotusHD

Banned
You need the sprint bar to time it. If you re-sprint right before you run out of stamina, it maxes your stamina and Noctis glows green for a half second.

Unless they changed it in the final game, you actually don't need the bar. Noctis has a visual cue where his body looks like it's beginning to tire out and stop sprinting, and that'd be when you'd press it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom